Skip to content

Notes and Observations from yesterday's loss.

The Browns Board
33 19 1.5k
  • Being a Hoyer fan, doesn't make me a JF hater. In fact, I would love to see him play, whether after a game's outcome has already been decided, or to change things up, if we lose the next game or 2. I have to admit, I'm a little worried about inserting him, though. I've heard endless discussions regarding the qb position, to the point that I don't even care who pl;ays the position. My fear is that JF might really suck...then what? Hoyer will most likely be gone, because he will feel slighted by the change, and JF will have no value. We will be back where we've been forever.....no qb.

  • I think Hoyer got his bell rung pretty early. He seemed hesitant after getting unloaded on twice.

  • I like Hoyer because of how well he's handled himself, he says the right things, and he is a professional.

    He had good games against Cincinnati, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee.

    In terms of being a "franchise QB" I'm getting a whiff of fools gold.

  • I'll just throw in my opinions here rather than start a new thread. Biggest thing overall is that many, many players just played badly. Repeating myself here but I HATED how much media attention the team got this week. I don't think it's a coincidence both times the media promoted us we lost.

    Other things:

    -At this stage, especially if Dansby is down, it'll be on the offense to play better. Just accept the fact this front seven is going to give up 100+ to anyone in the backfield. Nothing will change that other than new players in the off-season

    -As others have stated, it's incredible to think looking back Mallett wasn't touched once. Of course this is largely because they were throwing wide open 7-10 yard passes most of the game. How many damn times can someone throw a quick out route before you stop playing 10 yards off the ball?

    -Just seemed like one of those games where the ball was bouncing the wrong way from start to finish. Badly missed FG, dropped pass on 4th down, dropped pass that led to an INT, dropped pick-6 by Kruger, called back kick return for holding (which was crap), shaky ref play going against the Browns (PI call at midfield was as obvious as they come), stupid running by Tate and crew on 1st downs etc. All that rarely, if ever adds up to win.

    -Watt is absolutely incredible. It makes yous mad during the game but sitting on it overnight just makes you appreciate how good that dude is.

  • We played like the worse team in every aspect.

  • Hoyer made 50 pass attempts. 50. Completed only 20 of those. Not sure why Shanny chose to play ball that way yesterday??

  • Hoyer made 50 pass attempts. 50. Completed only 20 of those. Not sure why Shanny chose to play ball that way yesterday??

    @tml1138 said:

    Hoyer made 50 pass attempts. 50. Completed only 20 of those. Not sure why Shanny chose to play ball that way yesterday??

    Probably because outside of the one run by Crowell we were averaging 1ypc.

  • @tml1138 said:

    Hoyer made 50 pass attempts. 50. Completed only 20 of those. Not sure why Shanny chose to play ball that way yesterday??

    Probably because outside of the one run by Crowell we were averaging 1ypc.

    @gftchris said:

    Probably because outside of the one run by Crowell we were averaging 1ypc.

    Ok. But supposedly Shanahan doesn't abandon the run. Ever.

    I don't have much to argue with as I was blasted yesterday something awful. I thought my bender at the Raiders late-afternoon game would be the farthest I'd go this year. I was wrong, lol.

  • @tml1138 said:

    Hoyer made 50 pass attempts. 50. Completed only 20 of those. Not sure why Shanny chose to play ball that way yesterday??

    Probably because outside of the one run by Crowell we were averaging 1ypc.

    @gftchris said:

    Probably because outside of the one run by Crowell we were averaging 1ypc.

    Exactly. Why stick with it, when it clearly wasn't working?

    I've heard Shanny get credit for sticking with the run when we came back against the Stools and Titans. Of course, we were down big time in both those games. And, in those situations, MOST teams would have started passing. Those games our run game was "working" and he showed patience and stuck with it. And it worked.

    This week there was no run game to stick with.

  • Our defense played like a bottom 3 NFL D yesterday. I somewhat believe they are a bottom 3 defense...

    150 Yds, 4+ YPC for Blue, 50 Yds, 4+ YPC for Grimes. You don't win football games giving up numbers like that.

    Offense not any better. Aside from 1 stat-skewing run, our rushing game was back to dead. Hoyer was inaccurate, everybody was scared of watt (In practice did they tell these guys just to lay down for Watt?) , don't understand the play calling - Run to Watt twice without a TE, then setup 3rd and 9. How about TE assist on Watt on passing plays? Hoyer is lucky to still be walking.

