Skip to content

Derek Carr

The Browns Board
190 40 7.4k
  • I'm a big fan of his WR Davante Adams.

    @clevelandbigdawg said:

    I'm a big fan of his WR Davante Adams.[/quote

    The only player worth getting from Fresno is Davante. I think he can be a stud, personally.

  • @mike-h said:

    didn't Bernie win a playoff game with Aikman hurt?

    Yes.

  • Seriously Gipper? Seriously? Fucking WOW!

    Actually, this is the only Derek Carr thread that I started. I started a poll thread asking who everyone would like at the top of the first...and I gave my opinion. I also started a thread about the Browns taking several QB to finally move past all the QB carousel BS. But, to say that I've started several threads on Derek Carr specifically is just false.

    Actually, you are the one who got me interested in Derek Carr in the first place. Yeah, thanks for that. I think it was sometime in December.. actually let me check... ah, here it is.


    Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:01 AM
    I may not mind if they took him with their first first rounder

    ... I think it was jrb who started a thread asking what is wrong with Derek Carr? This is about the time I started researching potential college draft prospects. I looked into Carr because of 'your' endorsement... now, to turn around and attack me about it is a low blow.




  • @mike-h said:

    didn't Bernie win a playoff game with Aikman hurt?

    I'm surprised he lost his starting job then....

    But seriously even he was never considered a starting quarterback after his time with the Browns. Usually the starter on a bad team is looked on as a failure and never get the opportunity to start again. Those are the breaks. I'll give you another example since you seem to believe it's all about the quarterback. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl.

    It's speculation of course but just due to the simple idea that every quarter back we've ever had has been considered a winner at a high level at one time then I would assume that they would have had more success had they been placed at the helm of a good team.

    WSS

  • Seriously Gipper? Seriously? Fucking WOW!

    Actually, this is the only Derek Carr thread that I started. I started a poll thread asking who everyone would like at the top of the first...and I gave my opinion. I also started a thread about the Browns taking several QB to finally move past all the QB carousel BS. But, to say that I've started several threads on Derek Carr specifically is just false.

    Actually, you are the one who got me interested in Derek Carr in the first place. Yeah, thanks for that. I think it was sometime in December.. actually let me check... ah, here it is.


    Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:01 AM
    I may not mind if they took him with their first first rounder

    ... I think it was jrb who started a thread asking what is wrong with Derek Carr? This is about the time I started researching potential college draft prospects. I looked into Carr because of 'your' endorsement... now, to turn around and attack me about it is a low blow.




    @poeticg said:

    Seriously Gipper? Seriously? Fucking WOW!

    Actually, this is the only Derek Carr thread that I started. I started a poll thread asking who everyone would like at the top of the first...and I gave my opinion. I also started a thread about the Browns taking several QB to finally move past all the QB carousel BS. But, to say that I've started several threads on Derek Carr specifically is just false.

    OK, maybe, but it is still fun to bust your chops over it

    Actually, you are the one who got me interested in Derek Carr in the first place. Yeah, thanks for that. I think it was sometime in December.. actually let me check... ah, here it is.

    Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

    I may not mind if they took him with their first first rounder

    ... I think it was jrb who started a thread asking what is wrong with Derek Carr? This is about the time I started researching potential college draft prospects. I looked into Carr because of 'your' endorsement... now, to turn around and attack me about it is a low blow.

    So, I am responsible for your love affair? So be it. Since it is just a few days past Valentine's day just call me Cupid.

  • @mike-h said:

    I don't believe it's ALL ABOUT the QB. Simply asking you a question, no need to get butt hurt.

    Gosh I didn't think I was butt hurt but if you'd like you could certainly kiss it and make it better. Thanks for your concern. But...

    I think I've been fairly clear with my opinion that it's wise to build a very strong team and then whoever plays quarterback will look better. By the way Bernie Kosar did not win a playoff game in Dallas. He went 5 of 9 and one touchdown as I recall filling in for Troy Aikman in the second half. The Cowboys won the game by 10 or 12 or something.

