Skip to content

New fan.

Locked The Browns Board
70 23 2.6k
  • @roycerolls said:

    LAUGHABLE! Hockey, my friend, is a sport you need to get into. Soccer is ok and all, but Hockey is sheer poetry wrought with gut-busting tension and the speed, my god the speed! Comparing Hockey to Soccer is like comparing filet mignon to a cold dog turd on a paper plate.

    I agree about the comparison, but am probably on the other end of it! But I admire your passion for the sport. The nearest I've got to playing is various forms of floor hockey, which are fun, but nowhere near as fun as soccer. And in fairness, I did say I disagreed with the comparison 😉

    @gftchris said:

    I agree about the comparison, but am probably on the other end of it! But I admire your passion for the sport. The nearest I've got to playing is various forms of floor hockey, which are fun, but nowhere near as fun as soccer. And in fairness, I did say I disagreed with the comparison 😉

    the subjectivity of life is a beautiful thing

  • @gftchris said:

    I agree about the comparison, but am probably on the other end of it! But I admire your passion for the sport. The nearest I've got to playing is various forms of floor hockey, which are fun, but nowhere near as fun as soccer. And in fairness, I did say I disagreed with the comparison 😉

    the subjectivity of life is a beautiful thing

    @roycerolls said:

    the subjectivity of life is a beautiful thing

    Indeed, if everyone had the same opinions on everything, then life would be a lot less interesting! This board wouldn't exist, the draft would be a foregone conclusion, politics wouldn't be a big thing and all the rest.

  • I think we can get out of our group of death. We had the longest winning streak in US history this year, Altidore went off. We just need to find that again.

    Of course the game in Cleveland I went to happened right before this streak, and we lost 2-4 to Belgium...

  • I think we can get out of our group of death. We had the longest winning streak in US history this year, Altidore went off. We just need to find that again.

    Of course the game in Cleveland I went to happened right before this streak, and we lost 2-4 to Belgium...

    @mld-woody said:

    I think we can get out of our group of death. We had the longest winning streak in US history this year, Altidore went off. We just need to find that again.

    Of course the game in Cleveland I went to happened right before this streak, and we lost 2-4 to Belgium...

    Altidore is just terrible. 1 goal in 18 games for Sunderland just isn't good enough. Plus you'll be up against a team in Portugal (Germany are through) who is basically man for man a better team. You'll have to play extremely well to beat them, and hope Ronaldo is having an off day.

  • Does Ronaldo have off days.....?

  • Does Ronaldo have off days.....?

    @londonbrown said:

    Does Ronaldo have off days.....?

    Yeah, when he decides to let Gareth Bale do his dirty work.

  • Well I know how we win...

    ... wait, is Onyewu on the roster?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Just spell it right if you are going to call soccer by that name: it is futbol.

    We play football, you play futbol. Well, we play futbol too...but we call it soccer.

    Just give it up Gip, it's not clever, nobody's laughing. How many gridiron football fans do you suppose there are in the world? I mean, all of America and Canada, right? Plus maybe a couple of million outside of there? Except it won't be all of north america. Apparently, viewing figures for the superbowl 2012 - highest on record - were around 170 million. How many do you suppose play/watch association football? Well, the last world cup final attracted 3.2 billion people.

    So please, stop trying to belittle a sport that is the most popular in the world, and getting on for 20 times more popular that NFL.

    @hoorta said:

    IMO the guys dissing soccer should get with the program. NFL football pales in comparison to the worldwide popularity of soccer. Just think of it as slow motion hockey guys.

    Not sure about slow motion hockey, but if it works for you 😉 Football/Soccer is a lot more tactical than hockey, which seems to basically consist of everybody trying to slam the puck towards the goal as hard and as often as possible 😛 but to be fair I haven't watched much, outside of the odd winter olympics final or stanley cup highlights, so I could be misguided on that.

    @gftchris said:

    Just give it up Gip, it's not clever, nobody's laughing. How many gridiron football fans do you suppose there are in the world? I mean, all of America and Canada, right? Plus maybe a couple of million outside of there? Except it won't be all of north america. Apparently, viewing figures for the superbowl 2012 - highest on record - were around 170 million. How many do you suppose play/watch association football? Well, the last world cup final attracted 3.2 billion people.

    Don't give a shit. Those same 3.2 billion people can all eat their own feces if they want.....that don't mean I am going to.

    You can call it what you want on your soccer forum.....and you also said that you are a "new fan" and that you wanted to learn, so learn this: On this FOOTBALL forum....it is either soccer or futbol.

    So please, stop trying to belittle a sport that is the most popular in the world, and getting on for 20 times more popular that NFL.

    I don't think I was belittling it.....I was just calling it what it is. As someone said......no one was calling soccer "football" until many decades after Football was being played.

