Skip to content

Do juiced-up Steelers teams deserve asterisks?

The Browns Board
231 30 12.0k
  • Because ONE team doing it in 1963 does NOT prove that many other teams did it at all during 1963, let alone during the rest of the '60s or even '70s.

    What would you expect out of a team using steroids at an alarming rate, way more than any other team? A defensive intensity that is simply impossible to overcome. Also known as, the six superbowls the Steelers have supposedly "won." More specifically, the Steel curtain of the 70s, and the number one defenses of both 05 and 08.

    All you've got to to do is watch them play in one of their best seasons and it's blatently obvious that those players are differently built and differently intensified than the team they're playing against.

    Case in point : James Harrison.

    Besides, if all the other teams used them too, wouldn't they have tons and tons of players dying before the age of 50, and a book about false glory, and a doctor caught buying steroids on his personal credit card?

    One other team has been caught -- the 63 Chargers. And they're out. So are the 70s Steelers. That's all there is.

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @dtbh said:

    Because ONE team doing it in 1963 does NOT prove that many other teams did it at all during 1963, let alone during the rest of the '60s or even '70s.

    What would you expect out of a team using steroids at an alarming rate, way more than any other team? A defensive intensity that is simply impossible to overcome. Also known as, the six superbowls the Steelers have supposedly "won." More specifically, the Steel curtain of the 70s, and the number one defenses of both 05 and 08.

    All you've got to to do is watch them play in one of their best seasons and it's blatently obvious that those players are differently built and differently intensified than the team they're playing against.

    Case in point : James Harrison.

    Besides, if all the other teams used them too, wouldn't they have tons and tons of players dying before the age of 50, and a book about false glory, and a doctor caught buying steroids on his personal credit card?

    One other team has been caught -- the 63 Chargers. And they're out. So are the 70s Steelers. That's all there is.

    I guess Shuan Roger does roids becuase he usually beats the center when going up against them 1-on-1.....

  • FurnierF Furnier wrote on last edited by

    JosephSixpack said:

    Oh believe me, you've been wrong about a LOT of things. Just read the posts here, and you'll see. Hey ya might even learn something, ya never know.

    I've learned LOTS of things here over the years....even from you. I learned that by reading your posts that there were undiscovered and inconceivable levels of ignorance and stupidty below that which I previously thought possible.

    Doug

  • JosephSixpack said:

    Oh believe me, you've been wrong about a LOT of things. Just read the posts here, and you'll see. Hey ya might even learn something, ya never know.

    I've learned LOTS of things here over the years....even from you. I learned that by reading your posts that there were undiscovered and inconceivable levels of ignorance and stupidty below that which I previously thought possible.

    Doug

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @furnier said:

    I've learned LOTS of things here over the years....even from you. I learned that by reading your posts that there were undiscovered and inconceivable levels of ignorance and stupidty below that which I previously thought possible.

    Doug

    Like blindly accusing whatever Steeler you want of doing roids?.....

    Like accusing Steeler fans of hoping Willis McGahee dies dispite all the fans yelling "good luck" and "get well"....

    Like Browns fans cheering Bens head and neck injury while he lay motionless on the ground and becoming enraged when he gave a thumbs up to show he is okay?....

    Like blaming cheating, refs, steriods or whatever they can think of EVERY time Steeler win a game?.....

    Like say Ben was dumb for crashing his bike, while Winslow was still on the team?....

    Like saying Steeler fans are redneck for an unexplained reason, and ignoring the question, "How can an urban city be redneck"?....

    etc, etc, etc....

    Yeah, there is a lot of " inconceivable levels of ignorance and stupidty below that which I previously thought possible" on this board. 😆

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    JosephSixpack said:

    And ya know, I used to think you dudes were just busting nuts... but apparently you actually do believe these fairy tales. Which is why we had to bring the Chargers story to light. And the list of all the guys who were juicing long before the Steelers put on unis in the '70s.

