Leigh Bodden
-
Bodden can play.............in a system dedicate to winning and using skill players wisely
I disagree Rich.....I am 260 lbs and can cover as well as that guy.
Tell me the difference between getting punked by 4 yards like he would and getting punked by 20 yards like I would, other than I would do it for a lot less money?
Bodden isn't a good CB.
I disagree Rich.....I am 260 lbs and can cover as well as that guy.
Tell me the difference between getting punked by 4 yards like he would and getting punked by 20 yards like I would, other than I would do it for a lot less money?
Bodden isn't a good CB.
We agree to disagree. I have not seen anything on our roster who is better. And like X said he was convering number one receivers when he was here. Personally, i would consider making him a free safety using his ball hawking skills. The best db's here in the last five years have been Bodden and Henry both dumped!
We need to focus the draft of Offense, defense next year. So Bodden could be a nice FA grab.
I am a 109lb weakling and I can hit harder than Andra Davis
-
this article about Bodden may shed some light on the subject:
Leigh Bodden headed out; the Lions are to blame
by Tom Kowalski | Opinion
Wednesday February 04, 2009, 5:30 PM
AP File PhotoDetroit Lions cornerback Leigh Bodden was acquired in the trade that sent Shaun Rogers to the Cleveland Browns.
There are going to be a lot of reasons given as to why the Detroit Lions informed cornerback Leigh Bodden that he won't be back with the team next year, as reported by The Detroit News today.
There will be the roster bonus (which was huge), his performance (which was mediocre) and his postseason comments (which were the final nail in the coffin).
All of these are legitimate reasons why Bodden won't return, but the real blame for this failure belongs squarely on the shoulders of the Lions.
Bodden was acquired in the trade that sent Shaun Rogers to the Cleveland Browns and it appeared to be a great deal at the time. In addition to a draft pick, the Lions were beefing up their thin secondary with an up-and-coming player such as Bodden.
Former coach Rod Marinelli and defensive coordinator Joe Barry, though, completely mishandled the situation.
Bodden is a brash and confident young player who thrives on success, but the Lions messed with his head from the very beginning.
Marinelli's custom of having new players "earn'' starting positions was ridiculous -- and that's been pointed out many times in this blog. It was especially foolish in the case of Bodden, who was a three-year starter with the Browns and had six interceptions the previous season.
Still, Bodden was delegated as a No. 2 cornerback behind Travis Fisher for the entire training camp and preseason. It was embarrassing to Bodden.
The Lions plunged the dagger in even deeper when they made Fisher the starter for the season opener in Atlanta. Bodden quickly entered the game when Fisher gave up some big plays, but the damage was done.
During the season, the Lions -- after making an even bigger mistake by signing Brian Kelly -- switched Bodden over to Kelly's spot on the left side of the defense. It's a move that Bodden resisted, but the Lions didn't want to hear about it.
Now, you can't have players running the locker room and while the coaches have to be the ultimate authority, there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with young players and their egos.
There never was a discussion with Bodden about why or any attempt to appease his feelings. Bodden didn't feel as comfortable on the left side but the Lions didn't care. Bodden came into Detroit with a lot of promise and he was treated like a second-class citizen every step of the way and his performance reflected it.
Bodden is due an $8.6 million roster bonus on Feb. 27 and that's one of the reasons he will be cut loose. The Lions can't officially make the move until Monday.
The biggest reason for Bodden's departure, though, is because he's damaged goods.
He was a player who might have been able to help turn the team around but he was so disgusted that after the team ended its 0-16 season, Bodden said this about his future: "I want to play football. I don't care where I'm at.''
Sounds to me he is healthy and ready to go...and that the Lions pulled a move typical of the Browns.
-
Bodden was always injured. I use to like the kid, but I think some of you are forgetting how often this guy was on the injury list.
I think we need to look at CB's for their tackling skills and toughness as much as their cover skills. Coverage is more about scheme, tackling of the individual.
Find me the next Antonio Winfield.
-
Bodden was always injured. I use to like the kid, but I think some of you are forgetting how often this guy was on the injury list.
