Skip to content

Who is the number one player you want in the 2014 draft?

The Browns Board
135 30 3.9k
  • @jeffinwv said:

    What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @jcam222 said:

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    yes WE are in the minority.

  • @jeffinwv said:

    What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @jcam222 said:

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    What do you consider reaching?
  • @jcam222 said:

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    What do you consider reaching?
    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #60

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    What do you consider reaching?

    i consider reaching our second first and a third rounder. that means we got one pick in the second to pick up a WR RB or CB then another in the third to get what? i mean the talent is in the first 2 rounds and none of these QBs coming out is worth trading our most valuable picks to jump up one spot ala TR or even worse what the skins did to get RG3.

    stand pat @4 and we should land one of the guys. i've just looked over a bunch of mock drafts on different sites and they have us taking everyone from robinson the guard to barr the linebacker to bortles or manziel and 3 sites had us picking carr.

    so what do i or you or anyone know.

    oh and the bullshit line "it's a passing league now". oh yeah, do you know out of all the playoff games combined they had more rushes for more yards than passing attempts and yardage. so put that in your pipe and smoke it. yes it had to do with the conditions in december and january. what do you think the conditions would be like in brown's stadium if god forbid we had a home playoff game?

    just saying.

  • @jcam222 said:

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    What do you consider reaching?
    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #61

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    What do you consider reaching?

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #62

    Mike H, I'm sorry but you've obviously mistaken me for somebody who gives a fuck. You are an idiot, keep trying though, maybe someday you'll say something intelligent. How did you even get in here, did someone leave your cage open again. Go back to your fucking bridge you troll motherfucker, don't you have some goats to chase down and fuck?

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    What do you consider reaching?

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @jcam222 said:

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

    I get what youre sayin. Id give em all B+ grades that should go lower. But the problem is, they are the best of the bunch. A guys value is only what teams are willing to spend on em. If we pass on any of the 3 at 4 they'll all be gone by the time Minnesota comes around. There are a lot of QB needy teams. So now you get down to 26 and maybe Carr's got a mid second grade, and miraculously hes still there, because every other team that hasn't got one knows we need one, do you reach there? You keep hoping the guy you want falls to you. I say go get your guy.
  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #64

    As for the draft, again, I would go with Carr if we take a QB. Watkins if we take a skill player and Clowney if we defense first. I don't think we should go D first but Clowney could be the piece that really sets our defense up for top 5 status.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    What do you consider reaching?

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

    C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @jcam222 said:

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

    A surefire athlete won't excite the fanbase. The Browns fans are teetering on the brink of not giving a shit. The fans under 30 really don't bleed orange and brown because they've never been part of a winning team, and many of the older ones have about had it. This FO needs to give the fans a

    reason to care, whether with a coach, or players that can fill seats and excite the base. They have to address the QB situation this year, and the folks need to know that it's not hopeless.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    What do you consider reaching?

    i consider reaching our second first and a third rounder. that means we got one pick in the second to pick up a WR RB or CB then another in the third to get what? i mean the talent is in the first 2 rounds and none of these QBs coming out is worth trading our most valuable picks to jump up one spot ala TR or even worse what the skins did to get RG3.

    stand pat @4 and we should land one of the guys. i've just looked over a bunch of mock drafts on different sites and they have us taking everyone from robinson the guard to barr the linebacker to bortles or manziel and 3 sites had us picking carr.

    so what do i or you or anyone know.

    oh and the bullshit line "it's a passing league now". oh yeah, do you know out of all the playoff games combined they had more rushes for more yards than passing attempts and yardage. so put that in your pipe and smoke it. yes it had to do with the conditions in december and january. what do you think the conditions would be like in brown's stadium if god forbid we had a home playoff game?

    just saying.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @miktoxic said:

    i consider reaching our second first and a third rounder. that means we got one pick in the second to pick up a WR RB or CB then another in the third to get what? i mean the talent is in the first 2 rounds and none of these QBs coming out is worth trading our most valuable picks to jump up one spot ala TR or even worse what the skins did to get RG3.

    stand pat @4 and we should land one of the guys. i've just looked over a bunch of mock drafts on different sites and they have us taking everyone from robinson the guard to barr the linebacker to bortles or manziel and 3 sites had us picking carr.

    so what do i or you or anyone know.

    oh and the bullshit line "it's a passing league now". oh yeah, do you know out of all the playoff games combined they had more rushes for more yards than passing attempts and yardage. so put that in your pipe and smoke it. yes it had to do with the conditions in december and january. what do you think the conditions would be like in brown's stadium if god forbid we had a home playoff game?

    just saying.

