Big reach......
-
Without a doubt it was Mike Junkin in '87 & they traded Chip Banks, their own 1st rounder (#24) & their 2nd rounder to get that stiff with the 5th overall pick!!!!
That was a Marty call! I'll never forget that dumbass trade.
Mike
-
Janokawski: raiders first round kicker
-
Without a doubt it was Mike Junkin in '87 & they traded Chip Banks, their own 1st rounder (#24) & their 2nd rounder to get that stiff with the 5th overall pick!!!!
That was a Marty call! I'll never forget that dumbass trade.
Mike
Without a doubt it was Mike Junkin in '87 & they traded Chip Banks, their own 1st rounder (#24) & their 2nd rounder to get that stiff with the 5th overall pick!!!!
That was a Marty call! I'll never forget that dumbass trade.
Mike
That has to be the worst. Though you can't really consider it a "reach" trading Paul Warfield + our first rounder for Mike Phipps was pretty bad. I'll put that one #2 on the list.
We-done would have lasted till the second round (at least) so I'll vote that as the second worst reach. Nothing tops the Junkin fiasco.
-
How about this talented guy. David Veikune, drafted 2nd round.
-
Ted Ginn. Then they said they couldn't wait to use him as a returner... lol
Heyward-Bay, Oak
Mike Mitchell, Oak too
Ted Ginn. Then they said they couldn't wait to use him as a returner... lol
Heyward-Bay, Oak
Mike Mitchell, Oak too
Ted Ginn I agree. Heyward bey has shown flashes and it may just take the right system. You however are insanely wrong on mike Mitchell. He was the backbone of that defense in Carolina. Hit their boards about his departure. The steelers don't sign bigger free agents and they came out on day on and gave him 5 million per...he's more of a ballhawk than Ryan Clark and faster. Cut from exactly the same cloth. How exactly did you come to that conclusion anyway? Just figured he's a Steeler now..gotta be a bust lol. Oakland gave up on him too soon.
-
Oh. many might know know who this is. This was when I was pretty young, but I'm a big OSU fan, and I was shocked when this dude went so high cause I wasnt impressed with him on the field. Lorenzo Styles was the dude breakin everybody off for OSU that year, but because Powell went and ran (I think a 4.6) at the combine, he became a 1st rounder.
Craig Powell. LB OSU
-
How about this talented guy. David Veikune, drafted 2nd round.
How about this talented guy. David Veikune, drafted 2nd round.
from Hawaii right?
-
With all the measuring systms in the NFL, why hasn't somebody designed a draft-scoring points system. At the end of a season, the team should be scored based on the round selected, the number of games/plays participated/started etc. for the last 5 drafts, including NDFA's. Anyone know of something like this?
-
With all the measuring systms in the NFL, why hasn't somebody designed a draft-scoring points system. At the end of a season, the team should be scored based on the round selected, the number of games/plays participated/started etc. for the last 5 drafts, including NDFA's. Anyone know of something like this?
With all the measuring systms in the NFL, why hasn't somebody designed a draft-scoring points system. At the end of a season, the team should be scored based on the round selected, the number of games/plays participated/started etc. for the last 5 drafts, including NDFA's. Anyone know of something like this?
I am sure every team has a report card. The stupid analysts have one but that is worth as much as Ice to an eskimo.
-
How about this talented guy. David Veikune, drafted 2nd round.
How about this talented guy. David Veikune, drafted 2nd round.
The exact guy that came to mind when this thread popped up. Not only (by reports) could he have been had much much later, we we're converting him to an inside linebacker. That may not have been so bad, but if I remember correctly, the dude played DT in college. Pretty drastic transaction to make there.
-
Ted Ginn. Then they said they couldn't wait to use him as a returner... lol
Heyward-Bay, Oak
Mike Mitchell, Oak too
Ted Ginn I agree. Heyward bey has shown flashes and it may just take the right system. You however are insanely wrong on mike Mitchell. He was the backbone of that defense in Carolina. Hit their boards about his departure. The steelers don't sign bigger free agents and they came out on day on and gave him 5 million per...he's more of a ballhawk than Ryan Clark and faster. Cut from exactly the same cloth. How exactly did you come to that conclusion anyway? Just figured he's a Steeler now..gotta be a bust lol. Oakland gave up on him too soon.