    Joe you're gonna need novacaine to stay in this thread because you're a pussy. The Steelers were the FIRST team to go widespread with it. It's a FACT. It's why they've had more funerals for guys under 50 than any other team. What's NEXT? The SI articles counting Steeler burials were written by a Browns' fan? The former Steeler who wrote False Glory said the ONLY steroids in his previous locker-room prior to Pittsburgh were his. Then in Pittsburgh, if you were a linemen that couldn't bench press over 500 pounds at a time this was unthinkable - you were an exception to the rule of "win at all costs."

    Like I said before, the early burials weren't worth the counterfeit rings. We don't play pretend here.

    - Tom F.

  • JosephSixpack said:

    And ya know, I used to think you dudes were just busting nuts... but apparently you actually do believe these fairy tales. Which is why we had to bring the Chargers story to light. And the list of all the guys who were juicing long before the Steelers put on unis in the '70s.

    Joe you're gonna need novacaine to stay in this thread because you're a pussy. The Steelers were the FIRST team to go widespread with it. It's a FACT. It's why they've had more funerals for guys under 50 than any other team. What's NEXT? The SI articles counting Steeler burials were written by a Browns' fan? The former Steeler who wrote False Glory said the ONLY steroids in his previous locker-room prior to Pittsburgh were his. Then in Pittsburgh, if you were a linemen that couldn't bench press over 500 pounds at a time this was unthinkable - you were an exception to the rule of "win at all costs."

    Like I said before, the early burials weren't worth the counterfeit rings. We don't play pretend here.

    - Tom F.

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Joe you're gonna need novacaine to stay in this thread because you're a pussy. The Steelers were the FIRST team to go widespread with it. It's a FACT. It's why they've had more funerals for guys under 50 than any other team. What's NEXT? The SI articles counting Steeler burials were written by a Browns' fan? The former Steeler who wrote False Glory said the ONLY steroids in his previous locker-room prior to Pittsburgh were his. Then in Pittsburgh, if you were a linemen that couldn't bench press over 500 pounds at a time this was unthinkable - you were an exception to the rule of "win at all costs."

    Like I said before, the early burials weren't worth the counterfeit rings. We don't play pretend here.

    - Tom F.

    Hey, maybe you ought to read the article he posted before you say "The Steelers were the FIRST team to go widespread with it. It's a FACT.".

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    JosephSixpack said:

    Ah I was wondrin' when you were gonna show... how ya been?

    What was the purpose of the book again? And what was the Title of it?

    Aren't you the SAME guy that wanted to inform our entire board that Lyle Alzado represented the rule and not the exception in Cleveland? The ENTIRE team and fanbase hated his ass. The Browns actually had an anti-drug program called the Inner Circle so I see why there's 1 more thing you're envious of.

    "We were horrible role models."

    "I got rid of my rings because they represented shame and cheating!"

    Sports Illustrated didn't do a casket count for any other team. Not even the 63 Chargers. Imagine that!

    Most people outside of Pittsburgh know what False Glory means. Nobody in Pittsburgh has the first clue. Go figure!

    - Tom F.

  • JosephSixpack said:

    Ah I was wondrin' when you were gonna show... how ya been?

    What was the purpose of the book again? And what was the Title of it?

    Aren't you the SAME guy that wanted to inform our entire board that Lyle Alzado represented the rule and not the exception in Cleveland? The ENTIRE team and fanbase hated his ass. The Browns actually had an anti-drug program called the Inner Circle so I see why there's 1 more thing you're envious of.

    "We were horrible role models."

    "I got rid of my rings because they represented shame and cheating!"

    Sports Illustrated didn't do a casket count for any other team. Not even the 63 Chargers. Imagine that!

    Most people outside of Pittsburgh know what False Glory means. Nobody in Pittsburgh has the first clue. Go figure!

    - Tom F.

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    What was the purpose of the book again? And what was the Title of it?

