Skip to content

Del Rio?

The Browns Board
37 15 1.7k
  • No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

  • No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    @nickers said:

    No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    Pete Carol, Harbaughs, Belichik look pretty good tho right?

    And I know he has Peyton Manning, but John Fox?

  • @nickers said:

    No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    Pete Carol, Harbaughs, Belichik look pretty good tho right?

    And I know he has Peyton Manning, but John Fox?

    @bbedward said:

    Pete Carol, Harbaughs, Belichik look pretty good tho right?

    And I know he has Peyton Manning, but John Fox?

    Harbaughs are Offense and Special teams ,dude...

  • @bbedward said:

    Pete Carol, Harbaughs, Belichik look pretty good tho right?

    And I know he has Peyton Manning, but John Fox?

    Harbaughs are Offense and Special teams ,dude...

    @nickers said:

    Harbaughs are Offense and Special teams ,dude...

    Seriously? Just seriously? Both their teams win by defense.

    John was primarily a DB/ST coach, and the winner of SB 47 anyway (not offense).

    Doesn't negate the fact 3/4 of the remaining teams had defensive minded coaches. And the 49ers are a defensive team even if Jim H was a QB coach at some point.

    Your point makes no sense. Maybe 4/13 coaches that won the last super bowls were "offensive" minded. (Payton, Coughlin, McCarthy, Gruden)

    And I'd say otherwise Gruden inherited his SB winning team from Dungy, a defensive coach.

    SB 48 will be won by a "Defensive" minded coach.

    Just because a coach has a "Defensive" background doesn't mean their offense is boring and sucks.

    I'd take Dungy, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Bellichik, or Cowher over any of the crap we've had.

    Do people really think that in today's NFL it's all about offense still? Yea you need to score, but if your defense sucks you don't go very far.

  • @nickers said:

    Harbaughs are Offense and Special teams ,dude...

    Seriously? Just seriously? Both their teams win by defense.

    John was primarily a DB/ST coach, and the winner of SB 47 anyway (not offense).

    Doesn't negate the fact 3/4 of the remaining teams had defensive minded coaches. And the 49ers are a defensive team even if Jim H was a QB coach at some point.

    Your point makes no sense. Maybe 4/13 coaches that won the last super bowls were "offensive" minded. (Payton, Coughlin, McCarthy, Gruden)

    And I'd say otherwise Gruden inherited his SB winning team from Dungy, a defensive coach.

    SB 48 will be won by a "Defensive" minded coach.

    Just because a coach has a "Defensive" background doesn't mean their offense is boring and sucks.

    I'd take Dungy, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Bellichik, or Cowher over any of the crap we've had.

    Do people really think that in today's NFL it's all about offense still? Yea you need to score, but if your defense sucks you don't go very far.

    @bbedward said:

    Seriously? Just seriously? Both their teams win by defense.

    John was primarily a DB/ST coach, and the winner of SB 47 anyway (not offense).

    Doesn't negate the fact 3/4 of the remaining teams had defensive minded coaches. And the 49ers are a defensive team even if Jim H was a QB coach at some point.

    Your point makes no sense. Maybe 4/13 coaches that won the last super bowls were "offensive" minded. (Payton, Coughlin, McCarthy, Gruden)

    And I'd say otherwise Gruden inherited his SB winning team from Dungy, a defensive coach.

    SB 48 will be won by a "Defensive" minded coach.

    Just because a coach has a "Defensive" background doesn't mean their offense is boring and sucks.

    I'd take Dungy, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, Bellichik, or Cowher over any of the crap we've had.

    Do people really think that in today's NFL it's all about offense still? Yea you need to score, but if your defense sucks you don't go very far.

    I didnt say theyre defenses werent good...I just merely pointed out theyre background dimwit.

  • Ice Dawg19 said:

    Del Rio = No. You need to start looking at very intuitive football minds. Ex players are not that. Look at guys like Belichek, Gase, Gus Malzahn. They didn't get their because they rode the coat tails of their NFL playing days. They got there because they were good at what they did, and that was coach. Those guys had a tougher go of it to get noticed because they didn't have the name. So many ex players ride their previous fame to future jobs. Give me the guy who started his career becoming a coach. I want an intellict on the head set, not an ex jock.

    Del Rio, Singeltary, Herm Edwards, Bart Starr, and the list goes on. Now I know some of you smart asses will want to argue and bring up the Ron Riveria's of the world, but on average, the intellicts(or whatever you want to call them) win out.

    Interesting argument: Take the student of the game over the player of the game.

