Skip to content

Shaw

The Browns Board
179 51 18.6k
  • @strawman said:

    I think y'all will like Shaw. I actually was hoping the Panthers would grab him to groom as Cams backup. Watched quite a few of his games, and while I'm not sure that hell ever be a star, I think he will be an effective QB, and a exceptional 2nd guy.

    As far as JF, I'm praying for y'all that he turns out. I can not stand Steelers fans, I was born in north central WV, so I had to deal with those people growing up. Thank goodness I moved to Charlotte the same year we got our team. We've been through some tough times, but nothing like you have. Hopefully now you have found a QB, as we were blessed to get one.

    You got Derek Anderson to back up Cam.....what more could you possibly want?

    @the-gipper said:

    You got Derek Anderson to back up Cam.....what more could you possibly want?

    I actually like DA, but he's getting older and this is a young mans game. He did what he was brought in to do, helping to mentor Cam, and he done a admirable job. Don't forget, the Panthers had planned to take Russel Wilson as Cams back up, but was gone before the round they had planned to take him (think they had him a a 4th rounder). That's the MO of this regime, bring in a solid vet to mentor a high draft pick, unless one is already on the roster. DA for Cam, Cotchery and Avant for Benjamin, and we already had Thomas Davis and Jon Beason for Luke Kuechley. That's also part of the reason Steve Smith is no longer there. As much as I love Smitty he was a me first guy, and wouldn't play well with others.

  • I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program

    would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984

    and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)

    but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his

    coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically

    dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some

    of the coaches were charged individually.

    I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency

    to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's

    done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn

    that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like

    it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different

    in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program

    that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in

    charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't

    that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.

    That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing

    well back then.

    @spurticus said:

    I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program

    would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984

    and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)

    but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his

    coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically

    dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some

    of the coaches were charged individually.

    I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency

    to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's

    done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn

    that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like

    it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different

    in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program

    that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in

    charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't

    that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.

    That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing

    well back then.

    I was never under the impression that Morrison was anyone's "Yes Man". He sure did not come off that way.

    Are they still doing the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro? Morrison started that I believe.

  • DA is the perfect example of why you cant rate a quarterback based upon a few games or a single game or a few series, etc.........DA was a lot like Weeden. Has an amazing arm, but makes poor choices. Often. Gotta say tho, he was absolutely amazing every once in a while......Plus, he threw some the prettiest laser sharp rocket like interceptions Ive ever seen!!!

  • Morrison started it, but it was actually presented to Morrison by way of

    Tommy Suggs. Suggs liked it after seeing Elvis Pressley open one of his shows in

    Columbia with it, and Suggs suggested it to the Athletic Director at the time. He

    got the band to do it on the field and it didn't go over real well. ... Morrison was

    a big Pressley fan as well, and Morrison suggested that they take Suggs Idea

    and instead of letting the band play it and bring the team in, they do it like Elvis

    did it at his show, and play it over the PA at the stadium to bring the team out.... I was

    at the game against North Carolina in 1983 when we did that for the first time... It

    was electrifying and has been the team's intro ever since. Still get goose bumps

    thinking about JoMo when they play that

  • @spurticus said:

    I really liked Coach Morrison, but had he not died shortly after the 1988 season, the program

    would have been set back about 5 years. Morrison got our only double digit win season in 1984

    and had two back to back 8 win seasons in '87 and '88 (those I think were our toughest teams ever)

    but we were being investigated for a steroid scandal that implicated Morrison and some of his

    coaching staff at the time. He died of a heart attack in the winter of 1988 and the NCAA basically

    dropped the investigation after that, or at least didn't come down on the school for violations, Some

    of the coaches were charged individually.

    I love what Coach Spurrier has done here at SC. He's got a "ego" for sure and has a tendency

    to get the school in the news for some of his verbal jabs at other schools and coaches, but he's

    done that since his days at Florida, and he's been able to back up his mouth. I have come to learn

    that when Coach Spurrier is talking junk, he's happy about the development of his team, so I like

    it when he's "mouthy". Morrison was a good coach, but had our BOT and Ath. Director been different

    in the early 80s when Jim Carlen was there, I think Carlen would have done things with the program

    that would rival what Spurrier is doing with USC now. Our "powers that be" wanted a yes man in

    charge of the team, and a guy that kissed up to the rich Athletic Club members and Carlen wasn't

    that kind of person. He was very outspoken and when things weren't right, he made them known.