    Aren't you the SAME guy that wanted to inform our entire board that Lyle Alzado represented the rule and not the exception in Cleveland? The ENTIRE team and fanbase hated his ass. The Browns actually had an anti-drug program called the Inner Circle so I see why there's 1 more thing you're envious of.

    "We were horrible role models."

    "I got rid of my rings because they represented shame and cheating!"

    Sports Illustrated didn't do a casket count for any other team. Not even the 63 Chargers. Imagine that!

    Most people outside of Pittsburgh know what False Glory means. Nobody in Pittsburgh has the first clue. Go figure!

    - Tom F.

    Weren't you, Flugel, the one who got your name in a newspaper article for being extremely sick and cheering Ben's motorcycle accident before you knew the extent of his injury?

  • JosephSixpack said:

    And ya know, I used to think you dudes were just busting nuts... but apparently you actually do believe these fairy tales. Which is why we had to bring the Chargers story to light. And the list of all the guys who were juicing long before the Steelers put on unis in the '70s.

    Joe you're gonna need novacaine to stay in this thread because you're a pussy. The Steelers were the FIRST team to go widespread with it. It's a FACT. It's why they've had more funerals for guys under 50 than any other team. What's NEXT? The SI articles counting Steeler burials were written by a Browns' fan? The former Steeler who wrote False Glory said the ONLY steroids in his previous locker-room prior to Pittsburgh were his. Then in Pittsburgh, if you were a linemen that couldn't bench press over 500 pounds at a time this was unthinkable - you were an exception to the rule of "win at all costs."

    Like I said before, the early burials weren't worth the counterfeit rings. We don't play pretend here.

    - Tom F.

    ITHIKAI ITHIKA wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Joe you're gonna need novacaine to stay in this thread because you're a pussy. The Steelers were the FIRST team to go widespread with it. It's a FACT. It's why they've had more funerals for guys under 50 than any other team. What's NEXT? The SI articles counting Steeler burials were written by a Browns' fan? The former Steeler who wrote False Glory said the ONLY steroids in his previous locker-room prior to Pittsburgh were his. Then in Pittsburgh, if you were a linemen that couldn't bench press over 500 pounds at a time this was unthinkable - you were an exception to the rule of "win at all costs."

    Like I said before, the early burials weren't worth the counterfeit rings. We don't play pretend here.

    - Tom F.

    And the holocaust never happened as well. The Jewish nation just went on a long vacation and came back with a few people missing. What are you smoking Joe I'd like some.

  • JosephSixpack said:

    Ah I was wondrin' when you were gonna show... how ya been?

    What was the purpose of the book again? And what was the Title of it?

    Aren't you the SAME guy that wanted to inform our entire board that Lyle Alzado represented the rule and not the exception in Cleveland? The ENTIRE team and fanbase hated his ass. The Browns actually had an anti-drug program called the Inner Circle so I see why there's 1 more thing you're envious of.

    "We were horrible role models."

    "I got rid of my rings because they represented shame and cheating!"

    Sports Illustrated didn't do a casket count for any other team. Not even the 63 Chargers. Imagine that!

    Most people outside of Pittsburgh know what False Glory means. Nobody in Pittsburgh has the first clue. Go figure!

    - Tom F.

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    What was the purpose of the book again? And what was the Title of it?

    Aren't you the SAME guy that wanted to inform our entire board that Lyle Alzado represented the rule and not the exception in Cleveland? The ENTIRE team and fanbase hated his ass. The Browns actually had an anti-drug program called the Inner Circle so I see why there's 1 more thing you're envious of.

    "We were horrible role models."

    "I got rid of my rings because they represented shame and cheating!"

    Sports Illustrated didn't do a casket count for any other team. Not even the 63 Chargers. Imagine that!

    Most people outside of Pittsburgh know what False Glory means. Nobody in Pittsburgh has the first clue. Go figure!

    - Tom F.

  • @flugel said:

    What was the purpose of the book again? And what was the Title of it?

