Clowney just ran a 4.47
-
With 34.5" arms, it makes it difficult to throw a lot of weight around because there is more movement.
Although Stephen Paea put up 49 reps with 32 7/8" arms though. And a kid, Daniel McCullers, with 36 5/8" arms through up 27 reps.
So I understand both arguments that arm length should or shouldn't have an effect on your benching abilities. Still, his one rep max out would be over 360 lbs. I tried calculating it with an online calculator, but it would only let me do up to 20 reps, and said 363.6 lbs. No one in the NFL is that big and it's more about leverage than pure strength.
With 34.5" arms, it makes it difficult to throw a lot of weight around because there is more movement.
Although Stephen Paea put up 49 reps with 32 7/8" arms though. And a kid, Daniel McCullers, with 36 5/8" arms through up 27 reps.
So I understand both arguments that arm length should or shouldn't have an effect on your benching abilities. Still, his one rep max out would be over 360 lbs. I tried calculating it with an online calculator, but it would only let me do up to 20 reps, and said 363.6 lbs. No one in the NFL is that big and it's more about leverage than pure strength.
Leverage, speed, and legs are all more important IMO.
He'll be fine. Probably will be a monster.
-
.The last thing the Browns need, is a defensive lineman.
well see now that's the thing...we don't know if we're staying 3-4, 4-3...or some kind of hybrid. Well now what's really the thing is that kid can play in all 3 of those defenses. We can put him on the edge in a base 4-3, we can stand him up in a 3-4 just like we ask Sheard and Kruger. Or he can stand up, sit down..whatever he feels like given the situation. Which is what I hope we do with him. He's the prototype hybrid. I hope we draft him and implicitly make it known to Sheard and Kruger that one of them becomes expendable next year so they better produce. If we take him this year than we probably let groves go. We'll have Mingo backing up Sheard and Clowney backing up Kruger. If Sheard and Kruger up their game next year, we could have an outside rush better than KC's.
well see now that's the thing...we don't know if we're staying 3-4, 4-3...or some kind of hybrid. Well now what's really the thing is that kid can play in all 3 of those defenses. We can put him on the edge in a base 4-3, we can stand him up in a 3-4 just like we ask Sheard and Kruger. Or he can stand up, sit down..whatever he feels like given the situation. Which is what I hope we do with him. He's the prototype hybrid. I hope we draft him and implicitly make it known to Sheard and Kruger that one of them becomes expendable next year so they better produce. If we take him this year than we probably let groves go. We'll have Mingo backing up Sheard and Clowney backing up Kruger. If Sheard and Kruger up their game next year, we could have an outside rush better than KC's.
I'd rather have Clowney or Kruger just play DE in a 3-4 if we arent gonna line him up at OLB on a regular basis. I dont want to draft another pass rusher and have him be a backup 2 years in a row.
We could have a DL looking like Bryant - Taylor - Kruger/Clowney
With our LBs looking like Sheard/Mingo - DQwell? - Rookie/FA/Robertson? - Clowney/Kruger
Maybe Mingo can play a little ILB, IDK just a thought.
Just based on what we already have, we'd have to probably trade someone for it to make sense, and with 10 picks, I doubt were really looking to add picks in this years draft.
-
well see now that's the thing...we don't know if we're staying 3-4, 4-3...or some kind of hybrid. Well now what's really the thing is that kid can play in all 3 of those defenses. We can put him on the edge in a base 4-3, we can stand him up in a 3-4 just like we ask Sheard and Kruger. Or he can stand up, sit down..whatever he feels like given the situation. Which is what I hope we do with him. He's the prototype hybrid. I hope we draft him and implicitly make it known to Sheard and Kruger that one of them becomes expendable next year so they better produce. If we take him this year than we probably let groves go. We'll have Mingo backing up Sheard and Clowney backing up Kruger. If Sheard and Kruger up their game next year, we could have an outside rush better than KC's.
I'd rather have Clowney or Kruger just play DE in a 3-4 if we arent gonna line him up at OLB on a regular basis. I dont want to draft another pass rusher and have him be a backup 2 years in a row.
We could have a DL looking like Bryant - Taylor - Kruger/Clowney
With our LBs looking like Sheard/Mingo - DQwell? - Rookie/FA/Robertson? - Clowney/Kruger
Maybe Mingo can play a little ILB, IDK just a thought.
Just based on what we already have, we'd have to probably trade someone for it to make sense, and with 10 picks, I doubt were really looking to add picks in this years draft.
I'd rather have Clowney or Kruger just play DE in a 3-4 if we arent gonna line him up at OLB on a regular basis. I dont want to draft another pass rusher and have him be a backup 2 years in a row.
We could have a DL looking like Bryant - Taylor - Kruger/Clowney
With our LBs looking like Sheard/Mingo - DQwell? - Rookie/FA/Robertson? - Clowney/Kruger
Maybe Mingo can play a little ILB, IDK just a thought.
Just based on what we already have, we'd have to probably trade someone for it to make sense, and with 10 picks, I doubt were really looking to add picks in this years draft.
Clowney is not a 5 tech DE like Bryant is. You don't put a guy like Clowney on the interior in a 3-4. He's not strong enough yet for that. That position is for guys like Watt, Smith and Bryant. Clowney is either a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. Kruger is also not a 5 tech DE. What we can do with Clowney is
1) Use him as a 4-3 DE
2) use him as a 3-4 OLB
3) Use him a 3-4 DE in 3rd down situations. That would potentially allow for schemes where Clowney, Mingo, Bryant, Sheard/Kruger could all be on the field at the same time
4) Do all 3
He's really that versatile. Dude puts some strength on him and in two years he's starting. In the meantime he spells Kruger and Sheard.
