Skip to content

Justin Gilbert

The Browns Board
101 41 5.6k
  • He's not even the best lock down CB in the draft. He's physical but a shut down corner like Haden is...he's just not. Should have grabbed Watkins, then jumped up to get Johnny, take Evans somehow then get Manziel.

    Just do not like this Gilbert kid.

    @soju said:

    He's not even the best lock down CB in the draft. He's physical but a shut down corner like Haden is...he's just not. Should have grabbed Watkins, then jumped up to get Johnny, take Evans somehow then get Manziel.

    Just do not like this Gilbert kid.

    So you're not going to put the blinders on and say this is an awesome pick like everyone else on this homer board? Every move the Browns make is a smart, strategic move. If you disagree with that, Soju, you're a f* moron.

    I'll be cool with the pick when Gilbert does well on the field. Noone knows how this will pan out, but he def wouldn't have been my first pick and I certainly wouldnt have traded up with Minn when they wouldn't have got him. I'm happy with our 1st round. Need to address WR and OL tonight.

  • Bottom line. Even an excellent defense, which the browns might have if Gilbert lives up to a top ten talent, wears out if your offense goes 3&out EVERY SERIES. The Browns biggest need was an offensive weapon to keep the defense off the field. This was a very deep draft at CB, But again, I'm pumped now! I can't decide if you go with Lee or Xavier at #35......?

    @scdawg82 said:

    Bottom line. Even an excellent defense, which the browns might have if Gilbert lives up to a top ten talent, wears out if your offense goes 3&out EVERY SERIES. The Browns biggest need was an offensive weapon to keep the defense off the field. This was a very deep draft at CB, But again, I'm pumped now! I can't decide if you go with Lee or Xavier at #35......?

    This draft is no where nearly as deep at CB as it is at WR. Cality starting CB are pretty much gone at this point, there are still 4-5 good WR's still on the board. The difference between the 1st wave of WR to the 2nd, compared to the 1st and 2nd wave of CB, is staggeringly different. There are like 1, maybe two, fringe top CB guys left, then the drop off after them is just ridiculous.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    So you're not going to put the blinders on and say this is an awesome pick like everyone else on this homer board? Every move the Browns make is a smart, strategic move. If you disagree with that, Soju, you're a f* moron.

    I'll be cool with the pick when Gilbert does well on the field. Noone knows how this will pan out, but he def wouldn't have been my first pick and I certainly wouldnt have traded up with Minn when they wouldn't have got him. I'm happy with our 1st round. Need to address WR and OL tonight.

    I don't think he is the best CB talent wise who was drafted that will play next season. I think in 3 years he will be the best CB from this draft. That is what you draft for. How good do you project this player to be 2-3 years down the road. Dennard, as it stands now, it most likely the most talented CB to be drafted who will play next season. I expect him to have a better rookie season on defense. However I also don't see him getting much better than what he currently is. I think he is just about maxed out as a player. He is going to be a solid starting CB with a few pro bowls under his belt if he is as good as we think he is right now. Gilbert on the other hand could see much better and be a year to year all pro in a few seasons and I think he can do that.

  • Bottom line. Even an excellent defense, which the browns might have if Gilbert lives up to a top ten talent, wears out if your offense goes 3&out EVERY SERIES. The Browns biggest need was an offensive weapon to keep the defense off the field. This was a very deep draft at CB, But again, I'm pumped now! I can't decide if you go with Lee or Xavier at #35......?

    @scdawg82 said:

    Bottom line. Even an excellent defense, which the browns might have if Gilbert lives up to a top ten talent, wears out if your offense goes 3&out EVERY SERIES. The Browns biggest need was an offensive weapon to keep the defense off the field. This was a very deep draft at CB, But again, I'm pumped now! I can't decide if you go with Lee or Xavier at #35......?

    wrong.

    after the top 3-4 prospects, the CBs fall off to 3rd round talent unlike WRs. everyone says this year's draft was/is so deep. yeah at WR. other than that tell me what position and what 'great' talent there is after the top 5 in any category.

  • I would assume they chose Gilbert ahead of the others because they know what they're doing, namely Pettine, when it comes to CBs. Given the pick of the litter he chose Gilbert. He just so happens to be the guy I wanted as our first pick, but even if he wasn't, there comes a time when you have to put some faith in the person who's qualifications on this matter far outweigh your own.

  • @scdawg82 said:

    Bottom line. Even an excellent defense, which the browns might have if Gilbert lives up to a top ten talent, wears out if your offense goes 3&out EVERY SERIES. The Browns biggest need was an offensive weapon to keep the defense off the field. This was a very deep draft at CB, But again, I'm pumped now! I can't decide if you go with Lee or Xavier at #35......?

