The Defense thread...
-
The D will have to play its best game of the year this Sunday. The Colts come to town as the leagues highest scoring offense. They've scored more points than the Packers & the Pats.
-
Forcing lots of turnovers which the Offense has completely wasted.
-
we are weak against the run because our line is missing key guys. when taylor came back for a game we stuffed cincy. we're going to have to draft or sign DL next year....lots of DL. and maybe a backup center?
-
I love the Pettine scheme. It starting delivering damn near on the schedule he said it would. And even with all the injuries it has sustained a good performance level.
I think it will only get better.
I also think it is on the way to becoming the "O'Neil" defense.
This. You guys have a very good defense. We ran for what? 70 yards total?? That's hideous for an NFL team. Our run D last year with Pettine was not great...I'd say there is improvement right there. You have young guys and can only get better. If there is something to improve, it would be the QB (just like the Bills). Once our teams find a franchise QB, all the other parts fall in line (see also Seattle, Pats, Chargers etc).I love the Pettine scheme. It starting delivering damn near on the schedule he said it would. And even with all the injuries it has sustained a good performance level.
I think it will only get better.
I also think it is on the way to becoming the "O'Neil" defense.
-
George C said:
Mikes schemes are extremely reliant on man DB play. If you don't have man corners, he is in trouble with it. Man corners allow more concentration in the box, and when you remove that extra box safety to help, teams can run on you. I don't think he trusts Skrine 100% yet.
I don't care for Mikes scheme as much as schwartzs, especially when there are injuries.
Mikes schemes are very aggressive, and "aggressive and attacking" sells to the fan base, but when It breaks down, you are open to the big play and pay the price. It only takes a couple big plays to win a game.
Mike enjoyed a lot of healthy, injury free talent in NY and in Buffalo, especially a stout front in both cities and a very mobile tackling machine in Kiko Alonso at MLB last year. An injury to a key player is even more glaring when you play aggressive. I think that's what happened to Cleveland once Taylor went down.
Don't be surprised if you guys draft another DB very early. Not because of a deficiency, but I know Mike builds from the back to the front.
If we draft another DB early I'm gonna call for his job. Real talk. Unless every other hole on this team gets filled in FA, I dont' want to hear about a DB in the draft.
-
George C said:
Mikes schemes are extremely reliant on man DB play. If you don't have man corners, he is in trouble with it. Man corners allow more concentration in the box, and when you remove that extra box safety to help, teams can run on you. I don't think he trusts Skrine 100% yet.
I don't care for Mikes scheme as much as schwartzs, especially when there are injuries.
Mikes schemes are very aggressive, and "aggressive and attacking" sells to the fan base, but when It breaks down, you are open to the big play and pay the price. It only takes a couple big plays to win a game.
Mike enjoyed a lot of healthy, injury free talent in NY and in Buffalo, especially a stout front in both cities and a very mobile tackling machine in Kiko Alonso at MLB last year. An injury to a key player is even more glaring when you play aggressive. I think that's what happened to Cleveland once Taylor went down.
Don't be surprised if you guys draft another DB very early. Not because of a deficiency, but I know Mike builds from the back to the front.
If we draft another DB early I'm gonna call for his job. Real talk. Unless every other hole on this team gets filled in FA, I dont' want to hear about a DB in the draft.
If we draft another DB early I'm gonna call for his job. Real talk. Unless every other hole on this team gets filled in FA, I dont' want to hear about a DB in the draft.
Lol. We have one of the best DB groups in the NFL already and it has 2 promising rookies on it (Idk what happened to Desir, but maybe he comes around). Idk if I'd call for anybody's job, but I'd definitely be questioning it.
-
If we draft another DB early I'm gonna call for his job. Real talk. Unless every other hole on this team gets filled in FA, I dont' want to hear about a DB in the draft.
Lol. We have one of the best DB groups in the NFL already and it has 2 promising rookies on it (Idk what happened to Desir, but maybe he comes around). Idk if I'd call for anybody's job, but I'd definitely be questioning it.
