The Black Keys
-
So I never really took the time to listen to The Black Keys, even though they are from the area and apparently a big favorite among the hipsters. Yesterday i sat down and clicked on nearly an entire album worth of songs. What a load of shit.
Am I alone in thinking these guys suck?
And if there are any country music fans out there have you heard of Florida Georgia Line? Somebody put a link on Facebook with a review of their new album and said it was the worst country record ever made. I went to amazon mp3 and previewed every song. It just sounded like the same generic prefabricated over-Autotuned crap with the same rhythm in 9 out of 11 songs.
Anyone heard of this bum?
WSS
-
I like the black keys at least the stuff that gets radio play. "Howling for you" "lonely boy" "gold on the ceiling" and "tighten up" are all on my mp3 player. I will confess I don't buy albums anymore so I have no clue what their b sides sound like.
-
I think the Black Keys are heavily blues based, and people should know that Steve has a disdain for the blues, ergo, I believe is the root of his opinion.
Their original sounds were gritty, bluesy, garage style sounds. Or should I say warehouse as I believe they recorded their first two albums in an Akron warehouse. For just a two man group, I think they do pretty well.
By the way, it is not just the hipsters. Their music has appeared in a number of TV commercials and movies.
-
-
Oh well. Not to mention the fact that the term garage is a euphemism for shitty but I could care less they recorded in a warehouse.
(and blues based usually means three chords a lot of 7 notes)
And so what if they are two guys? I think we know what modern recording technique is capable of. Listen to Todd Rundgren. That's only one guy.
But personal taste is personal taste. I think they suck.
WSS
-
And I know that Steve is a fan of this show....and a Black Keys songs seems pretty apt for it:
-
Oh well. Not to mention the fact that the term garage is a euphemism for shitty but I could care less they recorded in a warehouse.
(and blues based usually means three chords a lot of 7 notes)
And so what if they are two guys? I think we know what modern recording technique is capable of. Listen to Todd Rundgren. That's only one guy.
But personal taste is personal taste. I think they suck.
WSS
Oh well. Not to mention the fact that the term garage is a euphemism for shitty but I could care less they recorded in a warehouse.
(and blues based usually means three chords a lot of 7 notes)
And so what if they are two guys? I think we know what modern recording technique is capable of. Listen to Todd Rundgren. That's only one guy.
But personal taste is personal taste. I think they suck.
WSS
By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.
-
I don't agree
-
Oh well. Not to mention the fact that the term garage is a euphemism for shitty but I could care less they recorded in a warehouse.
(and blues based usually means three chords a lot of 7 notes)
And so what if they are two guys? I think we know what modern recording technique is capable of. Listen to Todd Rundgren. That's only one guy.
But personal taste is personal taste. I think they suck.
WSS
By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.
Not exactly what I said. In music categorization vernacular garage or grunge means shitty or without polish ie sucks.By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.
Blues means something else.
Perhaps you've heard my theory anyway and that is if a kid has the headphones on listening to Guns and Roses and the music is moving him it is no more or less valid than anything Beethoven ever did.
Make sense?
And to clarify gipper read the sentence just before the one where I said I think they suck.
WSS
-
Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.
Some people think he's great.
WSS
-
Not exactly what I said. In music categorization vernacular garage or grunge means shitty or without polish ie sucks.By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.
Blues means something else.
Perhaps you've heard my theory anyway and that is if a kid has the headphones on listening to Guns and Roses and the music is moving him it is no more or less valid than anything Beethoven ever did.
Make sense?
And to clarify gipper read the sentence just before the one where I said I think they suck.
WSS
Not exactly what I said. In music categorization vernacular garage or grunge means shitty or without polish ie sucks.
Blues means something else.
Perhaps you've heard my theory anyway and that is if a kid has the headphones on listening to Guns and Roses and the music is moving him it is no more or less valid than anything Beethoven ever did.
Make sense?
And to clarify gipper read the sentence just before the one where I said I think they suck.
WSS
You said "what a load of shit". How is that illuminative?
-
Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.
Some people think he's great.
WSS
Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.
Some people think he's great.
WSS
I don't see how "rudimentary" is disparaging. Simple and pure may in fact be the best compliment one can make. And there is no music out there really that isn't derivative, fair to say?
-
Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.
but...
If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.
Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.
And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.
For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.
WSS
-
Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.
but...
If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.
Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.
And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.
For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.
WSS
Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.
but...
If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.
Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.
And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.
For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.
WSS
But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.
-
Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.
but...
If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.
Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.
And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.
For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.
WSS
But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.
But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.
yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...
WSS
-
But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.
yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...
WSS
yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...
WSS
Actually, I was referring to The Button Box Band.
-
I think the Black Keys are OK. they are not great by any means. IMO
But then again, I think Aerosmith is the WORST band of all time, but a lot of people love them.
-
Yeah I despise Aerosmith
-
I really like Aerosmith:
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