    This draft is no where nearly as deep at CB as it is at WR. Cality starting CB are pretty much gone at this point, there are still 4-5 good WR's still on the board. The difference between the 1st wave of WR to the 2nd, compared to the 1st and 2nd wave of CB, is staggeringly different. There are like 1, maybe two, fringe top CB guys left, then the drop off after them is just ridiculous.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    So you're not going to put the blinders on and say this is an awesome pick like everyone else on this homer board? Every move the Browns make is a smart, strategic move. If you disagree with that, Soju, you're a f* moron.

    I'll be cool with the pick when Gilbert does well on the field. Noone knows how this will pan out, but he def wouldn't have been my first pick and I certainly wouldnt have traded up with Minn when they wouldn't have got him. I'm happy with our 1st round. Need to address WR and OL tonight.

    I don't think he is the best CB talent wise who was drafted that will play next season. I think in 3 years he will be the best CB from this draft. That is what you draft for. How good do you project this player to be 2-3 years down the road. Dennard, as it stands now, it most likely the most talented CB to be drafted who will play next season. I expect him to have a better rookie season on defense. However I also don't see him getting much better than what he currently is. I think he is just about maxed out as a player. He is going to be a solid starting CB with a few pro bowls under his belt if he is as good as we think he is right now. Gilbert on the other hand could see much better and be a year to year all pro in a few seasons and I think he can do that.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    This draft is no where nearly as deep at CB as it is at WR. Cality starting CB are pretty much gone at this point, there are still 4-5 good WR's still on the board. The difference between the 1st wave of WR to the 2nd, compared to the 1st and 2nd wave of CB, is staggeringly different. There are like 1, maybe two, fringe top CB guys left, then the drop off after them is just ridiculous.

    I don't think he is the best CB talent wise who was drafted that will play next season. I think in 3 years he will be the best CB from this draft. That is what you draft for. How good do you project this player to be 2-3 years down the road. Dennard, as it stands now, it most likely the most talented CB to be drafted who will play next season. I expect him to have a better rookie season on defense. However I also don't see him getting much better than what he currently is. I think he is just about maxed out as a player. He is going to be a solid starting CB with a few pro bowls under his belt if he is as good as we think he is right now. Gilbert on the other hand could see much better and be a year to year all pro in a few seasons and I think he can do that.

    Fair assessment, opinion. I hope it pans out that way, I truely do. But things usually don't work out the way we envision. He's a solid CB with alot of potential. A fair argument can be made he was a reach at 8th overall, but the fact we walk with the QB we wanted and the #1 and 4 from Buffalo in 2015, I'm happy and think Farmer did a great job.

    Only time will tell, though. We need Gilbert to develop and produce on Hadens level. Anything less will be a dissapointment.

  • I would assume they chose Gilbert ahead of the others because they know what they're doing, namely Pettine, when it comes to CBs. Given the pick of the litter he chose Gilbert. He just so happens to be the guy I wanted as our first pick, but even if he wasn't, there comes a time when you have to put some faith in the person who's qualifications on this matter far outweigh your own.

    @bummie said:

    I would assume they chose Gilbert ahead of the others because they know what they're doing, namely Pettine, when it comes to CBs. Given the pick of the litter he chose Gilbert. He just so happens to be the guy I wanted as our first pick, but even if he wasn't, there comes a time when you have to put some faith in the person who's qualifications on this matter far outweigh your own.

    +100000

  • @scdawg82 said:

    Bottom line. Even an excellent defense, which the browns might have if Gilbert lives up to a top ten talent, wears out if your offense goes 3&out EVERY SERIES. The Browns biggest need was an offensive weapon to keep the defense off the field. This was a very deep draft at CB, But again, I'm pumped now! I can't decide if you go with Lee or Xavier at #35......?

    wrong.

    after the top 3-4 prospects, the CBs fall off to 3rd round talent unlike WRs. everyone says this year's draft was/is so deep. yeah at WR. other than that tell me what position and what 'great' talent there is after the top 5 in any category.

    @miktoxic said:

    wrong.

    after the top 3-4 prospects, the CBs fall off to 3rd round talent unlike WRs. everyone says this year's draft was/is so deep. yeah at WR. other than that tell me what position and what 'great' talent there is after the top 5 in any category.

    I'd only argue there's a much bigger difference between the talent level of the rest of WR And Watkins. Where the is much less a difference between Gilbert and the rest of the CBs. But hey, we got a an extra #1 next year!

  • Joe Haden will be moved to #2 in the next two years.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Joe Haden will be moved to #2 in the next two years.

    Given Haden aging and Gilbert developing I can see this...

