Skip to content

Mack or Watkins

The Browns Board
36 16 1.3k
  • If you take mack that means the likely hood that Evans falls increases so I hope the browns take mack 🙂

  • I mean, this says all it needs to:

    "He has all the measurables," Pettine said. "If you look at him, if you said draw me an NFL quarterback, that's probably who you'd draw.

    "I think the thing that's impressive about him is his ability in crunch time in a lot of tight games, a lot of come-from-behind wins, you can see he's confident, can make all the throws, I think he's a better athlete than some people give him credit for."

    In my opinion, even if I hadn't watched a single snap of Bortles, I would want him based solely on those quotes.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I mean, this says all it needs to:

    "He has all the measurables," Pettine said. "If you look at him, if you said draw me an NFL quarterback, that's probably who you'd draw.

    "I think the thing that's impressive about him is his ability in crunch time in a lot of tight games, a lot of come-from-behind wins, you can see he's confident, can make all the throws, I think he's a better athlete than some people give him credit for."

    In my opinion, even if I hadn't watched a single snap of Bortles, I would want him based solely on those quotes.

    The thing about this is there is no position on the team in which the unmeasurables are most important, and in my opinion, as or even more important than the measurables. I suppose the thing about crunch time talent speaks to this to some extent.

  • The question was....Mack or Watkins?

    My answer is.....Mack!

    Just an old man with an opinion.

    Mike

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I mean, this says all it needs to:

    "He has all the measurables," Pettine said. "If you look at him, if you said draw me an NFL quarterback, that's probably who you'd draw.

    "I think the thing that's impressive about him is his ability in crunch time in a lot of tight games, a lot of come-from-behind wins, you can see he's confident, can make all the throws, I think he's a better athlete than some people give him credit for."

    In my opinion, even if I hadn't watched a single snap of Bortles, I would want him based solely on those quotes.

    The thing about this is there is no position on the team in which the unmeasurables are most important, and in my opinion, as or even more important than the measurables. I suppose the thing about crunch time talent speaks to this to some extent.

    @osiris said:

    The thing about this is there is no position on the team in which the unmeasurables are most important, and in my opinion, as or even more important than the measurables. I suppose the thing about crunch time talent speaks to this to some extent.

    Bortles is the best QB in terms of "measurables" as well?

    Or are you talking about statistics?

  • @osiris said:

    The thing about this is there is no position on the team in which the unmeasurables are most important, and in my opinion, as or even more important than the measurables. I suppose the thing about crunch time talent speaks to this to some extent.

    Bortles is the best QB in terms of "measurables" as well?

    Or are you talking about statistics?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Bortles is the best QB in terms of "measurables" as well?

    Or are you talking about statistics?

    Let me rephrase. I mean intangibles are extremely important in a quarterback, so Bortles having good measurables does not convince me he is the best QB unless he also has the intangible things: intelligence, fast mental processing, pocket presence, receiver progression, etc. Those things you can only get a sense of by watching a guy play and not measuring his body or statistics.

  • Watkins for days.

  • Carr > Bortles

  • I've been on the Watkins Wagon for a long time, haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

  • Mack one hundred and ten percent. We can easily grab a no 2 receiver with our second first rounder or our second maybe even one of the third rounders considering how deep this wr class is. I can certainly see how enticing it would be to take Watkins but it doesn't make sense to me considering we would have to pay josh Gordon and Watkins big money. Too much money in one position.

  • Mack one hundred and ten percent. We can easily grab a no 2 receiver with our second first rounder or our second maybe even one of the third rounders considering how deep this wr class is. I can certainly see how enticing it would be to take Watkins but it doesn't make sense to me considering we would have to pay josh Gordon and Watkins big money. Too much money in one position.

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Mack one hundred and ten percent. We can easily grab a no 2 receiver with our second first rounder or our second maybe even one of the third rounders considering how deep this wr class is. I can certainly see how enticing it would be to take Watkins but it doesn't make sense to me considering we would have to pay josh Gordon and Watkins big money. Too much money in one position.

    Only problem Gunner- and Mike H has been harping on it- Mack's natural position is OLB- and the Browns are loaded there.

    Yeah- Watkins might be overkill- but tell that to Atlanta who traded a boatload to the Browns to get Julio Jones, when they already had Roddy White. We give up nothing to do that. Watkins will be on a relatively cheap rookie contract for years too.

    Or would you rather we wait until the second round and potentially wind up with another Mohammed Massivedrop, Slowbiski or our current Butterfingers Braylon wannabe Little? I wouldn't rule out the Browns going qb @ #4, which means they would pick a wr @ #26.

