Skip to content

And bortles

The Browns Board
34 16 1.6k
  • We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

    @cvcanedy said:

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

    And I still believe the trade with BUF was an insurance policy for JF failing
  • @cvcanedy said:

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

    And I still believe the trade with BUF was an insurance policy for JF failing

    @comeonman said:

    And I still believe the trade with BUF was an insurance policy for JF failing

    How would they know JF was still going to be around?

  • @cvcanedy said:

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

    And I still believe the trade with BUF was an insurance policy for JF failing

    @comeonman said:

    And I still believe the trade with BUF was an insurance policy for JF failing

    It was never meant to be that because no one could predict JF's free fall, (OK, I did) but that's how it's gonna work out. We got our CB, another 1st rnd pick this year and we (OK, the owner) took a flyer on JF.

  • Instant gratification, no matter how much people want it, usually doesn't happen that often with QB's. You do understand that the NFL doesn't spend much time with preseason practice anymore. They want money from folks to watch the practice in the form of crappy games. Give it time people.

  • We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

    @cvcanedy said:

    I know it's SO obvious after 2 preseason games.

    It was obvious at the beginning of last season when I said it the first time.

    Sorry that it took you so long to see it.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    Is this a joke?

  • We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    How? He was taken before we picked?

  • In Round 3, Id like to see us take Blake Bortles and then BPA OG. Bortles has the qualities you'd like to see in a NFL QB and he's played some great games against top tier talent. Not to mention the fact that he has succeeded behind a subpar line and with questionable talent at his skill positions. Bortles is a guy that I think will find great success on Sundays as long as he's not thrown into the fire from the get-go.

    Getting an OG to start opposite Greco should help shore up our line. Lauvao and Pinkston are decent enough fillers, but neither are starter worthy.

    Then in FA, we go for Browner from Seattle. Seattle is going to have to shell out big money to keep Okung and Thomas, Browner will probably be a cap casualty.

    We hand the reigns to Hoyer and let Bortles wait in the wings. Even if Hoyer proves to be unsuccessful, he'll be a great mentor for Bortles.

    If both QB's suck, we'll be in position and have some firepower to grab Famous Jameis."

    "We/re missing key components but have a good foundation built. Add a franchise QB (please, after today, let it be Bortles), add a RT who doesn't suck hog, get an ILB who can step up and lay some lumber, and get a #2 CB and we'll be set. I think you'll be surprised at how much better our receivers play when we get a good QB in there. "

    "As I've been saying all year, I'm a big fan of Bortles. Moreso than Manziel. I just want to see a fair and rational argument debunking Manziel, not the same bullshit everybody throws around: "Oh, he's a dick and I don't want his weasel face on my team." You say that you're against the premature Manziel love, yet you're spewing premature Manziel hate just as often. Same story, just opposite ends of the Personally, I'd rather see us take Bortles for a multitude of a reasons, but that is neither here nor there.

    "

    "Best case- Bortles

    Worst case- anyone else"

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    How? He was taken before we picked?

    @thenew23 said:

    How? He was taken before we picked?

    Did I miss something here?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    Mike overall I recall TCPO being big time into Bortles not Johnny.
  • I was high on Bortles too, but if I remember correctly he was drafted before we picked. Sort of prompted the trade down I'm sure.

  • I was high on Bortles too, but if I remember correctly he was drafted before we picked. Sort of prompted the trade down I'm sure.

    @thenew23 said:

    I was high on Bortles too, but if I remember correctly he was drafted before we picked. Sort of prompted the trade down I'm sure.

    I didn't realize he was taken first overall.

    My mistake.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Is this a joke?

    @jcam222 said:

    Mike overall I recall TCPO being big time into Bortles not Johnny.

    Hey guys...I stand corrected & my apologies to TCPO.

    Mike

  • Jaguars want to learn from the Gabbert thing that's all. Rushing out Gabbert and Vikings rushing out Ponder!

  • @canton-mike said:

    Wait a minute! You were all about Johnny until he wasn't made the starter after 2 damn exhibition games. Are you KIDDING? I sure hope so.

    Mike

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Is this a joke?

    @jcam222 said:

    Mike overall I recall TCPO being big time into Bortles not Johnny.

    Hey guys...I stand corrected & my apologies to TCPO.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Hey guys...I stand corrected & my apologies to TCPO.

    Mike

    To be fair, I've been in Manziel's corner since we drafted him, so I could see where you were coming from.

    I'm just a fan of Roethlisberger's combination of size and style of play, personally. That's why I was really big on Bortles.

    Manziel at least has the same improvisational skills, just in a much smaller package. But, straight up, I'd take Bortles over Manziel any day of the week.

  • We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We really, really missed the boat on getting a franchise quarterback.

    Tad premature... but so far so good...

    Had to chuckle at the accuracy of the non-QB portions of your draft/ FA analysis... OG... CB... RT... No surprise that the pieces obtained are different, but the needs were on the mark.

    Now maybe we just need that RT... and a couple true, 3-4 OLBs...

    @thenew23 said:

    I was high on Bortles too, but if I remember correctly he was drafted before we picked. Sort of prompted the trade down I'm sure.

    Have we ever heard anything to indicate the FO was poised to take Bortles at #4?

  • Prior to the draft, Farmer said there was "a" quarterback that he was interested in.....but then declined to say he if would take him at 4.....

    Gotta believe, with as desperate as we are for a QB, that he wouldn't pass up the chance to grab "the one" at #8....right?

    So, personally I think he wanted Bortles at 4 and then, when he got picked, they went to plan B........

  • Prior to the draft, Farmer said there was "a" quarterback that he was interested in.....but then declined to say he if would take him at 4.....

    Gotta believe, with as desperate as we are for a QB, that he wouldn't pass up the chance to grab "the one" at #8....right?

    So, personally I think he wanted Bortles at 4 and then, when he got picked, they went to plan B........

    @mudfly said:

    Prior to the draft, Farmer said there was "a" quarterback that he was interested in.....but then declined to say he if would take him at 4.....

    Gotta believe, with as desperate as we are for a QB, that he wouldn't pass up the chance to grab "the one" at #8....right?

    So, personally I think he wanted Bortles at 4 and then, when he got picked, they went to plan B........

    I'd forgotten that... makes Bortles at #4 a plausible scenario, but...

    The QB of interest could have also been JM. Farmer also said that they'd done their homework and had a good sense of who was going when.

    We may have to wait for Ray's memoir...