Ted Ginn I agree. Heyward bey has shown flashes and it may just take the right system. You however are insanely wrong on mike Mitchell. He was the backbone of that defense in Carolina. Hit their boards about his departure. The steelers don't sign bigger free agents and they came out on day on and gave him 5 million per...he's more of a ballhawk than Ryan Clark and faster. Cut from exactly the same cloth. How exactly did you come to that conclusion anyway? Just figured he's a Steeler now..gotta be a bust lol. Oakland gave up on him too soon.
I wonder if he meant Mack Mitchell, not Mike Mitchell. Mack Mitchell was a DL taken by the Browns...I think in Round 1, sometime in the 70s. Major bust.
-
Ted Ginn. Then they said they couldn't wait to use him as a returner... lol
Heyward-Bay, Oak
Mike Mitchell, Oak too
Ted Ginn I agree. Heyward bey has shown flashes and it may just take the right system. You however are insanely wrong on mike Mitchell. He was the backbone of that defense in Carolina. Hit their boards about his departure. The steelers don't sign bigger free agents and they came out on day on and gave him 5 million per...he's more of a ballhawk than Ryan Clark and faster. Cut from exactly the same cloth. How exactly did you come to that conclusion anyway? Just figured he's a Steeler now..gotta be a bust lol. Oakland gave up on him too soon.
Ted Ginn I agree. Heyward bey has shown flashes and it may just take the right system. You however are insanely wrong on mike Mitchell. He was the backbone of that defense in Carolina. Hit their boards about his departure. The steelers don't sign bigger free agents and they came out on day on and gave him 5 million per...he's more of a ballhawk than Ryan Clark and faster. Cut from exactly the same cloth. How exactly did you come to that conclusion anyway? Just figured he's a Steeler now..gotta be a bust lol. Oakland gave up on him too soon.
I missed the part in the OP where they also performed poorly on the field.
I was just listing guys that made me think "Wtf are they doing" when they were drafted
My bad
-
Danny Watkins 1st round pick for the Eagles in 2011! He was almost as old as Brandie!!
-
Vernon Gholston was a bust but the pick at the time made sense. Combine monster
-
Vernon Gholston was a bust but the pick at the time made sense. Combine monster
I think there is a difference between a bust and a reach.
A bust is a guy that everyone thinks will be good...but fails. Gholston is a bust, but he was drafted about where people thought he should be....just everyone was wrong about him. (Just like Leaf, Russell etc.....guys everyone had evaluated well who didn't turn out so good).
A reach is a guy that was overdrafted.....where no one really had that player ranked nearly as high as he was taken. Chaun Thompson, Veikune, guys like that who were rated low but drafted high.
The one guy the Browns took this year that many believe may have been a reach was Christian Kerksey. Rated about 150-180, drafted at #71.
Contrariwise there is The Steal. A guy drafted really low (or undrafted) who becomes really good. We hope Desir is that guy.
So...Okay , let's take it there
Who is the biggest Steal in a draft?
Aytahba Rubin....6th rounder, most recently
Tashaun Gipson...UDFA....he is improving all the time.
Tom Brady....obviously
Brian Sipe....13th round
Others?
-
Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.
What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?
Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor
-
Notable Steals in history:
Raymond Berry #232
Bart Starr #200
Deacon Jones #186
George Blanda #119
Roger Staubach #129
John Unitas #102
Leroy Kelley #110
Shannon Sharpe #192
Mike Webster #125
Steve Largent #117
Joe Montana #82
Dick Night Train Lane UDFA
Willie Brown UDFA
Willie Wood UDFA
Warren Moon UDFA via Canada
John Randle UDFA
-
Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.
What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?
Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor
Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.
What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?
Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor
I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login