Shaw
-
-
I understand this was Connors 1st chance, but the so called 1st and 2nd q-b's looked troubled uncomfortable. Shaw on the other hand looked poised and ready to play even with 3rd and 4th team line.
Shaw can read a defense and shred it up, as he did in his check downs last night. He has great speed, is accurate with the ball and If he's given the chance to play ( which even a blind hog finds pieces of corn coaches ) w/the 1st team O line he'll prove that Johnny College ( not football ) is where he should be, in the stands selling, jersey's, hats and t's.
Just read the stats from college and compare the 2. It's not rocket science.
-
If anything Shaw's performance show's that Pettine should give him more live reps in the next pre-season game to see if 8-9/123 yds/1 TD was a fluke or something else.
All of our opinions don't really matter. The question is, what did the coaches see. -
By the way, I am a little tired of the cueball, bonehead, skinhead look these guys are all sporting. I mean do Brian Hoyer and Connor Shaw really have like no hair to the point that they should shave what little they have left, or are they just trying to be cute.
I think a QB should be a decent looking guy with hair.
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608008034675593210&pid=15.1&P=0
https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608014498595932661&pid=15.1&P=0
I mean, these dudes are looking like HowieDawg. OK for the Cock of the Cotswalds, not so much for the Cleveland Browns QBs.

-
By the way, I am a little tired of the cueball, bonehead, skinhead look these guys are all sporting. I mean do Brian Hoyer and Connor Shaw really have like no hair to the point that they should shave what little they have left, or are they just trying to be cute.
I think a QB should be a decent looking guy with hair.
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608008034675593210&pid=15.1&P=0
https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608014498595932661&pid=15.1&P=0
I mean, these dudes are looking like HowieDawg. OK for the Cock of the Cotswalds, not so much for the Cleveland Browns QBs.

By the way, I am a little tired of the cueball, bonehead, skinhead look these guys are all sporting. I mean do Brian Hoyer and Connor Shaw really have like no hair to the point that they should shave what little they have left, or are they just trying to be cute.
I think a QB should be a decent looking guy with hair.
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608008034675593210&pid=15.1&P=0
https://sp1.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608014498595932661&pid=15.1&P=0
And while we are at it, bring back the muff!
Z
-
-
I think y'all will like Shaw. I actually was hoping the Panthers would grab him to groom as Cams backup. Watched quite a few of his games, and while I'm not sure that hell ever be a star, I think he will be an effective QB, and a exceptional 2nd guy.
As far as JF, I'm praying for y'all that he turns out. I can not stand Steelers fans, I was born in north central WV, so I had to deal with those people growing up. Thank goodness I moved to Charlotte the same year we got our team. We've been through some tough times, but nothing like you have. Hopefully now you have found a QB, as we were blessed to get one.
-
27-4 at South Carolina ... hmmm ... Johnny was 20-6 at Tex A&M ... same conference, right?
Zombo
-
27-4 at South Carolina ... hmmm ... Johnny was 20-6 at Tex A&M ... same conference, right?
Zombo
Zombo said:
27-4 at South Carolina ... hmmm ... Johnny was 20-6 at Tex A&M ... same conference, right?
Yup, same conference. Make of it what you will.
Contrast Shaw's post game interview with Hoyer's and Manziel's and tell me who you want leading your team from a LEADERSHIP point of view.
-
I think y'all will like Shaw. I actually was hoping the Panthers would grab him to groom as Cams backup. Watched quite a few of his games, and while I'm not sure that hell ever be a star, I think he will be an effective QB, and a exceptional 2nd guy.
As far as JF, I'm praying for y'all that he turns out. I can not stand Steelers fans, I was born in north central WV, so I had to deal with those people growing up. Thank goodness I moved to Charlotte the same year we got our team. We've been through some tough times, but nothing like you have. Hopefully now you have found a QB, as we were blessed to get one.
I think y'all will like Shaw. I actually was hoping the Panthers would grab him to groom as Cams backup. Watched quite a few of his games, and while I'm not sure that hell ever be a star, I think he will be an effective QB, and a exceptional 2nd guy.
As far as JF, I'm praying for y'all that he turns out. I can not stand Steelers fans, I was born in north central WV, so I had to deal with those people growing up. Thank goodness I moved to Charlotte the same year we got our team. We've been through some tough times, but nothing like you have. Hopefully now you have found a QB, as we were blessed to get one.
You got Derek Anderson to back up Cam.....what more could you possibly want?
-
First post here. Just wanted to add some comments to the discussion about Connor and if you all have any specific
questions, I may be able to supply some answers for you. I've been a South Carolina Gamecock fan for over 40 years
and our win loss history has been "average" at best over 100 years. The past 5 seasons at SC have been the best in
the history of the program and Connor Shaw has been one of the kids who have made that possible. Until Shaw came
to SC, we had only one season in 113 years with double digit wins. Connor took over the starting QB spot midway
through his sophomore season (2011) and the Gamecocks have gotten 11 wins in each of his 3 years as our starting
QB. He set the win record by a wide margin for a starting QB, and set the record for passing eff. and QB rating.
What you saw last night is what Connor has done since taking over the offense for the Gamecocks. He's also led the team
to three consecutive post season bowl wins (first in school history as well.
Connor is a devout Christian young man with a very disciplined upbringing. His dad was in the Military, and was also
his HS football coach. He will not cause the Browns any grief with off the field issues if he does make the roster and I can
tell you from personal viewing of this young man for four seasons. ... HE IS A WINNER. HE WILL DO WHATEVER IT
TAKES TO IMPROVE HIMSELF AND HIS GAME.
