Skip to content

Hoyer named starting QB

The Browns Board
124 52 6.3k
  • Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

  • At last

    @Browns: BREAKING: Brian Hoyer to lead Browns, named starting quarterback.

    @londonbrown said:

    At last

    @Browns: BREAKING: Brian Hoyer to lead Browns, named starting quarterback.

    kiss the season goodbye.....homey hoyer ain't got it in him...we've seen that in 2 preseason games.....it's only going to get worse.....

  • @londonbrown said:

    At last

    @Browns: BREAKING: Brian Hoyer to lead Browns, named starting quarterback.

    kiss the season goodbye.....homey hoyer ain't got it in him...we've seen that in 2 preseason games.....it's only going to get worse.....

    jayjay said:

    kiss the season goodbye.....homey hoyer ain't got it in him...we've seen that in 2 preseason games.....it's only going to get worse.....

    Actually I think he's going to do so much better now that the pressure is off him

  • Id love to hear Hoyer say in an interview now that he's ready to tear this league up and then flash the money sign.

  • Why didnt they name Hoyer the starter earlier???.....

    Simply to create competition at camp...... The coaches have said all along that they want to create a competitive atmosphere at camp....they want the players to feel pressure to perform.....they dont want anyone sitting back thinking they got it in the bag(or dont, ftm)....Yes, they favored Hoyer, but I guarantee they would have loved for JFF to step up and take the job.... and they gave him several chances too.....It just didnt happen, that's all.

    It's a competitive league. And if the pressure of competition orces you to screw up, then maybe you're not ready. GREAT players rise to the occasion, while lesser players fold under pressure.....

    Unfortunately, our QB's didnt rise.......BUT, Im behind the coaches for forcing the competition and making the players work for it. I think it HAS helped with Skrine & Gilbert..... Roberts & Kirksey.....Gilkey & Greco......Tate & West.....etc, etc, etc....

    @mudfly said:

    Simply to create competition at camp...

    It's a competitive league. And if the pressure of competition forces you to screw up, then maybe you're not ready. GREAT players rise to the occasion, while lesser players fold under pressure.....

    Unfortunately, our QB's didnt rise.......BUT, Im behind the coaches for forcing the competition and making the players work for it. I think it HAS helped with Skrine & Gilbert..... Roberts & Kirksey.....Gilkey & Greco......Tate & West.....etc, etc, etc....

    Reasonable perspective...

    Perhaps the error was not in the competition, but in the daily QB updates by staff. How much were you made aware of the status of any other "competition" by any coach on any basis other than who started with what team in the games?

  • Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

    I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

  • I know Manzeil has been disappointing, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hoyer. Hoyer has better composure but he is struggling to hit anything past 10 yards. He has had at least 3 passes that should have been picked and he hasn't even played a full games worth of snaps.

    If we want to win now Manzeil starts the season opener.

  • I know Manzeil has been disappointing, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hoyer. Hoyer has better composure but he is struggling to hit anything past 10 yards. He has had at least 3 passes that should have been picked and he hasn't even played a full games worth of snaps.

    If we want to win now Manzeil starts the season opener.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I know Manzeil has been disappointing, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hoyer.

    😆 <--- about the only response I could come up with too that.

  • SHUT THE FUCK UP

  • Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

    I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

    @stocktonshorts said:

    Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

    I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

    If the Browns win, or he plays well when the teams lose. Yea I expect JF to sit the whole year. Maybe last 3 games if we have no shot at playoff.

  • Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

    @johnny-football said:

    Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

    I can actually believe this is John Football.

    Players in the Nfl are faster than those at Duke and Vanderbilt

  • I'm excited to see Hoyer against the Rams Saturday knowing he's the guy. Distractions are behind him now and he can play likely the whole first half with our starters and not doing the stupid alternating series crap.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'm excited to see Hoyer against the Rams Saturday knowing he's the guy. Distractions are behind him now and he can play likely the whole first half with our starters and not doing the stupid alternating series crap.

    ^+1. I'll be there. 🙂

    @tour2ma said:

    Yup... was really the only decision to make.

    While Hoyer did not make the throws against WSH, he remained poised in the pocket and with one exception made the reads. Add that we know he can make the throws and there's the decision.