    @harry-buffalo said:

    This draft is no where nearly as deep at CB as it is at WR. (Quality) starting CB are pretty much gone at this point, there are still 4-5 good WR's still on the board. The difference between the 1st wave of WR to the 2nd, compared to the 1st and 2nd wave of CB, is staggeringly different. There are like 1, maybe two, fringe top CB guys left, then the drop off after them is just ridiculous.

    Agree...

    WRs being deeper than CBs is pretty much the case every year. We got the best prospect, not the most polished CB.

  • Haden has stopped aging? Holy Shit this new regime is good!

    Agree that TCPO was not necessarily factoring in Haden aging into his post... that was pure me...

    And you are pure assHole*...

    *Note the capital 'H' in your Honor...

  • Soju do you watch football games? If I hear "we shoulda took Sammy" one more time im coming im coming to where you live and carving I ❤ Pittsburgh into your dense forehead.

    First of all, did you notice how no one had to throw at Joe Haden all year and teams were able to torch us even though our front seven were in the QBs face all year?

    We didnt have any LBs that could cover and no other CBs to speak of. Remember when Joe Haden was out with the adderall suspension and we played 10 yards off of receivers and were the joke of the league? We have needed a number 2 corner (arguably a third corner too) FOR YEARS. Not only does Farmer go out and get for sure A TOP 2 CB in the draft, he gets a first round pick out of the deal!

    Secondly, do you watch free agency or do you prefer to be ignorant? National media pundits are raving about how Andrew Hawkins (yeah that one that torched us) is uncoverable (another great signing by this front office). To review our WRs right now are :Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Hawkins, Travis Benjamin. Not to mention we added Ben Tate and have a Pro Bowl TE. Our receiving corps is honestly is better than half the teams in the NFL or better and we should sit on our dicks in the secondary?

    Another WR is about our 5th priority in this draft (after QB, CB, MLB, OG). PLEASE jump off the Browns now if you hate the pick, I beg you. Yesterday was the most defining day in browns history since we got Jim Brown. Mark my words.

    Also, when I have to agree with miktoxic more that once a day I question my entire life. Soju, youre pushing me right now.

  • @mike-h said:

    I wish you weren't so bad.

    And I wish my opinion mattered less to your ever more intolerably pompous ass...

    Had it then you would never have starting made this little disagreement we have personal.

    I enjoyed the differing opinions with you as I do any poster here. I did not relish the work it took to prove you wrong in the instance that started the downhill slide, but you insisted upon it, so I obliged you. Then you couldn't handle the fact that you were proven wrong... I believe "nit-pick" was the term you used... and the personal insults began.

    I tolerated those insults for as long as I could... but even after a break necessitated by RL... you started up again the moment I returned.

    That something so minor as being proven wrong on a web-site is so intolerable to you simply shows how insecure your feeble little mind is.

    So the gloves are off...

    Feel free continue to pretend the jury is in on Manziel, Shazier, etc., etc., and that you have trumped me in every case. I'll wait until there is actually a NFL record upon which to evaluate them and then give credit where earned and heap abuse where warranted.

    The SS Reconciliation has sailed... assHole.

  • The Gilbert pick was brilliant. Fuller may have been a bit more ready to start, but Gilbert

    has the big advantage of elite fluidity and speed. You can't coach that.

    The Browns have given up 3rd down conversions so often, this problem had to be fixed.

    And that, is a dramatic impact to help the Browns win, and the defense to get the ball back.

    Got the attention of every other team in the division with the first pick. Then doubled it

    with the second pick.

    Very cool. Farmer and Pettine know everything they need to know, and have the absolute excellent philosophy

    to building this Browns team, to be making the right decisions.

    And now, I'm gonna get my two Tim Couch jerseys, and have "Manziel" put on em, and I'm good to go !

  • The Gilbert pick was brilliant. Fuller may have been a bit more ready to start, but Gilbert

    has the big advantage of elite fluidity and speed. You can't coach that.

    The Browns have given up 3rd down conversions so often, this problem had to be fixed.

    And that, is a dramatic impact to help the Browns win, and the defense to get the ball back.

    Got the attention of every other team in the division with the first pick. Then doubled it

    with the second pick.

    Very cool. Farmer and Pettine know everything they need to know, and have the absolute excellent philosophy

    to building this Browns team, to be making the right decisions.

    And now, I'm gonna get my two Tim Couch jerseys, and have "Manziel" put on em, and I'm good to go !

    @calfoxwc said:

    The Gilbert pick was brilliant. Fuller may have been a bit more ready to start, but Gilbert

    has the big advantage of elite fluidity and speed. You can't coach that.

    The Browns have given up 3rd down conversions so often, this problem had to be fixed.

    And that, is a dramatic impact to help the Browns win, and the defense to get the ball back.