    Aren't you the SAME guy that wanted to inform our entire board that Lyle Alzado represented the rule and not the exception in Cleveland? The ENTIRE team and fanbase hated his ass. The Browns actually had an anti-drug program called the Inner Circle so I see why there's 1 more thing you're envious of.

    "We were horrible role models."

    "I got rid of my rings because they represented shame and cheating!"

    Sports Illustrated didn't do a casket count for any other team. Not even the 63 Chargers. Imagine that!

    Most people outside of Pittsburgh know what False Glory means. Nobody in Pittsburgh has the first clue. Go figure!

    - Tom F.

    Weren't you, Flugel, the one who got your name in a newspaper article for being extremely sick and cheering Ben's motorcycle accident before you knew the extent of his injury?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    Sivlerback DPOY said:

    Weren't you, Flugel, the one who got your name in a newspaper article for being extremely sick and cheering Ben's motorcycle accident before you knew the extent of his injury?

    Was this BEFORE or AFTER you and your buddies interrupted every Browns message board you could find to celebrate the day Kellen Winslow had a motorcycle accident? Selective memory?

    Let's just say when I heard the Drama Queen was still going to be starting on opening day - I had some fun with the irony of it all. That said, it's not in me to go on your message boards to intervene with the process of people trying to enjoy their team. You wouldn't understand because here you are. To be honest, I didn't think your local paper was so piss poor that it needed to invade a Browns' Private message board in order to find worthy reading material and STEAL it for your papers. Anyway, here were my summary of comments to Browns fans:

    "I wonder who is wearing the bigger head turban today - Bin Laden or Ben Riden?"

    -and-

    "There's just something about Steelers QBs bouncing off hard surfaces that makes this rivalry fun."

    - Tom F. (Don't worry, you guys have so much HGH in that lockerroom - nobody ever lands on IR in that program. Still dirty!)

  • Who cares who started it?

    The Steelers "won" their Superbowls solely because of steroids. Period.

    BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by

    @dtbh said:

    Who cares who started it?

    The Steelers "won" their Superbowls solely because of steroids. Period.

    LOLOLOLOL.... HI~LARIOUS !!!!!

  • S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    JosephSixpack said:

    Let's see... all I've done is post a link to a video of guys from the team that started steroid use in the NFL, talking about how they started steroid use in the NFL. I let them do the talking, not my words. The actual players, for all to see and listen to.

    And I'm the one who's smoking the good stuff huh?

    Yeah, just like I was high back when I told you guys were doing this stuff way before the '70s.

    Now who's high?

    Again, why weren't you guys all over the Van Pelt story? Instead of getting all giddy over Jeff Reed.

    Just proves my point.

    You know, I know, and they know you have proved a good point. They won't admitt it and throw personal attacks like Ben throws game winning tds after leading great hurry up offense down the field. They know they are hypocrites and admitt to being biased against the Steelers. (As if we couldn't have figured that out) They will take both sides to any situation just as an excuse to attack the Steelers. (Ex: Remember week 17 this year? Leading up to the game they said Tomlin was dumb and we were going to lose in the first round of the playoffs becuase Tomlin was going to rest the starters. When they found out we were playing are starters they said Tomlin was dumb becuase someone was going to get injured. Then they cheered like crazy as Ben lay motionless on the ground will a head/neck/back injury.) I hope you have figured out to not take them seriously. I just can't figure out why all the hate? It was the Ravens who took their team from Cleveland and it was the Steelers who voted to keep their team in Cleveland. A lot of what these Browns fan say/do is out of arrogance. They want to live success so if they dimish others success and act if they are the best, in their mind, they will be they best.

  • @dtbh said:

    Who cares who started it?

    The Steelers "won" their Superbowls solely because of steroids. Period.

    LOLOLOLOL.... HI~LARIOUS !!!!!

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by

    FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    LOLOLOLOL.... HI~LARIOUS !!!!!

    Why let loser trolls bother you

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    JosephSixpack said:

    Alzado had his best years with Cleveland. Yeah I can just hear the Brownie fans "oh nice sack Lyle! But we hate you because you do 'roids!" Oh man you are hilarious!

