Skip to content

My take on the Head Coach search

The Browns Board
101 36 5.3k
  • S sadbrownsfan wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I just hope it works out in the end... whether by careful planing and extensive search.... or just pure dumb luck.

  • I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    If it takes a football coach from Vanderbilt and a six-foot-nothing punk from Texas to turn this franchise around ... then I'm all for it.

    1497698_611183668918554_1467447328_n.jpg

    At least it would be bold. Going down in flames beats whimpering to the finish line every year like you are in a Groundhog Day movie.

    Zombo

  • I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Yep. Take a chance, Then let 'em play THEIR way & see what happens. However, it does look as if Franklin may be headed to Penn State.

    Mike

  • @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Yep. Take a chance, Then let 'em play THEIR way & see what happens. However, it does look as if Franklin may be headed to Penn State.

    Mike

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @canton-mike said:

    Yep. Take a chance, Then let 'em play THEIR way & see what happens. However, it does look as if Franklin may be headed to Penn State.

    Mike

    That would THRILL me as a Penn State fan. I hope so.

    As a Browns fan I am going to amp up my offseason drinking and google Browns videos from the 70's and 80's ... when we weren't great ... but we were fun ... and relevant.

    Zombo

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @mike-h said:

    Malzahn won't come to Cleveland. Too bad.

    Good.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mike-h said:

    People said that when Chip Kelly passed on the Browns too. Gus wrote the book on uptempo offense

    If they hire Gus .......and he goes 10-6 and wins the division, then GREAT hire.

    If they hire him, and they go 4-12...........see ya and Banner, and Lombardi

    WHOEVER THEY HIRE NEEDS TO WIN 8 GAMES.....................

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #13

    is anyone worried, given his prima donna attitude...that Manziel won't pull an Eli on us?

  • JPPT1974J JPPT1974 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Well would not worry about Manziel just yet. Need to worry about the coach. And getting one here!

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #15

    First - GREAT posts, Canton Mike, really OLD buddy, and Zombo. Seriously.

    Those two posts should be sent to the three potato heads at the Browns fo.

    Certified mail.

    Second - what players want to come to a perpetual zoo in the Browns fo?

    Or, what qualified coaches will even bother with an interview?

    I wouldn't blame Manziel if he pulled an "Eli" - there' no Broadway here for

    Johnny Broadway.

    Besides, I get tired of announcers talking about how Barfsonhisbooger and Flacco are big

    and tough to bring down and can stretch plays ....

  • @mike-h said:

    People said that when Chip Kelly passed on the Browns too. Gus wrote the book on uptempo offense

    If they hire Gus .......and he goes 10-6 and wins the division, then GREAT hire.

    If they hire him, and they go 4-12...........see ya and Banner, and Lombardi

    WHOEVER THEY HIRE NEEDS TO WIN 8 GAMES.....................

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #16

    @browns149 said:

    If they hire Gus .......and he goes 10-6 and wins the division, then GREAT hire.

    If they hire him, and they go 4-12...........see ya and Banner, and Lombardi

    WHOEVER THEY HIRE NEEDS TO WIN 8 GAMES.....................

    Yup, so when he doesn't, they can fire him and start the process all over again. MHO is Haslam should already have fired Banner and Lombardi for creating this PR mess.

    @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Currently I have 3 ABMs Beer- it's anything but Miller, Coaches- anything but McDaniels, qbs anything but Manziel. .

  • @browns149 said:

    If they hire Gus .......and he goes 10-6 and wins the division, then GREAT hire.

    If they hire him, and they go 4-12...........see ya and Banner, and Lombardi

    WHOEVER THEY HIRE NEEDS TO WIN 8 GAMES.....................

    Yup, so when he doesn't, they can fire him and start the process all over again. MHO is Haslam should already have fired Banner and Lombardi for creating this PR mess.

    @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Currently I have 3 ABMs Beer- it's anything but Miller, Coaches- anything but McDaniels, qbs anything but Manziel. .

    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @hoorta said:

    Currently I have 3 ABMs Beer- it's anything but Miller, Coaches- anything but McDaniels, qbs anything but Manziel. .

    Anything but miller? What about highlife, the champagne of beer?!

  • 7 7moses7 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Johnny Football hasn't made a decision to come out. Maybe he doesn't like the mock drafts of him comming to Cleveland.

  • @hoorta said:

    Currently I have 3 ABMs Beer- it's anything but Miller, Coaches- anything but McDaniels, qbs anything but Manziel. .

    Anything but miller? What about highlife, the champagne of beer?!

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @roycerolls said:

    Anything but miller? What about highlife, the champagne of beer?!

    isn't that michelob?

    either way both are nasty.

  • F Footbalfan1962 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Back to dominance?? r u 75 years old Mike?

