Skip to content

Who all think Bortels is next Worthlessburger?

The Browns Board
38 17 1.8k
  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Closer to Dan than Ben?

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #9

    closer to ben than dover.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I have a Ryan Tannehill type feeling about him. But Tannehill's story could still go either way. So I guess I'm saying ... I have no idea if he'll be successful . But he doesn't remind me of Bennifer.

    Z

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I think he has a similar body type to BR. Height, weight, huskyish build. Similar arm strength and mobility. Hard to bring down.

    I think that is why the comparison.

    The question is does he have the same thing between the ears.

    I mean we thought that Charlie Frye could be a Brian Sipe player. He wasn't. Or that Colt McCoy could do a Joe Montana imitation. He couldn't.

  • I think he has a similar body type to BR. Height, weight, huskyish build. Similar arm strength and mobility. Hard to bring down.

    I think that is why the comparison.

    The question is does he have the same thing between the ears.

    I mean we thought that Charlie Frye could be a Brian Sipe player. He wasn't. Or that Colt McCoy could do a Joe Montana imitation. He couldn't.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @the-gipper said:

    I think he has a similar body type to BR. Height, weight, huskyish build. Similar arm strength and mobility. Hard to bring down.

    I think that is why the comparison.

    The question is does he have the same thing between the ears.

    I mean we thought that Charlie Frye could be a Brian Sipe player. He wasn't. Or that Colt McCoy could do a Joe Montana imitation. He couldn't.

    Yeah there's just too many guys who fit the size with decent mobility and arm mold though. They come through and get washed away.

    BR has some intangibles that are hard to evaluate out of college. Also I'm sure he benefitted from top notch coaching.

    I'd like Bortles, but mid-late first round IMO.

  • B beare wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I think people like him just cause his size no way i take him with high 1st round pick

  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I really want to buy some sorbitrate but I don't know where I'd get it.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Lmao^ seriously though, if anyone clicks on the link they have to fess up.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I haven't posted lately

  • Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @jeffinwv said:

    Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    There are a whole lot of presumptions there: That JM may be more athletic than Bortles. That may not be true. That Bortles is less skilled than JM. That may not be true. That JM is a more accurate passer than Bortles. That may not be true.

    The only fact you are inarguably correct on is that Bortles IS bigger than Manziel.

  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by jeffinwv
    #19

    IMO Bortles is not near the pure athlete Manziel is. Manziel is by far more mobile than Bortles. I mean is that really debatable?

    among Carr Manziel Bortles and Bridgewater , he has the lowest percentage of passes defended or int by the D and he has the second highest roll out completion %.

    Johnneys completion percentage is about 69% and Bortles is about 65%

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #21

    Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

    EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

  • Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @jeffinwv said:

    Then that begs the question do you take a bigger less skilled QB Bortels, or a smaller more athletic and accurate passer....Manziel

    Neither one. This is not a deep year for QBs.

    I see Manziel as a smaller BR or a slightly larger Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton could not play today, and if BR was smaller he'd be pummelled to death, as long as he holds on to the ball. So I don't think that bodes well for Manziel. Maybe he will be more like a Doug Flutie. Best to improve the team at other positions and pick QB next year.You have to go with what the draft offers each year, or else you use first round picks on second round talent. Unfortunately that takes years, and Browns coaches never have the luxury of having a long term draft strategy.

  • Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

    How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

  • Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

    EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @tour2ma said:

    Last time I watched Bortles this year I was shocked to see how well he ran the read-option. He took off with the on several long runs. He even prompted one of those nonsense, "he's faster than he looks" comments from the announcers.

    EDIT: I think it was the bowl game vs. Baylor... 8 carries for 93 yards.

    Runs one at the opening (longest of the nite) and two at the 10:40 mark... not going to be mistaken for Usane Bolt, but he'd lap me in a heartbeat...

    Some pretty ugly stuff early on pass-wise, but he settles in the 2nd half... including some nice roll-out action right and left.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    He will be no better or worse then John football

    and he will be no worse then teddy

    none of them are worth a 4th pick. But seeing as EVERYONE at the top of the draft needs a qb, we will be stuck with one of these guys.

    Clowney, or Watkins will almost for sure be better then ANY of the QB's in this draft

  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Yea but whats the chances one of them is the next Rus Wilson?Not amazing but smart and crafty with the ball? Not turning it over? Could any of them be good as him? If so I guess he would be acceptable?

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Look up completion percentage on throws over 20 yards. Manziel really shines there.

    How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

    slimdawgS slimdawg wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @jcam222 said:

    How many of those were thrown from the pocket vs at the end of one of his larry, curly, mo shuffles? That is what concerns me. That crazy playground looking scrambling he does will not translate. He will get absolutely murdered. He is also the kind of "playmaker" that will try one of those famous "Weeden flips" we all love so much.

    I don't know if he'd bust out the "Weeden flip" BUT he does have something in his arsenal thats intriguing to me and that's a sidearm with some zip, ala Kosar....