Skip to content

Connor Shaw

The Browns Board
298 60 16.4k
  • Hello from South Carolina. We get little news from Ohio here in S.C. Could someone please inform me as to the progress of Connor Shaw, the free agent QB from U.S.C. (the good USC 😁.)

    All we get is Manzieled to death here. it's almost like there are no other QB's in camp. I wish "Johnny Football" well, but would like to hear about the others also.

    victor1244

  • http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29256

    There's a Shaw thread already with 13 pages, but very little of it is actually about him IIRC.

  • Hello and thank you for the quick reply. I really liked Shaw in college and think he is a quality QB. Why he went undrafted is a mystery to me.

    I think he can beat out Thigpen, (who I happen to like, also from S.C., Coastal Carolina U.)

    Shaw can pass and he can run and he is a very tough, hard nosed player.

    Thanks again, victor1244

  • Hello and thank you for the quick reply. I really liked Shaw in college and think he is a quality QB. Why he went undrafted is a mystery to me.

    I think he can beat out Thigpen, (who I happen to like, also from S.C., Coastal Carolina U.)

    Shaw can pass and he can run and he is a very tough, hard nosed player.

    Thanks again, victor1244

    @victor1244 said:

    Hello and thank you for the quick reply. I really liked Shaw in college and think he is a quality QB. Why he went undrafted is a mystery to me.

    I think he can beat out Thigpen, (who I happen to like, also from S.C., Coastal Carolina U.)

    Shaw can pass and he can run and he is a very tough, hard nosed player.

    Thanks again, victor1244

    He has a weak arm.

  • @victor1244 said:

    Hello and thank you for the quick reply. I really liked Shaw in college and think he is a quality QB. Why he went undrafted is a mystery to me.

    I think he can beat out Thigpen, (who I happen to like, also from S.C., Coastal Carolina U.)

    Shaw can pass and he can run and he is a very tough, hard nosed player.

    Thanks again, victor1244

    He has a weak arm.

    @letsgetthiggywithit said:

    He has a weak arm.

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

  • I think Shaw was taken by us just basically as a 'Manziel Lite' - so if Hoyer and Manziel both get injured the third string QB can run the same system without much modification.

  • Hello SouthernFriedDawg. I'm hoping Conner Shaw does well and makes the team. I agree with you and I think he is a very good player. All of the attributes that you cited should serve him well in the future.

    The best to a former Gamecock and current Brown.

    victor1244

    A knee sprain is not a black mark against anyone.

    Secede: to withdraw formally from an alliance, federation, or association, as from a political union.

    Lunch Pail.

  • @letsgetthiggywithit said:

    He has a weak arm.

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    @d-bone said:

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    lol, stfu you don't know football.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266536-power-ranking-the-arm-strength-of-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs

  • Was I just told that without rulers one would have no rights? Ironically this is correct as rights are simply semantical unicorns that rulers give their sheep to represent a roi worthy of Being enslaved

    The fed doesn't give me freedom of speech simply because it hasn't completely taken it away from me.... Yet.

    The concept of rights is something invented by rulers.

  • @letsgetthiggywithit said:

    He has a weak arm.

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    @d-bone said:

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    Mega man has a cannon for an arm.

  • @victor1244 said:

    Hello and thank you for the quick reply. I really liked Shaw in college and think he is a quality QB. Why he went undrafted is a mystery to me.

    I think he can beat out Thigpen, (who I happen to like, also from S.C., Coastal Carolina U.)

    Shaw can pass and he can run and he is a very tough, hard nosed player.

    Thanks again, victor1244

    He has a weak arm.

    @letsgetthiggywithit said:

    He has a weak arm.

    Thigpen and Shaw have similar arm strength.

  • @d-bone said:

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    Mega man has a cannon for an arm.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Mega man has a cannon for an arm.

    Afraid to ask, who is mega man? I got to assume it's Johnny Scramble.

  • http://media.photobucket.com/user/jcwainc/media/MegaMan2.jpg.html?filters[term]=mega%20man&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

    That was pretty good.

    Old school Nintendo character. He literally had a cannon for an arm. Pretty good game too for it's time.

  • @d-bone said:

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    Mega man has a cannon for an arm.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Mega man has a cannon for an arm.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    http://media.photobucket.com/user/jcwainc/media/MegaMan2.jpg.html?filters[term]=mega%20man&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=2

    That was pretty good.

    Old school Nintendo character. He literally had a cannon for an arm. Pretty good game too for it's time.

    Hahaha!! That is pretty funny. I thought it was another Johnny The Great comparison.

  • Shaw was not my favorite qb at south cackalacka until Spurrier got him to stop that stupid heads first shit and consider throwing the ball, as an option, lol!

    To Shaw's credit, he figured that out.

