Skip to content

Big reach......

The Browns Board
44 20 2.0k
  • Danny Watkins 1st round pick for the Eagles in 2011! He was almost as old as Brandie!!

  • Vernon Gholston was a bust but the pick at the time made sense. Combine monster

  • Vernon Gholston was a bust but the pick at the time made sense. Combine monster

    @mld-woody said:

    Vernon Gholston was a bust but the pick at the time made sense. Combine monster

    I think there is a difference between a bust and a reach.

    A bust is a guy that everyone thinks will be good...but fails. Gholston is a bust, but he was drafted about where people thought he should be....just everyone was wrong about him. (Just like Leaf, Russell etc.....guys everyone had evaluated well who didn't turn out so good).

    A reach is a guy that was overdrafted.....where no one really had that player ranked nearly as high as he was taken. Chaun Thompson, Veikune, guys like that who were rated low but drafted high.

    The one guy the Browns took this year that many believe may have been a reach was Christian Kerksey. Rated about 150-180, drafted at #71.

    Contrariwise there is The Steal. A guy drafted really low (or undrafted) who becomes really good. We hope Desir is that guy.

    So...Okay , let's take it there

    Who is the biggest Steal in a draft?

    Aytahba Rubin....6th rounder, most recently

    Tashaun Gipson...UDFA....he is improving all the time.

    Tom Brady....obviously

    Brian Sipe....13th round

    Others?

  • Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

  • Notable Steals in history:

    Raymond Berry #232

    Bart Starr #200

    Deacon Jones #186

    George Blanda #119

    Roger Staubach #129

    John Unitas #102

    Leroy Kelley #110

    Shannon Sharpe #192

    Mike Webster #125

    Steve Largent #117

    Joe Montana #82

    Dick Night Train Lane UDFA

    Willie Brown UDFA

    Willie Wood UDFA

    Warren Moon UDFA via Canada

    John Randle UDFA

  • Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

  • I am going to go with a reach that has been a pleasnt surprise for us. Mr John Huges. He has been a very good D lineman since he has came out of Cincy. He thought that he wasnt going to get drafted but we took him in the 3rd.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    Im wondering if reach is a label put on them during their placement among the scouts. Like if Clowney is rated at 99 and I was rated at 50, and I played as good as Clowney but I was taken in the 3. i would have been considered a reach at that time beig rated so low.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    I agree with you. I also agree Heyward-Bey (sp) might be the biggest reach I can think of but the whole Al Davis doing the drafting thing negates it a bit in my book.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    Well you are wrong.

  • Any first round QB from the Cam Newton draft not called Cam Newton? Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, all massive reaches, surely?

  • @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    Well you are wrong.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Well you are wrong.

    Then please sir, define what you think a "reach" is.

    If a player is projected to go in the 6th, and is taken in the 2nd, but then goes on to play as well as a 2nd rounder should, what is he? I still say, when he was drafted, he was a reach

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Well you are wrong.

    Then please sir, define what you think a "reach" is.

    If a player is projected to go in the 6th, and is taken in the 2nd, but then goes on to play as well as a 2nd rounder should, what is he? I still say, when he was drafted, he was a reach

    @mld-woody said:

    Then please sir, define what you think a "reach" is.

    If a player is projected to go in the 6th, and is taken in the 2nd, but then goes on to play as well as a 2nd rounder should, what is he? I still say, when he was drafted, he was a reach

    Bad evaluation by the people projecting - Mel Kiper etc.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    Fair enough....though the team that draft what experts think is a reach might disagree.

  • Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

  • Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    @the-gipper said:

    Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    crazy none of them panned out. Also, how about that Travis Wilson in the 3rd, wth. we have no WR luck.

  • Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    @the-gipper said:

    Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    They both sucked, but I think they were both projected around the 2nd in the draft.

  • I am going to go with a reach that has been a pleasnt surprise for us. Mr John Huges. He has been a very good D lineman since he has came out of Cincy. He thought that he wasnt going to get drafted but we took him in the 3rd.

    @cambridgeho said:

    I am going to go with a reach that has been a pleasnt surprise for us. Mr John Huges. He has been a very good D lineman since he has came out of Cincy. He thought that he wasnt going to get drafted but we took him in the 3rd.

    Hughes was another of the paranoid picks of 2012. Yet in the same draft we had a steal in the person of our 2nd 6th Round pick, Billy Winn.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    I think performance is a factor. Maybe not to the extent I was letting it be in my mentioning TR, but it can validate either the organization's or the "expert's" judgment.

  • Many of the players mentioned didn (or haven't yet) done much, but many were considered to be 1st round talents. Not such big reaches.

    I'll stick with Junkin...he was rated as no better than a 2nd round talent, yet Marty traded our #24 1st rounder, our 2nd rounder, AND All Pro LB Chip Banks to draft the guy with the 5th overall pick in the entire draft!!!. We probably could have gotten Junkin with our 2nd rounder. Now, THAT is a reach.

    Just for information sake, he played in just 20 NFL games.

    Mike