Josh Gordon Troubles
-
if it's strictly by the book......he's gone for the year. if the NFL decides to hear the 'second-hand smoke' argument and they weigh in the fact that both that test and his DUI BAC level were barely over the limit then they might be a tad more lenient as in 8 games.
if they rock gordon and let off irsay with a slap on the wrist, considering what the public outcry has been about the lack of punishment to ray rice........all hell will break loose up in this joint.
-
if it's strictly by the book......he's gone for the year. if the NFL decides to hear the 'second-hand smoke' argument and they weigh in the fact that both that test and his DUI BAC level were barely over the limit then they might be a tad more lenient as in 8 games.
if they rock gordon and let off irsay with a slap on the wrist, considering what the public outcry has been about the lack of punishment to ray rice........all hell will break loose up in this joint.
if it's strictly by the book......he's gone for the year. if the NFL decides to hear the 'second-hand smoke' argument and they weigh in the fact that both that test and his DUI BAC level were barely over the limit then they might be a tad more lenient as in 8 games.
if they rock gordon and let off irsay with a slap on the wrist, considering what the public outcry has been about the lack of punishment to ray rice........all hell will break loose up in this joint.
Cleveland could end up like this maybe?
-
I personally feel a whole lot better about the whole situation knowing what the numbers are. There really is a very reasonable doubt.
It sure would be nice to see the charges just dropped. It has nothing to do with whether or not you think weed is good for you.
WSS
-
I'd be interested to know what directly smoking weed registers as? My understanding is if you smoke roughly 30 days before taking a test (presumably a test with a stronger threshold than 15ng) you'd probably fail the test.
If I'm not mistaken a poppy seed bagel will cause you to fail a stronger test than the one the NFL has, so how far back would he have to have smoked for the lever to only be 16ng?
Seems like theres a lot of holes in this testing process. -
I know the hearing is Aug1 but I wonder as Browns fans (and media) if we should more vocal in expressing our view that Gordon cannot be suspended based on these results. Maybe we all go to NFL headquarters and throw beer bottles at the doors?
-
I know the hearing is Aug1 but I wonder as Browns fans (and media) if we should more vocal in expressing our view that Gordon cannot be suspended based on these results. Maybe we all go to NFL headquarters and throw beer bottles at the doors?
I know the hearing is Aug1 but I wonder as Browns fans (and media) if we should more vocal in expressing our view that Gordon cannot be suspended based on these results. Maybe we all go to NFL headquarters and throw beer bottles at the doors?
#FreeJoshGordon is taking over Twatter.
Zombo
-
I know the hearing is Aug1 but I wonder as Browns fans (and media) if we should more vocal in expressing our view that Gordon cannot be suspended based on these results. Maybe we all go to NFL headquarters and throw beer bottles at the doors?
Maybe we all go to NFL headquarters and throw beer bottles at the doors?
As an aside and not really related but this post reminded me of it..
I don't know how many of you have been to an NFL camp this yr but the NFL has instituted a new policy.. When you buy a bottle of ANYTHING at an NFL venue, you will no longer get to keep and use the CAP... I was given a number of reasons for this. Among them being "Fans that fill the plastic bottles with urine, cap em and throw them at players".. (Thanks Oakland facepalm.gif ) So, I guess ya have to bring your own plastic bottle caps now..
Tis a fucked up society we live in 
-
The NFL's threshold level of weed is lower than Airline pilots.
Airline pilots.
I read someone say "would you rather have a son that smoked pot three times or beat his girlfriend once?" What kind of message is the league sending out?
This rule is fucking ridiculous and Goodell needs to stand up and admit it.
I will be at the Ravens game Week 3 and if Rice is playing and Gordon isn't a message needs to be sent to the NFL.
Z
-
Addiction counselor. I am a member of the local Drug Court team, and have had many clients involved with probation... as you could probably imagine
i know it's off topic, but what in is the biggest prob in ohio right now as far as drugs and their addiction?.......
the prescription pain medication i.e. oxycodone etc.? just had a big write up in our westchester news about the growing heroin problem. guess it's cheaper than crack now.
i know it's off topic, but what in is the biggest prob in ohio right now as far as drugs and their addiction?.......
the prescription pain medication i.e. oxycodone etc.? just had a big write up in our westchester news about the growing heroin problem. guess it's cheaper than crack now.
