Skip to content

Browns knew about Gordon an now tanking 2014

The Browns Board
71 33 3.6k
  • Not going to be any tanking with this team. The fan base was just lit up on Thursday night. They're not going to lose that momentum.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @cuwoohio said:

    Not going to be any tanking with this team. The fan base was just lit up on Thursday night. They're not going to lose that momentum.

    Agree on the tanking, but it is very hard to square this draft in light of the Gordon news with the FO's "Win Now" mantra.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    I honestly think we keep... FIVE RB on the roster for the season. Tate and Towsen obviously, Whitiker and Lewis as RB/WR 3rd down players, and then a battle between Baker and Cook. I think Cook, while cut and signed to the practicie squad and team several times last year, projects really well into the ZBS so I give him a slight edge over Baker, even though Baker himself didn't play too bad last year. Don't forget we also still have Obi, who is becoming the forgotten man and even though he has fumbling issues, he is a one cut guy who hits holes fast as well.

    I expect to see alot of two RB sets, even with a FB lined up and most of our passing is done on play action which both Hoyer and Manziel sell very well.

    But I also see us signing one or two veteran WR who can still produce as long as they are not looked at as the end all be all #1. I think, since we knew about Gordon, it would have been smart for the Browns to drop the 4th rounder in the Bills trade and take Stevie Johnson, who is a solid #1 WR when he has a half way decent QB throwing to him. I mean that is basically what he got traded for to the 49er's (5th round pick that can become a 3rd rounder based on production).

    On RBs: I saw a lot more one cut performance out of Baker than any of the other depth RBs on the roster last year. So I pencil him in as my 5th RB behind Tate, Lewis, Ogbo and Towsen.

    PAP: I thought Hoyer excelled at it, but in part that could be due to the contrast with Wheezy. Manziel is above average in the classic drop back ball fake, but if you add in Read-Option faking his evaluation at A&M does rise. However, if not allowed to run off the RO fake, which he should not be, that value is minimized. Plus under the rules a QB carrying out a run fake after handing off the ball is fair game...

    WR: Even for a 4th there's too much prima in Stevie's donna for my taste... I'd pass on that.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Why do you call him Towsen?

  • cvcanedyC cvcanedy wrote on last edited by
    #25

    i think that's where he went to school. Towson University. LOL

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Sammy Watkins

    Xavier Su'a-Filo

    Derek Carr

    Carlos Hyde

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    Honestly, at this point- I would have rather had the Raider's Draft.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #27

    i jumped all over a guy last week for posting something about trading gordon.

    well, i'd like to officially apologize to whoever it was that knew WTF they were talking about.

    i've got no patience for assholes who can't stay in the game because they like smoking trees more than they like dedicating themselves to their craft.

    talent or not, if it was my call i'd shitcan the fucker today.

  • N NaplesBrowns420 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    How is tank mode even possible on May 10th? Do people really think about what they are typing before they post it? I can promise you, the fo is not in tank mode four months before the season starts. Gordon can suck a bag of dicks for all I care, and I don't give a shit about his pot usage. Shit, I probably smoke more than him, so fuck him. He is one player. One. All but four wins in the NFL last year were without Josh Gordon getting the ball. We'll be fine. Tank mode, really?

  • Sammy Watkins

    Xavier Su'a-Filo

    Derek Carr

    Carlos Hyde

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    Honestly, at this point- I would have rather had the Raider's Draft.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @poeticg said:

    Sammy Watkins

    Xavier Su'a-Filo

    Derek Carr

    Carlos Hyde

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    Honestly, at this point- I would have rather had the Raider's Draft.

    you know where the door's at Po.

  • Why do you call him Towsen?

    Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @lbc-mike said:

    Why do you call him Towsen?

    Cause he is Towsen, and Towsen is him. Him and his University are one.

  • @poeticg said:

    Sammy Watkins

    Xavier Su'a-Filo

    Derek Carr

    Carlos Hyde

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    Honestly, at this point- I would have rather had the Raider's Draft.

    you know where the door's at Po.

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @miktoxic said:

    you know where the door's at Po.

    He probably can't find it since he can't see though his belly button.

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #32

    I would never go to the door. Just venting.

    I actually like our draft, or the guys we got.

    Gilbert- Amazing CB

    Manziel- Part QB part God

    Bortonio- Mauler O Lineman

    West- intriguing RB prospect/wonder if he can pull it off after jumping up 5 talent levels though

    Desir- I think would be an amazing FS, at worst better than Gipson

  • Sammy Watkins

    Xavier Su'a-Filo

    Derek Carr

    Carlos Hyde

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    Honestly, at this point- I would have rather had the Raider's Draft.

    Gunz41G Gunz41 wrote on last edited by Gunz41
    #33

    @poeticg said:

    Sammy Watkins

    Xavier Su'a-Filo

    Derek Carr

    Carlos Hyde

    Stanley Jean-Baptiste

    Honestly, at this point- I would have rather had the Raider's Draft.