    Good to see ya again Flugie.

    That's just it Joe - you don't do any research before tasting your Nikes. We're kind of used to this with you.

    CAREER Tm G GS

    8 yrs DEN 99 98

    4 yrs OAK 51 51

    3 yrs CLE 46 30

    They didn't record sacks until 1982 - the year Lyle went to Oakland. If you look at the # of games and the number of starts, Cleveland was his worst place. Not that you needed to see this if you ever heard him say he played his worst football in Cleveland.

    - Tom F.

  • Sivlerback DPOY said:

    Weren't you, Flugel, the one who got your name in a newspaper article for being extremely sick and cheering Ben's motorcycle accident before you knew the extent of his injury?

    Was this BEFORE or AFTER you and your buddies interrupted every Browns message board you could find to celebrate the day Kellen Winslow had a motorcycle accident? Selective memory?

    Let's just say when I heard the Drama Queen was still going to be starting on opening day - I had some fun with the irony of it all. That said, it's not in me to go on your message boards to intervene with the process of people trying to enjoy their team. You wouldn't understand because here you are. To be honest, I didn't think your local paper was so piss poor that it needed to invade a Browns' Private message board in order to find worthy reading material and STEAL it for your papers. Anyway, here were my summary of comments to Browns fans:

    "I wonder who is wearing the bigger head turban today - Bin Laden or Ben Riden?"

    -and-

    "There's just something about Steelers QBs bouncing off hard surfaces that makes this rivalry fun."

    - Tom F. (Don't worry, you guys have so much HGH in that lockerroom - nobody ever lands on IR in that program. Still dirty!)

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Was this BEFORE or AFTER you and your buddies interrupted every Browns message board you could find to celebrate the day Kellen Winslow had a motorcycle accident? Selective memory?

    Let's just say when I heard the Drama Queen was still going to be starting on opening day - I had some fun with the irony of it all. That said, it's not in me to go on your message boards to intervene with the process of people trying to enjoy their team. You wouldn't understand because here you are. To be honest, I didn't think your local paper was so piss poor that it needed to invade a Browns' Private message board in order to find worthy reading material and STEAL it for your papers. Anyway, here were my summary of comments to Browns fans:

    "I wonder who is wearing the bigger head turban today - Bin Laden or Ben Riden?"

    -and-

    "There's just something about Steelers QBs bouncing off hard surfaces that makes this rivalry fun."

    - Tom F. (Don't worry, you guys have so much HGH in that lockerroom - nobody ever lands on IR in that program. Still dirty!)

    They needed to get proof people actually say completely rediculous and stupid things and you were the best example that could be found. If you hate the Steeler so much and feel most of what them and there fans do is wrong, then isn't it using circular reasoning to use their actions as an excuse for your actions? I don't stop you when you people are enjoying your team. I sometimes join your draft discussions and tried to join in threads concerning who would be your next head coach. Enjoying your team doesn't mean you say rediculous things about other players, teams, and fans. Trash-talking is one thing and supposed to be fun, making fun of injuries among other things are sick and rediculous.

  • FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    LOLOLOLOL.... HI~LARIOUS !!!!!

    Why let loser trolls bother you

    BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by

    @rich4eagle said:

    Why let loser trolls bother you

    No it seriously makes me laugh... its comical.

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    JosephSixpack said:

    This is right off ESPN:

    Yep, Browns sack leader Lyle Alzado. He was really hated, I can tell.

    Keep on grasping those straws buddy.

    And again -- how do you explain missing the Van Pelt story, but glomming all over the little Reed incident?

    That says it all.

    Again, your research is short sighted and selective. Then again, you're in denial that the steroids era was the 70s and the poster boys of it were the Pittsburgh Stee-roids. Sports Illustrated and former Steeler Steve Courson tell some compelling stories about it all. I think the guy that shared needles with teammates is a better source than you wishing none of it was true. Steroids + Trophies = Early Funerals. "We were horrible role models." "I threw away my rings." "Kids today emulate their heroes. It makes me sick knowing we're the reason a kid in high school or junior high school wants to use the same short cuts we required." It doesn't sound like much peace and serenity after the massive group cheat. It's got you miserable Joey!