    That's what got the man fired after several 7 and 8 win seasons.... for our program, that was doing

    well back then.

    I was never under the impression that Morrison was anyone's "Yes Man". He sure did not come off that way.

    Are they still doing the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro? Morrison started that I believe.

    @the-gipper said:

    Are they still doing the Also Sprach Zarathustra intro? Morrison started that I believe.

  • I don't think Connor is starting material for the Browns right now. I think Hoyer personally is the guy

    that gives you the best chance of winning right now, or at least making the offense click as good

    as it possibly can. My comments about Shaw were made from a personal "investment" I've had

    by watching Connor play for South Carolina for four years now, and from knowing what kind of

    heart and work ethic he has. He will not regress in his efforts, or get complacent at some point when

    he gets better (and he will get better). He will constantly work on his game and work to improve on

    what he can improve on. Given the chance Shaw will become a very good QB at this level and even

    though I'm a Green Bay Packer fan myself, I'd love to see Connor playing in a Browns Uniform

    or at least get the chance to catch the eye of some other team in the immediate future if he doesn't

    end up staying here. He's a smart kid and a very talented individual. He'll give you 100% of what

    he's got. The man can play !

  • @douche-nozzle said:

    Two foolish issues with the discussion about Shaw:

    1. Everyone says Shaw looked good against the Redskins scrubs....big deal.........the same scrubs Manziel looked like shit against!

    2. Regardless of how bad Hoyer and Manziel looked, you can't turn to Shaw at this point of the season.

    No one is even debating those facts. We are simply talking about a kid on the roster that some day could have a future.

    You never know, people...players...QBs have come out of obscurity to excel. I mean the leading passer, by yards, in Browns history was taken with draft pick #330.

    I mean, your boy Donnie Shell was a UDA in a draft where 442 players were chosen.

    So, quit being such a knuckledragger that cannot understand the spirit of a conversation.

  • I don't think Connor is starting material for the Browns right now. I think Hoyer personally is the guy

    that gives you the best chance of winning right now, or at least making the offense click as good

    as it possibly can. My comments about Shaw were made from a personal "investment" I've had

    by watching Connor play for South Carolina for four years now, and from knowing what kind of

    heart and work ethic he has. He will not regress in his efforts, or get complacent at some point when

    he gets better (and he will get better). He will constantly work on his game and work to improve on

    what he can improve on. Given the chance Shaw will become a very good QB at this level and even

    though I'm a Green Bay Packer fan myself, I'd love to see Connor playing in a Browns Uniform

    or at least get the chance to catch the eye of some other team in the immediate future if he doesn't

    end up staying here. He's a smart kid and a very talented individual. He'll give you 100% of what

    he's got. The man can play !

    @spurticus said:

    I don't think Connor is starting material for the Browns right now. I think Hoyer personally is the guy

    that gives you the best chance of winning right now, or at least making the offense click as good

    as it possibly can. My comments about Shaw were made from a personal "investment" I've had

    by watching Connor play for South Carolina for four years now, and from knowing what kind of

    heart and work ethic he has. He will not regress in his efforts, or get complacent at some point when

    he gets better (and he will get better). He will constantly work on his game and work to improve on

    what he can improve on. Given the chance Shaw will become a very good QB at this level and even

    though I'm a Green Bay Packer fan myself, I'd love to see Connor playing in a Browns Uniform

    or at least get the chance to catch the eye of some other team in the immediate future if he doesn't

    end up staying here. He's a smart kid and a very talented individual. He'll give you 100% of what

    he's got. The man can play !

    Let me guess, you became a Packer fan because of Sterling Sharpe?

    (but you know, my father in law was also a Packer fan as he taught school for many years in Racine Wisc. before retiring to SC in the early 80s. For a while he was a big supporter of SC before health disallowed him from attending the gamest as regular.

    Hell, you may have known him)

    Al Widner.

  • Every Connor Shaw Snap From Last Night.

  • The Con Man bringing down over 72% on Cleveland.com poll on who should start.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/which_quarterback_should_start.html#incart_most-comments

    It's 2014 and the fans want an undrafted free agent to start the season at QB.