I think we need to look at CB's for their tackling skills and toughness as much as their cover skills. Coverage is more about scheme, tackling of the individual.
Find me the next Antonio Winfield.
Bodden was always injured. I use to like the kid, but I think some of you are forgetting how often this guy was on the injury list.
I think we need to look at CB's for their tackling skills and toughness as much as their cover skills. Coverage is more about scheme, tackling of the individual.
Find me the next Antonio Winfield.
Me, nor anybody is going to find you the next Winfield, it's not possible. Dude is one of a kind and one of the greatest tacklers in the history of the game.
I think some of you are forgetting that we're not talking about Bodden being the number one guy and playing every snap. More like giving us that good veteran that we have so lacked the last three years to stabilize the secondary and mentor the kids. We all heard how much of a coach on the field Cousin was but the guy made Ralph Brown look like Minniefield.
Bodden was also pretty solid playing the run.
-
The key to a good defense is the ability to ROTATE players to keep them fresh. We have ZERO players that I feel comfortable rotating in at the CB/S positions.
I agree that Bodden is likely not going to be coming in here and being a shut down CB...but then again we are mainly playing zone schemes anyway..so we don't need that. What we need is a third CB (and Holley is a FA as well as coming off an injury) that we can rely on to rotate in.
Bodden could be that guy. He could also be the slot guy in nickle packages...freeing up Adams to be the rotate guy for the S position.
Basically, he is giving us depth in 2 positions with one person.
-
Adams played great in Sean Jones absence early on last season. I can't figure out what the hell happened after Jones came back though ... we were horrible as the season progressed. We should have never rushed Jones back, he was down-right bad (Percy Ellsworth bad). I think Adams ended up getting banged up too. Cousins was a chaser and completely out of position.
Mel Tucker just shit the bed last season with how badly that group played.
-
The key to a good defense is the ability to ROTATE players to keep them fresh. We have ZERO players that I feel comfortable rotating in at the CB/S positions.
I agree that Bodden is likely not going to be coming in here and being a shut down CB...but then again we are mainly playing zone schemes anyway..so we don't need that. What we need is a third CB (and Holley is a FA as well as coming off an injury) that we can rely on to rotate in.
Bodden could be that guy. He could also be the slot guy in nickle packages...freeing up Adams to be the rotate guy for the S position.
Basically, he is giving us depth in 2 positions with one person.
The key to a good defense is the ability to ROTATE players to keep them fresh. We have ZERO players that I feel comfortable rotating in at the CB/S positions.
I agree that Bodden is likely not going to be coming in here and being a shut down CB...but then again we are mainly playing zone schemes anyway..so we don't need that. What we need is a third CB (and Holley is a FA as well as coming off an injury) that we can rely on to rotate in.
Bodden could be that guy. He could also be the slot guy in nickle packages...freeing up Adams to be the rotate guy for the S position.
Basically, he is giving us depth in 2 positions with one person.
Exactly.
When we had to play Mike Adams at slot it really was and indictment as to how bad our corners sucked after Bmac and Wright. When Bodden was here he generally was on the other team's best receiver. He would be able to thrive in a role where he wasn't expected to be the number one corner and could rotate in and out and stay fresh. Being fresh would also allow him to make more plays on the ball when he's in there and take advantage of his nose for the ball.
Bodden is not an old man either, he's 27 and pretty much in his prime.
Oh, and it also means we could have Rogers and Bodden for a third with Bodden making a drastically lower salary. How is this not a winner?
-
Adams played great in Sean Jones absence early on last season. I can't figure out what the hell happened after Jones came back though ... we were horrible as the season progressed. We should have never rushed Jones back, he was down-right bad (Percy Ellsworth bad). I think Adams ended up getting banged up too. Cousins was a chaser and completely out of position.
Mel Tucker just shit the bed last season with how badly that group played.
Adams played great in Sean Jones absence early on last season. I can't figure out what the hell happened after Jones came back though ... we were horrible as the season progressed. We should have never rushed Jones back, he was down-right bad (Percy Ellsworth bad). I think Adams ended up getting banged up too. Cousins was a chaser and completely out of position.
