Skip to content

Mingo

The Browns Board
62 25 2.9k
  • I'm starting to get very worried about this guy

    @londonbrown said:

    I'm starting to get very worried about this guy

    I think by mid season, if he does not improve, he can officially be declared a bust........and the entire Lombardi draft history here can be declared a bust.......and why would that be a surprise to anyone?

  • I would trade Mingo while he still has potential untapped value. It's his 2nd year.. and he's no where close to "getting it, or..getting it done"

  • He's all over the field but never where he should be. Never the guy making the initial tackle. Gets pushed around. He was the "freak athlete" pick like JPP. At least JPP had one good year.

    Not ready to give up on him yet, but he's been really disappointing so far.

  • I questioned Mingo's tackling (or lack of) prior to the draft & I have seen literally NO improvement. At this point, I tend to agree with Gipper, but I don't agree with many about his lack of strength & size as he is 6'5" 241 lbs. Conversely, Jack Lambert was 6'4" & 220 lbs. Mingo is simply a HORRIBLE tackler, a "grabber", & arm tackles won't stop anybody in the NFL. I love his athleticism, but he HAS to improve his technique.

    Just an old guy's opinion.

    Mike

  • For me I see a lack of discipline. He's starting year 2 of a new position he literally never saw at LSU. So instead of playing within himself and the defense, he's constantly in attack mode to make up for the fact he's accustomed to making plays.

    It's extremely difficult to play your entire career with your hand in the ground and told to either get after the ball carrier or get after the QB - compared to now, where he's being asked to maintain a cut back cap assignment, not get too far upfield, read for a check down leak and drop into a flat or curl zone.

    For anyone that was expecting consistent play before year 3, then you've honestly never seen DE's jump from college to the pro.

    The only reason Von miller was so successful early on is that he was accustomed to the joker position at A&M. Aldon Smith mostly had his hand in the ground and was a total liability against the run his first two years. I see those same traits with Mingo. It takes time. Lots of time.

  • why are we grading Mingo on tackling? All OLB'ers in the 3-4 will make the tackles from behind because that's the position their put in. Kruger's been doing the same why is no one thinking about that? If you're an OLB'er and doing your job in run defense, you've held up at the point and if the runner goes to the outside you lunge at him to push him wide, if he goes inside you release off your blocker and try to dive at his back. Just trip him up in some way. OLB'ers are not expected to meet the runners in the hole, why are all of you missing that? You know who's responsibility it is to meet the runners in the hole and blow them up? The ILB'ers...which on our team mean Karlos Dansby and Christian Kirksey. Both of whom have been getting gashed by RB's so far this season. I'd let it slide if the name Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles was in there somewhere...but we've had 2nd, 3rd and annoyingly, a 4th stringer last sunday, blow us the fuck up. Dansby is not who we hoped he would be up to this point. So far DQ is having a better season in Indy it looks like, and I don't think that defense is as loaded as ours is..especially with Mathis out.

  • He's all over the field but never where he should be. Never the guy making the initial tackle. Gets pushed around. He was the "freak athlete" pick like JPP. At least JPP had one good year.

    Not ready to give up on him yet, but he's been really disappointing so far.

    @usfbrown said:

    He's all over the field but never where he should be. Never the guy making the initial tackle. Gets pushed around. He was the "freak athlete" pick like JPP. At least JPP had one good year.

    Not ready to give up on him yet, but he's been really disappointing so far.

    You are correct. He can get ANYWHERE on the field with his atheltic ability. But the teams we face use that against him. He seems like he has NOOOOOOOOOO idea what a defensive concept is. He lamost plays "kill the guy with the ball" But in the NFL the guy with the ball is usauly going the other way

  • well get the trade thing outta your head cuz pettine and o'brien coveted this guy when they were in buffallo so.......

    the whole new scheme thing every other year has got to have a negative effect on everyone.

    why does it have to be a specific scheme? let these guys play where and how they feel comfortable.

    quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

  • well get the trade thing outta your head cuz pettine and o'brien coveted this guy when they were in buffallo so.......

    the whole new scheme thing every other year has got to have a negative effect on everyone.

    why does it have to be a specific scheme? let these guys play where and how they feel comfortable.

    quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

    @miktoxic said:

    well get the trade thing outta your head cuz pettine and o'brien coveted this guy when they were in buffallo so.......

    the whole new scheme thing every other year has got to have a negative effect on everyone.

    why does it have to be a specific scheme? let these guys play where and how they feel comfortable.

    quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

    What hole does Mingo fill?

    He is obviously NOT doing well in the defense we are running now. And he didn't work well in the defense they ran last year

  • ok trade him for what? one year under chud (who suckz ballz) and 3 games under pettine and the guy's a bum?

    c'mon man.

  • ok trade him for what? one year under chud (who suckz ballz) and 3 games under pettine and the guy's a bum?

    c'mon man.