Before 2010, Ohio had the worst prescribing habits in the entire country with regards to opioids. We had a HUGE oxycodone problem which resulted in tons of deaths and addiction-related issues.
In 2010, new legislation was passed that placed harsh restrictions on prescribers and the drug Oxycontin was reformulated to prevent abuse via IV. Those things, combined with cheaper price and availability of heroin have led to a state-wide heroin epidemic.
In 2013, you were at higher risk for a drug overdose if you lived in a "rural" county. Heroin is not only the biggest problem, but it is no longer an inner-city problem, it is a problem for everybody. Research predicts that before the end of 2014, all Ohioans will personally know somebody with a heroin-related problem.
-
I'd be interested to know what directly smoking weed registers as? My understanding is if you smoke roughly 30 days before taking a test (presumably a test with a stronger threshold than 15ng) you'd probably fail the test.
If I'm not mistaken a poppy seed bagel will cause you to fail a stronger test than the one the NFL has, so how far back would he have to have smoked for the lever to only be 16ng?
Seems like theres a lot of holes in this testing process.I'd be interested to know what directly smoking weed registers as? My understanding is if you smoke roughly 30 days before taking a test (presumably a test with a stronger threshold than 15ng) you'd probably fail the test.
If I'm not mistaken a poppy seed bagel will cause you to fail a stronger test than the one the NFL has, so how far back would he have to have smoked for the lever to only be 16ng?
Seems like theres a lot of holes in this testing process.
Typically 250+ if a person used in the last 24 hours. 500+ if a person is a chronic user or used a large amount. In my professional opinion, a test at 16 is either "trace" amounts from a person who hasnt used since 30+ days ago, or second hand smoke inhaled within the past 24 hours.
The levels are never exact science because all individuals bodies are different.
As far as poppy seeds, yes they would produce a positive test... for opiates... not thc... Gotta get your drugs straight...
-
The more interesting thing is that the "level" at which a failed test is set is that 15 nanogram level.
Where by comparison an Air Traffic Controller would have to have a 50 ng level to fail a piss test.
Now, last time I looked, Air Traffic Controller have the lives of thousands of people daily in their hands. Why would their level be so much higher than that of an entertainer? A guy who provides fun for us to watch compared to people that protect our lives?
Absurd.
Perhaps even more absurd is that Olympic Athletes must have like a 175 ng level to be considered a failed test.
Now.....why was the level for NFL players set at such a lower level than for other athletes and people with lives in their hands.
Now.....why was the level for NFL players set at such a lower level than for other athletes and people with lives in their hands.
NFLPA contract language re abused drugs toxicology included aggressive limits suggesting the league has at last become more proactive in their "war on drugs"
It may be they have decided to reform a policy component that effectively gave players significant notification of pending tests allowing them to study and get smart before the big
day, and, took away any privacy the players had enjoyed befpre to tamper with their samples.
-
A comment from a lab tech.
I think GORDON WILL WIN HIS APPEAL.... this is why-- Gordon's drug test was a SPLIT test. This means that the urine was collected into one cup and then poured off into 2 separate vials. This is done for the donor's protection in case they want to call for a re-test. "Bottle A" was tested and came back above cut-off. At that point, I'm sure the results were protested, so they went ahead and processed "Bottle B" and saw that it was below cut-off. Drug testing in the workplace and Department Of Transportation (DOT drug testing, which is the highest regulated in our nation) says that if Bottle B comes back below the cutoff, then the sample is deemed NEGATIVE even if the first bottle (Bottle A) was positive.
For this reason, I believe Gordon will win his appeal. It wasn't because the 2 bottles had 2 different levels as stated in the article. In fact, the article makes it sound like the reason that was even brought up was to say that something was tampered with and bottles were switched around. Fact is, a sample done on a split collection can definitely show 2 different readings. I confirmed this with my lab manager who has been in the forensic drug testing field for 20+ years.A comment from a lab tech.