    I agree 100% on being able to run the ball. We need a RB a real FB and a real G. I Pray we get Asamoah (which we won't) or draft a g 26 or in the second. But them QB's left aint too shabby either.
  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #67

    What the fuck does Trent Richardson have to do with this?

    Am I saying ANYTHING about the runningback position at all?

    You can say Trent Richardson all you want, the fact remains, I called the pick so fuck off. That was 2 years ago, let it go little man... let it go... You like to act like I'm the only person that liked the guy. You act like your wife was one of the hoes he fucked in that video, bitter and angry at the guy for no reason.

    This is about who you would take, I don't even know who you selected because all you do is talk shit. Who did you pick?

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #68

    You still haven't said who you'd take... but I'm gonna bet money that it's Bridgewater. - You're so predictable, picking a player based on your birthplace... 😉

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @mike-h said:

    It depends who I'd take. I'm not 100% but I picked Manziel on the poll. It's January, I'm still watching games.

    Now, was that so hard? I actually figured you for Manziel but Bridgewater went with my troll dig. Anyways, I liked Manziel as well, up until this past weekend, I read up on Carr and I have a good feeling about this guy.

    I get it, Manziel is the flashier pick. I wouldn't mind Manziel really. I actually wouldn't mind any Qb, as long as his name isn't Weeden I'm golden.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @mike-h said:

    What are your credentials to give anyone a B+ grade, and how did you come up with that ranking?

    Both Bridgewater and Manziel have gotten higher marks from experts.

    Whoa buddy...we need credentials to strap grades on prospects on the Browns Board? What credentials do you have to ask me for credentials? I came up with it through pros and cons of each one and Ive seen em all play multiple times. Ive read others opinions on em and I was really just generalizing the grades to get my point across.
  • @mike-h said:

    It depends who I'd take. I'm not 100% but I picked Manziel on the poll. It's January, I'm still watching games.

    Now, was that so hard? I actually figured you for Manziel but Bridgewater went with my troll dig. Anyways, I liked Manziel as well, up until this past weekend, I read up on Carr and I have a good feeling about this guy.

    I get it, Manziel is the flashier pick. I wouldn't mind Manziel really. I actually wouldn't mind any Qb, as long as his name isn't Weeden I'm golden.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @poeticg said:

    Now, was that so hard? I actually figured you for Manziel but Bridgewater went with my troll dig. Anyways, I liked Manziel as well, up until this past weekend, I read up on Carr and I have a good feeling about this guy.

    I get it, Manziel is the flashier pick. I wouldn't mind Manziel really. I actually wouldn't mind any Qb, as long as his name isn't Weeden I'm golden.

    Carr really scares me with his Weedenitis.
  • @jeffinwv said:

    What I don't understand is how the biggest vote getter is a WR!WTF! They need a QB...remember?

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #72

    @jcam222 said:

    More importantly than needing a QB is not over reaching for one. I suppose I am in the minority but to me if you put Gordon, Watkins and Cameron on the field for Hoyer to throw to I am happy. Put someone like Mettlenberger on the bench to learn behind him.

    I'll take a "sure thing" wr over a maybe qb @ #4 anytime. Watkins is the best coming out since AJ Green, if you're counting regular draft. We got lucky with Gordon.

    @cuwoohio said:

    A surefire athlete won't excite the fanbase. The Browns fans are teetering on the brink of not giving a shit. The fans under 30 really don't bleed orange and brown because they've never been part of a winning team, and many of the older ones have about had it. This FO needs to give the fans a

    reason to care, whether with a coach, or players that can fill seats and excite the base. They have to address the QB situation this year, and the folks need to know that it's not hopeless.