Lol. We have one of the best DB groups in the NFL already and it has 2 promising rookies on it (Idk what happened to Desir, but maybe he comes around). Idk if I'd call for anybody's job, but I'd definitely be questioning it.
the words mad and rage wouldn't do justice to my state of mind if we passed on some stud LB'er or OL/DL in favor of another rookie DB. Unless the next Richard Sherman makes his presence known shortly at the college level...haven't heard of that guy all season though so I'm sticking with my original sentiment. If we pass again on guys that would produce "now" in favor of a project...raging.
-
George C said:
I'm telling you what I think this guys priorities are. Blitz, blitz, blitz when he has the right people. To blitz, you need man corners you can trust.He likes his strength to be their DBs. He has one shut down corner. If he doesn't think Gilbert will develop, expect another next year. Remember it's just my opinion, but his recipe is the same as Rex Ryan.
When he has the right players, look the fuck out on defense.
I would trust him, and calling for his job just cuts your nuts off for the umpteenth time.
If you don't want him, he will have a job 15 minutes later.
You know the browns-bills game ended 28 hours ago, right?
-
i dont think its he doesnt trust his corners. i think he dont trust the pass rush. it dont matter how good urcorners are if the qb has all day in the pocket...George C said:
How has the rage to fire a smart coach over the years been Workin for ha?
I'm telling you what I think this guys priorities are. Blitz, blitz, blitz when he has the right people. To blitz, you need man corners you can trust.He likes his strength to be their DBs. He has one shut down corner. If he doesn't think Gilbert will develop, expect another next year. Remember it's just my opinion, but his recipe is the same as Rex Ryan.
When he has the right players, look the fuck out on defense.
I would trust him, and calling for his job just cuts your nuts off for the umpteenth time.
If you don't want him, he will have a job 15 minutes later.
-
George C said:
How has the rage to fire a smart coach over the years been Workin for ha?
I'm telling you what I think this guys priorities are. Blitz, blitz, blitz when he has the right people. To blitz, you need man corners you can trust.He likes his strength to be their DBs. He has one shut down corner. If he doesn't think Gilbert will develop, expect another next year. Remember it's just my opinion, but his recipe is the same as Rex Ryan.
When he has the right players, look the fuck out on defense.
I would trust him, and calling for his job just cuts your nuts off for the umpteenth time.
If you don't want him, he will have a job 15 minutes later.
Actually, if you watched the browns much this year you would know that we don't blitz that often. It depends on who the browns are up against. Some games are blitz heavy, but most haven't been..
-
Something I'm seeing with the Browns for the first time is the building of a strong core group of players on both O and D. We have been really fortunate with undrafted players like Gabriel, Gipson and the rookie corner (who's name doesn't come to mind right now). Minus the injuries, this is a solid D with a good mix of young players and veterans. I can see the addition of a few DL 's and LB's in the coming draft to round out the D. Gilbert will hopefully come around, but we will probably lose Rubin to FA. I think another year in the system will improve the overall stats, if the group can remain healthy.
I know it's early but my choices for the first round draft are TE and WR. Then DL in round 2 and ILB/OL in rounds 3/4. That would give us a backup for Cameron, a WR to pair with Gordon, a DL to replace Rubin, and a fourth ILB to join the existing three key players we have at that position. An OL can add depth at center and guard.
-
George C said:
How has the rage to fire a smart coach over the years been Workin for ha?
I'm telling you what I think this guys priorities are. Blitz, blitz, blitz when he has the right people. To blitz, you need man corners you can trust.He likes his strength to be their DBs. He has one shut down corner. If he doesn't think Gilbert will develop, expect another next year. Remember it's just my opinion, but his recipe is the same as Rex Ryan.
When he has the right players, look the fuck out on defense.
I would trust him, and calling for his job just cuts your nuts off for the umpteenth time.
If you don't want him, he will have a job 15 minutes later.
