The RB Position
-
I've watched a little of Virginia RB Cedric Peerman recently, and he's really impressed me. Here's a scouting report on him:
Positives: Short, thick build that appears capable of handling NFL punishment. Quick to the hole. Good lateral agility to make defenders miss. Runs with surprising authority. Can bounce to the outside and has the burst to get to the second level. Might lack elite stopwatch speed, but plays fast and can pull away in the open field. Soft hands out of the backfield. High effort player who makes those around him better.
Negatives: Lacks the bulk teams are looking for in a bell-cow runner. May have to be a change of pace back in the NFL due to his struggles in staying healthy. Missed second half of 2007 with Lisfranc surgery on his right foot and missed time last season with a bruised knee. Very small hands, which scouts fear will lead to fumbles. Didn't help his cause in this area with a fumble during the Senior Bowl.
He reminds me a little bit of another Virginia alum, Tiki Barber. He may start off his career as a change of pace back/kick returner, but he could grow into a decent committee back.
Though he's about the same size as Jerome Harrison, his running style is a lot more physical. I could think of worse things than taking Peerman on Day Two & having him, Harrison, and a bigger back (maybe JLew?) hold down the RB fort for a year.
-
Harrison is the type of back that benefits from getting limited carries. I think his yards per carry will significantly decrease, at a rate much faster than bigger, stronger, between the tackles types of backs, if he gets 20 carries. His maximum value is being used 8-14 plays a game, so that he can keep his suprise element and defenses aren't thoroughly prepared for him.
If he gets any more plays than that per game and defenses base a large part of their scouting report on him, I think you'll see a drastic reduction in yards per play and/or carry and quite possibly a very beat up Harrison.
-
Of course his YPC would decrease with an expanded role. That is expected. But I don't see what matters about this magical "20 carry" zone where smaller running backs die and bigger ones become super human. Only four running backs in the NFL averaged over 20 carries per game in 2008, Seven over 19.
I don't remember Priest Holmes struggling to carry 20+ carries a game several seasons in a row. He had a similar build to Jerome too.
-
IMO, Harrison falls into a category of players like Wimbley, Alex Hall, and DA. They can start off like stars, but once defenses figure them out, their impact was drastically reduced because they were one dimensional. Much like DA is better suited to be a back-up and catch defenses by surpise and Wimbley/Alex Hall may be better suited to be situational pass-rushers, I think Harrison is better suited in the 10-touch area than the 20-touch area.
Regardless of size, I don't think Harrison's skill set is anywhere near Priest Holmes'.
-
Andre Brown would be a good guy to tandem with JLew & Harrison. If we acquire an additional 2nd/3rd round pick, I wouldn't mind seeing us draft this guy:
-
I vote "non-of-the-above". How come there isn't a "keep Jlew in the mode of the Bus in his last years and draft a RB." To me this is the most logical equation, especially if they get 5 picks on day 1. JL may not have the speed we want with our starting RB, but he isn't completely done and if he is willing to tutor other RB's and be a short yardage back....perfect. Especially with this guys commitment to 'healthy eating and conditioning', with Mangini's style I would guess Lewis' training style would be desired.
-
The Strength of Our Next Runningback
The Skill of Our Next Runningback
The Team of our next Runningback (he's number 23 in this vid)
Rashad Jennings is the man, SPEED, SIZE, STRENGTH, he has it all, and coupled with Harrison would make a combo better than White/Johnson
-
After Jennings he seems to have power, but I noticed two things:
Most of his runs are on sweeps and counters.
All throughout the video he cuts right INTO a defender instead of away from him.
looks to have potential though from just watching the highlight videos.
I'd take him third round.
-
Now, Im not Gay or anything but....

Rashad is HUGE, JACKED, CUT, whatever.... Draft him now
-
The Strength of Our Next Runningback
The Skill of Our Next Runningback
The Team of our next Runningback (he's number 23 in this vid)
Rashad Jennings is the man, SPEED, SIZE, STRENGTH, he has it all, and coupled with Harrison would make a combo better than White/Johnson
The Skill of Our Next Runningback
Playground, you've posted this clip eight times. I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns.
-
The Skill of Our Next Runningback
Playground, you've posted this clip eight times. I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns.
Aloysius said:
Playground, you've posted this clip eight times. I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns.and with your reply and quote, that makes it nine!