    It's hopeless. The Stooges are going to get a third tier- at best HC to run the show. If they think Johnny Football is going to excite the fan base, they're dead wrong- as usual. Another Holmgren\Heckert desperation Richardson\Weeden move redux. I won't be buying it, and I'll bet a lot of the other season ticket holders will see it for exactly what it is- a publicity stunt.

    @mike-h said:

    "Johnny is the next RG3 on rehab"

    Is everyone taking crazy pills? He is bigger than Russel Wilson, and isn't a twig.

    You guys, man, use some of the dumbest reasons to "evaluate" players.

    Three dings for Manziel and you're out pal. Agreed, they could be inconsequential- Thomas & Munoz have\had stayed healthy in the pros despite torn ACLs in college. However, it's a major, major concern- at least in my book- and plenty of other scouts with more cred than me. So are his off- field antics, Marino was a Party Hardy, but go try finding another example.

    BTW, you haven't said relative jack about the other qbs- or you letting your love affair with Johnny Football color your vision?

    I'll pull one out of Shep's book. One of the best predictors of NFL success is the # of games a qb has started in college. Admittedly, it's not foolproof (McCoy), but it does hold for guys like the Mannings, Brees, and Rodgers. Johnny Football doesn't rate.

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #73

    I'm ready for the draft. The way I see it, if the Brown's do screw up the #4 pick, we won't know for sure for a couple of years anyway. That means in May we'll have some hope with the new roster. I picked Bortles in the poll, but in all reality if we get Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel, Watkins, or Clowney or even trade down to the 7-10 range and pick up a guy like Dennard out of Michigan State, then I'll say "cool". I've been critical of some of these guys, but what's nice is that I'm just a random dude who likes football and has already made the emotional investment to back the Browns come hell or high water. I mean, what the fuck do I know about who will be good two years from now, I have bad credit, no car and an ugly girlfriend, FUCK!

    Two years from now I may find myself lamenting the Brown's 2014 draft, but I'm used to that feeling. What it really comes down to is that there is a lot of talent in this draft, and the Browns own a lot of valuable picks. The coaching scenario is a shit sandwich but as far as the possibilities of the 2014 Brown's roster after considering the draft and FA, I'm pretty excited. I guess what I'm really getting at is while these are challenging times to be a Browns fan, we're as tough a bunch as any and life is a lot more fun if you don't take yourself too seriously....a craft brew and a bong-load of dankity dank every now and then doesn't hurt either.

    #theresalwaysnextyear #staythecourse #callousedtothecrap #fuckbitches #getmoney #odoylerules

  • @jcam222 said:

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

    A surefire athlete won't excite the fanbase. The Browns fans are teetering on the brink of not giving a shit. The fans under 30 really don't bleed orange and brown because they've never been part of a winning team, and many of the older ones have about had it. This FO needs to give the fans a

    reason to care, whether with a coach, or players that can fill seats and excite the base. They have to address the QB situation this year, and the folks need to know that it's not hopeless.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @cuwoohio said:

    A surefire athlete won't excite the fanbase. The Browns fans are teetering on the brink of not giving a shit. The fans under 30 really don't bleed orange and brown because they've never been part of a winning team, and many of the older ones have about had it. This FO needs to give the fans a

    reason to care, whether with a coach, or players that can fill seats and excite the base. They have to address the QB situation this year, and the folks need to know that it's not hopeless.

    Short term that might sell tickets and I do mean short term as in less than a season. The rest depends on results. If and when we put headcase Colt 2.0 on the field and he implodes you are right back in the same boat. You cannot possibly tell me that the result of Hoyer throwing to Gordon/Watkins/Cameron along with a running back and a bolstered right side of the OL wouldn't produce exciting results.

  • @jcam222 said:

    My opinion is that taking any of the QB's in this class in the top 5 is a reach. It is obviously just and opinion but it is mine. i do not think any of them will prove to be elite talents in the NFL. I do believe there are prospects to take in the lower 1st to mid 2nd round who are solid risks while landing a surefire athlete at the number 4 pick.

