Shaw
-
Spurticus.....you didn't think Joe Morrison was better than SS? And that QB they had when Morrison was coaching...blond kid, can't remember his name. Good player. Thought he would make a good pro, but he didn't. (he may have been a Connor Shaw type).
I saw him play live some time back in the mid-late 80s.
Morrison was very popular. The man in black with his "Fire Ant" defense, which would swarm all over the field.
The reason I know of him is that my in-laws retired to SC (Chapin on Lake Murray), and they would attend the games with friends/neighbors. Also, Morrison was a native of Lima, Oh......and my father-in-law grew up in neighboring St. Marys Oh. So there was a bit of a kinship there.
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
I think he got into some trouble....or he was injured and his career cut short.
I don't think it was Steve Tanneyhill, though it may have been him. Who were some of the QBs that preceded Tanneyhill?
-
you're talking about Mike Hold.
Mike was an outstanding "Blue Collar" type QB for the Gamecocks in 1984-1986,
but Mike had a tendency to get careless at times. Mike played with some excellent
skill guys during that time too, but IMO, would have done better with a more solid
O/line in '85 and '86. Mike was solid, and with a strong arm, but Connor (athletically)
is on a level way above Mike. .... My favorite QB (one of my favorite all time Gamecock
Athletes) was Jeff Grantz who was the QB from 1974 to 1976. I even made the comparison
between Grantz and Shaw several times during Shaw's freshman season. Until
this past season, I told everyone that Grantz was the best Gamecock QB I ever saw
in my lifetime. ... I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since
I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make
the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.
I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,
but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that
kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out
in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and
individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's
impressed SC for four seasons now.
-
And just and a FYI people, Spurt is the DAMN MAN when it comes to SC's practice reports!!!!
-
Spurticus.....you didn't think Joe Morrison was better than SS? And that QB they had when Morrison was coaching...blond kid, can't remember his name. Good player. Thought he would make a good pro, but he didn't. (he may have been a Connor Shaw type).
I saw him play live some time back in the mid-late 80s.
Morrison was very popular. The man in black with his "Fire Ant" defense, which would swarm all over the field.
The reason I know of him is that my in-laws retired to SC (Chapin on Lake Murray), and they would attend the games with friends/neighbors. Also, Morrison was a native of Lima, Oh......and my father-in-law grew up in neighboring St. Marys Oh. So there was a bit of a kinship there.
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
I think he got into some trouble....or he was injured and his career cut short.
I don't think it was Steve Tanneyhill, though it may have been him. Who were some of the QBs that preceded Tanneyhill?
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
It was Todd Ellis. He's now and Attorney in Columbia and South Carolina's Play by Play announcer.
-
Well one things is clear, in no way do people on this board overreact in dramatic ways
-
you're talking about Mike Hold.
Mike was an outstanding "Blue Collar" type QB for the Gamecocks in 1984-1986,
but Mike had a tendency to get careless at times. Mike played with some excellent
skill guys during that time too, but IMO, would have done better with a more solid
O/line in '85 and '86. Mike was solid, and with a strong arm, but Connor (athletically)
is on a level way above Mike. .... My favorite QB (one of my favorite all time Gamecock
Athletes) was Jeff Grantz who was the QB from 1974 to 1976. I even made the comparison
between Grantz and Shaw several times during Shaw's freshman season. Until
this past season, I told everyone that Grantz was the best Gamecock QB I ever saw
in my lifetime. ... I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since
I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make
the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.
I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,
but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that
kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out
in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and
individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's
impressed SC for four seasons now.
you're talking about Mike Hold.
Mike was an outstanding "Blue Collar" type QB for the Gamecocks in 1984-1986,
but Mike had a tendency to get careless at times. Mike played with some excellent
skill guys during that time too, but IMO, would have done better with a more solid
O/line in '85 and '86. Mike was solid, and with a strong arm, but Connor (athletically)
is on a level way above Mike. .... My favorite QB (one of my favorite all time Gamecock
Athletes) was Jeff Grantz who was the QB from 1974 to 1976. I even made the comparison
between Grantz and Shaw several times during Shaw's freshman season. Until
this past season, I told everyone that Grantz was the best Gamecock QB I ever saw
in my lifetime. ... I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since
I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make
the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.