Sorry dude, but sometimes ppl still dont bother with Jennings, sorry man, gotta promote the beast
Oh, and the browns were present at his pro day when he ran in the mid to low 4.4's
At 135lbs couple with a low 4.4 makes a train... a maglev train. Thats his new nickname, Maglev
-
@inspecta said:
Harrison is not afraid of contact, he takes on bigger LB most of the time and breaks their tackles. The kid is special, it's one of phils better draft picks. The kid can carry the ball 15 times a game and be A-ok.He did average 27 carries a game his senior year at WSU. That worked out to 1,900 yards, 6.2 ypc, and 16TDs, in 11 games.
-
Aloysius said:
Playground, you've posted this clip eight times. I think we've reached a point of diminishing returns.and with your reply and quote, that makes it nine!
Sorry dude, but sometimes ppl still dont bother with Jennings, sorry man, gotta promote the beast
Oh, and the browns were present at his pro day when he ran in the mid to low 4.4's
At 135lbs couple with a low 4.4 makes a train... a maglev train. Thats his new nickname, Maglev
Sorry dude, but sometimes ppl still dont bother with Jennings, sorry man, gotta promote the beast
Probably because you have posted that clip that many times, started threads about him, and pimped him adnasium. Just like Rey.
-
@inspecta said:
Harrison is not afraid of contact, he takes on bigger LB most of the time and breaks their tackles. The kid is special, it's one of phils better draft picks. The kid can carry the ball 15 times a game and be A-ok.He did average 27 carries a game his senior year at WSU. That worked out to 1,900 yards, 6.2 ypc, and 16TDs, in 11 games.
Masters said:
He did average 27 carries a game his senior year at WSU. That worked out to 1,900 yards, 6.2 ypc, and 16TDs, in 11 games.And that is very impressive
-
Masters said:
He did average 27 carries a game his senior year at WSU. That worked out to 1,900 yards, 6.2 ypc, and 16TDs, in 11 games.And that is very impressive
And that is very impressive
It was. Especially when you consider Reggie Bush didn't put up numbers like that the same season. Also Harrison put up big numbers against USC
-
Harrison is the type of back that benefits from getting limited carries. I think his yards per carry will significantly decrease, at a rate much faster than bigger, stronger, between the tackles types of backs, if he gets 20 carries. His maximum value is being used 8-14 plays a game, so that he can keep his suprise element and defenses aren't thoroughly prepared for him.
If he gets any more plays than that per game and defenses base a large part of their scouting report on him, I think you'll see a drastic reduction in yards per play and/or carry and quite possibly a very beat up Harrison.
Harrison is the type of back that benefits from getting limited carries. I think his yards per carry will significantly decrease, at a rate much faster than bigger, stronger, between the tackles types of backs, if he gets 20 carries. His maximum value is being used 8-14 plays a game, so that he can keep his suprise element and defenses aren't thoroughly prepared for him.
If he gets any more plays than that per game and defenses base a large part of their scouting report on him, I think you'll see a drastic reduction in yards per play and/or carry and quite possibly a very beat up Harrison.
Harrison is the same height and 10 lbs less than Deangelo Williams. Williams average about 17 carries a game.
Harrison is capable of the same.
At 5'8" and 200 lbs Barry Sanders was one the greatest NFL backs of all time. This size theory doesn't sell for me. The thing that matters is a line that blocks for him.
Keep Lewis and go after a back next year
-
When at the pro level has Harrison been asked to run between the tackles either? It's a little hard to say he can't, when he hasn't been given the opportunity.
D. Williams covered already
Portis is 5-11 223lbs
T. Jones 5-10 215lbs
S. Slaton 5-9 201lbs
C. Johnson 5-11 200lbs
J. Harrison 5-9 205lbs
The bigest difference between most of those guys is opportunity. Harrison might not be able to do it, but he could just as likely be like Slaton.
-
Harrison is the type of back that benefits from getting limited carries. I think his yards per carry will significantly decrease, at a rate much faster than bigger, stronger, between the tackles types of backs, if he gets 20 carries. His maximum value is being used 8-14 plays a game, so that he can keep his suprise element and defenses aren't thoroughly prepared for him.
If he gets any more plays than that per game and defenses base a large part of their scouting report on him, I think you'll see a drastic reduction in yards per play and/or carry and quite possibly a very beat up Harrison.
Harrison is the same height and 10 lbs less than Deangelo Williams. Williams average about 17 carries a game.
Harrison is capable of the same.
At 5'8" and 200 lbs Barry Sanders was one the greatest NFL backs of all time. This size theory doesn't sell for me. The thing that matters is a line that blocks for him.
