Skip to content

Who is the number one player you want in the 2014 draft?

The Browns Board
135 30 3.9k
  • You forgot to add in your poll whether Banner and/or Lombardi should be gone. If they stay, they'll do what they want to do, hire & draft who they want, & we Fans will have to live with what they've done. What I wonder is WHO'S going to coach whatever draft pick we get? That could actually be a pretty damned amusing sideshow. We'll see.

    Mike

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @canton-mike said:

    You forgot to add in your poll whether Banner and/or Lombardi should be gone. If they stay, they'll do what they want to do, hire & draft who they want, & we Fans will have to live with what they've done. What I wonder is WHO'S going to coach whatever draft pick we get? That could actually be a pretty damned amusing sideshow. We'll see.

    Mike

    It depends on who had the final say in firing Chud. If it was Haslam, he's an impatient asshole, and if Banner, he's an overconfident asshole who thinks he's so great at coaching evaluation he can pull a young Andy Reid out of his ass. Sideshow? It's a freaking three ring circus, and it's not very amusing.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Derek Carr - and while we're at it, Mettenburger - both would be just Weeden 2.0. Plus, he's not exactly huge, he's smaller and slower than Bortles. I'm on board with any of Bortles, Manziel or Bridgewater.

    I'd keep Horton and Turner, but I doubt that'll happen.

  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by
    #14

    What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

  • What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #15

    @jeffinwv said:

    What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    Yes I think everyone remembers. Remember yourself that Watkins is one of the best receivers to come out in a long long time. None of these quarterbacks would probably crack the top ten in a stronger quarterback draft. And there are four or five of them to split up the vote.

    WSS

  • J J0hnnybg00d wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I didn't want to pick Watkins because he beat my Buckeyes, but why not Watkins and maybe grab Boyd to throw to him. Still would want to see Hoyer thowing to him this year though and if Hoyer fails let Boyd start the next year. If Hoyer does good then let them battle it out . Glad i'm not the guy who has to make the picks this year, they'll have alot of mad fans if they make the wrong picks. I don't care who they pick for the record, just hope they get it right... for once. I swear it seems the Browns scouts are as clueless as me about this shit.

  • What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @jeffinwv said:

    What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    I voted for Watkins, only because I think its a "safe" pick. I'm not enamored with any of these QB prospects (Manziel did impress me in his bowl game). Plus, I don't trust Gordon to stay clean.

    Hell, I'd take a chance on Grappollo or Kenny Guiton later in the draft, and get Watkins (if he's there) early, then get an impact-making MLB at 26. Shore up the O-line if that doesn't work out.

    We have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds; 5 players in about 120 picks. We have a great chance to fill holes, we can't blow it again.

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I'd take Watkins over the QB's in this draft.

    As much as I'd like to hope that Johnny would come in and light it up, I feel like he is the next RGIII on constant rehab.

    I feel like Hoyer has just as good of/ maybe better chance to come in and play solid as any of these rookies would.

    Watkins, Gordon, and Cameron plus a solid running game.... I think Hoyer takes the helm with that crew and wins alot of games.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I can't believe everyone is ready to put this much faith in Hoyer....undeserved. I think he'd make a great mentor, and backup, to whoever were gonna draft.

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214
    #20

    @mike-h said:

    "Johnny is the next RG3 on rehab"

    Is everyone taking crazy pills? He is bigger than Russel Wilson, and isn't a twig.

    You guys, man, use some of the dumbest reasons to "evaluate" players.

    Nah, just watch him dive HEAD first on every highlight reel.

    Russel Wilson has Lynch to run for him. Browns have _______?

    Russel Wilson wasn't a top ten pick. If Johnny was in the third round, he'd be a no brainer.

  • I can't believe everyone is ready to put this much faith in Hoyer....undeserved. I think he'd make a great mentor, and backup, to whoever were gonna draft.

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214
    #21

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I can't believe everyone is ready to put this much faith in Hoyer....undeserved. I think he'd make a great mentor, and backup, to whoever were gonna draft.

    Just think most people are sick of seeing the 1st round wasted on a bust QB. If Hoyer turns into a Orton/Hasselbeck/ 2nd tier QB, that would get great for a few years.

    Draft someone in the third every year until you find someone. Meanwhile draft safe skill players at the top of the draft and get better every year.

    OR

    Keep drafting bust QB's, "cause it's a passing league" and hope you hit on one early, then spend 5 years taking lumps while you build around him, sucking all the time, losing good vets to better teams, bring in no name free agents, and hoping you draft well with a guy that took a kicker in the 1st round.

    Whatever.

    Won't be excited to see Johnny get picked, but won't blow the roof off like I did when they drafted Weeden either.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Like I've said in multiple threads. If you dont have a QB, youre just spinning tires till you find one. We cant afford to let past QB failures deter us from trying to find one. Every scout in America has three QB's among their top 15-20 players overall. We need to get one, we have to get one. In all likelihood we won't be able to get Winston next year and other than him, none will be any better prospects than what's available this year. Keep swinging.

  • Like I've said in multiple threads. If you dont have a QB, youre just spinning tires till you find one. We cant afford to let past QB failures deter us from trying to find one. Every scout in America has three QB's among their top 15-20 players overall. We need to get one, we have to get one. In all likelihood we won't be able to get Winston next year and other than him, none will be any better prospects than what's available this year. Keep swinging.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #23

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Like I've said in multiple threads. If you dont have a QB, youre just spinning tires till you find one. We cant afford to let past QB failures deter us from trying to find one. Every scout in America has three QB's among their top 15-20 players overall. We need to get one, we have to get one. In all likelihood we won't be able to get Winston next year and other than him, none will be any better prospects than what's available this year. Keep swinging.

    Winston and Mariota, as well as Hundley make the 2015 class better than this one, probably. But do you tank a season for one of those guys? If they wanted to tank, they'd have kept Chud - no point letting him go if they wanted to tank a season. I think they're all in on a QB this year.

    Yes, a QB is necessary - a reasonable one will get you to the playoffs, but no further. See Dalton, Schaub, Cutler and all the rest.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Which is Hoyers ceiling. None of those three are even guaranteed to come out next year. Playoffs sound dreamy to me.

  • C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #25

    You can't be gun shy going into the draft. Mistakes will be made, but you have to get what you need. Hoyer did well for the brief time he was healthy, but is still unproven. Regardless of our recent draft history, we still need to get a qb, and odds are it will need to be our first pick. Take Manziel with the first, and if needed, move up 2 spots to assure it. I assume we'll have a coach by then and know what type of schemes we'll be using, so fill the needs with the other picks. If McCarron in there in the 3rd, take him to. Hell , why not.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Surprised at the Horton/Turner differences considering how much better defense was over offense this year

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I'd say they both had their problems, and I wouldn't necessarily say the defense was better.

  • Surprised at the Horton/Turner differences considering how much better defense was over offense this year

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @londonbrown said:

    Surprised at the Horton/Turner differences considering how much better defense was over offense this year

    I'd say defence, like the team in general, got worse over the season. Offence got better, IMHO.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Defense was surely better than offense over the season? It would have been even better if it wasn't on the field all the bloody time

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Agreed, but the offense did some good things as well. Both struggled when it mattered.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I think Turner did more with what he had than Horton.