Mel Tucker just shit the bed last season with how badly that group played.
I wouldn't put it all on Tucker, his pedigree to this point has been pretty good.
Grossi said it best, and that is he never would have went into the season with the starting corners being Bmac and Wright with no viable depth or backups. Then you factor in Jones being out, Cousin being a colossal bust and then Jones not playing at a high level until late in the season. It all adds up to a dangerous potion when you have no pass rush and no run support.
Bodden could really solidify this secondary. It allows us to draft a safety if Jones takes off.
-
And guess who picked up Ty Law after we sat complacent with no depth for much too long?
That's right, Mangini and the NY Jets.
(Note: Ty Law turns 35 yrs old next Tuesday)
-
I'm not against bringing in Bodden ... I'm against dumb secondary schemes and sticking with players that suck (see Cousins)
-
And guess who picked up Ty Law after we sat complacent with no depth for much too long?
That's right, Mangini and the NY Jets.
(Note: Ty Law turns 35 yrs old next Tuesday)
-
Masters said:
On the other side of that coin, Ty Law didn't do squat while with the Jets.Law = 35
Bodden = 27
-
If this was last year's office. He would be back in a heartbeat (at a good price). Sadly, he has no one vouching for him here anymore. I still think he can play. He'd be a nice plug that would could let slide come draft time. Since we do have holes at OL, RB, LB, WR, and DL
-
If this was last year's office. He would be back in a heartbeat (at a good price). Sadly, he has no one vouching for him here anymore. I still think he can play. He'd be a nice plug that would could let slide come draft time. Since we do have holes at OL, RB, LB, WR, and DL
If this was last year's office. He would be back in a heartbeat (at a good price). Sadly, he has no one vouching for him here anymore. I still think he can play. He'd be a nice plug that would could let slide come draft time. Since we do have holes at OL, RB, LB, WR, and DL
Keep in mind Kokinis is from within the AFC North...so his teams have played Bodden 6x in the past 4yrs...and also keep in mind he was in charge of FA's ...so it was his job to keep tabs on guys like Bodden as they approached FA. He may have more info on him than we give him credit for.
-
OUCH!!!
Bodden says release decision was mutual
Leigh Bodden - DB - DET - Feb. 6 - 9:07 am et
Leigh Bodden says his forthcoming release was a "mutual decision" between him and the Lions.
"It was just a mutual decision," he said. "From the beginning when I was in Detroit, it just didn't seem like it fit and I think everybody around there knew it." It's never a good fit when you're on the worst team in NFL history. Feb. 6 - 9:07 am et
Again...I see Bodden's struggles in Detroit as a case of square peg in round hole.
-
We have three good one? Who is our third?
I like Wright and McDonald but wonder if Bmac is better suited in the slot.
WPB - Good call. If he is worth a look I'm sure they have seen him enough to know if he is worth it.
-
Zombo said:
Is this really a thread about signing a slot CB that is about to get cut from a 0-16 team?We have three good corners ... so unless someone has a great one ... you can always find a fourth guy.
Zombo
Besides..who exactly is our #3?
Holley? He is coming off an injury and is a FA.
Adams? He is a safety and is a FA
Cousins? Really?
Who is this mythical depth we have?
-
Having our backup S Adams have to play the slot last year was a problem. I think he did an admirable job but he shouldn't be our best option haha. Depending on Holly...we may be looking to get a solid 3rd and 4th CB
That won't come too easily.
-
It is a big leap to assume Holly will be fully recovered from his injury and play at the same level he did before the injury.
Masters said:
It is a big leap to assume Holly will be fully recovered from his injury and play at the same level he did before the injury.It is also a big leap to say that he was ever better than Bodden.
Let's not forget Bodden matched up with the other team's best game in and game out and alsoo played the slot when hurt. Bodden is a player, certainly more than just a 4th corner. This guy had six picks his last year here and had his hands on a few others.
He was also acquitted of the airport bullshit.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login