Skip to content

First Rounders vs Rest of the World

The Browns Board
24 8 948
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Another big thing - I struggled to find elite O-linemen outside the first round.

    How far back do you want to go? These alone were 5th rounders or lower

    Gene Hickerson 7th round

    Dan Fortmann 9th round

    Jim Ringo 7th round

    Mike Webster 5th round

    All HOF. rounds 2-4:

    Stan Jones

    Mike MacCormack

    Bob St. Clair

    Art Shell

    Jackie Slater

    Russ Grimm

    Forrest Gregg

    Billy Shaw

    Dan Dierdorf

    Dwight Stephenson

    Dermonti Dawson

    Larry Allen

  • Another big thing - I struggled to find elite O-linemen outside the first round.

    How far back do you want to go? These alone were 5th rounders or lower

    Gene Hickerson 7th round

    Dan Fortmann 9th round

    Jim Ringo 7th round

    Mike Webster 5th round

    All HOF. rounds 2-4:

    Stan Jones

    Mike MacCormack

    Bob St. Clair

    Art Shell

    Jackie Slater

    Russ Grimm

    Forrest Gregg

    Billy Shaw

    Dan Dierdorf

    Dwight Stephenson

    Dermonti Dawson

    Larry Allen

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    Another big thing - I struggled to find elite O-linemen outside the first round.

    How far back do you want to go?

    All the players are currently active (I believe). I'm sure you can make an all-time non-first round team, but the point was to compare the depth of talent available in any given draft, so it's time dependent. All-time, you can probably come up with two teams that are inseparable.

  • @manzier said:

    Nice list. Enjoyed it. Some truly monster players there.

    And, as we also know, a lot of high picks wouldn't make that list. Haha. Putting it lightly.

    So Ill add my list of players, but all were top 2 picks. And not top 2 rounds. These are top 2 overall. So, every player on my list MUST have been a "sure shot" "slam dunk" "cant miss" kind of player. I remember many of these guys being touted as the best everrrrrrrr to come out. Hahahaha

    There were a few positions(TE, CB & S) that have never been selected #1 or #2. So, I picked the highest I could find. Here we gooooo:

    Name - overall pick # - # of pro bowls:

    QB:

    Jamarcus Russell - #1 - 0

    Ryan Leaf - #2 - 0

    RB:

    KiJana Carter - #1 - 0

    Blair Thomas - #2 - 0

    WR:

    Charles Rogers - #2 - 0

    Johnny Jones - #2 - 0

    Larry Elkins - #1 - 0

    TE:

    Eric Ebron - #9

    OT:

    Tony Mandarich - #2 - 0

    Robert Gallery - #2 - 0

    OG:

    D. Steinkuhler - #2 - 0

    Leonard Davis - #2 - 0

    😄

    Bob Johnson - #2 - 0

    DE:

    Courtney Brown - #1 - 0

    Chris Long - #2 - 0

    DT:

    Dan Wilkinson - #1 - 0

    Steve Emtman - #1 - 0

    MLB:

    Tom Cousineau - #1 - 0

    Johnny Cooks - #2 - 0

    OLB:

    Aundrey Bruce - #1 - 0

    Quentin Coryat - #2 - 0

    SS/FS:

    Michael Huff - #7 - 0

    Stanley Richard - #9 - 0

    CB:

    Morris Claiborne - #6 - 0

    Pacman Jones - #6 - 0

    Extra fun trivia////At least 3 of these players were picked or traded for by the Browns.

    (Cousineau/Courtney Brown are the only two on your list that played for the Browns...I don't see any others. Or did you leave out #1 Tim Couch?)

    One of them(who?) we acquired with a draft pick that was later used to select what HOF quarterback?

    Jim Kelly with the pick traded for Cousineau)

    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @the-gipper said:

    @manzier said:

    Nice list. Enjoyed it. Some truly monster players there.

    And, as we also know, a lot of high picks wouldn't make that list. Haha. Putting it lightly.

    So Ill add my list of players, but all were top 2 picks. And not top 2 rounds. These are top 2 overall. So, every player on my list MUST have been a "sure shot" "slam dunk" "cant miss" kind of player. I remember many of these guys being touted as the best everrrrrrrr to come out. Hahahaha

    There were a few positions(TE, CB & S) that have never been selected #1 or #2. So, I picked the highest I could find. Here we gooooo:

    Name - overall pick # - # of pro bowls:

    QB:

    Jamarcus Russell - #1 - 0

    Ryan Leaf - #2 - 0

    RB:

    KiJana Carter - #1 - 0

    Blair Thomas - #2 - 0

    WR:

    Charles Rogers - #2 - 0

    Johnny Jones - #2 - 0

    Larry Elkins - #1 - 0

    TE:

    Eric Ebron - #9

    OT:

    Tony Mandarich - #2 - 0

    Robert Gallery - #2 - 0

    OG:

    D. Steinkuhler - #2 - 0

    Leonard Davis - #2 - 0

    😄

    Bob Johnson - #2 - 0

    DE:

    Courtney Brown - #1 - 0

    Chris Long - #2 - 0

    DT:

    Dan Wilkinson - #1 - 0

    Steve Emtman - #1 - 0

    MLB:

    Tom Cousineau - #1 - 0

    Johnny Cooks - #2 - 0

    OLB:

    Aundrey Bruce - #1 - 0

    Quentin Coryat - #2 - 0

    SS/FS:

    Michael Huff - #7 - 0

    Stanley Richard - #9 - 0

    CB:

    Morris Claiborne - #6 - 0

    Pacman Jones - #6 - 0

    Extra fun trivia////At least 3 of these players were picked or traded for by the Browns.

    (Cousineau/Courtney Brown are the only two on your list that played for the Browns...I don't see any others. Or did you leave out #1 Tim Couch?) No. You are correct, as I used the wrong wording. Johnnie Cooks also played for the Browns, BUT was not traded for or picked in the draft.

    One of them(who?) we acquired with a draft pick that was later used to select what HOF quarterback?

    Jim Kelly with the pick traded for Cousineau) Correct.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I guess I don't remember much about Johnny Cooks playing for the Browns....but I'll check:

    OK, according to this, Johnny Cooks played in exactly 2 games with the Browns in 1991, and didn't record a single tackle.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookJo20.htm