  • the only thing is when we are discussing WRs i really like evans over watkins.

    yeah watkins is a guy that can catch a screen and take it a mile, but so is dixon at RB or hawkins or benjamin at WR. if there is a deal to be had to move down to 9 or 10 and pick up evans and garner another pick (having the guy they covet gone @4) i take that deal in a second and draft evans.

    he is by far the other biggest game changer at WR in the draft. big, great hands, with the height and weight to take any kind of ball out of the air thrown to him. just go back and look at the combine, or to all you manziel fans, look at the last 2 years at OKST.

    this in my book is my second no brainer, which i'd rather see happen than adding another DE or some 'iffy' QB. then again wtf do i know EXCEPT that our second pick BETTER be a CB to play opposite haden. how many years are we just going to let some under-sized scrubs play opposite a pro-bowl corner when most teams in the league nowadays have 2-3 threats at TE and WR on the field every down?

  • the only thing is when we are discussing WRs i really like evans over watkins.

    yeah watkins is a guy that can catch a screen and take it a mile, but so is dixon at RB or hawkins or benjamin at WR. if there is a deal to be had to move down to 9 or 10 and pick up evans and garner another pick (having the guy they covet gone @4) i take that deal in a second and draft evans.

    he is by far the other biggest game changer at WR in the draft. big, great hands, with the height and weight to take any kind of ball out of the air thrown to him. just go back and look at the combine, or to all you manziel fans, look at the last 2 years at OKST.

    this in my book is my second no brainer, which i'd rather see happen than adding another DE or some 'iffy' QB. then again wtf do i know EXCEPT that our second pick BETTER be a CB to play opposite haden. how many years are we just going to let some under-sized scrubs play opposite a pro-bowl corner when most teams in the league nowadays have 2-3 threats at TE and WR on the field every down?

    @miktoxic said:

    the only thing is when we are discussing WRs i really like evans over watkins.

    yeah watkins is a guy that can catch a screen and take it a mile, but so is dixon at RB or hawkins or benjamin at WR. if there is a deal to be had to move down to 9 or 10 and pick up evans and garner another pick (having the guy they covet gone @4) i take that deal in a second and draft evans.

    he is by far the other biggest game changer at WR in the draft. big, great hands, with the height and weight to take any kind of ball out of the air thrown to him. just go back and look at the combine, or to all you manziel fans, look at the last 2 years at OKST.

    this in my book is my second no brainer, which i'd rather see happen than adding another DE or some 'iffy' QB. then again wtf do i know EXCEPT that our second pick BETTER be a CB to play opposite haden. how many years are we just going to let some under-sized scrubs play opposite a pro-bowl corner when most teams in the league nowadays have 2-3 threats at TE and WR on the field every down?

    I agree with this assessment. I'd rather us get the jump ball specialist than another guy who brings nearly the same skill set we already have. If would could trade down and still get Evans, i'd be happy.

  • When given two equally talented individuals, I say go with the area of greater need. To me that would be wide receiver and hence I'd go with Watkins.

    @osiris said:

    When given two equally talented individuals, I say go with the area of greater need. To me that would be wide receiver and hence I'd go with Watkins.

    But I would say that our far greater area of need is MLB. We got a topnotch #1 WR, a Pro Bowler at TE. We have Hawkins now, and Benjamin, and Josh Cooper and even Greg Little still.

    We got diddly squat at MLB....except Craig Robertson....the Greg Little of the defense.

    But....I will note what has been mentioned already: Mack may not be an ILB. More of an outside guy.

    Maybe better to take Watkins and try to get a Shazier or the like later on.

  • @osiris said:

    When given two equally talented individuals, I say go with the area of greater need. To me that would be wide receiver and hence I'd go with Watkins.

    But I would say that our far greater area of need is MLB. We got a topnotch #1 WR, a Pro Bowler at TE. We have Hawkins now, and Benjamin, and Josh Cooper and even Greg Little still.

    We got diddly squat at MLB....except Craig Robertson....the Greg Little of the defense.

    But....I will note what has been mentioned already: Mack may not be an ILB. More of an outside guy.

    Maybe better to take Watkins and try to get a Shazier or the like later on.

    @the-gipper said:

    But I would say that our far greater area of need is MLB. We got a topnotch #1 WR, a Pro Bowler at TE. We have Hawkins now, and Benjamin, and Josh Cooper and even Greg Little still.

    We got diddly squat at MLB....except Craig Robertson....the Greg Little of the defense.

    But....I will note what has been mentioned already: Mack may not be an ILB. More of an outside guy.

    Maybe better to take Watkins and try to get a Shazier or the like later on.

    I agree, Mack would not be moved to ILB (per Pettine) - a Watkins/Shazier 1st round would be a pretty incredible pull -

  • How about this.

    4. Evans

    26. Manziel

    35. Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    3rd. Jordan Tripp

    After that we draft a G, FB, S and another QB like Mettenberger, Fales, or Murray.