    Now, as someone who could give a shiny rat's ass about Cleveland, you got an interesting ufa.

    Like many here have said, we'll see.

    Personally, i think you should have traded up for Bortles (kidding), but Shaw is better than Mettenberger or Murray, so you got a good deal.

    Movie references to Tropic Thunder and South Park were appreciated.

    Never go full Retard and consider that Satan as your qb would be on tv kissing Saddam

  • I'll weigh-in with an unbiased opinion (seriously?).

    Born and raised in SC, graduated from USC, been living in TX for a while (grad school, etc.) and I'm a long-time Browns fan (very long story).

    We LOVE Shaw - no kidding, right? He's a team-first guy, never ever will have off-field issues, and he's a coach's son who's spent the last four years up Spurrier's ass as a film room junkie. Having JFF's every move make the news here in TX, I do not get the same impression, to say the least. Ah....but those aren't measurables, so you guys don't care.

    So, let's talk measurables - starting with Shaw's superior numbers at the Combine. The same Combine where he had the sack to throw, unlike JFF. The win-loss record, td-int ratio, etc. all speaks for itself Oh, and here's a REAL big one. Shaw did it behind a very avg line - unlike JFF who did it with 1st Rd tackles protecting him. And let's not forget the jump balls JFF threw up to Mike Jones - those weren't exactly precision passes sometimes. I digress.

    Furthermore, Shaw only really had one QB year in HS, he was a WR prior since his brother (who played at Georgia Tech) was the QB. Point is, though durability is definitely an issue, he's pretty athletic and can run (did I already mention he's faster than JFF?).

    Now, all that said, does he improvise or make plays in the open field the way JFF does - definitely not. But, welcome to the NFL, young John Football, that isn't going to work here anyway.

    Last point - I gathered my opinion from literally watching every game snap Shaw has taken and many, many of the same from Manziel. If you are basing your opinion off Mayock, Kiper, and McShay you're being terribly short-sighted.

    May the best man win (which is Hoyer, in my opinion at this point). Go Browns!

    @gamecock-frog said:

    I'll weigh-in with an unbiased opinion (seriously?).

    Born and raised in SC, graduated from USC, been living in TX for a while (grad school, etc.) and I'm a long-time Browns fan (very long story).

    We LOVE Shaw - no kidding, right? He's a team-first guy, never ever will have off-field issues, and he's a coach's son who's spent the last four years up Spurrier's ass as a film room junkie. Having JFF's every move make the news here in TX, I do not get the same impression, to say the least. Ah....but those aren't measurables, so you guys don't care.

    So, let's talk measurables - starting with Shaw's superior numbers at the Combine. The same Combine where he had the sack to throw, unlike JFF. The win-loss record, td-int ratio, etc. all speaks for itself Oh, and here's a REAL big one. Shaw did it behind a very avg line - unlike JFF who did it with 1st Rd tackles protecting him. And let's not forget the jump balls JFF threw up to Mike Jones - those weren't exactly precision passes sometimes. I digress.

    Furthermore, Shaw only really had one QB year in HS, he was a WR prior since his brother (who played at Georgia Tech) was the QB. Point is, though durability is definitely an issue, he's pretty athletic and can run (did I already mention he's faster than JFF?).

    Now, all that said, does he improvise or make plays in the open field the way JFF does - definitely not. But, welcome to the NFL, young John Football, that isn't going to work here anyway.

    Last point - I gathered my opinion from literally watching every game snap Shaw has taken and many, many of the same from Manziel. If you are basing your opinion off Mayock, Kiper, and McShay you're being terribly short-sighted.

    May the best man win (which is Hoyer, in my opinion at this point). Go Browns!

  • @letsgetthiggywithit said:

    He has a weak arm.

    So does Drew Brees. Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm. Point made.

    @d-bone said:

    Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm.

    Stronger arm: DA or Wheezy?

  • @d-bone said:

    Derek Anderson has a cannon for an arm.

    Stronger arm: DA or Wheezy?

    @tour2ma said:

    Stronger arm: DA or Wheezy?

    DA on frontward facing throws, Wheezy on backhand tosses.

  • Page 14 and mostly about social issues surrounding Texas...

    Someone even linked SEC record books to make a point about JFootball. Relevant, right?

    CShaw career in SEC:

    #5 completion % http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

    #7 rating http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/pass-rating-player-career.html

    #7 yards/attempt http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/sec/leaders/adj-pass-yds-per-att-player-career.html

    #18 in total TDs.

    Manziel had better numbers but those acquainted with SEC football understand the scheme and program differences. That is not to say Shaw is better - JF was the best qb in college the past two years.

    Going to be interesting to see how the browns make these 3-4 qbs work for the coming season.

  • Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 1h

    #browns undrafted free agent rookie I've been most impressed with:

    former SC quarterback Connor Shaw. Nice offseason.