-
Put up 21 reps in the bench press... kind of alarming when a punter can put up 23.
Makes you wonder if his work ethic concerns are valid.
Then again a lot of people think the bench press might be overrated & sometimes the taller guys struggle a bit.
Put up 21 reps in the bench press... kind of alarming when a punter can put up 23.
Makes you wonder if his work ethic concerns are valid.
Then again a lot of people think the bench press might be overrated & sometimes the taller guys struggle a bit.
Sure he's fast, but Rapelisburger would knock him on his ass. Needs to build his upper body. Suh would rip him apart.
-
Put up 21 reps in the bench press... kind of alarming when a punter can put up 23.
Makes you wonder if his work ethic concerns are valid.
Then again a lot of people think the bench press might be overrated & sometimes the taller guys struggle a bit.
Sure he's fast, but Rapelisburger would knock him on his ass. Needs to build his upper body. Suh would rip him apart.
you have no clue what youre talking about...Sure he's fast, but Rapelisburger would knock him on his ass. Needs to build his upper body. Suh would rip him apart.
-
-
-
-
-
Clowney is a rare talent...he is the most "sure" thing in the draft.as far as sure to be a superstar.and he isn't sure to be...but close.
If he falls to fourth ya gotta take him.but he wont be there
-
If Watkins is gone, take Clowney. Pretty simple
-
If Watkins is gone, take Clowney. Pretty simple
what if both are gone?If Watkins is gone, take Clowney. Pretty simple
-
I wouldn't draft Clowney. If he's there, I would draft Khalil Mack instead, or Watkins..
We have the dline. We need a game dominating lb, a qb, and a #2 wr. That makes the Browns
defense hugely improved. What does it matter, if Clowney is so good, and the
qb simply dumps the ball off on a quick hitter again and again?
Khalil Mack. That is the Browns' first round pick at 4. The qb's just aren't
locked in top five type of players.
Because there's a dropoff with the top 4 or 5 lbs in the draft, all of them may go
before the Browns pick in the second. That's figuring that they might then
go qb with their second pick in the first round.
1. Khalil Mack
1. ....wr or.....Derek Carr?
2. OG?
3. cb?
3. eh?
This draft is the craziest in years, I think. But Clowney? No, not for the Browns.
-
I think I'll cry if we draft Derek Carr. He just seems so, so much like Weeden it's unreal.
-
I can't say no to Clowney if he's there. Dude is too beastly he'll make an immediate impact wherever he goes IMO.
-
About Mack:
He'll make a bigger impact than Clowney. That's just me thinkin.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140223/khalil-mack-buffalo-nfl-draft/
And I'm not really thinkin Carr....but he isn't any Weedone. He has some fire,
and he's pretty fast in the forty. Weedon can't even run a 40 at full speed, and
he doesn't give a frack.
Carr intensely has some fire, and he's far smarter. Is he the right guy? Beats me.
What if he was as good as Eli Manning? with a better cast all around?
-
I think I'll cry if we draft Derek Carr. He just seems so, so much like Weeden it's unreal.
-
About Mack:
He'll make a bigger impact than Clowney. That's just me thinkin.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140223/khalil-mack-buffalo-nfl-draft/
And I'm not really thinkin Carr....but he isn't any Weedone. He has some fire,
and he's pretty fast in the forty. Weedon can't even run a 40 at full speed, and
he doesn't give a frack.
Carr intensely has some fire, and he's far smarter. Is he the right guy? Beats me.
What if he was as good as Eli Manning? with a better cast all around?
From what Ive seen of Mack I think he'd make a great MLB in a 3/4. But given the choice between him and Clowney.....I just dont see how anyone can pass on Clowney.About Mack:
He'll make a bigger impact than Clowney. That's just me thinkin.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140223/khalil-mack-buffalo-nfl-draft/
And I'm not really thinkin Carr....but he isn't any Weedone. He has some fire,
and he's pretty fast in the forty. Weedon can't even run a 40 at full speed, and
he doesn't give a frack.
Carr intensely has some fire, and he's far smarter. Is he the right guy? Beats me.
What if he was as good as Eli Manning? with a better cast all around?
-
From what Ive seen of Mack I think he'd make a great MLB in a 3/4. But given the choice between him and Clowney.....I just dont see how anyone can pass on Clowney.About Mack:
He'll make a bigger impact than Clowney. That's just me thinkin.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140223/khalil-mack-buffalo-nfl-draft/
And I'm not really thinkin Carr....but he isn't any Weedone. He has some fire,
and he's pretty fast in the forty. Weedon can't even run a 40 at full speed, and
he doesn't give a frack.
Carr intensely has some fire, and he's far smarter. Is he the right guy? Beats me.
What if he was as good as Eli Manning? with a better cast all around?
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
From what Ive seen of Mack I think he'd make a great MLB in a 3/4. But given the choice between him and Clowney.....I just dont see how anyone can pass on Clowney.
If he could play the middle LB position I would be all for him. But he is listed primarily as an OLB where we have a decent crowded field.
-
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
From what Ive seen of Mack I think he'd make a great MLB in a 3/4. But given the choice between him and Clowney.....I just dont see how anyone can pass on Clowney.
If he could play the middle LB position I would be all for him. But he is listed primarily as an OLB where we have a decent crowded field.
yeah hes got the "pass rusher" tag, but he played a little bit of everything at Buffalo. Hes a little small for 3/4 OLB and I think 4/3 OLB would be his best fit. But, hes great in coverage, strong taking on blockers in the run game and has great instincts. I think hes perfect for 3/4 ILB.If he could play the middle LB position I would be all for him. But he is listed primarily as an OLB where we have a decent crowded field.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login