Kyle Shanahan
-
Here is the crew of playmakers he beat Cincy with:
Hoyer
West
Crowell
Tate
Austin
Benjamin
Gabriel
Barnridge
Dray
None of them are first round picks, Hoyer, Crow, Austin and Gabriel were udfa's , not sure about the TEs, but they weren't high picks, that's for sure.
Only Hoyer and Benjamin were on the Browns last year, so BIG TIME props to Farmer, and, of course, BIG TIME props to Pettine and our defense.
But back to the original thought ... Shanny is the best game-planner and play-caller we have had since 1999, and it ain't even close.
Just wait until we can give him Gordon, Hawkins and Cameron every week.
Zombo
-
Agreed. I hope he sticks around but you've got to wonder if a shot at HC isn't around the corner. BTW, I think he makes a much better OC than HC but everyone has a dream at the top job!
-
How long is his contact?
-
How long is his contact?
3 years, but any HC offer will let him out of any remaining time.
Zombo said:
But back to the original thought ... Shanny is the best game-planner and play-caller we have had since 1999, and it ain't even close.
About halfway thru the 2nd QTR an I've seen a brand new formation and two play variations off of old sets. And the play-calling has been spotless...
I'm betting that young Shanny (or Shammy...
) is a decent chess player.Mixed bag from McD so far...
-
So we can lose him if he gets offered a hc gig?
-
Yep.
Of course the old assistant head coach carrot has been put on a stick in the past.
WSS
-
i tend to agree
BUT
we all know how desperate teams can be at times (josh mcdaniels and todd hailey to name a couple off the top of my head) for the next young genius. i would think there'd be a lot more seasoned coaches out there that people will look at first.
-
I was saying in the tavern thursday that there was an 80% chance he will be gone after the season. As of now I see an easy 6 teams that will be going in a different direction after the season and honestly 10 isn't that far fetched either if you look into it a little.
-
Oh, and Go buckeyes... Fuck everything Michigan.
-
I think Shanahan is brilliant & worry we could lose him. More than likely he isn't yet ready to be a HC, but we're not the ones who will be shopping. That said, I agree with Steve, drop the Assistant Head Coach title on him.
To follow up on Zombo's post, these receivers aren't getting as wide open as they are simply from great moves..much of it boils down to well designed, called, & executed plays. We have a very well coached Team here & it's not just Shanahan.
Mike
-
The Browns' offense is now sophisticated business. A lot of misdirection, fooling
defenses, setting up plays to help other plays spring big gains. Kosar was a genius
at fooling defenses.
This offense is fun to watch - seems to be very much designed around the talent there,
and having said that, it's excellent to see that even losing Mack, they have gelled again.
Were it not for the Bitonio addition, the Browns would have a real tough time replacing Mack
and still being able to rumble.
-
Yes, but that was because Mack got hurt. The offensive line just can't
change and keep on rolling the first couple of games. There's a ton
of timing, and protection calls, and coordination...
But they got it back. We'll see if the running game keeps on keeping on.
-
I thought l noticed a bit of a different blocking scheme going on in this game. When l rewatched the game l really focused in on McDonald to see how the new C was doing.
I saw a number of plays where he sort of did this hockey check at the LOS and then moved up to the second level to look for a block there. Kind of like an up the gut lead blocker.
I don't remember them using Mack like that, or maybe l just wasn't paying attention. I guess my hope is they are formatting the scheme to the personnel, and they must like McDonald as a spearhead up the middle.
-
Interesting, but I've seen Mack get to the second level, too.
DL,s had to pay a lot more attention to Mack.
-
I think Shanahan is brilliant & worry we could lose him. More than likely he isn't yet ready to be a HC, but we're not the ones who will be shopping. That said, I agree with Steve, drop the Assistant Head Coach title on him.
To follow up on Zombo's post, these receivers aren't getting as wide open as they are simply from great moves..much of it boils down to well designed, called, & executed plays. We have a very well coached Team here & it's not just Shanahan.
Mike
To follow up on Zombo's post, these receivers aren't getting as wide open as they are simply from great moves..much of it boils down to well designed, called, & executed plays. We have a very well coached Team here & it's not just Shanahan.
Agree on giving the Asst. Coaches their due...