    Please, somebody save us ....

    Zombo

  • The Con Man bringing down over 72% on Cleveland.com poll on who should start.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/which_quarterback_should_start.html#incart_most-comments

    It's 2014 and the fans want an undrafted free agent to start the season at QB.

    Please, somebody save us ....

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    The Con Man bringing down over 72% on Cleveland.com poll on who should start.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/which_quarterback_should_start.html#incart_most-comments

    It's 2014 and the fans want an undrafted free agent to start the season at QB.

    Please, somebody save us ....

    Zombo

    Unreal.

  • I was at a bar in Ohio City called Town Hall a few weeks ago and saw a guy in South Carolina Connor Shaw jersey.

    Maybe it's an omen

  • The Con Man bringing down over 72% on Cleveland.com poll on who should start.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/which_quarterback_should_start.html#incart_most-comments

    It's 2014 and the fans want an undrafted free agent to start the season at QB.

    Please, somebody save us ....

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    It's 2014 and the fans want an undrafted free agent to start the season at QB.

    Kurt Warner was an Undrafted Free Agent....

    And Superbowl MVP... 😉

  • Every Connor Shaw Snap From Last Night.

    @lonnie-utah said:

    Every Connor Shaw Snap From Last Night.

    4 Man fronts, No Blitz, Against a 3rd/4th String prevent defense.

    He looked good, but you need to put the situation into some perspective...

    They were actually trying stunts and blitzes against Hoyer and Manziel. Shaw had no such challenges.

  • Zombo said:

    The Con Man bringing down over 72% on Cleveland.com poll on who should start.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/which_quarterback_should_start.html#incart_most-comments

    It's 2014 and the fans want an undrafted free agent to start the season at QB.

    Please, somebody save us ....

    Zombo

    Unreal.

    @usfbrown said:

    Unreal.

    You know what? I take it back. Fuck it. If they play him next game and he still excels, why the hell not? I'm rewatching the game and he's the only guy who looks worth a damn right now.

    Put little johhny in timeout and let's see what shaw can do. Johhny obviously not ready and shaw looked the part. Granted Jake Delhomme had a 100+ rating in preseason, I just don't care anymore. Can't take year after year of shitty qb play.

  • I liked the kid when we drafted him and I think he performed admirably.

    I wonder how long Grossman would stay on the practice squad, probably not very. Can we hire him as an assistant coach? Then we can re sign him if somebody gets hurt?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I liked the kid when we drafted him and I think he performed admirably.

    I wonder how long Grossman would stay on the practice squad, probably not very. Can we hire him as an assistant coach? Then we can re sign him if somebody gets hurt?

    WSS

    Steve- Grossman is ineligible for the practice squad.

    @billy1954 said:

    Shaw never got the real respect he should have got in college and the Browns have to play Johnny. Too much money invested. No bullshit with Shaw. He is just like he was at USC quite and studying the play book . Waiting his turn. He has proved he is quicker and more accurate than Manziel. I know it was a short preview but he is a determined winner and that is what the Browns need. If he is cut I can promise he will be picked right up and it will come back to haunt the Browns. What everybody saw last night well what else can I say.... He's Relentless............

    I said this earlier in the thread. Shaw looked good enough in the cameo appearance, the odds of him sneaking onto the practice squad are remote.

    @spurticus said:

    I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since

    I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make

    the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.

    I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,

    but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that

    kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out

    in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and

    individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's

    impressed SC for four seasons now.

    Pretty sure he's made some NFL roster- I hope it's the Browns.

    @lonnie-utah said:

    Kurt Warner was an Undrafted Free Agent....

    And Superbowl MVP... 😉

    Shhhhh...... You'll get the JF fans mad. That doesn't happen, ya know. Might be why they don't like UDFA Brian Hoyer. Those UFAs can't be any good. FWIW Tony Romo was an UFA too.

  • @lonnie-utah said:

    Every Connor Shaw Snap From Last Night.

    4 Man fronts, No Blitz, Against a 3rd/4th String prevent defense.

    He looked good, but you need to put the situation into some perspective...

    They were actually trying stunts and blitzes against Hoyer and Manziel. Shaw had no such challenges.

    @supertruck97 said:

    4 Man fronts, No Blitz, Against a 3rd/4th String prevent defense.

    He looked good, but you need to put the situation into some perspective...

