Skip to content

Del Rio?

The Browns Board
37 15 1.7k
  • @wvumountaineer said:

    I live in jville so no please no.

    OK, and why not? I know they didn't do that well lately, but then you had Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne....what were you expecting?

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, and why not? I know they didn't do that well lately, but then you had Blaine Gabbert and Chud Henne....what were you expecting?

    This. Jacksonville just has such little talent. Hardly the coaches fault IMO.

  • Yes, I am talking about the ex-Jags coach Jack Del Rio, not about the town on the Texas/Mexico border.

    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville, even though overall he had a sub-.500 record Note: the best QB he ever had during his tenure there was David Garrard. So it is not like he had a ton of offensive talent in his corner. Here are his coaching stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DelRJa0.htm

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I am talking about the ex-Jags coach Jack Del Rio, not about the town on the Texas/Mexico border.

    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville, even though overall he had a sub-.500 record Note: the best QB he ever had during his tenure there was David Garrard. So it is not like he had a ton of offensive talent in his corner. Here are his coaching stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DelRJa0.htm

    I would almost be willing to bet I am the only person on this board who has been to the border town of Del Rio. Not a vacation spot.
  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I am talking about the ex-Jags coach Jack Del Rio, not about the town on the Texas/Mexico border.

    I thought he did a pretty good job in Jacksonville, even though overall he had a sub-.500 record Note: the best QB he ever had during his tenure there was David Garrard. So it is not like he had a ton of offensive talent in his corner. Here are his coaching stats:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DelRJa0.htm

    I would almost be willing to bet I am the only person on this board who has been to the border town of Del Rio. Not a vacation spot.

    @comeonman said:

    I would almost be willing to bet I am the only person on this board who has been to the border town of Del Rio. Not a vacation spot.

    You would lose your bet. And in fact, it IS a bit of a regional vacation spot. You have the Amistad National Recreation area there and with that there is a dam which created the Amistad Reservoir.....to which a number of boaters/fisherman enjoy.

    It is there that I first laid eyes on a "Horse Crippler" Cactus. Nasty things.

  • No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    @nickers said:

    No.,..I hate defensve minded HC's...they play too conservative on Offense..no thanks..especially since we need a QB.

    Past 6 seasons:

    Tomlin - 2 Superbowl appearances and 1 Superbowl Victory.

    Harbaugh - 1 Superbowl Victory

    Lewis - 3 straight playoff appearance

  • Jim Tressel would win!!

  • Possibly, but the chances of that involving something shady would also be pretty good. Then we're back to losing, but with the addition of a brand scandal.

  • Winner at every level in the state...only thing left for him to do for Ohio is win it a Super Bowl. Would bring class and respect for our beloved Browns that they haven't had since Marty. In coaching professional sports your are measured on your record and your accomplishments...hard to find anyone out there to match his.. Jim Tressel is a winner..and God knows we need one!

  • Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

  • Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    @spectralcow said:

    Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    He used players that he wasn't supposed to because they traded autographs for tattoos.

    Hardly that big of a deal. He always looked out for his players best interests.

  • Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    @spectralcow said:

    Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    Chip Kelly? Pete Carroll? there doing pretty good.......

  • Winner at every level in the state...only thing left for him to do for Ohio is win it a Super Bowl. Would bring class and respect for our beloved Browns that they haven't had since Marty. In coaching professional sports your are measured on your record and your accomplishments...hard to find anyone out there to match his.. Jim Tressel is a winner..and God knows we need one!

    @where-s-vardell said:

    Winner at every level in the state...only thing left for him to do for Ohio is win it a Super Bowl. Would bring class and respect for our beloved Browns that they haven't had since Marty. In coaching professional sports your are measured on your record and your accomplishments...hard to find anyone out there to match his.. Jim Tressel is a winner..and God knows we need one!

    I thought this was about Del Rio. How did it turn into Tressel?

  • @spectralcow said:

    Rules violations, resignation as a result of those allegations, and vacation of victories/a season don't seem all that classy to me.

