Skip to content

The Good The Bad The Ugly of QB draft years

The Browns Board
13 5 386
  • T Tiott wrote on last edited by
    #2

    You can add Nick foles to the 2012 class too

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #3

    another on the foles bagwagon.

    we'll see how he does this year.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #4

    no kosar in '85?

  • You can add Nick foles to the 2012 class too

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @tiott said:

    You can add Nick foles to the 2012 class too

    Absolutely. I just overlooked him.

  • no kosar in '85?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @miktoxic said:

    no kosar in '85?

    1985 would be a somewhat middling year as not much else besides Kosar came out that year. (Plus, I was mostly looking at the regular draft)

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #7

    All this backs me up with my thoughts that the top rated QB in any draft year is NOT necessarily a "Franchise QB", as some may believe. Obviously, there have been years when teams would have been wise to "wait 'till next year".

    Mike

  • All this backs me up with my thoughts that the top rated QB in any draft year is NOT necessarily a "Franchise QB", as some may believe. Obviously, there have been years when teams would have been wise to "wait 'till next year".

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #8

    @canton-mike said:

    All this backs me up with my thoughts that the top rated QB in any draft year is NOT necessarily a "Franchise QB", as some may believe. Obviously, there have been years when teams would have been wise to "wait 'till next year".

    Mike

    That was my prime motivation in starting this thread. Some years you just aren't going to get a decent QB....even though teams may think they are out there.

    2007: Looked good, no? The freak at #1 who could throw 60 yards from his knees. Maybe he should have stayed on his knees to make all his throws. Brady Quinn, hometown boy from the Golden Dome. Well, he ended up about the same way as Aerys Targaryen...who also wore a golden dome.

    And sometime it is not the QB you think that will emerge as a superstar from a drafta:

    1991: Both Dan McGwire at #16 and Todd Marinovich at #24 were drafted ahead of a guy taken at #33 by the name of Brett Favre.

    2000: Obviously we don't need to remind people about who was taken at #199 of that draft

    2001: The superstar QB of that draft was not the guy taken #1, Vick, but the guy taken #32: Brees

    1979: Jack Thompson, Steve Fuller, both high in the first round. (taken in round 3: a guy with the same name as a western state) where I am going fly fishing with my son in October)

    1973: Good QBs taken in round 1: Bert Jones/....but Dan Fouts was taken in round 3

    1972: We go back to where the best QB taken was a guy named Sipe in round 13!

    Of couse, some years, the guy that is supposed to be it....is it, or at least does pretty well:

    1970 Bradshaw

    1971 Plunkett (2 SB wins, though maybe Ken Anderson was better overall)

    1983 Elway

    1989 Aikman

    1998 Peyton

    and etc.

  • @canton-mike said:

    All this backs me up with my thoughts that the top rated QB in any draft year is NOT necessarily a "Franchise QB", as some may believe. Obviously, there have been years when teams would have been wise to "wait 'till next year".

    Mike

    That was my prime motivation in starting this thread. Some years you just aren't going to get a decent QB....even though teams may think they are out there.

    2007: Looked good, no? The freak at #1 who could throw 60 yards from his knees. Maybe he should have stayed on his knees to make all his throws. Brady Quinn, hometown boy from the Golden Dome. Well, he ended up about the same way as Aerys Targaryen...who also wore a golden dome.

    And sometime it is not the QB you think that will emerge as a superstar from a drafta:

    1991: Both Dan McGwire at #16 and Todd Marinovich at #24 were drafted ahead of a guy taken at #33 by the name of Brett Favre.

    2000: Obviously we don't need to remind people about who was taken at #199 of that draft

    2001: The superstar QB of that draft was not the guy taken #1, Vick, but the guy taken #32: Brees

    1979: Jack Thompson, Steve Fuller, both high in the first round. (taken in round 3: a guy with the same name as a western state) where I am going fly fishing with my son in October)

    1973: Good QBs taken in round 1: Bert Jones/....but Dan Fouts was taken in round 3

    1972: We go back to where the best QB taken was a guy named Sipe in round 13!

