Skip to content

My take on the Head Coach search

The Browns Board
101 36 5.3k
  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #71

    I think its pretty clear Adam Gase is their first choice.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #72

    Soccer was called soccer in England up until about 1970.

    Then, England switched to "football."

    Fun fact: The 3rd place finisher at the very first World Cup, held in Uruguay in 1930, was the US.

  • I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #73

    @shep said:

    I'm getting this very powerful James Franklin, Johnny Manziel, Jordan Matthews vibe lately. I think it would be received quite positively on the national level, actually.

    And another vibe bites the dust...

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    All (Manziel) has to do is realize he can't take the hits and learn not to risk his health for 3 extra yards.

    Yup... but to do that Manziel has to reign in his competitiveness...

    @mike-h said:

    Every QB is one hit from being on a stretcher. If that's the only concern you've got, then hop on the Johnny train. If you have an issue with his size and durability, you have to question Hoyers, who missed most of an NFL season already.

    (Manziel) can also make more would-be tacklers miss than most.

    IF he sees them... Manziel's issue is the frequency with which he puts himself in severe injury situations.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @mike-h said:

    People said that when Chip Kelly passed on the Browns too. Gus wrote the book on uptempo offense

    Literally.

    Good read.

    It's why I'm on the Gus Bus. He's adapted his to both the high school and college levels and found success. He's a coach who adapts his offense to his players skills, not the other way around.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #75

    Agree on Malzahn, but read that he is staying put.

    I am also kinda intrigued by the Seahawks DC, Quinn.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #76

    Anyone who wants the job is fine with me. I will laugh if we don't have coach by Draft time. would not be surprised.

  • @mike-h said:

    Could explain why McDaniels wasn't offered the job.

    he was offered it, but turned it down.

    YEP, that's how bad the state of affairs is in berea right now.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @mike-h said:

    @miktoxic said:

    he was offered it, but turned it down.

    URL?

    YEP, that's how bad the state of affairs is in berea right now.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/josh-mcdaniels-no-longer-candidate-for-cleveland-browns-job-010814?par:fscom:traffic_fan

    ok, they couldn't offer him the job because he is still in the midst of the playoffs. i thought it was a given that lombardi was pulling for mcdaniels, at least the was the consensus on this board.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #78

    man i'm just watching the seattle game, too bad we can't steal their GM away. now that's a guy that knows how to build a team.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #79

    Do not get any ideas mik in regards how an organization should be run!! Stay the course. lol

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #80

    @mike-h said:

    Lol are you serious? Playing football is putting yourself in severe injury position.

    I can't do this anymore

    Totally serious, Mike... but in retrospect I should have said "big hit situations".

    It's the difference between running OB to avoid a hit and going for the extra yard and a half. It's cutting back inside against the grain versus going with flow of the D.

    In short... it's the proverbial better part of valor.

    Unlike Russell Wilson, to this point Johnny has shown competitiveness over self-preservation. Someday he may learn, but as of now that lesson in his future promises to be as painful as RG3's has been.

    And I'm not sure that RG3 has learned it yet. I am sure that aggressive running was part of what made RG3 the rookie he was. Without that part of his game, will he ever rise to that level again?

  • Anyone who wants the job is fine with me. I will laugh if we don't have coach by Draft time. would not be surprised.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @lbc-mike said:

    Anyone who wants the job is fine with me. I will laugh if we don't have coach by Draft time. would not be surprised.

    Maybe Haslam can one up Jerry Jones and coach the team himself...

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @mike-h said:

    I think what you're trying to equate, RG3 + knee injury, is impossible to do when applying as a general assessment of players. Plenty of QBs run like Manziel in the NFL. Look at Kaep or Cam, running around, throwing at the last second before crossing the LOS and taking big hits. Injuries happen, especially to mobile QBs, but they happen to all QBs, I.e. Hoyer.

    I've seen Russ take some monster shots. That argument holds little weight with me. To each his own.

    so it's obviously you want us to pick one of the top 3 QB's in this draft.

    so in your unbiased opinion, being the journalist that you are, which QB should we try and get?

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #83

    @mike-h said:

    I'm not done looking at Bortles and Manziel. Leaning towards Johnny.

    everyone say he's the most nfl ready. let's just hope he hits the gym and puts on some weight. plus you might as well kiss some of the more important draft picks for this draft and next year's away.

    IMO someone is going to fall to #4.

  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #84

    I like Whisenhunt, heck, while we're at it we could bring in Kurt Warner to qb coach/mentor either Bridgewater or Johnny Football

  • I like Whisenhunt, heck, while we're at it we could bring in Kurt Warner to qb coach/mentor either Bridgewater or Johnny Football

    stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @stillmotion said:

    I like Whisenhunt, heck, while we're at it we could bring in Kurt Warner to qb coach/mentor either Bridgewater or Johnny Football

    Or better yet, Bernie can teach Johnny the Cleveland football way of life.

  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by
    #86

    Oh we gonna hire a coach that's on a team in the playoffs now...that's what they waiting on..if we go two weeks after the super bowl...then we might be looking at WVU coaching staff for this hire

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #87

    I'm beginning to find this "search" amusing...Lombardi (stooge #3) aka Tatoo, saying to Banner (stooge #2) aka "De Boss, with a lisp"........

    "De PLAN Boss, De PLAN! What de hell happened to de PLAN?

    #2 to #3..."Don't worry Tatoo. After all, this IS Fantasy Island".

    FO egos=NFL laughing stocks

    Mike

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #88

    Munchak interviewing too

  • I like Whisenhunt, heck, while we're at it we could bring in Kurt Warner to qb coach/mentor either Bridgewater or Johnny Football

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @stillmotion said:

    I like Whisenhunt, heck, while we're at it we could bring in Kurt Warner to qb coach/mentor either Bridgewater or Johnny Football

    i heard he's a hair drop away from signing with detroit.

    @jeffinwv said:

    Oh we gonna hire a coach that's on a team in the playoffs now...that's what they waiting on..if we go two weeks after the super bowl...then we might be looking at WVU coaching staff for this hire

    in that case let's start interviewing rob ryan.

    dude looks like westside steve from the neck up and i hear he plays a mean guitar.

  • @stillmotion said:

    I like Whisenhunt, heck, while we're at it we could bring in Kurt Warner to qb coach/mentor either Bridgewater or Johnny Football

    i heard he's a hair drop away from signing with detroit.

    @jeffinwv said:

    Oh we gonna hire a coach that's on a team in the playoffs now...that's what they waiting on..if we go two weeks after the super bowl...then we might be looking at WVU coaching staff for this hire

    in that case let's start interviewing rob ryan.

    dude looks like westside steve from the neck up and i hear he plays a mean guitar.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @miktoxic said:

    i heard he's a hair drop away from signing with detroit.

    in that case let's start interviewing rob ryan.

    dude looks like westside steve from the neck up and i hear he plays a mean guitar.

    Rob Ryan's two donuts away from a triple bypass.