I think GORDON WILL WIN HIS APPEAL.... this is why-- Gordon's drug test was a SPLIT test. This means that the urine was collected into one cup and then poured off into 2 separate vials. This is done for the donor's protection in case they want to call for a re-test. "Bottle A" was tested and came back above cut-off. At that point, I'm sure the results were protested, so they went ahead and processed "Bottle B" and saw that it was below cut-off. Drug testing in the workplace and Department Of Transportation (DOT drug testing, which is the highest regulated in our nation) says that if Bottle B comes back below the cutoff, then the sample is deemed NEGATIVE even if the first bottle (Bottle A) was positive.
For this reason, I believe Gordon will win his appeal. It wasn't because the 2 bottles had 2 different levels as stated in the article. In fact, the article makes it sound like the reason that was even brought up was to say that something was tampered with and bottles were switched around. Fact is, a sample done on a split collection can definitely show 2 different readings. I confirmed this with my lab manager who has been in the forensic drug testing field for 20+ years.
I've been a Medical Technologist for a long time- I've never done Forensic Toxicology, but I know plenty about the instrumentation used in it. His lawyers should be asking what's the accuracy and reproducibility at those levels? If it was the same sample and was split- they should be damn close- not almost 2 ng different. To my mind- that's enough to toss the case out.
Typically 250+ if a person used in the last 24 hours. 500+ if a person is a chronic user or used a large amount. In my professional opinion, a test at 16 is either "trace" amounts from a person who hasnt used since 30+ days ago, or second hand smoke inhaled within the past 24 hours.
The levels are never exact science because all individuals bodies are different.
As far as poppy seeds, yes they would produce a positive test... for opiates... not thc... Gotta get your drugs straight...
Hmmm, if Josh was tooling around in his car with his pals and they were toking up a storm for an hour- I can certainly buy his second hand smoke argument. He needs to stay away- far away from those guys. I think having passed 50+ tests, and voluntarily checking into rehab will help his case.
Plus if they give Gordon a year for a level that truck drivers, airline pilots, and Olympic athletes would pass- and Ray Rice gets two games for cold-cocking his fiancee, there's going to be a shit storm.
-
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/30/gordons-appeal-is-indeed-all-or-nothing/
Turns out it is all or nothing.
No reduction possible according to whoever PFT talked to.
16 games or Zero games, and the NFL already said Gordon will be held accountable for what is in his body. From that the tea leaves don't look great. -
Can we start a poll on how many days Gordon will get? I'm not a lawyer but the NFL has a weak position in this case. The strike two was questionable given his prescription for cough syrup. Now, strike 3 with a sample that is marginally above at best? I'm going to say 6-8 games at most, and only because of his continued behavior.
-
Not so fast there, diehard. Marijuana is an effective pain reliever without the physical addiction component of opioid pain relievers. I think the league would be remiss if they didn't evaluate the substantial research available on the effectivenss of pot as an analgesic. Already there are effective marijuana creams that help with pain without the user getting "high"
as well, the feds are rattling their sabers as they consider whether to come after the league for questionable control and custody issues involving opioids and player injury treatment.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20100830/marijuana-relieves-chronic-pain-research-show
I hope you have more "substantial research." I read that article and a study with only 21 paricipants with no significant statistical outcomes is not exactly a convincing way to try and change how we treat pain.
I know marijuana has some benefits but the long-term side efffects are still just as bad, if not worse, than other medications, particularly for athletes.
1. It 110 percent treats pain. It's unarguable.I hope you have more "substantial research." I read that article and a study with only 21 paricipants with no significant statistical outcomes is not exactly a convincing way to try and change how we treat pain.
I know marijuana has some benefits but the long-term side efffects are still just as bad, if not worse, than other medications, particularly for athletes.
2. Long term side effects? Unless you are smoking massive amounts of marijuana what side effects exactly do you believe exist? If you vape it you aren't even getting the smoke.
