Skip to content

Ravens Week: 2014 Part 1

The Browns Board
58 27 2.3k
  • If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

    @gftchris said:

    If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

    Well, San Diego beat the all mighty Seahawks. And Da Bears beat SF.

  • I feel better, but am still concerned... Especially concerned about the Ravens' physical Defensive play. Aside from a brief, failed Steeler effort to get physical, it is not something we've faced. Ngata is still the NT/DT I fear the most. A physically aggressive D will be a new test for our Zone blocking O-line.

    I'll feel even better if we can get back a couple of our nicked front 7 so we can rotate in fresh bodies.

    Otherwise:

    Their line has been together a while now. No more Oher weak link.

    We are outrushing them, but Pierce and Forsett are capable.

    Sacks are about even.

    Smith and Smith are better than any WR tandem we've seen.

    While they have no Graham-like TE, Pitta and Owen Daniels are a strong pair.

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    Still need more hopium here...

    This is going to be a war...

    @tour2ma said:

    .

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

  • @tour2ma said:

    .

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

    @clevfan4life said:

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

  • If Flacco throws the ball 62 times like he did in Cincy we could have 9 picks. (Bit of and exaggeration.)Browns win a defensive battle 17-13

  • @clevfan4life said:

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

    Suggs says JT is the toughest tackle for him in the entire league, so there's some respect there. Don't think he gives JT "fits" but he does get in every so often. Suggs has fallen off some though, he wasn't what he used to be. Dumer has also fallen off a bit, kind of glad now we didn't go after him. At the time I was like oh please fucking god no don't let him end up in Blt cause Denver shuffled some papers wrong. But it is what it is. If our defense is in Flacco's face we win. Period. Without Ray Rice to fall back on they have to throw. Which is fine if we can get around their tackles. This is a bigger game though than I originally thought it was going to be cause of that bye week. This game could very well set the tone for the rest of the season. For sure the Browns need this game to prove something to the North. This would be a huge win at home and tell the Steelers what they're in for in October. And also it tells Cincy that they have a fight coming up too in case they thought the North was theirs.

    @tour2ma said:

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

  • On Defense:

    Make Flacco beat us with his arm. We HAVE to be better against the run this week, while also staying back and respecting the screen pass. Haden/Gilbert will equalize Smith/Smith. What's left is going to be safeties and LBs covering their 2 very capable TEs. I expect to see more base 3-4 defense this week with A.Bryant, Rubin, and Taylor on the field along with 4 LBs. If we can stop the run and get a lead, our guys A.Bryant, Kruger, Mingo, and Sheard can pin their ears back and tee off on Flacco...

    On Offense:

    Run the ball to set up play action, to move the chains. Just keep the same stuff going that we've been doing the past 6 quarters. Mix in some hurry-up to keep their big guys on the field early in the game, so they're worn out later in the game. Run the ball. Run the ball. Run the ball. It wouldn't hurt to see Cameron out there too.

    I think Flacco will have 2 TOs. Their run game will be shut down. Our offense will remain balanced. We will hold them to FGs, while we'll get a few necessary TDs to win a close one at home... I'll predict a score in a few days...

  • 3-4? Depending on how you count Kruger we can either be in it all the time or not at all...

    Kruger is going to want to play just that little bit harder this week...

    Agree.... make Flacco move and you diminish him. He's not the run threat Brees was (or Ben for that matter), so I expect more aggression this week.

    I feel like Skrine is the better match up for Smith Sr's quicks... Haden draws Tory.

    Save Gilbert for Marlon (6'5) Brown or Jacoby (6'2) Jones... or even Pitta if they go 2 TE/ 2 WR sets.

    Offense... sure our approach has to be the same, but I do not expect the passive defensive approach that dominated the Saints and Steeler games. More screens may be in order... we almost popped a TE screen last week. Vacarro made a great play to stop it, but a quicker TE named JordCam just might have...

  • Suggs says JT is the toughest tackle for him in the entire league, so there's some respect there. Don't think he gives JT "fits" but he does get in every so often. Suggs has fallen off some though, he wasn't what he used to be. Dumer has also fallen off a bit, kind of glad now we didn't go after him. At the time I was like oh please fucking god no don't let him end up in Blt cause Denver shuffled some papers wrong. But it is what it is. If our defense is in Flacco's face we win. Period. Without Ray Rice to fall back on they have to throw. Which is fine if we can get around their tackles. This is a bigger game though than I originally thought it was going to be cause of that bye week. This game could very well set the tone for the rest of the season. For sure the Browns need this game to prove something to the North. This would be a huge win at home and tell the Steelers what they're in for in October. And also it tells Cincy that they have a fight coming up too in case they thought the North was theirs.

    @tour2ma said:

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Suggs says JT is the toughest tackle for him in the entire league, so there's some respect there. Don't think he gives JT "fits" but he does get in every so often. Suggs has fallen off some though, he wasn't what he used to be. Dumer has also fallen off a bit... If our defense is in Flacco's face we win. Period. Without Ray Rice to fall back on they have to throw.

    Mutual respect... just like around here... 😉

    Suggs seems healthier than he's been in a while... early season energy perhaps. He's still one of those "have to account for" guys.

    I've never been a Dumervil guy... He was an undersized DE, pass rush specialist in DNV that the Ravs stood up... right?

    Make Flacco move... knock him down... yup. Like I said above, he's no run threat, so dial up some blitzin'...

    Pierce looked decent last week (not so much week 1... hardly played after an early fumble), but don't sleep on Forsett. The dude looks positively reborn this year...

  • For us to win this game, our tackling HAS to improve.

    Allowing a receiver to gain 15-20 yards after the catch because we're not wrapping up and

    bringing the runner down is eventually going to catch up to us.

    I watched the Steeler/Ravens game last Thursday, and the one thing that got my

    attention was that when Antonio Brown or Heath Miller caught a pass, they were

    immediately hit hard and brought down on the spot. It doesn't stop with our DB's--

    I've seen the front seven allow several 2 or 3 yard losses become 1 or 2 yard or no gains.

    It's worrisome to me because poor tackling isn't something that normally suddenly improves

    in the middle of the season.

  • Both Suggs and Dumervil are one trick ponies at this stage in their careers. Dumervil absued Gilbert with the bullrush, because...well that fuckin' guy can't maintain his leverage.

    Here's some words for hope. The Ravens had zero sacks and zero turnovers against the Bungles. While I will concede that Cincy has a fine team this year, their Oline isn't much better than ours.

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

  • For us to win this game, our tackling HAS to improve.

    Allowing a receiver to gain 15-20 yards after the catch because we're not wrapping up and

    bringing the runner down is eventually going to catch up to us.

    I watched the Steeler/Ravens game last Thursday, and the one thing that got my

    attention was that when Antonio Brown or Heath Miller caught a pass, they were

    immediately hit hard and brought down on the spot. It doesn't stop with our DB's--

    I've seen the front seven allow several 2 or 3 yard losses become 1 or 2 yard or no gains.

    It's worrisome to me because poor tackling isn't something that normally suddenly improves

    in the middle of the season.

    @dste-ace said:

    For us to win this game, our tackling HAS to improve.

    It's worrisome to me because poor tackling isn't something that normally suddenly improves

    in the middle of the season.

    The tackling looked better just from game one to game two. While it's not perfect, I dont see it as a huge problem either.

    Lucky thing it's only the second game and not the 'middle of the season'.

  • Both Suggs and Dumervil are one trick ponies at this stage in their careers. Dumervil absued Gilbert with the bullrush, because...well that fuckin' guy can't maintain his leverage.

    Here's some words for hope. The Ravens had zero sacks and zero turnovers against the Bungles. While I will concede that Cincy has a fine team this year, their Oline isn't much better than ours.

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

    @tiamat63 said:

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

    Stop run and guard against PAP is easier said than done.

    Do you have a preference on our CB/ bird WR match-ups?

  • Both Suggs and Dumervil are one trick ponies at this stage in their careers. Dumervil absued Gilbert with the bullrush, because...well that fuckin' guy can't maintain his leverage.

    Here's some words for hope. The Ravens had zero sacks and zero turnovers against the Bungles. While I will concede that Cincy has a fine team this year, their Oline isn't much better than ours.

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Both Suggs and Dumervil are one trick ponies at this stage in their careers. Dumervil absued Gilbert with the bullrush, because...well that fuckin' guy can't maintain his leverage.

    Here's some words for hope. The Ravens had zero sacks and zero turnovers against the Bungles. While I will concede that Cincy has a fine team this year, their Oline isn't much better than ours.

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

    Bungles haven't given up a sack in two games and Andy Dalton was not hit once against Atlanta ... Not touched once. No wonder that Falcons guy wants our pass rushers.

    Z

  • @tiamat63 said:

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

    Stop run and guard against PAP is easier said than done.

    Do you have a preference on our CB/ bird WR match-ups?

    @tour2ma said:

    Stop run and guard against PAP is easier said than done.

    Do you have a preference on our CB/ bird WR match-ups?

    If this Dline is as good as some say and the issue is schematic, then stopping the run should be a task their up for.

    As for my personal preference, Haden on Smitty, Skrine/Gilbert on Torrey. Smitty has lost a stop but he's still strong as an ox and that's right up Haden's alley.

    Also, Flacco seems to have built a great rapport with him, hence the high targets.

  • This game worries me alot. I think bmores run defense may be the first big task for this offense. And this offense is predicated off running the football and play action. If you cant run the ball play action doesnt work. Also the browns run defense has been REALLY bad and bmore is now running the same offense as the browns, kubiak is one of shanny jrs mentors, gary k learned from shanny sr in denver. If any of you watched the steeler raven game then u saw bmore run the ball at will with the zone scheme vs stoolers. I see the defense keeping them close but its gonna be tough. Hoyer will have to really step up to win this game and having cameron in the lineup will be huge. I think we win this one by screen plays and taking some shots deep. Also the defense must stop the run and flacos big play ability. Gonna be a really tough one.

  • This game worries me alot. I think bmores run defense may be the first big task for this offense. And this offense is predicated off running the football and play action. If you cant run the ball play action doesnt work. Also the browns run defense has been REALLY bad and bmore is now running the same offense as the browns, kubiak is one of shanny jrs mentors, gary k learned from shanny sr in denver. If any of you watched the steeler raven game then u saw bmore run the ball at will with the zone scheme vs stoolers. I see the defense keeping them close but its gonna be tough. Hoyer will have to really step up to win this game and having cameron in the lineup will be huge. I think we win this one by screen plays and taking some shots deep. Also the defense must stop the run and flacos big play ability. Gonna be a really tough one.

    @ithika said:

    This game worries me alot. I think bmores run defense may be the first big task for this offense. And this offense is predicated off running the football and play action. If you cant run the ball play action doesnt work. Also the browns run defense has been REALLY bad and bmore is now running the same offense as the browns, kubiak is one of shanny jrs mentors, gary k learned from shanny sr in denver. If any of you watched the steeler raven game then u saw bmore run the ball at will with the zone scheme vs stoolers. I see the defense keeping them close but its gonna be tough. Hoyer will have to really step up to win this game and having cameron in the lineup will be huge. I think we win this one by screen plays and taking some shots deep. Also the defense must stop the run and flacos big play ability. Gonna be a really tough one.

    To the contrary, having an OC with intimate knowledge of the opposing offenses mindset will work wonders for both sides DC. It basically comes down to play makers making plays at that point. I'm hoping the defense takes the next step forward. I would expect a low(er) scoring affair this go around.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Both Suggs and Dumervil are one trick ponies at this stage in their careers. Dumervil absued Gilbert with the bullrush, because...well that fuckin' guy can't maintain his leverage.

    Here's some words for hope. The Ravens had zero sacks and zero turnovers against the Bungles. While I will concede that Cincy has a fine team this year, their Oline isn't much better than ours.

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.

    Bungles haven't given up a sack in two games and Andy Dalton was not hit once against Atlanta ... Not touched once. No wonder that Falcons guy wants our pass rushers.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    Bungles haven't given up a sack in two games and Andy Dalton was not hit once against Atlanta ... Not touched once. No wonder that Falcons guy wants our pass rushers.

    Well... maybe once...

    Andy got popped pretty good on his TD pass to Sanu. Took an all-out blitz to get to him, but they did. Gingers the world over are proud of how one of theirs stood in there...

  • This game worries me alot. I think bmores run defense may be the first big task for this offense. And this offense is predicated off running the football and play action. If you cant run the ball play action doesnt work. Also the browns run defense has been REALLY bad and bmore is now running the same offense as the browns, kubiak is one of shanny jrs mentors, gary k learned from shanny sr in denver. If any of you watched the steeler raven game then u saw bmore run the ball at will with the zone scheme vs stoolers. I see the defense keeping them close but its gonna be tough. Hoyer will have to really step up to win this game and having cameron in the lineup will be huge. I think we win this one by screen plays and taking some shots deep. Also the defense must stop the run and flacos big play ability. Gonna be a really tough one.

    @ithika said:

    ... kubiak is one of shanny jrs mentors, gary k learned from shanny sr in denver. If any of you watched the steeler raven game then u saw bmore run the ball at will with the zone scheme vs stoolers. I see the defense keeping them close but its gonna be tough. Hoyer will have to really step up to win this game and having cameron in the lineup will be huge. I think we win this one by screen plays and taking some shots deep. Also the defense must stop the run and flacos big play ability. Gonna be a really tough one.

    Well... I was starting to feel better...

    Good point on Kubiak...

    Very tough...

    Very even...

    Game just may come down to home field and our crowd getting loud.

  • Pettines press conference today was very telling. He was asked if the shanny and kubiak offenses were the same? He said that the running schemes and play action boots are very similar but the 3rd down passing is very different. He didnt say but plus I dont think kubiak runs the pistol. He also said the saint running success was by design because theyd rather give up the run than big plays to bress. so he sounded fairly confident in the run defense, but ill believe it when I see it.

  • Pettines press conference today was very telling. He was asked if the shanny and kubiak offenses were the same? He said that the running schemes and play action boots are very similar but the 3rd down passing is very different. He didnt say but plus I dont think kubiak runs the pistol. He also said the saint running success was by design because theyd rather give up the run than big plays to bress. so he sounded fairly confident in the run defense, but ill believe it when I see it.