  • Our defense played like a bottom 3 NFL D yesterday. I somewhat believe they are a bottom 3 defense...

    150 Yds, 4+ YPC for Blue, 50 Yds, 4+ YPC for Grimes. You don't win football games giving up numbers like that.

    Offense not any better. Aside from 1 stat-skewing run, our rushing game was back to dead. Hoyer was inaccurate, everybody was scared of watt (In practice did they tell these guys just to lay down for Watt?) , don't understand the play calling - Run to Watt twice without a TE, then setup 3rd and 9. How about TE assist on Watt on passing plays? Hoyer is lucky to still be walking.

    @bbedward said:

    Hoyer is lucky to still be walking.

    could it be a conspiracy ??

    Maybe someone thought Watt would resolve our QB debate. 😉

    (and for the slow ones, dont freak out, its just a joke)

  • @bbedward said:

    Hoyer is lucky to still be walking.

    could it be a conspiracy ??

    Maybe someone thought Watt would resolve our QB debate. 😉

    (and for the slow ones, dont freak out, its just a joke)

    @manzier said:

    (and for the slow ones, dont freak out, its just a joke)

    It's sad that you needed to add this 🙁

  • @manzier said:

    (and for the slow ones, dont freak out, its just a joke)

    It's sad that you needed to add this 🙁

    @gftchris said:

    It's sad that you needed to add this 🙁

    Yeah, but we both know it was necessary. Truth. Haha.

  • I'm not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but Kruger was pretty damn pissed after the game from the sounds of it which is good to hear. His comments were a little troubling about why they played so shitty. Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/9754/browns-forgot-who-they-were-in-loss-to-texans?ex_cid=espnapi_public

  • That makes 2 starting defenders that have basically said "we weren't ready to play" ................ Very troubling to say the least. Throw in our OC & DC's terrible game plans and pathetic game day adjustments, and that warm and fuzzy feeling I had 11 days ago, has turned into fear and anguish.

  • I'm not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but Kruger was pretty damn pissed after the game from the sounds of it which is good to hear. His comments were a little troubling about why they played so shitty. Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/9754/browns-forgot-who-they-were-in-loss-to-texans?ex_cid=espnapi_public

    @browns23 said:

    I'm not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but Kruger was pretty damn pissed after the game from the sounds of it which is good to hear. His comments were a little troubling about why they played so shitty. Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/9754/browns-forgot-who-they-were-in-loss-to-texans?ex_cid=espnapi_public

    I got worried when they announced after the Bengals game, that they were off until Tuesday. 4 days off is at least one too many for a young team.

    As for Hoyer, he's consistently inconsistent. He's done some good things this season, so let's see how it plays out vs. Atlanta with Gordon coming back. If the offense is sluggish vs. the Falcons & @Buffalo, they may consider the switch to JF- I don't know if that is fair, but if they're 6-6, why not? Nothing to lose, unless JF says he isn't ready (like he did after camp).

  • That makes 2 starting defenders that have basically said "we weren't ready to play" ................ Very troubling to say the least. Throw in our OC & DC's terrible game plans and pathetic game day adjustments, and that warm and fuzzy feeling I had 11 days ago, has turned into fear and anguish.

    @d-bone said:

    That makes 2 starting defenders that have basically said "we weren't ready to play" ................ Very troubling to say the least. Throw in our OC & DC's terrible game plans and pathetic game day adjustments, and that warm and fuzzy feeling I had 11 days ago, has turned into fear and anguish.

    Everybody had the same mindset you can't be hungover after a big win, 7 games left, etc. except for the team I guess.

  • Kruger really shouldn't be too pissed. He played like shit yesterday and has officially reverted back to doing this jump step everytime he goes to rush the passer.

  • Kruger really shouldn't be too pissed. He played like shit yesterday and has officially reverted back to doing this jump step everytime he goes to rush the passer.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Kruger really shouldn't be too pissed. He played like shit yesterday and has officially reverted back to doing this jump step everytime he goes to rush the passer.

    Also his edge containment was awful, and the same goes for Sheard. Don't know why these guys can't stay home.

  • Only one point of observation need be made......the entire team and each individual unit sucked.