    In any event, here's the Alzado reality that anyone with more than 2 braincells on spreaking terms can make some conclusions about:

    CAREER Tm G GS

    8 yrs DEN 99 98

    4 yrs OAK 51 51

    3 yrs CLE 46 30

    Looks like played 100% of his games in Oakland where they WON the Superbowl and he started 98 out of 99 games in Denver where he made MOST of his Pro Bowls. The math says he was reliable enough elsewhere for 149 out of 150 possible starts. In Cleveland he missed a THIRD of his games (equalling 1 whole season) but had 1 good year out of 3. Understanding this, if he was an ASSET instead of an ASSHOLE, he stays instead of sprays.

    If he was as good as you WANTED him to be in Cleveland, he would have remained on the team with a raise. Steroids have never been the rule in this lockerroom. You're just pissed his quick release reinforces that reality as you should be. Have you ever won a single debate in here with anyone?

    Have another beer! Don't ALL happy fans name themselves after a depressant with their screen names?

    - Tom F. (Don't worry, I don't have higher expections from the 'Steroids Are Us' crowd)

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by

    Steroids Are Us!!!

    That has a nice ring to it Flugs.

    I was thinking something more along the lines of "Steroids, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore,", but I think I prefer yours.

    It's so cute watching these guys try to deflect. If only they could win one for real.

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    JosephSixpack said:

    Thing is, it's the Bradshaw part that sealed the deal, took the cake --

    He SURE did. He also gave poor little Jo Jo Starbuck (the temporary wife) black eyes and broken noses. Greg Loyd had a WONDERFUL role model. I'm sure the wife playing deep throat and broken teeth to the pistol shaft while the son was also tied up with a gun to his head are very thankful for steroids. Sounds like they do wonders for the mind and disturbing behavioral patterns.

    Would that be MORE of this roid rage yinz all want the "shhhh" policy continued for? I got your "shhh" right here! That's not the SAME kind of Family Building tactics we saw from the "We Are Family" crew. I actually LIKED those guys because they were far better role models.

    Unfortunately, poor Mike Webster was competing with rats and raccons for meals out of trash cans but the lost mind had nothing to do with 15 years of steroid abuse right? Terry Long didn't wait that long - he purchased a gallon of Anti-freeze and chugged it. Don't shoot the mailman reporting your drug culture. You're so guilt ridden - you're naming your screen identity after your coping skills, which are also a depressant. Where's all the peace, serenity and jubilation for selling the souls Joey?

    God bless ya! That type of imagination belongs in Disney where "once upon a time" never gets altered from the path of "they lived happily ever after." Unfortunately, your creativity never stopped 1 premature funeral from happening. Seems like I feel worse for your heroes than you're capable of.

    - Tom F. (I don't think they need asterisks when SI is willing to provide the casket counts, America defined the Steelers as the poster boys of the steroids era, and 1 Steeler wrote about the shame/guilt of it all. We're all set!)

  • Steroids Are Us!!!

    That has a nice ring to it Flugs.

    I was thinking something more along the lines of "Steroids, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore,", but I think I prefer yours.

    It's so cute watching these guys try to deflect. If only they could win one for real.

    S Spunkonmyback DPOY wrote on last edited by

    @riffer-x said:

    Steroids Are Us!!!

    That has a nice ring to it Flugs.

    I was thinking something more along the lines of "Steroids, They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore,", but I think I prefer yours.

    It's so cute watching these guys try to deflect. If only they could win one for real.

    You and Flugel are refusing to admitt players in the 60's started wide spread use of roids and we are the ones defelecting it? I don't see you offering video proof of players admitting to be the first people to start using roids. Your attempts to tarnish the Steelers remind me of your offense attempts to score just one td...