Keep Lewis and go after a back next year
Harrison is the same height and 10 lbs less than Deangelo Williams. Williams average about 17 carries a game.
Harrison is capable of the same.
At 5'8" and 200 lbs Barry Sanders was one the greatest NFL backs of all time. This size theory doesn't sell for me. The thing that matters is a line that blocks for him.
Keep Lewis and go after a back next year
I agree. I don't think size is all that important. Dunn isn't a big guy but it seems he has been doing well for 20 years.
-
MIght be wishful thinking since they already paid Lewis a $4+ million roster bonus. Don't think they would pay the bonus if they planned on drafting a RB high.
Personally I like Donald Brown in the second round, but like I mentioned above, there's little hope for that. Maybe, if they get a few more picks, they would consider Jennings.
Even if they don't draft a RB Harrison has to be involved in the offense way more. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the primary back with Lewis coming in to take about 15 carries a game to spell Harrison, short yardage situations and end of the game grind outs.
I also would like to see Cribbs lined up on the backfield on 3rd down and used more like Mangini used Brad Smith. If Cribbs is lined up in the backfield on 3rd down the defense has to respect him. He can take a handoff from the QB, take a direct snap and run the ball, take a direct snap and pass the ball and motion out of the backfield and go out for a pass.
So, I like Harrison and since we already paid Lewis, he'll split carries, but I also like Cribbs as the 3rd down back in some cases. I'd say he's better at picking up the blitz then Harrison and can compliment our lack of receivers to spread the field. Plus, he is dangerous anytime you get him the ball and has to be respected which could pull double coverage from another receiver.
-
MIght be wishful thinking since they already paid Lewis a $4+ million roster bonus. Don't think they would pay the bonus if they planned on drafting a RB high.
Personally I like Donald Brown in the second round, but like I mentioned above, there's little hope for that. Maybe, if they get a few more picks, they would consider Jennings.
Even if they don't draft a RB Harrison has to be involved in the offense way more. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the primary back with Lewis coming in to take about 15 carries a game to spell Harrison, short yardage situations and end of the game grind outs.
I also would like to see Cribbs lined up on the backfield on 3rd down and used more like Mangini used Brad Smith. If Cribbs is lined up in the backfield on 3rd down the defense has to respect him. He can take a handoff from the QB, take a direct snap and run the ball, take a direct snap and pass the ball and motion out of the backfield and go out for a pass.
So, I like Harrison and since we already paid Lewis, he'll split carries, but I also like Cribbs as the 3rd down back in some cases. I'd say he's better at picking up the blitz then Harrison and can compliment our lack of receivers to spread the field. Plus, he is dangerous anytime you get him the ball and has to be respected which could pull double coverage from another receiver.
MIght be wishful thinking since they already paid Lewis a $4+ million roster bonus. Don't think they would pay the bonus if they planned on drafting a RB high.
Personally I like Donald Brown in the second round, but like I mentioned above, there's little hope for that. Maybe, if they get a few more picks, they would consider Jennings.
Even if they don't draft a RB Harrison has to be involved in the offense way more. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the primary back with Lewis coming in to take about 15 carries a game to spell Harrison, short yardage situations and end of the game grind outs.
I also would like to see Cribbs lined up on the backfield on 3rd down and used more like Mangini used Brad Smith. If Cribbs is lined up in the backfield on 3rd down the defense has to respect him. He can take a handoff from the QB, take a direct snap and run the ball, take a direct snap and pass the ball and motion out of the backfield and go out for a pass.
So, I like Harrison and since we already paid Lewis, he'll split carries, but I also like Cribbs as the 3rd down back in some cases. I'd say he's better at picking up the blitz then Harrison and can compliment our lack of receivers to spread the field. Plus, he is dangerous anytime you get him the ball and has to be respected which could pull double coverage from another receiver.
Great points Ytown. I agree whole heartedly with everything but Brown. I wouldn't mind having him but I think there are more pressig needs. I really like the crop of RB's that will come in next year's draft.
I especially like the thought of using Cribbs more. As a matter of fact, I think it would be asinine not to use this guy more.
It just has to happen.
If moving Cribbs to Safety will not be an option, then please, get more production out of him offensively! I'd love seeing Quinn and Cribbs side by side in the shotgun. My gosh, the plays that the OC could run from that backfield formation!
It's easy to see the kid has a special talent. Why do you want to have him sitting on the sidelines so much? It just doesn't make sense. None. You have to try and get him the ball.
Even a swing pass out of the backfield would allow Cribbs to use that special talent he has for finding room to run.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login