Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. A case for Chris Simms

A case for Chris Simms

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
31 Posts 12 Posters 2.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Solon16 S
    • 2k Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    And a very capable backup if he doesn't beat Quinn out. Was a warrior with the Bucs, sat for two years after blowing out his spleen. I think he was a victim of the complexity of Gruden's schemes and obscenely long terminology coming from Texas's simple terminology. When he got the chance lead the Bucs to the playoffs and is only in his 6th year.....total upside and if quinn turns out to be good....nice trade bait in couple years! Leftwich's delivery is horrendously long and he is SLOW! I think Simms is the very best backup out there!

    Oldcrow1945O E 2 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • plumcrazy73 plumcrazy73P
      • 402 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      plumcrazy73P plumcrazy73 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      he would only come if he knows he can compete for starting job, he is already the back up cause I don't think Collins will be staying around.

      โ€œWhat Can BROWN Do For You!โ€ Record for the year. 9-7 + or - 1 and not being swept by any team in the division.
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • S Solon16

        And a very capable backup if he doesn't beat Quinn out. Was a warrior with the Bucs, sat for two years after blowing out his spleen. I think he was a victim of the complexity of Gruden's schemes and obscenely long terminology coming from Texas's simple terminology. When he got the chance lead the Bucs to the playoffs and is only in his 6th year.....total upside and if quinn turns out to be good....nice trade bait in couple years! Leftwich's delivery is horrendously long and he is SLOW! I think Simms is the very best backup out there!

        Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
        • 1k Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @solon16 said:

        And a very capable backup if he doesn't beat Quinn out.

        If a career back up that couldn't beat out Brad Johnson or Bruce Gradkowski or Brian Greise, could come in to Cleveland and beat out Quinn, you may as well cut Quinn now.

        Simms had a decent year once starting 10 games after Johnson got hurt but looked so horrible the next year that was benched again after two games. Even at Texas, He wasn't what he was billed as. His freshman year he suppose to push Major Applewhite for a starting job but it didn't happen. His sophomore year he again was expcted to start in front of Applewhite and did get some playing time but Applewhite was the starter. In 2.5 years of starting for that simple Texas terminology, Simms threw 31 INT's!

        He's famous for an inaccurate arm and for an inability to read defenses.

        C'mon Solon, do you seriously think he could come in here and beat Quinn out? There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

        I'm not sure why you think the guy is a quality QB. There are reasons he was a third round pick and has never been able to start in the NFL.

        He may be ok as a backup...but if we had to depend on this guy being the starter, The Browns are in serious trouble.

        Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
        S 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

          @solon16 said:

          And a very capable backup if he doesn't beat Quinn out.

          If a career back up that couldn't beat out Brad Johnson or Bruce Gradkowski or Brian Greise, could come in to Cleveland and beat out Quinn, you may as well cut Quinn now.

          Simms had a decent year once starting 10 games after Johnson got hurt but looked so horrible the next year that was benched again after two games. Even at Texas, He wasn't what he was billed as. His freshman year he suppose to push Major Applewhite for a starting job but it didn't happen. His sophomore year he again was expcted to start in front of Applewhite and did get some playing time but Applewhite was the starter. In 2.5 years of starting for that simple Texas terminology, Simms threw 31 INT's!

          He's famous for an inaccurate arm and for an inability to read defenses.

          C'mon Solon, do you seriously think he could come in here and beat Quinn out? There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

          I'm not sure why you think the guy is a quality QB. There are reasons he was a third round pick and has never been able to start in the NFL.

          He may be ok as a backup...but if we had to depend on this guy being the starter, The Browns are in serious trouble.

          Solon16 S
          • 2k Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          oldcow1945 said:

          If a career back up that couldn't beat out Brad Johnson or Bruce Gradkowski or Brian Greise, could come in to Cleveland and beat out Quinn, you may as well cut Quinn now.

          Hey d bag....He was the starter until he freakin RUPTURED his spleen for pete's sake! What planet are you on!

          C'mon Solon, do you seriously think he could come in here and beat Quinn out? There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

          I'm not sure why you think the guy is a quality QB.