  • RAVENS FAN 1965 said:

    Honestly who really gives a fuck who the fake cleveland browns select. You people who root for this joke of a franchise are a bunch of mindless sheep.

    you fucking purple wearing ratbird loving homo, everything about your fake franchise is a lie. You stole the franchise to begin with, root for murderers and woman beaters, then come in here to stomp on the fans you fucked? Go run naked in the highway you scum of the earth piece of shit.
  • RAVENS FAN 1965 said:

    Honestly who really gives a fuck who the fake cleveland browns select. You people who root for this joke of a franchise are a bunch of mindless sheep.

    If you're just here to piss on Browns fans, that will be your first and last post.

  • RAVENS FAN 1965 said:

    Honestly who really gives a fuck who the fake cleveland browns select. You people who root for this joke of a franchise are a bunch of mindless sheep.

  • GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Mack one hundred and ten percent. We can easily grab a no 2 receiver with our second first rounder or our second maybe even one of the third rounders considering how deep this wr class is. I can certainly see how enticing it would be to take Watkins but it doesn't make sense to me considering we would have to pay josh Gordon and Watkins big money. Too much money in one position.

    Only problem Gunner- and Mike H has been harping on it- Mack's natural position is OLB- and the Browns are loaded there.

    Yeah- Watkins might be overkill- but tell that to Atlanta who traded a boatload to the Browns to get Julio Jones, when they already had Roddy White. We give up nothing to do that. Watkins will be on a relatively cheap rookie contract for years too.

    Or would you rather we wait until the second round and potentially wind up with another Mohammed Massivedrop, Slowbiski or our current Butterfingers Braylon wannabe Little? I wouldn't rule out the Browns going qb @ #4, which means they would pick a wr @ #26.

    @hoorta said:

    Only problem Gunner- and Mike H has been harping on it- Mack's natural position is OLB- and the Browns are loaded there.

    Yeah- Watkins might be overkill- but tell that to Atlanta who traded a boatload to the Browns to get Julio Jones, when they already had Roddy White. We give up nothing to do that. Watkins will be on a relatively cheap rookie contract for years too.

    Or would you rather we wait until the second round and potentially wind up with another Mohammed Massivedrop, Slowbiski or our current Butterfingers Braylon wannabe Little? I wouldn't rule out the Browns going qb @ #4, which means they would pick a wr @ #26.

    The Falcons are a great example and I thank you for bringing them up.

    Even WITH a franchise QB, the Falcons haven't been able to make it to the Super Bowl with two strong WR's.

    Jones is still on his rookie contract, but both he an Roddy White will be FA's next season and I don't see Atlanta being able to keep both. White is already commanding 7 mil a year and Jones 4, a modest number. New contracts will see each eating up at least 6 mill of cap in their first year, probably.

    Further, there's just as much of a chance that Watkins busts. Just because he's proclaimed to be the next big WR doesn't mean he will be, as you should well know. Just as we could get a MoMass in round 2, we could also get an Alshon.

    Kelvin Benjamin or Allen Robinson would be fantastic picks in the second. Both are large redzone targets, Benjamin at 6'5 has the body to box out defenders and could even be flexed in on 2TE Sets, while Robinson at 6'3 has 40 inches of vert and can literally catch balls thrown over the crossbar.

    Robinson could have caught that ball Weeden rocketed into the stands against the Ravens.

    This is a good breakdown with video. I don't care who did the breakdown, it's still good.

    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-player-profiles-penn-state-wr-allen-robinson/

  • Pettine said he wouldn't move Mack to ILB, but he also said he doesn't see a particular need at ILB. He also said OLB is our deepest position group, but wouldn't rule out drafting Clowney or Mack... whatever the fu** that all means...

    I wouldn't use the #4 pick on Mack. He's another undersized OLB who needs to put on weight and add strength to become an elite pass-rusher. If we go that direction, which I hope we don't, I see it being more realistically used on Clowney who seems more NFL-ready, but in all likelihood he'll be gone...

    If the rumors are true about our interest in D.Jackson, it shows that the team wants to upgrade our WR2 spot significantly, but it also tells me we don't want to use our first pick to do so...

    I wouldn't use the #4 pick on Watkins. As posted before, if he pans out we'll be paying $20+ million a year to keep him and Gordon around in a few years, and we still aren't sure we'd have a QB to get those guys the ball...

    I think the #4 pick almost HAS to be a QB. We have picks #26 and #35 to add a WR and CB (which based on the rumors regarding Revis, I believe is another position we try and upgrade significantly). Why waste that early of a pick on your 5th OLB or your WR2? I'd rather have a guy who can get in there and at least compete to become our franchise QB - and I see 2 possibilities... Bortles or Bridgewater.

    Dream scenerio - #4 Bortles, #26 Benjamin/Robinson/Fuller., #35 Robinson/Matthews/Roberson

    Nighmare scenerio - #1 Bortles, #2 Clowney, #3 Bridgewater... If we are in this position, I would try my damndest to trade out of our spot b/c we'd be reaching for anybody to fill a need at this point, and drafting BPA would leave us with the OP's question? Mack or Watkins... I say neither...