    I suspect that holes the size of Mack trucks could be driven through both sides of that argument: I mean, nearly every coach the Browns have had lately were "students" not players of the game: Shurmur/Palmer/Mangini/Romeo/Davis.

    On the other hand, both Paul Brown and Blanton Collier were primarily "students".

    On the other other hand, one of the best coaches the Browns had: Marty, was a player. Not a great player, but a player with a fairly lengthy career.

    It is not like even great players never succeed as coaches: Ditka: HOF player, SB winning coach. Ray Berry/Forrest Gregg, both HOF players that took teams to SBs. A Jim Harbaugh was a good player...and a good coach. I am sure there are many other examples.

    But it is an interesting argument.

  • back when he got fired i would have considered him a joke, now all these years later its not like we've come even close to Del Rio caliber of coach/success. just think of how convincing he would be to the players saying "hey guys, i took jacksonville to the playoffs. SERIOUSLY! google me!"

  • No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    @nickers said:

    No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    Ya, Belichek and Fox need to take the shackles off of their QBs.

    We are in a division with three defensive coaches and we perform the worst offensively every year.

    I actually think Defensive HC with a Franchise QB is the strongest ticket.

    Z

  • Del rio, pettine, gase, quinn? OH MY when names like these pop out as our FOs ideal prime targets you know we are going to end up with a really crappy super shitty head coach, retreads and nfl never beens like these guys are a dead end to any progress..

    I would rather see someone creative and intelligent like say malzahn rather than these dimwitted idiot yes men our front office seems to like..

    Clearly the real problem may be the front office..

  • I live in jville so no please no.

  • I live in jville so no please no.

    @wvumountaineer said:

    I live in jville so no please no.

    OK, and why not? I know they didn't do that well lately, but then you had Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne....what were you expecting?

  • @wvumountaineer said:

    I live in jville so no please no.

    OK, and why not? I know they didn't do that well lately, but then you had Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne....what were you expecting?

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, and why not? I know they didn't do that well lately, but then you had Blaine Gabbert and Chud Henne....what were you expecting?

    This. Jacksonville just has such little talent. Hardly the coaches fault IMO.

  • Yes, I am talking about the ex-Jags coach Jack Del Rio, not about the town on the Texas/Mexico border.

    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville, even though overall he had a sub-.500 record Note: the best QB he ever had during his tenure there was David Garrard. So it is not like he had a ton of offensive talent in his corner. Here are his coaching stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DelRJa0.htm

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I am talking about the ex-Jags coach Jack Del Rio, not about the town on the Texas/Mexico border.

    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville, even though overall he had a sub-.500 record Note: the best QB he ever had during his tenure there was David Garrard. So it is not like he had a ton of offensive talent in his corner. Here are his coaching stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DelRJa0.htm

    I would almost be willing to bet I am the only person on this board who has been to the border town of Del Rio. Not a vacation spot.
  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I am talking about the ex-Jags coach Jack Del Rio, not about the town on the Texas/Mexico border.

    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville, even though overall he had a sub-.500 record Note: the best QB he ever had during his tenure there was David Garrard. So it is not like he had a ton of offensive talent in his corner. Here are his coaching stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DelRJa0.htm

    I would almost be willing to bet I am the only person on this board who has been to the border town of Del Rio. Not a vacation spot.

    @comeonman said:

    I would almost be willing to bet I am the only person on this board who has been to the border town of Del Rio. Not a vacation spot.

    You would lose your bet. And in fact, it IS a bit of a regional vacation spot. You have the Amistad National Recreation area there and with that there is a dam which created the Amistad Reservoir.....to which a number of boaters/fisherman enjoy.

    It is there that I first laid eyes on a "Horse Crippler" Cactus. Nasty things.

  • No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    @nickers said:

    No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    Past 6 seasons:

    Tomlin - 2 Superbowl appearances and 1 Superbowl Victory.

    Harbaugh - 1 Superbowl Victory

    Lewis - 3 straight playoff appearance

  • Jim Tressel would win!!

  • Possibly, but the chances of that involving something shady would also be pretty good. Then we're back to losing, but with the addition of a brand scandal.

  • Winner at every level in the state...only thing left for him to do for Ohio is win it a Super Bowl. Would bring class and respect for our beloved Browns that they haven't had since Marty. In coaching professional sports your are measured on your record and your accomplishments...hard to find anyone out there to match his.. Jim Tressel is a winner..and God knows we need one!

  • Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

  • Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    @spectralcow said:

    Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    He used players that he wasn't supposed to because they traded autographs for tattoos.

    Hardly that big of a deal. He always looked out for his players best interests.