I am a moderator on a non pay Gamecock forum and have volunteered to do practice updates on he team during the spring
and fall for the South Carolina Gamecocks. I've done this for over 8 years now, and I told our guys in the practice update when
I first saw Connor Shaw run the offense in practice .... "This young man is the future of the Gamecock Offense". For the type of
player he was , and more importantly for the type of individual Connor Shaw is, I really hope he is able to make your roster this
fall. He deserves it for what he did for the Gamecocks and I know for a fact he will make the Browns an outstanding QB if given
the opportunity to develop there. ...... BTW, he was team mates with Spencer Lanning who is a personal friend of mine, and
if you know his personality, you know what kind of person you are getting in Connor Shaw as well.
-
Spurticus.....you didn't think Joe Morrison was better than SS? And that QB they had when Morrison was coaching...blond kid, can't remember his name. Good player. Thought he would make a good pro, but he didn't. (he may have been a Connor Shaw type).
I saw him play live some time back in the mid-late 80s.
Morrison was very popular. The man in black with his "Fire Ant" defense, which would swarm all over the field.
The reason I know of him is that my in-laws retired to SC (Chapin on Lake Murray), and they would attend the games with friends/neighbors. Also, Morrison was a native of Lima, Oh......and my father-in-law grew up in neighboring St. Marys Oh. So there was a bit of a kinship there.
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
I think he got into some trouble....or he was injured and his career cut short.
I don't think it was Steve Tanneyhill, though it may have been him. Who were some of the QBs that preceded Tanneyhill?
-
you're talking about Mike Hold.
Mike was an outstanding "Blue Collar" type QB for the Gamecocks in 1984-1986,
but Mike had a tendency to get careless at times. Mike played with some excellent
skill guys during that time too, but IMO, would have done better with a more solid
O/line in '85 and '86. Mike was solid, and with a strong arm, but Connor (athletically)
is on a level way above Mike. .... My favorite QB (one of my favorite all time Gamecock
Athletes) was Jeff Grantz who was the QB from 1974 to 1976. I even made the comparison
between Grantz and Shaw several times during Shaw's freshman season. Until
this past season, I told everyone that Grantz was the best Gamecock QB I ever saw
in my lifetime. ... I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since
I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make
the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.
I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,
but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that
kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out
in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and
individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's
impressed SC for four seasons now.
-
And just and a FYI people, Spurt is the DAMN MAN when it comes to SC's practice reports!!!!
-
Spurticus.....you didn't think Joe Morrison was better than SS? And that QB they had when Morrison was coaching...blond kid, can't remember his name. Good player. Thought he would make a good pro, but he didn't. (he may have been a Connor Shaw type).
I saw him play live some time back in the mid-late 80s.
Morrison was very popular. The man in black with his "Fire Ant" defense, which would swarm all over the field.
The reason I know of him is that my in-laws retired to SC (Chapin on Lake Murray), and they would attend the games with friends/neighbors. Also, Morrison was a native of Lima, Oh......and my father-in-law grew up in neighboring St. Marys Oh. So there was a bit of a kinship there.
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
I think he got into some trouble....or he was injured and his career cut short.
I don't think it was Steve Tanneyhill, though it may have been him. Who were some of the QBs that preceded Tanneyhill?
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
It was Todd Ellis. He's now and Attorney in Columbia and South Carolina's Play by Play announcer.
-
Well one things is clear, in no way do people on this board overreact in dramatic ways
-
you're talking about Mike Hold.
Mike was an outstanding "Blue Collar" type QB for the Gamecocks in 1984-1986,
but Mike had a tendency to get careless at times. Mike played with some excellent
skill guys during that time too, but IMO, would have done better with a more solid
O/line in '85 and '86. Mike was solid, and with a strong arm, but Connor (athletically)
is on a level way above Mike. .... My favorite QB (one of my favorite all time Gamecock
Athletes) was Jeff Grantz who was the QB from 1974 to 1976. I even made the comparison
between Grantz and Shaw several times during Shaw's freshman season. Until
this past season, I told everyone that Grantz was the best Gamecock QB I ever saw
in my lifetime. ... I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since
I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make
the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.
I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,
but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that
kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out
in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and
individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's
impressed SC for four seasons now.
you're talking about Mike Hold.
Mike was an outstanding "Blue Collar" type QB for the Gamecocks in 1984-1986,
but Mike had a tendency to get careless at times. Mike played with some excellent
skill guys during that time too, but IMO, would have done better with a more solid
O/line in '85 and '86. Mike was solid, and with a strong arm, but Connor (athletically)
is on a level way above Mike. .... My favorite QB (one of my favorite all time Gamecock
Athletes) was Jeff Grantz who was the QB from 1974 to 1976. I even made the comparison
between Grantz and Shaw several times during Shaw's freshman season. Until
this past season, I told everyone that Grantz was the best Gamecock QB I ever saw
in my lifetime. ... I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since
I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make
the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.
I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,
but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that
kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out
in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and
individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's
impressed SC for four seasons now.
No love for Joe Morrison?
Like I have said elsewhere, Connor could follow the pattern set by Brian Sipe (except Sipe wasn't nearly as ugly).
I do like this kid Shaw and I would like to see him kept here for development.
-
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
It was Todd Ellis. He's now and Attorney in Columbia and South Carolina's Play by Play announcer.
It was Todd Ellis. He's now and Attorney in Columbia and South Carolina's Play by Play announcer.
Yes, that was him. I remember Hold too....but it was Ellis who more flambouyant was thought to be a pro prospect. Did he ever play pro....or did injuries prevent that?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login