          Try reading again!!!! Did I say he could beat out quinn??? I explained why I thought he could be good....geesh!!! He is the best back-up out there IMO....no one close with prime ahead of him!!!

          Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • S Solon16

            And a very capable backup if he doesn't beat Quinn out. Was a warrior with the Bucs, sat for two years after blowing out his spleen. I think he was a victim of the complexity of Gruden's schemes and obscenely long terminology coming from Texas's simple terminology. When he got the chance lead the Bucs to the playoffs and is only in his 6th year.....total upside and if quinn turns out to be good....nice trade bait in couple years! Leftwich's delivery is horrendously long and he is SLOW! I think Simms is the very best backup out there!

            Earl34 E
            • 1k Posts
            • 11 Reputation
            E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @solon16 said:

            And a very capable backup if he doesn't beat Quinn out. Was a warrior with the Bucs, sat for two years after blowing out his spleen. I think he was a victim of the complexity of Gruden's schemes and obscenely long terminology coming from Texas's simple terminology. When he got the chance lead the Bucs to the playoffs and is only in his 6th year.....total upside and if quinn turns out to be good....nice trade bait in couple years! Leftwich's delivery is horrendously long and he is SLOW! I think Simms is the very best backup out there!

            Chris Simms played at Texas before the terminology was simplified. He couldn't beat out the Major and then was GIVEN the starting job. He made a career for Roy Williams of Oklahoma with the "Superman Play". He finally imploded with four turnovers in the Big 12 Championship game and Major came in and rallied the team running out of time at the end. Major then followed it up with a record 473 yard, 4 TD performance in the Holiday Bowl.

            Make no mistake about it. Chris Simms has been over-rated since he was in diapers (and yes, I did see every game he played in Austin). I do, however, applaud him for some growth as a pro and the toughness he showed when he ruptured his spleen but splenectomy doesn't make you an NFL QB.

            I have to rest at the bottom line however and that is that this guy couldn't beat out Bruce Gradkowski and Brian Griese.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • S Solon16

              oldcow1945 said:

              If a career back up that couldn't beat out Brad Johnson or Bruce Gradkowski or Brian Greise, could come in to Cleveland and beat out Quinn, you may as well cut Quinn now.

              Hey d bag....He was the starter until he freakin RUPTURED his spleen for pete's sake! What planet are you on!

              C'mon Solon, do you seriously think he could come in here and beat Quinn out? There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

              I'm not sure why you think the guy is a quality QB.

              Try reading again!!!! Did I say he could beat out quinn??? I explained why I thought he could be good....geesh!!! He is the best back-up out there IMO....no one close with prime ahead of him!!!

              Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
              • 1k Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @solon16 said:

              Hey d bag.

              Hey d bag?

              Well, I see having a debate with Solon is no longer worth my while.

              There is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But it's obvious you can't do it without making it personal. Never did I once attack you personally. Only with the idea of Simms beating out Quinn for the starting job.

              It doesn't take long for a lot of people to show what kind of person they are.

              The reason I love this board is the intelligence is higher than so many boards. The guys and girls like you are few and far between. But you sir, are an exception.

              When I say he was benched after the second game, I meant in totality. I meant he left and was never back again. Never off the bench to start again....Which would never happen with a true starter unless it's a Tom brady situation. TB never had a QB and even after Simms healed they wanted no part of him.

              None the less, You said Simms would be a guy that may even beat Quinn out....I think I read it well. As I said before, If that happens you may as well cut Quinn now.

              Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
              S 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Solon16 S
                • 2k Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @hiwaygal said:

                ummm...from your original post:

                Sure seems to me that you implied he could.

                You obviously missed the thread stating as competition to Quinn....If he can't beat out Quinn great...he'll be good trade bait later...title= A case for Chriss Simms as competition for Quinn...do you see anywhere in the thread where I state Simms will beat out Quinn??? NO!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

                  @solon16 said:

                  Hey d bag.

                  Hey d bag?

                  Well, I see having a debate with Solon is no longer worth my while.