    Not sure about slow motion hockey, but if it works for you 😉 Football/Soccer is a lot more tactical than hockey, which seems to basically consist of everybody trying to slam the puck towards the goal as hard and as often as possible 😛 but to be fair I haven't watched much, outside of the odd winter olympics final or stanley cup highlights, so I could be misguided on that.

    Not at fucking all.

    Soccer/hockey/water polo/European handball are pretty much all the same sport. You have a rectangular playing surface with a goal that is being tended by a goalie. The surfaces are different: ice/grass/water/hardwood.....and the "ball is a bit different." but tactically, except for minor variations, they are the same.

    The difference is that only in soccer do the players act like....to quote my English cousin "Preening Pansies". Yes, he is an Englishman, no he is not a soccer fan. He is a rugby fan.

  • Rugby is for the upper classes whereas 'futbol' is the working mans game

  • Can we knock off the soccer talk? This is the football forum. Go to the barbershop or something please.

  • Rugby is for the upper classes whereas 'futbol' is the working mans game

    @londonbrown said:

    Rugby is for the upper classes whereas 'futbol' is the working mans game

    Really?

    I don't think we can say that American spectator sports can be classified that way. Football, baseball, basketball each have their appeal to both upper, middle, and lower classes.

    Some sports have regional attraction. NASCAR in the south, hockey in the north, lacrosse in the east.

  • Homos that want to continue talking about soccer go here: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11409

    Possible topics include:

    Why soccer should just be a sport for girls in this day of age.

    Why soccer players look so stupid when they flop all the time.

    Why soccer is so flipping boring.

    Why everyone who follows the link is attracted to other men.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Just spell it right if you are going to call soccer by that name: it is futbol.

    We play football, you play futbol. Well, we play futbol too...but we call it soccer.

    Just give it up Gip, it's not clever, nobody's laughing. How many gridiron football fans do you suppose there are in the world? I mean, all of America and Canada, right? Plus maybe a couple of million outside of there? Except it won't be all of north america. Apparently, viewing figures for the superbowl 2012 - highest on record - were around 170 million. How many do you suppose play/watch association football? Well, the last world cup final attracted 3.2 billion people.

    So please, stop trying to belittle a sport that is the most popular in the world, and getting on for 20 times more popular that NFL.

    @hoorta said:

    IMO the guys dissing soccer should get with the program. NFL football pales in comparison to the worldwide popularity of soccer. Just think of it as slow motion hockey guys.

    Not sure about slow motion hockey, but if it works for you 😉 Football/Soccer is a lot more tactical than hockey, which seems to basically consist of everybody trying to slam the puck towards the goal as hard and as often as possible 😛 but to be fair I haven't watched much, outside of the odd winter olympics final or stanley cup highlights, so I could be misguided on that.

    @gftchris said:

    Just give it up Gip, it's not clever, nobody's laughing. How many gridiron football fans do you suppose there are in the world? I mean, all of America and Canada, right? Plus maybe a couple of million outside of there? Except it won't be all of north america. Apparently, viewing figures for the superbowl 2012 - highest on record - were around 170 million. How many do you suppose play/watch association football? Well, the last world cup final attracted 3.2 billion people.

    So please, stop trying to belittle a sport that is the most popular in the world, and getting on for 20 times more popular that NFL.

    Not sure about slow motion hockey, but if it works for you 😉 Football/Soccer is a lot more tactical than hockey, which seems to basically consist of everybody trying to slam the puck towards the goal as hard and as often as possible 😛 but to be fair I haven't watched much, outside of the odd winter olympics final or stanley cup highlights, so I could be misguided on that.

    Um, the tactics in hockey are extremely similar to those in soccer, they just happen a lot faster- offsides, etc. Scoring is about as difficult. And trust me a hockey puck moves way faster than any human being can kick a soccer ball.

    Zombo said:

    Homos that want to continue talking about soccer go here: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11409

    Possible topics include:

    Why soccer should just be a sport for girls in this day of age.

    Why soccer players look so stupid when they flop all the time.

    Why soccer is so flipping boring.

    Why everyone who follows the link is attracted to other men.

    Zombo

    Hey, humbug- just because you hate the worlds most popular sport doesn't mean the rest of the world is wrong for loving it. I get the last word in. My pro Sports hierarchy

    1) NFL football

    2) NBA Basketball

    3) Tennis

    4) NHL Hockey

    5) Soccer

    6) MLB You want to take a nap? Just tune in.

    7) Skiing

    😎 Summer Olympics

    BTW, despite it's TV rankings, golf isn't a freaking sport, it's a skill, (one look at John Daly- now there's a damn athlete for ya) like bowling.