I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,
but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that
kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out
in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and
individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's
impressed SC for four seasons now.
No love for Joe Morrison?
Like I have said elsewhere, Connor could follow the pattern set by Brian Sipe (except Sipe wasn't nearly as ugly).
I do like this kid Shaw and I would like to see him kept here for development.
-
Morrison coached Sterling Sharpe.....and I can't recall this QBs name
It was Todd Ellis. He's now and Attorney in Columbia and South Carolina's Play by Play announcer.
It was Todd Ellis. He's now and Attorney in Columbia and South Carolina's Play by Play announcer.
Yes, that was him. I remember Hold too....but it was Ellis who more flambouyant was thought to be a pro prospect. Did he ever play pro....or did injuries prevent that?
-
Well one things is clear, in no way do people on this board overreact in dramatic ways
Well one things is clear, in no way do people on this board overreact in dramatic ways
Well, Ricky, Johnny has his sycophants and Shaw has his. And if either becomes a championship caliber QB for the Browns I will take it either way.
-
I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program
would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984
and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)
but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his
coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically
dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some
of the coaches were charged individually.
I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency
to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's
done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn
that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like
it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different
in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program
that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in
charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't
that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.
That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing
well back then.
-
I'm saying in general McShay is an idiot just to be clear.
-
Ellis was (and still is) the leader for QBs in total yards. Morrison changed from the Veer offense to the Run and Shoot
to try to entice Ellis to come to SC and it worked. Todd had a strong arm and was a good QB, but Todd also holds the
record for most interceptions in the school's history. When Todd was on he was ON... on the bad days, it was painful
to watch him play. I liked Todd as a QB here. He's now the Play X Play guy for our radio team during the season, and
does a lot for the school and the football program. He and Tommy Suggs (QB in the early 70s) are the broadcast guys
for the Gamecocks. ...... They have some classic calls involving some of Shaw's finer moments (of which there were
many). Take some time to look them up on youtube if you get a chance.
-
I think y'all will like Shaw. I actually was hoping the Panthers would grab him to groom as Cams backup. Watched quite a few of his games, and while I'm not sure that hell ever be a star, I think he will be an effective QB, and a exceptional 2nd guy.
As far as JF, I'm praying for y'all that he turns out. I can not stand Steelers fans, I was born in north central WV, so I had to deal with those people growing up. Thank goodness I moved to Charlotte the same year we got our team. We've been through some tough times, but nothing like you have. Hopefully now you have found a QB, as we were blessed to get one.
You got Derek Anderson to back up Cam.....what more could you possibly want?
You got Derek Anderson to back up Cam.....what more could you possibly want?
I actually like DA, but he's getting older and this is a young mans game. He did what he was brought in to do, helping to mentor Cam, and he done a admirable job. Don't forget, the Panthers had planned to take Russel Wilson as Cams back up, but was gone before the round they had planned to take him (think they had him a a 4th rounder). That's the MO of this regime, bring in a solid vet to mentor a high draft pick, unless one is already on the roster. DA for Cam, Cotchery and Avant for Benjamin, and we already had Thomas Davis and Jon Beason for Luke Kuechley. That's also part of the reason Steve Smith is no longer there. As much as I love Smitty he was a me first guy, and wouldn't play well with others.
-
I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program
would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984
and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)
but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his
coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically
dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some
of the coaches were charged individually.
I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency
to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's
done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn
that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like
it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different
in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program
that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in
charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't
that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.
That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing
well back then.
I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program
would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984
and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)
but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his
coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically
dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some
of the coaches were charged individually.
I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency
to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's
done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn
that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like
it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different
in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program
that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in
charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't
that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.
That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing
well back then.
I was never under the impression that Morrison was anyone's "Yes Man". He sure did not come off that way.
Are they still doing the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro? Morrison started that I believe.
-
DA is the perfect example of why you cant rate a quarterback based upon a few games or a single game or a few series, etc.........DA was a lot like Weeden. Has an amazing arm, but makes poor choices. Often. Gotta say tho, he was absolutely amazing every once in a while......Plus, he threw some the prettiest laser sharp rocket like interceptions Ive ever seen!!!