  • I see one of two scenarios, both of which are disgusting....

    1) McDaniels has already agreed to accept the job & seeming unqualified candidates are being interviewed as a smoke screen to make the ultimate decision of hiring McDaniels look brilliant. This scenario is an insult to my intelligence.

    2) McDaniels has said "NO" & these are "panic" interviews because viable candidates, after talking to Chud, Norv, Ray, current players, and/or others in the know, have told the Haslam group they are not interested. This scenario tells me the current FO didn't anticipate possible repercussions from the one year firing of a rookie HC.

    IMHO, both scenarios came about due to deceit (Jimmys' pledge to us Fans of continuity), poor decision making (either making a lousy decision hiring Banner, Chud, or both), Banner hiring a totally unqualified Lombardi as GM, & Jimmy, to date, failing to hold Banner & Lombardi responsible for their part in this post season fiasco.

    Note to Jimmy Haslam.....You, sir, are dealing with arguably the most passionate Fan base in the NFL. You came with an opportunity to right many wrongs & bring this proud franchise back to dominance. Instead, you now own a franchise mired in distrust, disdain, & lacking the credibility to move forward. Last year, you could sell a FO with vision & a plan. NOW, what can you sell?

    I have been a faithful Browns' Fan since the mid 1950s & NEVER thought I would feel compelled to write something like this about the leadership of my beloved Browns.

    Jimmy, the above statements are my observations & perceptions. Only you can prove me wrong & I pray that you do, but I guess the key words are, "We'll see".

    Mike Flanagan...yes, I've put my real name to it.

    Please excuse my signature...It should read, "Yes men are NEVER leaders!"

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #21

    @canton-mike said:

    poor decision making (either making a lousy decision hiring Banner, Chud, or both), Banner hiring a totally unqualified Lombardi as GM, & Jimmy, to date, failing to hold Banner & Lombardi responsible for their part in this post season fiasco.

    maybe the mistake was hiring chud in the first place and they found out that he wasn't the solution 'they' were looking for and cut the cord before it got any tighter around 'their' necks.

    still i agree haslam needs to make lombardi and banner accountable and i hope they both are sitting on chairs with burning embers if they don't get this next year right with hirings, drafts, FA signings etc.

    i agree if we don't see a .500 record next year there will be some real accounting to do.

    i'm all about continuity too, unless you have the talent to win and you don't. then that falls on the coaches. bye bye.

    on another subject: about manziel. i was listening to mike and mike in the background this morning and something one of them caught me and rings true. with johnny you're kinda getting the tebow show. if hoyer starts the year and we are losing, how long is it going to take for everyone to start the "WE WANT JOHNNY!!!" chant? i mean i like his fire and his ability BUT ya gotta realize he's one NFL hit from being on a stretcher.

  • I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    that's what I've been thinkin...only with Evans.
  • @roycerolls said:

    Anything but miller? What about highlife, the champagne of beer?!

    isn't that michelob?

    either way both are nasty.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @miktoxic said:

    isn't that michelob?

    either way both are nasty.

    definitely Highlife. Agreed.
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @mike-h said:

    Every QB is one hit from being on a stretcher. If that's the only concern you've got, then hop on the Johnny train.

    He isn't "small" for his height, definitely built enough to survive.

    6'0"-6'1" and 210lbs.

    Hoyer is 6'2", 215lbs.

    If you have an issue with his size and durability, you have to question Hoyers, who missed most of an NFL season already.

    Yes, I was looking at this earlier. An extra inch/6lb isn't a huge amount of difference. It's not like Manziel is a twig like Bridgewater.

  • tml1138T tml1138 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mike-h said:

    Every QB is one hit from being on a stretcher. If that's the only concern you've got, then hop on the Johnny train.

    He isn't "small" for his height, definitely built enough to survive.

    6'0"-6'1" and 210lbs.

    Hoyer is 6'2", 215lbs.

    If you have an issue with his size and durability, you have to question Hoyers, who missed most of an NFL season already.

    Valid point but Manziel is the type of guy who will take bigger risks, more likely causing injury to himself.

  • @mike-h said:

    Every QB is one hit from being on a stretcher. If that's the only concern you've got, then hop on the Johnny train.

    He isn't "small" for his height, definitely built enough to survive.

    6'0"-6'1" and 210lbs.

    Hoyer is 6'2", 215lbs.

    If you have an issue with his size and durability, you have to question Hoyers, who missed most of an NFL season already.

    Valid point but Manziel is the type of guy who will take bigger risks, more likely causing injury to himself.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @tml1138 said:

    Valid point but Manziel is the type of guy who will take bigger risks, more likely causing injury to himself.

    or is he in a better situation to take care of himself with the added athleticism?