    WSS

  • @mike-h said:

    I don't believe it's ALL ABOUT the QB. Simply asking you a question, no need to get butt hurt.

    Gosh I didn't think I was butt hurt but if you'd like you could certainly kiss it and make it better. Thanks for your concern. But...

    I think I've been fairly clear with my opinion that it's wise to build a very strong team and then whoever plays quarterback will look better. By the way Bernie Kosar did not win a playoff game in Dallas. He went 5 of 9 and one touchdown as I recall filling in for Troy Aikman in the second half. The Cowboys won the game by 10 or 12 or something.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Gosh I didn't think I was butt hurt but if you'd like you could certainly kiss it and make it better. Thanks for your concern. But...

    I think I've been fairly clear with my opinion that it's wise to build a very strong team and then whoever plays quarterback will look better. By the way Bernie Kosar did not win a playoff game in Dallas. He went 5 of 9 and one touchdown as I recall filling in for Troy Aikman in the second half. The Cowboys won the game by 10 or 12 or something.

    WSS

    Bernie "perserved" that win. The Cowboys were ahead when Aikman went out, but the 49ers started to make a comeback. Kosar came in the game in the middle of the third quarter and threw a TD pass, and got the Cowboys into position for a FG to salt the game away.

  • @mike-h said:

    I think it's kindergarten logic that you need a strong overall team to win football games.

    Cheers.

    Yes, it certainly goes without saying that is true. The argument is how to get there: Get the franchise QB first and then build components around him....or get that QB as that cherry when the rest of the team is right at the success point...and just needs that quality trigger man.

    The greatest trigger man in the game can do no good if the rest of the team is poor......say Hello to Dan Marino and Dan Fouts.

    If the rest of the team is Super Bowl ready, then perhaps all you need is a steady hand on that trigger, and not the quickest draw in town. Say Hello to Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Ben R. in 2005....maybe even Russell Wilson.

  • @mike-h said:

    I think it's kindergarten logic that you need a strong overall team to win football games.

    Cheers.

    And that's why it's true.

    It's also a damn good reason not to try it the other way.

    WSS

  • Hate to burst your bubble, but this site gives a nice statistical analysis of why Derek Carr is a bust waiting to happen.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/45952/349/2014s-quarterback-conundrum

  • i think carr and mccaron both will be big bust but just my opinion

  • @mike-h said:

    I posted this back in January, I think a lot of people didn't read it or for some reason don't think that it matters.

    By a "a lot of people," I mean one person.

    I saw it when you posted it. Too bad they didn't go a little further down the line, maybe with four quarterbacks. I assume you are on board with their February 17 Mock?

    WSS

  • @mike-h said:

    Norris doesnt say what they gave up to trade to 2, but yeah, I like Teddy B a lot.

    I don't want Marqise Lee at 26 though.

    if Lee falls all the way to 26 why wouldnt you want him? Are you concerned with his size and have injury concerns?

  • @mike-h said:

    Norris doesnt say what they gave up to trade to 2, but yeah, I like Teddy B a lot.

    I don't want Marqise Lee at 26 though.

    Do any of the less famous quarterback prospects, those guys destined for rounds three and down, appeal to you at all?

    WSS

  • I actually started this on a different topic and changed over to this one. Tomorrow will be the ProDay for Derek Carr so I guess it fits.

    We don't really need to bring in another Vet. Hoyer is as veteran as any veteran. He's learned and learned and learned some more, finally getting a chance to play and he does well. Could he have been better, Yes, but we won. And that is the measuring stick that QB's are judged by. A QB could play horrible but if he doesn't cost you the game then he did his job well enough to win.

    That's all we need guys. We keep using QBs that aren't good enough not to not lose(that's weird, wtf?). Hoyer could be that or he could be a guy that brings out the talents of others on the team. That's what I'm saying, the QB is the Moon, the team is the earth. A QB is the stabilizer which orients the direction of the team. Many times we go for the wrong type of QB.