Regardless of scheme, receivers have to beat defenders... especially on shorter passes with pick (or rub) plays being the exception. Longer routes get into a scheme's/ play design's ability to influence Safeties and LBS.
I think the arrival of the smaller, quicker WRs (Hawk, Gabe, Moore) was perfectly timed to the arrival of the no touch, rules emphasis.
Dont get too excited yet folks, his run got stopped for 3 games and he couldnt find any production with jacksonville whatsoever, id have thought a good oc would find a way with a 0-6 team.
Even Lombardi lost a game here and there...
I thought l noticed a bit of a different blocking scheme going on in this game. When l rewatched the game l really focused in on McDonald to see how the new C was doing.
I saw a number of plays where he sort of did this hockey check at the LOS and then moved up to the second level to look for a block there. Kind of like an up the gut lead blocker.
I don't remember them using Mack like that, or maybe l just wasn't paying attention. I guess my hope is they are formatting the scheme to the personnel, and they must like McDonald as a spearhead up the middle.
Mack was the master of the "chip" at the LOS and then proceeding to the 2nd level. The difference between he and McD (or Greco during his turn at C) is that Mack could really engage a D-lineman and still get to the 2nd level in time. If Greco engaged meaningfully he was late to the 2nd. McD looks to be going "Mack-lite" at the line and moving on.
Halfway thru the Q2 of the CIN game I think we are middle zoning more and wide zoning less than we have YTD. This could be why you are seeing more of this action by the center.
McD is capable of winning 2nd level battles. 1st level? not so much...
-
Agree, Shanahan is a huge upgrade. I love the misdirection plays, and they always seem to work, which is amazing.
It's been a long time since we've seen a coaching staff actually make decent adjustments during the game. Hopefully threy neutralize JJ Watt next week.
-
To follow up on Zombo's post, these receivers aren't getting as wide open as they are simply from great moves..much of it boils down to well designed, called, & executed plays. We have a very well coached Team here & it's not just Shanahan.
Agree on giving the Asst. Coaches their due...
Regardless of scheme, receivers have to beat defenders... especially on shorter passes with pick (or rub) plays being the exception. Longer routes get into a scheme's/ play design's ability to influence Safeties and LBS.
I think the arrival of the smaller, quicker WRs (Hawk, Gabe, Moore) was perfectly timed to the arrival of the no touch, rules emphasis.
Dont get too excited yet folks, his run got stopped for 3 games and he couldnt find any production with jacksonville whatsoever, id have thought a good oc would find a way with a 0-6 team.
Even Lombardi lost a game here and there...
I thought l noticed a bit of a different blocking scheme going on in this game. When l rewatched the game l really focused in on McDonald to see how the new C was doing.
I saw a number of plays where he sort of did this hockey check at the LOS and then moved up to the second level to look for a block there. Kind of like an up the gut lead blocker.
I don't remember them using Mack like that, or maybe l just wasn't paying attention. I guess my hope is they are formatting the scheme to the personnel, and they must like McDonald as a spearhead up the middle.
Mack was the master of the "chip" at the LOS and then proceeding to the 2nd level. The difference between he and McD (or Greco during his turn at C) is that Mack could really engage a D-lineman and still get to the 2nd level in time. If Greco engaged meaningfully he was late to the 2nd. McD looks to be going "Mack-lite" at the line and moving on.
Halfway thru the Q2 of the CIN game I think we are middle zoning more and wide zoning less than we have YTD. This could be why you are seeing more of this action by the center.
McD is capable of winning 2nd level battles. 1st level? not so much...
Mack was the master of the "chip" at the LOS and then proceeding to the 2nd level. The difference between he and McD (or Greco during his turn at C) is that Mack could really engage a D-lineman and still get to the 2nd level in time. If Greco engaged meaningfully he was late to the 2nd. McD looks to be going "Mack-lite" at the line and moving on.
Halfway thru the Q2 of the CIN game I think we are middle zoning more and wide zoning less than we have YTD. This could be why you are seeing more of this action by the center.
McD is capable of winning 2nd level battles. 1st level? not so much...
Good analysis. I gotta admit l haven't really focused a lot on Mack's play. I'm usually scrutinizing the Schwartz.
Yeah. The Schwartz.
I thought maybe the coaches thought MCD was quicker than the average bear. Raar.
-
Will their first rounder play?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login