    Of couse, some years, the guy that is supposed to be it....is it, or at least does pretty well:

    1970 Bradshaw

    1971 Plunkett (2 SB wins, though maybe Ken Anderson was better overall)

    1983 Elway

    1989 Aikman

    1998 Peyton

    and etc.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @the-gipper said:

    That was my prime motivation in starting this thread. Some years you just aren't going to get a decent QB....even though teams may think they are out there.

    2007: Looked good, no? The freak at #1 who could throw 60 yards from his knees. Maybe he should have stayed on his knees to make all his throws. Brady Quinn, hometown boy from the Golden Dome. Well, he ended up about the same way as Aerys Targaryen...who also wore a golden dome.

    And sometime it is not the QB you think that will emerge as a superstar from a drafta:

    1991: Both Dan McGwire at #16 and Todd Marinovich at #24 were drafted ahead of a guy taken at #33 by the name of Brett Favre.

    2000: Obviously we don't need to remind people about who was taken at #199 of that draft

    2001: The superstar QB of that draft was not the guy taken #1, Vick, but the guy taken #32: Brees

    1979: Jack Thompson, Steve Fuller, both high in the first round. (taken in round 3: a guy with the same name as a western state) where I am going fly fishing with my son in October)

    1973: Good QBs taken in round 1: Bert Jones/....but Dan Fouts was taken in round 3

    1972: We go back to where the best QB taken was a guy named Sipe in round 13!

    Of couse, some years, the guy that is supposed to be it....is it, or at least does pretty well:

    1970 Bradshaw

    1971 Plunkett (2 SB wins, though maybe Ken Anderson was better overall)

    1983 Elway

    1989 Aikman

    1998 Peyton

    and etc.

    Gipper,

    That's why I think this is a great thread. I have read SO many times that "We have to get our franchise QB THIS year" that I could barf! There may not be a franchise QB IN this draft. We'll know what the Pros think on May 8th.

    Mike

  • @the-gipper said:

    That was my prime motivation in starting this thread. Some years you just aren't going to get a decent QB....even though teams may think they are out there.

    2007: Looked good, no? The freak at #1 who could throw 60 yards from his knees. Maybe he should have stayed on his knees to make all his throws. Brady Quinn, hometown boy from the Golden Dome. Well, he ended up about the same way as Aerys Targaryen...who also wore a golden dome.

    And sometime it is not the QB you think that will emerge as a superstar from a drafta:

    1991: Both Dan McGwire at #16 and Todd Marinovich at #24 were drafted ahead of a guy taken at #33 by the name of Brett Favre.

    2000: Obviously we don't need to remind people about who was taken at #199 of that draft

    2001: The superstar QB of that draft was not the guy taken #1, Vick, but the guy taken #32: Brees

    1979: Jack Thompson, Steve Fuller, both high in the first round. (taken in round 3: a guy with the same name as a western state) where I am going fly fishing with my son in October)

    1973: Good QBs taken in round 1: Bert Jones/....but Dan Fouts was taken in round 3

    1972: We go back to where the best QB taken was a guy named Sipe in round 13!

    Of couse, some years, the guy that is supposed to be it....is it, or at least does pretty well:

    1970 Bradshaw

    1971 Plunkett (2 SB wins, though maybe Ken Anderson was better overall)

    1983 Elway

    1989 Aikman

    1998 Peyton

    and etc.

    Gipper,

    That's why I think this is a great thread. I have read SO many times that "We have to get our franchise QB THIS year" that I could barf! There may not be a franchise QB IN this draft. We'll know what the Pros think on May 8th.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @canton-mike said:

    Gipper,

    That's why I think this is a great thread. I have read SO many times that "We have to get our franchise QB THIS year" that I could barf! There may not be a franchise QB IN this draft. We'll know what the Pros think on May 8th.