    I like the Hoyer - Carr - Tanney combo for the win. It brings you 3 pilots that mesh to create a truly great QB situation.

    Hoyer is the old guard. He's been through the wringer and played the field. He's seen it all now. Rehab and all. He will be the man to unseat if you're going to take the QB job.

    Carr will be the heir apparent and must learn much like Hoyer learned from Tom Brady. So it's kinda like Carr will learn from Brady, one of the most successful QBs of our time, in a round-a-bout way. He will also learn from Hoyer, who has played the system and earned his shot, about a lot of modesty there. He'll also have the experiences of his brother to draw from, who is labeled a bust. You put all that together and you have yourself a QB that:

    1- Is mentally rounded. he's mentally tough. Carr remained grounded even through complications with his child.
    2- Can make any throw on a football field, just watch the tape for conformation. He puts the ball through NFL windows.
    3- He is a leader amongst men. Men will play for him because his demeanor calls out for that. It calls for you to go all out. My cousin is like this, many of us know a guy like this, a guy that if he asks something of you, you just do it, mostly because you know that he'd do it for you.
    4- The young man has played in some games. He a senior, he's here- I just found this... http://sunnyside.kmph.com/news/sports-recreation/254383-carr-receive-cfpa-elite-qb-trophy

    Senior quarterback is the second Bulldog to earn CFPA honors FRESNO, Calif. - The College Football Performance Awards announced Friday that Fresno State senior quarterback Derek Carr will receive the 2013 CFPA Elite Quarterback Trophy, which will be presented to him at Saturday's home men's basketball game vs. UC Merced at 4 p.m. Carr earned the honor for his career performance over the past three seasons and is the second Fresno State player to earn CFPA honors, following 2012 CFPA Defensive Back Trophy winner Phillip Thomas. The 2013 CFPA Elite Quarterback Back Trophy is a 22" optic crystal tower with 8" optic crystal football on top. The goal of College Football Performance Awards is to provide the most scientifically rigorous conferments in college football. All recipients are selected exclusively based upon objective scientific rankings of the extent to which individual players increase the overall effectiveness of their teams. Twenty-one CFPA winners have been first round NFL Draft selections.

    ... Now that's pretty cool. I'm telling you, there is something about this young man that screams- FRANCHISE QB. He will be the next Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Brett Farve(his idol). We have a prime opportunity to finally seal the deal at QB and I think we should just pull the trigger. Draft places and spots be damned, how many have we already burned? Let finish this once and for all.

    With Tanney you have a guy that has fun with the football. He's the comedic relief if you will, trick shots and all. It would probably make for a fun QB unit. Tanny is also competitive. I see this as a world class group of guys that could really embrace their places and flourish as a group.

  • I just watched this video, man- that was pretty awesome. Check it out ~IF YOU DARE!!~ LOL

    http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/19/derek-carr-2014-nfl-draft/

  • PoGee I'm not positive that he's the guy but I'm not positive he isn't. But I don't see a veteran out there worth bringing into camp and eating up a roster spot. I have feared all along that it would be Matt Schaub and I'm not 100 percent sure that isn't the plan.

    Of the quarterbacks with a connection to Kyle Shanahan only he and Grossman fit the bill if you were looking for a third.

    Today is Derek Carrs Pro Day?

    Actually as I have said I would take Blake Boetles if I was forced to take one of the top 4 and apparently he knocked it out of the park. So he'll be gone.

    WSS



  • THUN-DER!

    take Derek Carr @ 4 and Davonte Adams @ 26 or the 2nd rounder. Legit.

  • Wow Weeden locks on to every receiver in that highlight reel. I mean he never once looks away from primary. How do you miss that as a talent evaluator?

  • Wow Weeden locks on to every receiver in that highlight reel. I mean he never once looks away from primary. How do you miss that as a talent evaluator?

    @xanthros said:

    Wow Weeden locks on to every receiver in that highlight reel. I mean he never once looks away from primary. How do you miss that as a talent evaluator?

    Holmes1.jpg