-
Morrison started it, but it was actually presented to Morrison by way of
Tommy Suggs. Suggs liked it after seeing Elvis Pressley open one of his shows in
Columbia with it, and Suggs suggested it to the Athletic Director at the time. He
got the band to do it on the field and it didn't go over real well. ... Morrison was
a big Pressley fan as well, and Morrison suggested that they take Suggs Idea
and instead of letting the band play it and bring the team in, they do it like Elvis
did it at his show, and play it over the PA at the stadium to bring the team out.... I was
at the game against North Carolina in 1983 when we did that for the first time... It
was electrifying and has been the team's intro ever since. Still get goose bumps
thinking about JoMo when they play that
-
I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program
would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984
and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)
but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his
coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically
dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some
of the coaches were charged individually.
I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency
to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's
done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn
that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like
it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different
in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program
that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in
charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't
that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.
That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing
well back then.
I was never under the impression that Morrison was anyone's "Yes Man". He sure did not come off that way.
Are they still doing the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro? Morrison started that I believe.
Are they still doing the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro? Morrison started that I believe.
-
I don't think Connor is starting material for the Browns right now. I think Hoyer personally is the guy
that gives you the best chance of winning right now, or at least making the offense click as good
as it possibly can. My comments about Shaw were made from a personal "investment" I've had
by watching Connor play for South Carolina for four years now, and from knowing what kind of
heart and work ethic he has. He will not regress in his efforts, or get complacent at some point when
he gets better (and he will get better). He will constantly work on his game and work to improve on
what he can improve on. Given the chance Shaw will become a very good QB at this level and even
though I'm a Green Bay Packer fan myself, I'd love to see Connor playing in a Browns Uniform
or at least get the chance to catch the eye of some other team in the immediate future if he doesn't
end up staying here. He's a smart kid and a very talented individual. He'll give you 100% of what
he's got. The man can play !
-
@douche-nozzle said:
Two foolish issues with the discussion about Shaw:
1. Everyone says Shaw looked good against the Redskins scrubs....big deal.........the same scrubs Manziel looked like shit against!
2. Regardless of how bad Hoyer and Manziel looked, you can't turn to Shaw at this point of the season.
No one is even debating those facts. We are simply talking about a kid on the roster that some day could have a future.
You never know, people...players...QBs have come out of obscurity to excel. I mean the leading passer, by yards, in Browns history was taken with draft pick #330.
I mean, your boy Donnie Shell was a UDA in a draft where 442 players were chosen.
So, quit being such a knuckledragger that cannot understand the spirit of a conversation.
-
I don't think Connor is starting material for the Browns right now. I think Hoyer personally is the guy
that gives you the best chance of winning right now, or at least making the offense click as good
as it possibly can. My comments about Shaw were made from a personal "investment" I've had
by watching Connor play for South Carolina for four years now, and from knowing what kind of
heart and work ethic he has. He will not regress in his efforts, or get complacent at some point when
he gets better (and he will get better). He will constantly work on his game and work to improve on
what he can improve on. Given the chance Shaw will become a very good QB at this level and even
though I'm a Green Bay Packer fan myself, I'd love to see Connor playing in a Browns Uniform
or at least get the chance to catch the eye of some other team in the immediate future if he doesn't
end up staying here. He's a smart kid and a very talented individual. He'll give you 100% of what
he's got. The man can play !
I don't think Connor is starting material for the Browns right now. I think Hoyer personally is the guy
that gives you the best chance of winning right now, or at least making the offense click as good
as it possibly can. My comments about Shaw were made from a personal "investment" I've had
by watching Connor play for South Carolina for four years now, and from knowing what kind of
heart and work ethic he has. He will not regress in his efforts, or get complacent at some point when
he gets better (and he will get better). He will constantly work on his game and work to improve on
what he can improve on. Given the chance Shaw will become a very good QB at this level and even
though I'm a Green Bay Packer fan myself, I'd love to see Connor playing in a Browns Uniform
or at least get the chance to catch the eye of some other team in the immediate future if he doesn't
end up staying here. He's a smart kid and a very talented individual. He'll give you 100% of what
he's got. The man can play !
Let me guess, you became a Packer fan because of Sterling Sharpe?
(but you know, my father in law was also a Packer fan as he taught school for many years in Racine Wisc. before retiring to SC in the early 80s. For a while he was a big supporter of SC before health disallowed him from attending the gamest as regular.
Hell, you may have known him)
Al Widner.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login