3. Beyond the already widely established medicinal uses tied to pain and nausea. Its been shown to help with the slowing of cognitive deterioration and in a few scientifically founded clinical trials slow the metastasis of some aggressive cancers or stop it all together.
Once the fda takes it off schedule one the legalization lobby will have the funding and the fire power to really study and test its uses and effectiveness for all kinds of ailments. I've read and heard people trying to debunk it for its cancer kill properties but never for pain. You yourself may want to do a little more research.
-
A comment from a lab tech.
I think GORDON WILL WIN HIS APPEAL.... this is why-- Gordon's drug test was a SPLIT test. This means that the urine was collected into one cup and then poured off into 2 separate vials. This is done for the donor's protection in case they want to call for a re-test. "Bottle A" was tested and came back above cut-off. At that point, I'm sure the results were protested, so they went ahead and processed "Bottle B" and saw that it was below cut-off. Drug testing in the workplace and Department Of Transportation (DOT drug testing, which is the highest regulated in our nation) says that if Bottle B comes back below the cutoff, then the sample is deemed NEGATIVE even if the first bottle (Bottle A) was positive.
For this reason, I believe Gordon will win his appeal. It wasn't because the 2 bottles had 2 different levels as stated in the article. In fact, the article makes it sound like the reason that was even brought up was to say that something was tampered with and bottles were switched around. Fact is, a sample done on a split collection can definitely show 2 different readings. I confirmed this with my lab manager who has been in the forensic drug testing field for 20+ years.
I've been a Medical Technologist for a long time- I've never done Forensic Toxicology, but I know plenty about the instrumentation used in it. His lawyers should be asking what's the accuracy and reproducibility at those levels? If it was the same sample and was split- they should be damn close- not almost 2 ng different. To my mind- that's enough to toss the case out.
Typically 250+ if a person used in the last 24 hours. 500+ if a person is a chronic user or used a large amount. In my professional opinion, a test at 16 is either "trace" amounts from a person who hasnt used since 30+ days ago, or second hand smoke inhaled within the past 24 hours.
The levels are never exact science because all individuals bodies are different.
As far as poppy seeds, yes they would produce a positive test... for opiates... not thc... Gotta get your drugs straight...
Hmmm, if Josh was tooling around in his car with his pals and they were toking up a storm for an hour- I can certainly buy his second hand smoke argument. He needs to stay away- far away from those guys. I think having passed 50+ tests, and voluntarily checking into rehab will help his case.
Plus if they give Gordon a year for a level that truck drivers, airline pilots, and Olympic athletes would pass- and Ray Rice gets two games for cold-cocking his fiancee, there's going to be a shit storm.
I've been a Medical Technologist for a long time- I've never done Forensic Toxicology, but I know plenty about the instrumentation used in it. His lawyers should be asking what's the accuracy and reproducibility at those levels? If it was the same sample and was split- they should be damn close- not almost 2 ng different. To my mind- that's enough to toss the case out.
Hmmm, if Josh was tooling around in his car with his pals and they were toking up a storm for an hour- I can certainly buy his second hand smoke argument. He needs to stay away- far away from those guys. I think having passed 50+ tests, and voluntarily checking into rehab will help his case.
Plus if they give Gordon a year for a level that truck drivers, airline pilots, and Olympic athletes would pass- and Ray Rice gets two games for cold-cocking his fiancee, there's going to be a shit storm.
If this were Gordons first offense there would be a sh.it storm. Its his what 4th now? Obviously that's a pattern and with 4 "minor" violations the hammer is going to come down. Especially when you consider he was already in hot water and he got flagged again. If I knew I was under a microscope there is absolutely no way I'd even be around people smoking it. I wouldn't be in the same room, hell I wouldnt be in the same building. Its that level of both arrogance and ignorance that is going to get Gordon suspended for 16.
-
i know it's off topic, but what in is the biggest prob in ohio right now as far as drugs and their addiction?.......
the prescription pain medication i.e. oxycodone etc.? just had a big write up in our westchester news about the growing heroin problem. guess it's cheaper than crack now.