Fortunately its Farmer and Haslam calling the shots and not some fan on this board. There's a reason I have that quote from Haslam in my sig.
-
George C said:
If you have shut down corners, you don't have to worry as much about a pass rush because your line will suddenly become studs because of your corners. You will get coverage sacks and picks all day long. It's a sick deal when working right.
(Revis and Cromartie)
Unfortunate that the defenses and style that took the Jets to the AFC champ back to back has been destroyed by the NFL's resounding focus on defensive holding and contact.
Revis and Crow wouldn't have been quite as effective today as they were in 09-11.
This is why I believe the strength of this defense must be in the trenches. If your Dline can generate pressure it greatly diminishes the zerbra's impact on the game.
-
For me, the easy analysis of this D is that it hasn't allowed over 30 points this entire season.
Yes. The run D is porous, but does stiffen up when needed. And has shown improvement over the past month.
The Pass D has been solid all year and is really hitting on all cylinders right now.
So, while we all thought the O was becoming the team identity....to me, the D is the REAL reason we haven't lost more games.....
-
For me, the easy analysis of this D is that it hasn't allowed over 30 points this entire season.
Yes. The run D is porous, but does stiffen up when needed. And has shown improvement over the past month.
The Pass D has been solid all year and is really hitting on all cylinders right now.
So, while we all thought the O was becoming the team identity....to me, the D is the REAL reason we haven't lost more games.....
For me, the easy analysis of this D is that it hasn't allowed over 30 points this entire season.
Yes. The run D is porous, but does stiffen up when needed. And has shown improvement over the past month.
The Pass D has been solid all year and is really hitting on all cylinders right now.
So, while we all thought the O was becoming the team identity....to me, the D is the REAL reason we haven't lost more games.....
Because against the good teams we've played the offense played well. If we played a really good team with both a good offense to keep our defense on the field and a defense that took our offense off the field quickly...you'd get those 30 points. The other factor is that our secondary has become amazing. It's tough to put up showtime numbers on a stout secondary, which is why most teams have decided to test their run game. Basically our defense has still been thoroughly dominated and driven off the ball despite not giving up 30 or more points. Anytime a team runs for 100 yds the front seven was bested...when teams run for way over 100 yds, the front 7 got beasted. To put this in playoff terms, if you don't stop the run in the postseason your defense will get ground up and start to fold in the 2nd half...than the points start rolling in. Teams that have gotten gouged in the run in the playoffs that still made noise were teams with an offense that stayed on the field more than the opposing offense. A team with a Peyton Manning as QB can afford the mantra "we'll stop the run on the way to the QB"...because they know the offense has to start passing early to keep up.
-
The reason we have not given up 30 points is much simpler...
We give up few big plays and as the field compresses we get tough. We have the 4th lowest TD percentage in the red zone at 44.44%.
Early on we had the added advantage of a decisive TOP edge, but as the turnovers have risen that has disappeared.
-
The reason we have not given up 30 points is much simpler...
We give up few big plays and as the field compresses we get tough. We have the 4th lowest TD percentage in the red zone at 44.44%.
Early on we had the added advantage of a decisive TOP edge, but as the turnovers have risen that has disappeared.
The reason we have not given up 30 points is much simpler...
We give up few big plays and as the field compresses we get tough. We have the 4th lowest TD percentage in the red zone at 44.44%.
Early on we had the added advantage of a decisive TOP edge, but as the turnovers have risen that has disappeared.
I see it the same...
Look, all defenses have to concede something......and the other team usually takes what you give them....
We DONT give up the big play, but we DO let em get 5.....it's a trade off....
Ive seen our OLB's working as DE's and working the edge
Ive seen the middle backers dropping and taking away the tight end and short pass game......and that style leaves a few gaps, yes, but fill the gaps and well be bitching about getting burned over the middle or on screens....
Im happy with the direction of the D and think they are getting the scheme down. So, when we are healthy, we should be pretty solid......add a few key guys next year and we could be a top 5 D.....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login