    They were actually trying stunts and blitzes against Hoyer and Manziel. Shaw had no such challenges.

    Good point but at least he was accurate and seemed in command in the 2 min drill.
  • @supertruck97 said:

    4 Man fronts, No Blitz, Against a 3rd/4th String prevent defense.

    He looked good, but you need to put the situation into some perspective...

    They were actually trying stunts and blitzes against Hoyer and Manziel. Shaw had no such challenges.

    Good point but at least he was accurate and seemed in command in the 2 min drill.

    @usfbrown said:

    Good point but at least he was accurate and seemed in command in the 2 min drill.

    Which can't be said for the other two- I only saw one uncatchable ball, and compared to Hoyer and Manziel it wasn't that far off target.

  • In the oh so infamous words of one Mr BIll......"I can only go by what I see"........

  • @westside-steve said:

    I liked the kid when we drafted him and I think he performed admirably.

    I wonder how long Grossman would stay on the practice squad, probably not very. Can we hire him as an assistant coach? Then we can re sign him if somebody gets hurt?

    WSS

    Steve- Grossman is ineligible for the practice squad.

    @billy1954 said:

    Shaw never got the real respect he should have got in college and the Browns have to play Johnny. Too much money invested. No bullshit with Shaw. He is just like he was at USC quite and studying the play book . Waiting his turn. He has proved he is quicker and more accurate than Manziel. I know it was a short preview but he is a determined winner and that is what the Browns need. If he is cut I can promise he will be picked right up and it will come back to haunt the Browns. What everybody saw last night well what else can I say.... He's Relentless............

    I said this earlier in the thread. Shaw looked good enough in the cameo appearance, the odds of him sneaking onto the practice squad are remote.

    @spurticus said:

    I changed that statement with Shaw being the best I've seen since

    I started following SC sports in 1965. The guy is THAT GOOD. Shaw may not make

    the Browns roster, and may not make an NFL roster, but it won't be for lack of heart.

    I do hope Connor can make an NFL roster. The guy deserves to continue his dream,

    but if he doesn't make it, he will be successful in whatever he does in life. He's that

    kind of character, and has already told Gamecock nation that if it doesn't pan out

    in the NFL, he's going to join the Military. You have a special kind of talent and

    individual there in Connor Shaw. Hope he continues to impress you all the way he's

    impressed SC for four seasons now.

    Pretty sure he's made some NFL roster- I hope it's the Browns.

    @lonnie-utah said:

    Kurt Warner was an Undrafted Free Agent....

    And Superbowl MVP... 😉

    Shhhhh...... You'll get the JF fans mad. That doesn't happen, ya know. Might be why they don't like UDFA Brian Hoyer. Those UFAs can't be any good. FWIW Tony Romo was an UFA too.

    @hoorta said:

    Shhhhh...... You'll get the JF fans mad. That doesn't happen, ya know. Might be why they don't like UDFA Brian Hoyer. Those UFAs can't be any good. FWIW Tony Romo was an UFA too.

    Did a little research today on Heisman winning QB's.....very eye opening indeed........no agenda, just was curious....here's what I found....

    How many QB's have won the Heisman in the last 40 years???......19

    How many of these same 19 Heisman winning QB's were drafted in the 1st round???.....8

    Of the 8 Heisman winning QB's selected in the 1st round, how many were selected to be game #1 starters???.....3

    Of the 3 Heisman winning, first round drafted, game #1 starting QB's, how many have won the Super Bowl???......0

    Ok, Ok...hahaha....lets be fair here....

    Of the 3 Heisman winning, first round drafted, game #1 starting QB's,how many have at least played in a superbowl????......0

    Ok then....lets say they didnt start game one....

    How many of ALL the 19 Heisman winning QB's EVER won a Super Bowl???.....0

    Ok then....

    How many of the whole 19 at least played in a Super Bowl?......0

    Gotta back a full 50 years to find the only 2 Heisman winning QB'S who ever played in or won a Super Bowl to date..(Staubach and Plunkett)....

    I must say these facts were very surprising to me. But the facts is the facts......

    Really.....reading the whole list....Id say there were very few Heisman winners at any position that became true NFL Superstars....there are some, but it's a short list........