Before 2010, Ohio had the worst prescribing habits in the entire country with regards to opioids. We had a HUGE oxycodone problem which resulted in tons of deaths and addiction-related issues.
In 2010, new legislation was passed that placed harsh restrictions on prescribers and the drug Oxycontin was reformulated to prevent abuse via IV. Those things, combined with cheaper price and availability of heroin have led to a state-wide heroin epidemic.
In 2013, you were at higher risk for a drug overdose if you lived in a "rural" county. Heroin is not only the biggest problem, but it is no longer an inner-city problem, it is a problem for everybody. Research predicts that before the end of 2014, all Ohioans will personally know somebody with a heroin-related problem.
Before 2010, Ohio had the worst prescribing habits in the entire country with regards to opioids. We had a HUGE oxycodone problem which resulted in tons of deaths and addiction-related issues.
In 2010, new legislation was passed that placed harsh restrictions on prescribers and the drug Oxycontin was reformulated to prevent abuse via IV. Those things, combined with cheaper price and availability of heroin have led to a state-wide heroin epidemic.
In 2013, you were at higher risk for a drug overdose if you lived in a "rural" county. Heroin is not only the biggest problem, but it is no longer an inner-city problem, it is a problem for everybody. Research predicts that before the end of 2014, all Ohioans will personally know somebody with a heroin-related problem.
Haven't you seen "Justified"? It seems that it is a much bigger problem in rural areas than in cities.
-
I've been a Medical Technologist for a long time- I've never done Forensic Toxicology, but I know plenty about the instrumentation used in it. His lawyers should be asking what's the accuracy and reproducibility at those levels? If it was the same sample and was split- they should be damn close- not almost 2 ng different. To my mind- that's enough to toss the case out.
Hmmm, if Josh was tooling around in his car with his pals and they were toking up a storm for an hour- I can certainly buy his second hand smoke argument. He needs to stay away- far away from those guys. I think having passed 50+ tests, and voluntarily checking into rehab will help his case.
Plus if they give Gordon a year for a level that truck drivers, airline pilots, and Olympic athletes would pass- and Ray Rice gets two games for cold-cocking his fiancee, there's going to be a shit storm.
If this were Gordons first offense there would be a sh.it storm. Its his what 4th now? Obviously that's a pattern and with 4 "minor" violations the hammer is going to come down. Especially when you consider he was already in hot water and he got flagged again. If I knew I was under a microscope there is absolutely no way I'd even be around people smoking it. I wouldn't be in the same room, hell I wouldnt be in the same building. Its that level of both arrogance and ignorance that is going to get Gordon suspended for 16.
If this were Gordons first offense there would be a sh.it storm. Its his what 4th now? Obviously that's a pattern and with 4 "minor" violations the hammer is going to come down. Especially when you consider he was already in hot water and he got flagged again. If I knew I was under a microscope there is absolutely no way I'd even be around people smoking it. I wouldn't be in the same room, hell I wouldnt be in the same building. Its that level of both arrogance and ignorance that is going to get Gordon suspended for 16.
Well, I believe that there is a possibility that he may be "let off" on the drug charge, but suspended for the OVI.
-
1. It 110 percent treats pain. It's unarguable.I hope you have more "substantial research." I read that article and a study with only 21 paricipants with no significant statistical outcomes is not exactly a convincing way to try and change how we treat pain.
I know marijuana has some benefits but the long-term side efffects are still just as bad, if not worse, than other medications, particularly for athletes.
2. Long term side effects? Unless you are smoking massive amounts of marijuana what side effects exactly do you believe exist? If you vape it you aren't even getting the smoke.
3. Beyond the already widely established medicinal uses tied to pain and nausea. Its been shown to help with the slowing of cognitive deterioration and in a few scientifically founded clinical trials slow the metastasis of some aggressive cancers or stop it all together.
Once the fda takes it off schedule one the legalization lobby will have the funding and the fire power to really study and test its uses and effectiveness for all kinds of ailments. I've read and heard people trying to debunk it for its cancer kill properties but never for pain. You yourself may want to do a little more research.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login