    I get what youre sayin. Id give em all B+ grades that should go lower. But the problem is, they are the best of the bunch. A guys value is only what teams are willing to spend on em. If we pass on any of the 3 at 4 they'll all be gone by the time Minnesota comes around. There are a lot of QB needy teams. So now you get down to 26 and maybe Carr's got a mid second grade, and miraculously hes still there, because every other team that hasn't got one knows we need one, do you reach there? You keep hoping the guy you want falls to you. I say go get your guy.
    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #75

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I get what youre sayin. Id give em all B+ grades that should go lower. But the problem is, they are the best of the bunch. A guys value is only what teams are willing to spend on em. If we pass on any of the 3 at 4 they'll all be gone by the time Minnesota comes around. There are a lot of QB needy teams. So now you get down to 26 and maybe Carr's got a mid second grade, and miraculously hes still there, because every other team that hasn't got one knows we need one, do you reach there? You keep hoping the guy you want falls to you. I say go get your guy.

    Apples are on sale today but there are only 3 apples left in the bin. They are all really big tasty looking apples but each of them have a visible bad spot. Now the bad spot may be small under the surface or it may extend throughout the apple. I do have a decent one at home and the manager has offered me a rain check to get choices from better apples later.

    Me I am going to go ahead and wait and rather than pick the best potential turd . I will pick from a better crop later and be satisfied with the more than adequate apple I already have. As a bonus I instead opted to pick the best damn banana I have seen in years. I hear that banana can catch balls like a fiend.

  • I did choose Carr as my number 1.

    I think that as long as there is this stigma that Derek Carr = David Carr we might be able to capitalize on that and land Carr, Watkins and Hyde.

    Imagine if you will: Derek Carr lined up behind our O-Line, with Gordon and Watkins split wide with Benjamin in the slot. Jordan Cameron as the TE and Hyde in the backfield. It would work.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @poeticg said:

    I did choose Carr as my number 1.

    I think that as long as there is this stigma that Derek Carr = David Carr we might be able to capitalize on that and land Carr, Watkins and Hyde.

    Imagine if you will: Derek Carr lined up behind our O-Line, with Gordon and Watkins split wide with Benjamin in the slot. Jordan Cameron as the TE and Hyde in the backfield. It would work.

    LOL... No you did not... I do not care which button you punched in the poll, in your post you took Watkins at 4 and Carr at 26.

    Did you not even understand your own poll question?

  • I can't believe everyone is ready to put this much faith in Hoyer....undeserved. I think he'd make a great mentor, and backup, to whoever were gonna draft.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #77

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I can't believe everyone is ready to put this much faith in Hoyer....undeserved. I think he'd make a great mentor, and backup, to whoever were gonna draft.

    What makes you think "he'd be a great mentor"?

    @hx214 said:

    Draft someone in the third every year until you find someone. Meanwhile draft safe skill players at the top of the draft and get better every year.

    OR

    Keep drafting bust QB's, "cause it's a passing league" and hope you hit on one early, then spend 5 years taking lumps while you build around him, sucking all the time, losing good vets to better teams, bring in no name free agents, and hoping you draft well with a guy that took a kicker in the 1st round.

    Basically my position except I have no issue with taking a QB every year, if you see starter potential in a prospect... and it matters not whether you already have a good one on your roster.

    You take the BPA... from pick one thru pick last...

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Like I've said in multiple threads. If you dont have a QB, youre just spinning tires till you find one. We cant afford to let past QB failures deter us from trying to find one. Every scout in America has three QB's among their top 15-20 players overall. We need to get one, we have to get one. In all likelihood we won't be able to get Winston next year and other than him, none will be any better prospects than what's available this year. Keep swinging.

    And like I said... (fill in the blank)...

    @mike-h said:

    I guess they should just skip the draft, since every player has a legit chance of getting hurt.

    Mike, we are not saying some QBs have no chance of injury. We are saying that judgement, playing style and physicality are factors that determine what a given QB's chance of injury is.

    You can argue about any given prospect's "factors ratings", but I do not see any legitimate argument that these factors are not worth considering... and the latter seems to be your position.