    Mike

    Or, like I pointed out....the guy that turns out to be the franchise guy ain't the one or ones people think it will be....Brett Favre/Brady/Montana etc.

  • G GuNNerGatSKi wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Awesome thread Gip love your research (question: how much time DO you spend researching these informative threads you post on a regular basis?)

    I think '83 is easily the beat QB DRAFT in history. I mean cmon, Elway, Marino, AND J. Kelly? Fucking stacked...

  • Awesome thread Gip love your research (question: how much time DO you spend researching these informative threads you post on a regular basis?)

    I think '83 is easily the beat QB DRAFT in history. I mean cmon, Elway, Marino, AND J. Kelly? Fucking stacked...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #12

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Awesome thread Gip love your research (question: how much time DO you spend researching these informative threads you post on a regular basis?)

    I think '83 is easily the beat QB DRAFT in history. I mean cmon, Elway, Marino, AND J. Kelly? Fucking stacked...

    It would take a lot less time if I didn't have to wait for PFR and other sites to download their fucking ads every time I want to make a click. The raw data is there and could be had in a nanosecond probably. It is the flash ads that suck and take so much time.

    And 83 probably was certainly the best year. Three Hall of Famers. But, like I said, 1971 was deep also.

    2004 was good. 2012 may be very good.....even discounting Brandon Weeden. (Luck/RG/Tannehill/Wilson/Foles.....how come the Browns got the only dog of the bunch? Just our luck.)

  • GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Awesome thread Gip love your research (question: how much time DO you spend researching these informative threads you post on a regular basis?)

    I think '83 is easily the beat QB DRAFT in history. I mean cmon, Elway, Marino, AND J. Kelly? Fucking stacked...

    It would take a lot less time if I didn't have to wait for PFR and other sites to download their fucking ads every time I want to make a click. The raw data is there and could be had in a nanosecond probably. It is the flash ads that suck and take so much time.

    And 83 probably was certainly the best year. Three Hall of Famers. But, like I said, 1971 was deep also.

    2004 was good. 2012 may be very good.....even discounting Brandon Weeden. (Luck/RG/Tannehill/Wilson/Foles.....how come the Browns got the only dog of the bunch? Just our luck.)

    G GuNNerGatSKi wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    It would take a lot less time if I didn't have to wait for PFR and other sites to download their fucking ads every time I want to make a click. The raw data is there and could be had in a nanosecond probably. It is the flash ads that suck and take so much time.

    And 83 probably was certainly the best year. Three Hall of Famers. But, like I said, 1971 was deep also.

    2004 was good. 2012 may be very good.....even discounting Brandon Weeden. (Luck/RG/Tannehill/Wilson/Foles.....how come the Browns got the only dog of the bunch? Just our luck.)

    Oh I agree flash ads are a nightmare. I was going to school for computer info. Systems some time ago (before I knocked up the old lady and became a father and gave up my education to make money NOW in the oilfield) and we did a little project for a networking class where we had to examine the effects ads on websites had on network and browser loading speeds. Very interesting that without the onslaught of ads polluting most websites, the internet would by far run much smoother and much faster. But when your browser has to load a gazillion different scripts and languages in order to display one web page (flash, java, html, etc etc) it results in the aformentioned increase in loading time that you are referring to. The more protocols and scripts/languages a web browser has to juggle obviously leads to a less enjoyable interwebs experience..... But I digress.

    I agree that 2012 is most definitely looking like a home run for drafted QBs. Well have to wait and see, but I can imagine at least two HOFers from that class. And I readlly don't know how we managed to pick the fucking doozie dud jackass out of that group..... It's baffling. Our luck drafting QBs has to turn around sometime..... I just hope Farmer and Pettine can get it right because so far I really like both of them. I love how they are running this organization in such a low key, hush hush, professional manner and are not afraid to make big decisions and pull the trigger without hesitation. In Farmer we trust (i guess?).