                  There is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But it's obvious you can't do it without making it personal. Never did I once attack you personally. Only with the idea of Simms beating out Quinn for the starting job.

                  It doesn't take long for a lot of people to show what kind of person they are.

                  The reason I love this board is the intelligence is higher than so many boards. The guys and girls like you are few and far between. But you sir, are an exception.

                  When I say he was benched after the second game, I meant in totality. I meant he left and was never back again. Never off the bench to start again....Which would never happen with a true starter unless it's a Tom brady situation. TB never had a QB and even after Simms healed they wanted no part of him.

                  None the less, You said Simms would be a guy that may even beat Quinn out....I think I read it well. As I said before, If that happens you may as well cut Quinn now.

                  Solon16 S
                  • 2k Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  S Solon16 wrote on last edited by Solon16
                  #8

                  oldcow1945 said:

                  Hey d bag?

                  Well, I see having a debate with Solon is no longer worth my while.

                  There is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But it's obvious you can't do it without making it personal. Never did I once attack you personally. Only with the idea of Simms beating out Quinn for the starting job.

                  It doesn't take long for a lot of people to show what kind of person they are.

                  The reason I love this board is the intelligence is higher than so many boards. The guys and girls like you are few and far between. But you sir, are an exception.

                  When I say he was benched after the second game, I meant in totality. I meant he left and was never back again. Never off the bench to start again....Which would never happen with a true starter unless it's a Tom brady situation. TB never had a QB and even after Simms healed they wanted no part of him.

                  None the less, You said Simms would be a guy that may even beat Quinn out....I think I read it well. As I said before, If that happens you may as well cut Quinn now.

                  You didn't debate..... you threw completely false info about him not beating out other QB's when he in FACT was the starter and got them to the playoffs as a starter then busted his spleen and hasn't played since! What debate?

                  Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 9k Posts
                    • 2k Reputation
                    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
                    #9

                    Solon...You questioned Quinns ability to hang on to the job if Simms came aboard when you said if he didn't beat out Quinn.

                    Most people here know Quinn is the best ever and his farts smell like brownies in the oven, so to even throw out such a statement will keep you out of the board inner circle.

                    I know where you were coming from....don't worry about it.

                    If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 9k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @shepwrite said:

                      Suggesting that Simms could beat out Quinn is clearly throwing in the towel on your first round franchise quarterback before he even gets a chance to prove himself, right? Anybody encouraged by that notion?

                      You're up bright and early....don't usually see you here until around 10.....errr...7 am where you live.

                      I don't think he was really saying that and throwing a towel on anything.

                      If anything all it says is Quinn still has question marks...and I don't think it unfair to pose that possibility.

                      If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 9k Posts
                        • 2k Reputation
                        ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I like Boston...been there for many meetings over the years...though it can be a bit cold this time of year.

                        I won't argue the commit deal...and touched on that in another thread you probably just read.

                        If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Aloysius ?
                          • Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @shepwrite said:

                          I'm in Boston this week. Beautiful day, actually.

                          Nah, it's fackin' cold.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • dencyguy D
                            • 481 Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @shepwrite said:

                            Suggesting that Simms could beat out Quinn is clearly throwing in the towel on your first round franchise quarterback before he even gets a chance to prove himself, right? Anybody encouraged by that notion?

                            Not necessarily...presumably Quinn could, theoretically, be beaten out. I mean, it might take getting Jesus to come out of retirement, but there is a possibility.

                            The Browns have cut Dorsey, and will probably trade Anderson. Although I hate going out on a limb, I would put the odds at about 55-60% that they look to sign or trade for another QB on the roster before the season starts. I know, it's like ordering a hamburger when the waiter's aready bringing you a filet mignon, but a lot of teams like to have two QBs on the roster (even though none of them have Quinn, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison).

                            I like the idea of bringing in a #2 QB who could be a #1--even if that ain't Simms. Otherwise, are you suggesting that the Browns bring in a #2 who sucks, so as not to admit even the possibility that they might need him? Who would that be? Bring Dorsey back? Mike Pagel? Stephen Hawking?

                            Dennis

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 9k Posts
                              • 2k Reputation
                              ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                              #14
                              Stephen Hawking?