    @miktoxic said:

    ok trade him for what? one year under chud (who suckz ballz) and 3 games under pettine and the guy's a bum?

    c'mon man.

    yes. He's a bum

    no one will trade for him, so just make him play special teams and backup somewhere on defense.

    we obviously need help in both spots

  • I questioned Mingo's tackling (or lack of) prior to the draft & I have seen literally NO improvement. At this point, I tend to agree with Gipper, but I don't agree with many about his lack of strength & size as he is 6'5" 241 lbs. Conversely, Jack Lambert was 6'4" & 220 lbs. Mingo is simply a HORRIBLE tackler, a "grabber", & arm tackles won't stop anybody in the NFL. I love his athleticism, but he HAS to improve his technique.

    Just an old guy's opinion.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Just an old guy's opinion.

    The best kind of opinions...

    IMO...

    @browns149 said:

    You are correct. He can get ANYWHERE on the field with his atheltic ability.

    @tiamat63 said:

    For me I see a lack of discipline.

    The only reason Von miller was so successful early on is that he was accustomed to the joker position at A&M.

    Agree on the discipline angle. I doubt Les asked him to do much at LSU beyond raise hell and react.

    While I think Mingo is "athletic", he earns that description due to his speed and acceleration.

    I think Miller makes for an interesting comparison. I think Von came into the league stronger and better proportioned with more agility than Mingo. I think Von's agility makes him the better athelete.

    Both players had similar combine results in dash times (identical at 10 yds), identical verticals and close standing broads. So if you believe in those things, both are close in "explosiveness".

    But Von smoked Barky in the shuttle and came close to doing the same in the 3-cone. I think the agility these show has led Von to greater early success in the NFL as much as anything.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70987&draftyear=2011&genpos=olb

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89707&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

  • His attempt at a spin move to get to Flacco on Sunday was embarrassing, was on his arse within seconds. Weak as shit!

  • insanity.

    you have all lost your minds.

  • why are we grading Mingo on tackling? All OLB'ers in the 3-4 will make the tackles from behind because that's the position their put in. Kruger's been doing the same why is no one thinking about that? If you're an OLB'er and doing your job in run defense, you've held up at the point and if the runner goes to the outside you lunge at him to push him wide, if he goes inside you release off your blocker and try to dive at his back. Just trip him up in some way. OLB'ers are not expected to meet the runners in the hole, why are all of you missing that? You know who's responsibility it is to meet the runners in the hole and blow them up? The ILB'ers...which on our team mean Karlos Dansby and Christian Kirksey. Both of whom have been getting gashed by RB's so far this season. I'd let it slide if the name Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles was in there somewhere...but we've had 2nd, 3rd and annoyingly, a 4th stringer last sunday, blow us the fuck up. Dansby is not who we hoped he would be up to this point. So far DQ is having a better season in Indy it looks like, and I don't think that defense is as loaded as ours is..especially with Mathis out.

    @clevfan4life said:

    why are we grading Mingo on tackling? All OLB'ers in the 3-4 will make the tackles from behind because that's the position their put in. Kruger's been doing the same why is no one thinking about that? If you're an OLB'er and doing your job in run defense, you've held up at the point and if the runner goes to the outside you lunge at him to push him wide, if he goes inside you release off your blocker and try to dive at his back. Just trip him up in some way. OLB'ers are not expected to meet the runners in the hole, why are all of you missing that? You know who's responsibility it is to meet the runners in the hole and blow them up? The ILB'ers...which on our team mean Karlos Dansby and Christian Kirksey. Both of whom have been getting gashed by RB's so far this season. I'd let it slide if the name Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles was in there somewhere...but we've had 2nd, 3rd and annoyingly, a 4th stringer last sunday, blow us the fuck up. Dansby is not who we hoped he would be up to this point. So far DQ is having a better season in Indy it looks like, and I don't think that defense is as loaded as ours is..especially with Mathis out.

    Yeah totally agree buy a huge part of being a defensive player is the ability to tackle no matter what position you are.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Just an old guy's opinion.

    The best kind of opinions...

    IMO...

    @browns149 said:

    You are correct. He can get ANYWHERE on the field with his atheltic ability.

    @tiamat63 said:

    For me I see a lack of discipline.

    The only reason Von miller was so successful early on is that he was accustomed to the joker position at A&M.

    Agree on the discipline angle. I doubt Les asked him to do much at LSU beyond raise hell and react.

    While I think Mingo is "athletic", he earns that description due to his speed and acceleration.

    I think Miller makes for an interesting comparison. I think Von came into the league stronger and better proportioned with more agility than Mingo. I think Von's agility makes him the better athelete.

    Both players had similar combine results in dash times (identical at 10 yds), identical verticals and close standing broads. So if you believe in those things, both are close in "explosiveness".

    But Von smoked Barky in the shuttle and came close to doing the same in the 3-cone. I think the agility these show has led Von to greater early success in the NFL as much as anything.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70987&draftyear=2011&genpos=olb

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89707&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

    @tour2ma said:

    The best kind of opinions...