    Except that the Raiders got Mack and in the 1st not Watkins and didn't get Xavier, but hey they did gt Derek Carr. πŸ™‚ I would much rather have our draft. we took BPA. Desir was a STEAL

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #34

    looking at the draft so far in hindsight sure you can make arguments about we should of picked this guy at that # and this guy there.

    the one thing i'm most proud of being a fan of the browns is the way farmer came out after thursday night and answered questions about the gordon mess and why they didn't pick WR and he said he's not going to let an off the field issue affect or divert from their board and their philosophy concerning this year's draft. that shows me MFing strength dude. like fuck everyone else we're doing it this way, like or not.

  • looking at the draft so far in hindsight sure you can make arguments about we should of picked this guy at that # and this guy there.

    the one thing i'm most proud of being a fan of the browns is the way farmer came out after thursday night and answered questions about the gordon mess and why they didn't pick WR and he said he's not going to let an off the field issue affect or divert from their board and their philosophy concerning this year's draft. that shows me MFing strength dude. like fuck everyone else we're doing it this way, like or not.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @miktoxic said:

    looking at the draft so far in hindsight sure you can make arguments about we should of picked this guy at that # and this guy there.

    the one thing i'm most proud of being a fan of the browns is the way farmer came out after thursday night and answered questions about the gordon mess and why they didn't pick WR and he said he's not going to let an off the field issue affect or divert from their board and their philosophy concerning this year's draft. that shows me MFing strength dude. like fuck everyone else we're doing it this way, like or not.

    Yep. We can address WR in a number of ways. Farmer & Pettine have stayed the course regardless of public & media pressure to hit the panic button. These guys are the REAL DEAL.

    Mike

  • I never said it wasnt a good draft I like all the picks I just dont see how they translate into wins can someone explain that... When u look at the hole of things an the top guys knew what was going on how can u not scratch your head an wonder

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @kingjamesfan05 said:

    I never said it wasnt a good draft I like all the picks I just dont see how they translate into wins can someone explain that... When u look at the hole of things an the top guys knew what was going on how can u not scratch your head an wonder

    Well, in spite of our 4-12 record, we managed to beat Cincy & the Ratbirds. We've been more competitive in the AFC North the last 2 years.

    Our draft (on paper of course) looks like it shored up a seriously leaky defense (3rd & long was awful for our D). We play the AFC & NFC South divisions, plus Oakland & Buffalo. It's not as brutal as last year's schedule IMHO.

  • Why do you call him Towsen?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @lbc-mike said:

    Why do you call him Towsen?

    lol.. sorry... West Towsen

    @gunz41 said:

    Except that the Raiders got Mack and in the 1st not Watkins and didn't get Xavier, but hey they did gt Derek Carr. πŸ™‚

    Beat me to it...

  • A acmikeac wrote on last edited by
    #38

    A better OL gives the qb more time to check off his primary target. Gordon had a great year but there were no guarantees going forward. Who knows maybe Little will step up, this draft was good. One player does not win you games, let's wait and see. I said on another forum the real wildcard is Pettine, the rookie coach has to make it work.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #39

    VesnaKociper said:

    Offense wins. The Browns have no offense........... 4 - 12

    I'm seeing 4-12 right along with you bud. But If offense wins go explain how Denver's super offense laid a super egg in the Super Bowl against a super DEFENSE. πŸ™‚

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #40

    VesnaKociper said:

    Offense wins. The Browns have no offense........... 4 - 12

    Seahawks just won the super bowl with a great D, a small QB, no WRs that are household names, and a kick your ass run game.
  • Because when Gordon posted the most yards in the league last year, we still finished 4-12. I'd venture to say Gordon and Cameron gave us a better set of pass catchers than a lot of teams. Why did we go 4-12...we couldn't rush the ball (OL/RB), we took 49 sacks (OL/QB), and we gave up too many plays on D (ILB/CB). Positions addressed. I saw a plan, poise, and a lack of pacic from a from office faced with expectation from fans to "win now," who after having their draft plans rocked 2 weeks ago by Gordon, stayed true and didn't make rookie mistakes.

    Nuckin FutzN Nuckin Futz wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @bummie said:

    Because when Gordon posted the most yards in the league last year, we still finished 4-12. I'd venture to say Gordon and Cameron gave us a better set of pass catchers than a lot of teams. Why did we go 4-12...we couldn't rush the ball (OL/RB), we took 49 sacks (OL/QB), and we gave up too many plays on D (ILB/CB). Positions addressed. I saw a plan, poise, and a lack of pacic from a from office faced with expectation from fans to "win now," who after having their draft plans rocked 2 weeks ago by Gordon, stayed true and didn't make rookie mistakes.

    Great post Bummie. Totally agree. No panic...stayed the course. That's how the professionals do it.

  • VesnaKociper said:

    Offense wins. The Browns have no offense........... 4 - 12

    I'm seeing 4-12 right along with you bud. But If offense wins go explain how Denver's super offense laid a super egg in the Super Bowl against a super DEFENSE. πŸ™‚

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @hoorta said:

    I'm seeing 4-12 right along with you bud. But If offense wins go explain how Denver's super offense laid a super egg in the Super Bowl against a super DEFENSE. πŸ™‚

    Mhmmm sooo many super defenses win it every year...dead wrong..it happens every few years then everyone goes "look..defenses wins championships" keep telling yourself that..because we both know its not true.