Skip to content

Free Agent QBs

The Browns Board
30 17 1.1k
  • Campbell proved how much he sucked and why he has always been a backup. Hoyer is unproven and coming off a serious injury. 2 wins don't mean he is the next Tom Brady. We need a 1st round QB.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #18

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Campbell proved how much he sucked and why he has always been a backup. Hoyer is unproven and coming off a serious injury. 2 wins don't mean he is the next Tom Brady. We need a 1st round QB.

    What we need is a good NFL quarterback. That does not mean we are obligated to overdraft one in the first round.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Campbell proved how much he sucked and why he has always been a backup. Hoyer is unproven and coming off a serious injury. 2 wins don't mean he is the next Tom Brady. We need a 1st round QB.

    What we need is a good NFL quarterback. That does not mean we are obligated to overdraft one in the first round.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @jcam222 said:

    What we need is a good NFL quarterback. That does not mean we are obligated to overdraft one in the first round.

    And what do you consider overdrafting? If we have Bridgewater at 8 overall and take him 4th, is that overdrafting? Or reaching?
  • You don't have to FORCE feed yourself a QB just because you need a QB.

    Seattle did it with Defense FIRST.

    A Power running game.

    Then finished it off with Wilson.

    4 year process.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @masterdog said:

    You don't have to FORCE feed yourself a QB just because you need a QB.

    Seattle did it with Defense FIRST.

    A Power running game.

    Then finished it off with Wilson.

    4 year process.

    That's all well and good, except it's not exactly the case.

    Sherman was drafted in 2011. Irvin was drafted in 2012. Wagner was drafted in 2012. Wright was drafted in 2012.

    Seattle's defense finished in the bottom half of the league in the first 2 of those 4 seasons.

    They didn't build defense first. They just built the team. They didn't reach for players solely because of media hype (Irvin is questionable in that regard), they took the ones they thought fit their system.

    There's no single right way to build a championship team. Emulating others success may not work here. All you can do is build a team with the players you think will succeed, regardless of what the analysts say about their draft position.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Merry Otis.

    Just wanted to get that out of the way.

    WSS

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #22

    It wasn't too long ago that Freeman had success in the league and he'd come pretty cheap. I'd be willing to take a shot on him being able to do well in Cleveland. I imagine after this draft that Cleveland will have a considerably better offense than any he's ever worked with.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Y'know what I think? I think Lombardi & Banner are gone, now we have real FOOTBALL guys making these decisions, & I'm trusting their judgment. I am very anxious to see what they decide.

    Mike

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I don't want anything to do with josh freeman. He's got some of the tools, but not the brain.

    Glennon played better than him at TB. Ponder started over him in Minny.

    No teams really wanted him earlier in the season. Then he made wildly bad decisions and couldn't control the ball in his time with Minny. Now people want him more than they did in September/October?

    We already have a guy with tools but a slow processor. His name is Brandon Weeden.

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mike-h said:

    Nor are they obligated to start a QB who was passed over by every team in the NFL, for years, and has two decent starts to his name.

    I agree on that as well Mike. I have never said Hoyer deserves the starting job. I have said he earned the right for a fair competition for it and I stand by that. I am simply saying if we believe noone is really worthy of a pick at 4 we pass and take one lower in the draft. I think there are good options in the 2nd round in guys like Garropolo or Mettenberger. I like Garappolo in the 2nd to 3rd.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #26

    I think there's a lot of potential in the later rounds of this draft if we're not sold on whoever's available at #4.

    I kind of like the potential of A. Murray/Mettenberger/Garappolo. Will any of them turn out to be solid NFL starters who knows. But the jury is still out on all of the top guys too.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Man would it be nice to be lucky enough to snag a competent QB outside of the first round. Opens up all kinds of options.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I kind of like the potential of A. Murray/Mettenberger/Garappolo. bbed

    ************************

    I agree, except that Mettenberger is like Derek Anderson with mobility. He's

    really thrown some bad throws, bad, bad decisions at times.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Cassel could be interesting as a back up. While I never saw him as a #1 guy despite his NE success, I think there is some talent there.

    That said, I doubt Cassel would be worth the price he's likely to ask.

    Out of our roster choices... I think Campbell is a decent choice for back up. Wheezy, who now wants to leave due to "organizational instability" (I wonder who his writer is) should be granted his wish.

  • Cassel could be interesting as a back up. While I never saw him as a #1 guy despite his NE success, I think there is some talent there.

    That said, I doubt Cassel would be worth the price he's likely to ask.

    Out of our roster choices... I think Campbell is a decent choice for back up. Wheezy, who now wants to leave due to "organizational instability" (I wonder who his writer is) should be granted his wish.

    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @tour2ma said:

    Out of our roster choices... I think Campbell is a decent choice for back up. Wheezy, who now wants to leave due to "organizational instability" (I wonder who his writer is) should be granted his wish.

    Its funny that none of the players who pull their weight are griping about "organizational instability" but it just so happens to be an issue for the guy who has proven he doesn't deserve a spot on the roster.