    While I am still concerned that the pressure of the competition may have gotten to him, hopefully a 3-game commitment (I doubt he gets more) is enough to get him on track.

    Here's to a good week of practice and a solid, home preseason opener...

    Thinking Hoyer was trying to be too perfect with all the pressure on him.

    jayjay said:

    he sure earned it....not....hoyer sucks.....now the browns get to lose their first three games......

    so you reward the hometown sweetheart who played like shit.....oh yeah, that makes sense....

    Yeah, and Manziel could do soooo..... much better. Better listen to Boomer Fan Boy..... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24667689/boomer-esiason-if-manziel-starts-vs-steelers-hell-get-his-ass-kicked

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I know Manzeil has been disappointing, but he is leaps and bounds better than Hoyer. Hoyer has better composure but he is struggling to hit anything past 10 yards. He has had at least 3 passes that should have been picked and he hasn't even played a full games worth of snaps.

    If we want to win now Manzeil starts the season opener.

    Manziel is still struggling big time with the playbook. As above Esiason thinks Manziel "will get killed" if he starts against the Steelers. He couldn't handle the Redskins vanilla blitzes. Care to take a guess what he'd look like against Le Beau's disguised ones? Le Beau is like 13-1 against rookie quarterbacks. Start JFF, and you can make that 14-1.

  • Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

    @johnny-football said:

    Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

    Hey Johnny, kegger tonight!

  • Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

    I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

    @stocktonshorts said:

    Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

    I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

    Do you plan to post this in every thread?

  • It's a 3-game tryout for Hoyer.

  • @stocktonshorts said:

    Nobody expects the pressure to disappear now do they?

    I mean do you think #6 feels like his job is safe all year no matter what?

    Do you plan to post this in every thread?

    @tour2ma said:

    Do you plan to post this in every thread?

    It's what trolls do

  • @johnny-football said:

    Lol @ Browns fans. You guys are so short sighted. I'm not going anywhere. Have fun taking pictures next to my statue in 10 years.

    Hey Johnny, kegger tonight!

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Hey Johnny, kegger tonight!

    I heard you flipped off Pettine when he told you Hoyer was starting.....

  • Manziel is still struggling big time with the playbook. As above Esiason thinks Manziel "will get killed" if he starts against the Steelers. He couldn't handle the Redskins vanilla blitzes. Care to take a guess what he'd look like against Le Beau's disguised ones? Le Beau is like 13-1 against rookie quarterbacks. Start JFF, and you can make that 14-1.

    It's the coaching staffs job to put these guys in the best position to win. If Manzeil is struggling with the playbook he is either not committed and will be a bum, or shannahan needs to pull back the reins.

    The key to us winning is a strong running game and a stout defense. That offense doesn't need to be super complex.

    All I'm saying is Hoyer looks horrible.

  • Manziel is still struggling big time with the playbook. As above Esiason thinks Manziel "will get killed" if he starts against the Steelers. He couldn't handle the Redskins vanilla blitzes. Care to take a guess what he'd look like against Le Beau's disguised ones? Le Beau is like 13-1 against rookie quarterbacks. Start JFF, and you can make that 14-1.

    It's the coaching staffs job to put these guys in the best position to win. If Manzeil is struggling with the playbook he is either not committed and will be a bum, or shannahan needs to pull back the reins.

    The key to us winning is a strong running game and a stout defense. That offense doesn't need to be super complex.

    All I'm saying is Hoyer looks horrible.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    It's the coaching staffs job to put these guys in the best position to win. If Manzeil is struggling with the playbook he is either not committed and will be a bum, or shannahan needs to pull back the reins.

    The key to us winning is a strong running game and a stout defense. That offense doesn't need to be super complex.

    All I'm saying is Hoyer looks horrible.

    No one would disagree that Hoyer doesn't look like he did last year. I'll be the first to admit he's been flat out lousy. Fifty something qbr.

    If Shanahan is trying to fit Manziel to his complex playbook, JF will likely fail.

    One point I hadn't thought of that came up on another forum- there's a possibility Hoyer, Manziel, and the Browns offense looked so horrendous against the Redskins #1 defense is____________ Well, they practiced against Shanahan's offensive scheme all last year, and they were ready for it.