    I'm not saying Tressel is a bad coach. I'm saying that there were some problems in the past that may be red flags for the possibility of future issues. The guy DID win. No arguing that. The way in which he won, at least one year, was not inside the scope of the rules and regulations.

    Chip Kelly? Pete Carroll? there doing pretty good.......

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Chip Kelly? Pete Carroll? there doing pretty good.......

    Both of those guys jumped ship from there schools which had much worse violations than Tressel had. They would have been facing the same or worse NCAA sanctions if they had stuck around.

  • Meh, I don't know that costing the innocent players of the 2010 team their season was necessarily in their best interests.

    Maybe you don't think it was a big deal, maybe I don't think it was a big deal, but SOMEONE who mattered thought it was a big enough deal that it cost the team and resulted in his resignation. What's "a big deal" is probably better left to those whose opinions matter (to the sport, not to me).

    This argument is raised a lot by people after they get caught. It's not a big deal to video tape the other team, to use performance enhancers, to use ineligible players, to use a corked bat, etc. My question is, if it wasn't a big deal, why risk wins, a season, a record, a career by doing it? It's like cheating on your wife and, after you're caught, defending it with "She meant nothing to me!" Great, so something that is insignificant to you meant more to you than our relationship.

    Lol, this conversation has taken a strange turn. Now Kelly and Carroll are involved? What's the point here? That it IS okay to violate the rules? I already said (in my very first post on Tressell, in fact) that the Browns would probably win with him as coach. So,... what is it that you're arguing? I'm arguing that whether or not you win, I'm not that keen on trying to get away with breaking the rules.

  • @where-s-vardell said:

    Winner at every level in the state...only thing left for him to do for Ohio is win it a Super Bowl. Would bring class and respect for our beloved Browns that they haven't had since Marty. In coaching professional sports your are measured on your record and your accomplishments...hard to find anyone out there to match his.. Jim Tressel is a winner..and God knows we need one!

    I thought this was about Del Rio. How did it turn into Tressel?

    @the-gipper said:

    I thought this was about Del Rio. How did it turn into Tressel?

  • Lol, pretty sure Where's Vardell? introduced the Tressel discussion.

  • Didn't mean to change the subject..wait a minute..yes I did! Have to quit talking about "Proven Losers" and start talking about "Proven Winners"! Maybe if we as fans (Browns fans are the best) start talking about winning these people calling the shots might start taking their jobs a bit more serious. One can only hope.

  • I'd say we're not getting Del Rio or Tressel, but the last time I made a claim like that it was "chud won't be fired after 1 year"

  • Hmmm.... you should use that anti-predictive power for "good". Do your magic, man!

  • Lol, this conversation has taken a strange turn. Now Kelly and Carroll are involved? What's the point here? That it IS okay to violate the rules? I already said (in my very first post on Tressell, in fact) that the Browns would probably win with him as coach. So,... what is it that you're arguing? I'm arguing that whether or not you win, I'm not that keen on trying to get away with breaking the rules

    .

    If you ain't cheating you aint trying, ask Bill Bellicheck.....everybody does it on one level or another, players juicing, Mike Tomlin trying to trip kick returners, Jim Harbaugh working a deal with his brother to get Anquan Boldin for a 5th round pick, any competitive advantage you can get....players, coaches, GM's they all do it.

  • Didn't mean to change the subject..wait a minute..yes I did! Have to quit talking about "Proven Losers" and start talking about "Proven Winners"! Maybe if we as fans (Browns fans are the best) start talking about winning these people calling the shots might start taking their jobs a bit more serious. One can only hope.

    @where-s-vardell said:

    Didn't mean to change the subject..wait a minute..yes I did! Have to quit talking about "Proven Losers" and start talking about "Proven Winners"! Maybe if we as fans (Browns fans are the best) start talking about winning these people calling the shots might start taking their jobs a bit more serious. One can only hope.

    Well, when it comes to proven winners and losers.....a guy that is a proven winner in college can turn into a proven loser in the NFL.

    There are a litany of names out there to prove it.

    Occasionally a good college coach also does well in the pros.