    IMO...

    Agree on the discipline angle. I doubt Les asked him to do much at LSU beyond raise hell and react.

    While I think Mingo is "athletic", he earns that description due to his speed and acceleration.

    I think Miller makes for an interesting comparison. I think Von came into the league stronger and better proportioned with more agility than Mingo. I think Von's agility makes him the better athelete.

    Both players had similar combine results in dash times (identical at 10 yds), identical verticals and close standing broads. So if you believe in those things, both are close in "explosiveness".

    But Von smoked Barky in the shuttle and came close to doing the same in the 3-cone. I think the agility these show has led Von to greater early success in the NFL as much as anything.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70987&draftyear=2011&genpos=olb

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89707&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

    Yea, but remember, a lot of Von Miller's performance was "enhanced".

  • @tour2ma said:

    The best kind of opinions...

    IMO...

    Agree on the discipline angle. I doubt Les asked him to do much at LSU beyond raise hell and react.

    While I think Mingo is "athletic", he earns that description due to his speed and acceleration.

    I think Miller makes for an interesting comparison. I think Von came into the league stronger and better proportioned with more agility than Mingo. I think Von's agility makes him the better athelete.

    Both players had similar combine results in dash times (identical at 10 yds), identical verticals and close standing broads. So if you believe in those things, both are close in "explosiveness".

    But Von smoked Barky in the shuttle and came close to doing the same in the 3-cone. I think the agility these show has led Von to greater early success in the NFL as much as anything.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70987&draftyear=2011&genpos=olb

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89707&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

    Yea, but remember, a lot of Von Miller's performance was "enhanced".

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, but remember, a lot of Von Miller's performance was "enhanced".

    I do not believe I exaggerated one iota... 😉

  • He's all over the field but never where he should be. Never the guy making the initial tackle. Gets pushed around. He was the "freak athlete" pick like JPP. At least JPP had one good year.

    Not ready to give up on him yet, but he's been really disappointing so far.

    @usfbrown said:

    He's all over the field but never where he should be. Never the guy making the initial tackle. Gets pushed around. He was the "freak athlete" pick like JPP. At least JPP had one good year.

    Not ready to give up on him yet, but he's been really disappointing so far.

    I agree, but would cut ties with him now.
  • Courtney Brown.

    🙁

    WSS

  • @clevfan4life said:

    why are we grading Mingo on tackling? All OLB'ers in the 3-4 will make the tackles from behind because that's the position their put in. Kruger's been doing the same why is no one thinking about that? If you're an OLB'er and doing your job in run defense, you've held up at the point and if the runner goes to the outside you lunge at him to push him wide, if he goes inside you release off your blocker and try to dive at his back. Just trip him up in some way. OLB'ers are not expected to meet the runners in the hole, why are all of you missing that? You know who's responsibility it is to meet the runners in the hole and blow them up? The ILB'ers...which on our team mean Karlos Dansby and Christian Kirksey. Both of whom have been getting gashed by RB's so far this season. I'd let it slide if the name Adrian Peterson or Jamaal Charles was in there somewhere...but we've had 2nd, 3rd and annoyingly, a 4th stringer last sunday, blow us the fuck up. Dansby is not who we hoped he would be up to this point. So far DQ is having a better season in Indy it looks like, and I don't think that defense is as loaded as ours is..especially with Mathis out.

    Yeah totally agree buy a huge part of being a defensive player is the ability to tackle no matter what position you are.

    Well he tackles just fine when he's there to make the tackle. My point was that against the run his job is to seal the outside and funnel everything in. Last year he had a big problem with that, doesn't seem to be "too bad" this year...although obviously the other two guys are gonna be the big run stoppers. When Mingo is in his job should be to pass rush and cover guys out of the backfield or blanket some TE's....and be passable in run defense. Against run heavy teams Mingo should not be on the field on 1st and 2nd downs much...he should come in on 3rd downs or otherwise passing situations. But asking our OLB'ers to make plays against the run on the inside is ridiculous and gonna get them or one of our lineman hurt by them crashing down into the pile. Like I mentioned last sunday I saw kruger trying to desperately spin to the inside to make a play on the runner who was going inside of the tackle every time and getting big yards. That's putting himself out of position and potentially leading to an injury. Releasing off your guy and diving at the back of a runner is one thing, but to try to get infront of the runner after you've sealed the outside is absolutely not something you want your edges doing. That's when a good RB will bounce and now you're looking at huge yards.

    Our lack of run defense is in some part on the defensive line, but in MOST part the ILB'ers. I don't know why all of you are so hesitant to call out Dansby for this. He's the defensive captain....he should be drooling in people's faces he's so mad about a 4th stringer making them look stupid.

    @usfbrown said:

    Yeah totally agree buy a huge part of being a defensive player is the ability to tackle no matter what position you are.