                              LOL....he would understand the playbook for sure....though he might have a hard time calling out plays and wouldn't be very mobile.

                              If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                              D 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Aloysius ?
                                • Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Yeah, you're right; it's not that bad.

                                [resuming morning crankiness]

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • ballpeenB ballpeen
                                  Stephen Hawking?

                                  LOL....he would understand the playbook for sure....though he might have a hard time calling out plays and wouldn't be very mobile.

                                  dencyguy D
                                  • 481 Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @ballpeen said:

                                  LOL....he would understand the playbook for sure....though he might have a hard time calling out plays and wouldn't be very mobile.

                                  The big problem would be audibling, especially in the Cleveland winters. Those keyboards can freeze up something fierce.

                                  Dennis

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Pumpkin Eater P
                                    • 4k Posts
                                    • 297 Reputation
                                    P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    He would be a great backup.

                                    If Quinn implodes for some reason he would be servicable as a starter until smoeone else could be found. They guy played half a game with a ruptured spleen... and almost pulled out a comeback victory against the Panthers.

                                    :neutral_face:
                                    S 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • P Pumpkin Eater

                                      He would be a great backup.

                                      If Quinn implodes for some reason he would be servicable as a starter until smoeone else could be found. They guy played half a game with a ruptured spleen... and almost pulled out a comeback victory against the Panthers.

                                      Solon16 S
                                      • 2k Posts
                                      • 0 Reputation
                                      S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @pumpkin-eater said:

                                      He would be a great backup.

                                      If Quinn implodes for some reason he would be servicable as a starter until smoeone else could be found. They guy played half a game with a ruptured spleen... and almost pulled out a comeback victory against the Panthers.

                                      All i'M SAYING IS.... i WANT A CAPABLE BACKUP...I f I have to watch the talent level of Dorsey ever again will be too soon...I'm not sold on Quinn like most on this board....the dude has zero Nfl resume to date...3 games and quarter won't get you a cup of coffee...He may turn out great and all for it... but what happens if he gets hurt or just plain sheots the bed??? Gimmie Simms, hell if you twist hard enough I'll take grossman.

                                      hate to say it to all you...pink shirt #10 wearer's..................

                                      Our best move may even be keeping DA

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • dencyguy D
                                        • 481 Posts
                                        • 0 Reputation
                                        D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Here are two QB's career stats in the NFL in their three most active years:

                                        QB A: 2004: 5 games, 42-73 (57.5%), 467 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT (64.1 QB Rating)

                                        2005: 11 games, 191-313 (61.0%), 2,035 yards, 10 TD, 7 INT (81.4 QB Rating)

                                        2006: 3 games, 58-106 (54.7%), 585 yards, 1 TD, 7 INT (46.3 QB Rating)

                                        Career Stats: 19 games 291-492 (59.1%), 3,087 yards, 12 TD, 17 INT (71.2 QB Rating)

                                        QB B: 2006: 5 games, 66-117 (56.4%), 793 yards, 5 TD, 8 INT (63.1 QB Rating)

                                        2007: 16 games, 298-527 (56.5%), 3787 yards, 29 TD, 19 INT (82.5 QB Rating)

                                        2008: 10 games, 142-283 (50.2%), 1615 yards, 9 TD, 8 INT (66.5 QB Rating)

                                        Career Stats: 31 games, 506-927 (54.6%), 43 TD, 35 INT (75.1 QB Rating)

                                        QB A is Chris Simms. QB B is Derek Anderson.

                                        So, aside from the fact that he got hurt once and kept playing, what about Simms' career makes him an appealing candidate?

                                        Dennis

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Solon16 S
                                          • 2k Posts
                                          • 0 Reputation
                                          S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          AS backup what doesn't? He's taken his team to the playoffs, has pedigree, has a great mentor, knows what it takes , is young with good upside. who do you want dency? whose your Choice ? want to keep DA? you want leftwich? How about Kyle Boller? ๐Ÿ˜„

                                          L D Oldcrow1945O 3 Replies Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better ๐Ÿ’—

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate