Skip to content

Big reach......

The Browns Board
44 20 2.0k
  • Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

  • I am going to go with a reach that has been a pleasnt surprise for us. Mr John Huges. He has been a very good D lineman since he has came out of Cincy. He thought that he wasnt going to get drafted but we took him in the 3rd.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    Im wondering if reach is a label put on them during their placement among the scouts. Like if Clowney is rated at 99 and I was rated at 50, and I played as good as Clowney but I was taken in the 3. i would have been considered a reach at that time beig rated so low.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Yeah, I get that. It just seemed like we started to mention busts.

    What about a reach that ended up playing well? That is why I mentioned Mitchell at safety earlier. Is the only classification still a reach?

    Reach that plays well vs reach that plays poor

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    I agree with you. I also agree Heyward-Bey (sp) might be the biggest reach I can think of but the whole Al Davis doing the drafting thing negates it a bit in my book.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    Well you are wrong.

  • Any first round QB from the Cam Newton draft not called Cam Newton? Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, all massive reaches, surely?

  • @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    Well you are wrong.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Well you are wrong.

    Then please sir, define what you think a "reach" is.

    If a player is projected to go in the 6th, and is taken in the 2nd, but then goes on to play as well as a 2nd rounder should, what is he? I still say, when he was drafted, he was a reach

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Well you are wrong.

    Then please sir, define what you think a "reach" is.

    If a player is projected to go in the 6th, and is taken in the 2nd, but then goes on to play as well as a 2nd rounder should, what is he? I still say, when he was drafted, he was a reach

    @mld-woody said:

    Then please sir, define what you think a "reach" is.

    If a player is projected to go in the 6th, and is taken in the 2nd, but then goes on to play as well as a 2nd rounder should, what is he? I still say, when he was drafted, he was a reach

    Bad evaluation by the people projecting - Mel Kiper etc.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think, by definition that if a "reach" plays well, ergo, he was not a reach.

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    Fair enough....though the team that draft what experts think is a reach might disagree.

  • Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

  • Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    @the-gipper said:

    Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    crazy none of them panned out. Also, how about that Travis Wilson in the 3rd, wth. we have no WR luck.

  • Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    @the-gipper said:

    Other Browns reaches: Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi......or just about any WR taken by the Browns in Round 2 the last 15 years.

    They both sucked, but I think they were both projected around the 2nd in the draft.

  • I am going to go with a reach that has been a pleasnt surprise for us. Mr John Huges. He has been a very good D lineman since he has came out of Cincy. He thought that he wasnt going to get drafted but we took him in the 3rd.

    @cambridgeho said:

    I am going to go with a reach that has been a pleasnt surprise for us. Mr John Huges. He has been a very good D lineman since he has came out of Cincy. He thought that he wasnt going to get drafted but we took him in the 3rd.

    Hughes was another of the paranoid picks of 2012. Yet in the same draft we had a steal in the person of our 2nd 6th Round pick, Billy Winn.

    @mld-woody said:

    I would consider a "reach" any player that gets drafted earlier than experts think they will.

    How they perform from that point out has nothing to do with the "reach" title.

    I think performance is a factor. Maybe not to the extent I was letting it be in my mentioning TR, but it can validate either the organization's or the "expert's" judgment.

  • Many of the players mentioned didn (or haven't yet) done much, but many were considered to be 1st round talents. Not such big reaches.

    I'll stick with Junkin...he was rated as no better than a 2nd round talent, yet Marty traded our #24 1st rounder, our 2nd rounder, AND All Pro LB Chip Banks to draft the guy with the 5th overall pick in the entire draft!!!. We probably could have gotten Junkin with our 2nd rounder. Now, THAT is a reach.

    Just for information sake, he played in just 20 NFL games.

    Mike

  • Many of the players mentioned didn (or haven't yet) done much, but many were considered to be 1st round talents. Not such big reaches.

    I'll stick with Junkin...he was rated as no better than a 2nd round talent, yet Marty traded our #24 1st rounder, our 2nd rounder, AND All Pro LB Chip Banks to draft the guy with the 5th overall pick in the entire draft!!!. We probably could have gotten Junkin with our 2nd rounder. Now, THAT is a reach.

    Just for information sake, he played in just 20 NFL games.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Many of the players mentioned didn (or haven't yet) done much, but many were considered to be 1st round talents. Not such big reaches.

    I'll stick with Junkin...he was rated as no better than a 2nd round talent, yet Marty traded our #24 1st rounder, our 2nd rounder, AND All Pro LB Chip Banks to draft the guy with the 5th overall pick in the entire draft!!!. We probably could have gotten Junkin with our 2nd rounder. Now, THAT is a reach.

    Just for information sake, he played in just 20 NFL games.

    Mike

    Why Schottenheimer was so enamored with him, we wil never no. Even the scout that dubbed him the "mad dog in a meat market" thought he was a second rounder:

    Junkin was selected with the fifth overall pick in the 1987 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns. To acquire him, the Browns traded Chip Banks along with their first and second-round picks to the San Diego Chargers for their first and second-round picks.[12] In regards to the selection, head coach Marty Schottenheimer stated that scout Dom Anile had watched him play, and compared his playing style to "a mad dog in a meat market."[13] However, Anile saw him as a second-round talent despite the quote, and felt he was not worth the fifth overall selection, but Schottenheimer overruled his scouts and selected Junkin with that pick.[2]

    Entering the 1987 Cleveland Browns season, Junkin was projected to be the starting outside linebacker opposite Clay Matthews, Jr. despite playing inside linebacker in college, which generated criticism around the league as a transition that would be difficult for him to make.[14] After a 16-day holdout, the Browns and Junkin agreed to a four-year deal worth nearly two million dollars.[15] After missing the first preseason game against the St. Louis Cardinals, he made his debut against the New York Giants. In that game, he played the second half and failed to record a tackle.[16] By the end of training camp, due to struggles learning the outside linebacker position, he made the roster, but lost the starting job to Anthony Griggs.[17] After the Browns moved to a 4-3 defense for the second game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Junkin made his debut, and the plan was for him to gradually see more playing time each week.[18] In early November, due to a combination of a players' strike and an injured wrist, Junkin was placed on the injured reserve list and replaced on the active roster by David Grayson.[19]

    Due to a combination of the Browns drafting Clifford Charlton and Junkin's desire to move back inside, the Browns planned to move him back to inside linebacker for the 1988 Cleveland Browns season.[20] He spent training camp competing with Eddie Johnson for the second inside linebacker position alongside Mike Johnson, and by the end of preseason play, Junkin had won the starting job.[21] In his first career start against the Kansas City Chiefs, Junkin had six tackles, including the first one of the game in a 6–3 Browns win.[22] A month later, Junkin injured his knee, and was forced to miss several games. He returned to the team in early November, but Johnson had played so well in Junkin's absence that he spent the next few weeks as the backup inside linebacker.[23] He was given the starting job again to end the season, but missed tackles and a lack of impact plays led to his second season being considered a disappointment.[24]

    In early 1989, Schottenheimer was fired as Browns head coach, and took the head coaching job with the Kansas City Chiefs. He still had faith in Junkin, unlike the Browns, and traded a fifth-round pick to bring him to Kansas City.[25] Two weeks after the trade, a report came out that Junkin had taken steroids provided by a doctor to treat an injured ankle, and had failed a drug test at the scouting combine as a result.[26][27] Entering the 1989 Kansas City Chiefs season, Junkin competed with Walker Lee Ashley for the second inside linebacker spot alongside Dino Hackett.[28] Ashley won the job, and Junkin played five games before a shoulder injury sidelined him for the rest of the season. He was released from the Chiefs after season's end, and retired after not being signed by any team through the 1990 season.[29]

    Junkin became known as a draft bust due to his unproductive career.[2] An ESPN article in 2008 noted Junkin noted as the eighth biggest draft bust of all time.[30] He was also named one of the Cleveland' Browns worst three draft picks from 1995 or earlier.[31]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Junkin