    Got the attention of every other team in the division with the first pick. Then doubled it

    with the second pick.

    Very cool. Farmer and Pettine know everything they need to know, and have the absolute excellent philosophy

    to building this Browns team, to be making the right decisions.

    And now, I'm gonna get my two Tim Couch jerseys, and have "Manziel" put on em, and I'm good to go !

    Just put 'Johnny Football' on them.

  • @mike-h said:

    Stopped reading at teams didn't throw at Haden. Check the targets again, bruh. Teams threw at him a lot.

    Link? I found stats that Haden is in the Top 10 effeciency, I somehow doubt that Haden got MORE targets than our number 2 CB being Skrine/owens.

    Im not saying he was never thrown at, but I saw us getting gashed far more from teams second or third wideouts on third down.

  • I want a #2 that just says FOOTBALL. Gonna wait till next year and the uni changes though (also gives me a year to see if this is gonna work haha).

  • Man, I cant believe more people are not talking about this kid! I loved the pick and had him firmly in my top 10. If you took QBs off my board he was top 5! We got him and a 1st round pick for number 4. Huge. I said it from the beginning, WR, OT, and a pass rusher were not needs for us, and we were either picking a QB or moving down. Well he pulled both off. Id give Farmer an under the desk handy right now.

  • Man, I cant believe more people are not talking about this kid! I loved the pick and had him firmly in my top 10. If you took QBs off my board he was top 5! We got him and a 1st round pick for number 4. Huge. I said it from the beginning, WR, OT, and a pass rusher were not needs for us, and we were either picking a QB or moving down. Well he pulled both off. Id give Farmer an under the desk handy right now.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Man, I cant believe more people are not talking about this kid! I loved the pick and had him firmly in my top 10. If you took QBs off my board he was top 5! We got him and a 1st round pick for number 4. Huge. I said it from the beginning, WR, OT, and a pass rusher were not needs for us, and we were either picking a QB or moving down. Well he pulled both off. Id give Farmer an under the desk handy right now.

    Unfortunately, JFF has hogged all the talk. This was THE pick. I called it right at the trade down and hoped for a 2014 second rounder in return. What we got was gold. I looked at my buddy and we both agreed that if they took Manziel after that, we could handle it. Gilbert will take the secondary to the next level.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Man, I cant believe more people are not talking about this kid! I loved the pick and had him firmly in my top 10. If you took QBs off my board he was top 5! We got him and a 1st round pick for number 4. Huge. I said it from the beginning, WR, OT, and a pass rusher were not needs for us, and we were either picking a QB or moving down. Well he pulled both off. Id give Farmer an under the desk handy right now.

    Unfortunately, JFF has hogged all the talk. This was THE pick. I called it right at the trade down and hoped for a 2014 second rounder in return. What we got was gold. I looked at my buddy and we both agreed that if they took Manziel after that, we could handle it. Gilbert will take the secondary to the next level.

    @bummie said:

    Unfortunately, JFF has hogged all the talk. This was THE pick. I called it right at the trade down and hoped for a 2014 second rounder in return. What we got was gold. I looked at my buddy and we both agreed that if they took Manziel after that, we could handle it. Gilbert will take the secondary to the next level.

    haha yep. I called it before the draft began though ; )
  • @mike-h said:

    I wish you weren't so bad.

    Oh...the irony.

    I almost feel sorry for you....MBA in journalism (lol....journalism) and you write for a fan rag. Doing well....

    To your earlier post....I'm an engineer. You get paid for opinions on entertainment....a non critical society function...I get paid....well, very well....because I have an intimate understanding of science and help my employer make millions of dollars a year. So yeah.....I guess there's lots of reasons to be jealous of you.

    Totally justified, the size of you head is.

  • @mike-h said:

    I wish you weren't so bad.

    Oh...the irony.

    I almost feel sorry for you....MBA in journalism (lol....journalism) and you write for a fan rag. Doing well....

    To your earlier post....I'm an engineer. You get paid for opinions on entertainment....a non critical society function...I get paid....well, very well....because I have an intimate understanding of science and help my employer make millions of dollars a year. So yeah.....I guess there's lots of reasons to be jealous of you.

    Totally justified, the size of you head is.

    @choco said:

    Oh...the irony.

    I almost feel sorry for you....MBA in journalism (lol....journalism) and you write for a fan rag. Doing well....

    To your earlier post....I'm an engineer. You get paid for opinions on entertainment....a non critical society function...I get paid....well, very well....because I have an intimate understanding of science and help my employer make millions of dollars a year. So yeah.....I guess there's lots of reasons to be jealous of you.

    Totally justified, the size of you head is.

    You're so damn cool.