Skip to content

It's Hoyer

The Browns Board
314 59 11.9k
  • ...OK.

  • National Map - Hoyer 52% vs Manziel 48% :

    http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=nfl&pollId=4610452

    Really it makes sense, Hoyer has more experience reading Defenses so I can see him starting.

    Now if it goes bad, I won't be surprised to see Manziel put in.

    Team has way more problems than Hoyer though.

    Also :

    The Cleveland Browns' faith in Brian Hoyer continues, and so does Johnny Manziel's spot on the bench.

    After two days of deliberation, Cleveland will start Hoyer for the 13th straight game Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, a source confirmed to ESPN.com on Wednesday.

    [+] Enlargenfl_g_hoyer_kh_300x200.jpg
    Jason Miller/Getty ImagesBrowns quarterback Brian Hoyer has no touchdowns and five interceptions during the past two weeks.

    If the Browns were to lose Sunday, a source said that a possible scenario would be for Manziel to start the final three games of the season.

    Fox Sports first reported that Hoyer would start Sunday.

    Hoyer has guided the Browns to seven wins, but his recent struggles had left the door cracked for Manziel, who completed 5-of-8 passes for 63 yards and a 10-yard touchdown run in relief during a 26-10 loss to Buffalo on Sunday.

    Coach Mike Pettine, the Browns coaching staff and general manager Ray Farmer on Tuesday discussed the pros and cons of starting each quarterback -- Hoyer providing experience and leadership; Manziel providing a spark but lack of experience during a playoff push.

    Hoyer has thrown one touchdown pass and has had six interceptions in his last 15 quarters, including an erratic two-turnover performance in Buffalo. Hoyer publicly stated his case for the job in the locker room Monday, saying quarterbacks don't luck into a 7-5 record.

    Manziel stated his case on the field in Buffalo by orchestrating an 80-yard touchdown drive, completing three of his first four passes for 54 yards.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11972589/brian-hoyer-cleveland-browns-start-johnny-manziel

  • Until he throws an interception or two.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Until he throws an interception or two.

    Which is horseshit. Why is it a good idea to throw a rookie in the game after the team is losing? Why not start Manziel, so he has the best chance to succeed? Either that, or don't put him in at all.

  • Last chance, Brian... make us proud.

  • obviously they didn't read the Browns Board poll.....the boo birds will be perched and ready.....

    @mudfly said:

    obviously they didn't read the Browns Board poll.....the boo birds will be perched and ready.....

    Let's hope for his sake he doesn't get booed out of his home stadium and plays well.

    This is the decision I expected though, if the offense doesn't get it going in the 1st half I suspect Manziel will be suited for the 2nd, regardless if Brian throws picks or not he has to lead good drives no -6 yard quarters.

  • Last chance, Brian... make us proud.

    @tour2ma said:

    Last chance, Brian... make us proud.

    Yep.

    I really hate how the Media has thrown Hoyer under the Bus.

    Damn, the guy's brought us to 7 - 5 with all the problems we've still got to solve.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Last chance, Brian... make us proud.

    Yep.

    I really hate how the Media has thrown Hoyer under the Bus.

    Damn, the guy's brought us to 7 - 5 with all the problems we've still got to solve.

    @jafbf said:

    Yep.

    I really hate how the Media has thrown Hoyer under the Bus.

    Damn, the guy's brought us to 7 - 5 with all the problems we've still got to solve.

    I wouldn't excuse his bad play, but I wouldn't forget his good play either.

    The only thing that I found wrong is everyone jumping on him for only being about himself, not the team, etc.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Until he throws an interception or two.

    Which is horseshit. Why is it a good idea to throw a rookie in the game after the team is losing? Why not start Manziel, so he has the best chance to succeed? Either that, or don't put him in at all.

    @billy-cool said:

    Which is horseshit. Why is it a good idea to throw a rookie in the game after the team is losing? Why not start Manziel, so he has the best chance to succeed? Either that, or don't put him in at all.

    I get your point but any game experience is better than none. You can't simulate a real game day experience. So even if they are losing when he goes in, its still good for him to get real exposure.

  • I've always seen both sides of this, but this is the game Hoyer makes it or breaks it. Hell, I'd tell him his leash is half-time. If the fire isn't lit under his ass to play well by then it's time to move forward.

  • I've always seen both sides of this, but this is the game Hoyer makes it or breaks it. Hell, I'd tell him his leash is half-time. If the fire isn't lit under his ass to play well by then it's time to move forward.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I've always seen both sides of this, but this is the game Hoyer makes it or breaks it. Hell, I'd tell him his leash is half-time. If the fire isn't lit under his ass to play well by then it's time to move forward.

    I think we may see a bit less of a conservative Brian...which could be good, but it could also be bad if aggressiveness turns into recklessness.

  • Well.... I would say this is his last chance, but then again I thought the last game was after two stinkers in a row. Just get the W guys.

  • The good news for Brian is that he has shown the ability to perform well in clutch situations......and this will be his ultimate opportunity to show that.....

    So.....Time to go big or go home....

  • It isn't just about Hoyer. The entire offense needs to play better. The Oline, the backs, Gordon. If these things improve, you'll see the QB be successful as well.

    That said, if Hoyer trips over himself, I do hope that Johnny cuts the late nights out this week and gets extra reps in after practice.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I've always seen both sides of this, but this is the game Hoyer makes it or breaks it. Hell, I'd tell him his leash is half-time. If the fire isn't lit under his ass to play well by then it's time to move forward.

    I think we may see a bit less of a conservative Brian...which could be good, but it could also be bad if aggressiveness turns into recklessness.

    @bbedward said:

    I think we may see a bit less of a conservative Brian...which could be good, but it could also be bad if aggressiveness turns into recklessness.

    Problem is, I think part of his last two bad games has been him trying to force the ball to Gordon.

    He needs to go back to spreading it around like earlier and he'll have better success.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Until he throws an interception or two.

    Which is horseshit. Why is it a good idea to throw a rookie in the game after the team is losing? Why not start Manziel, so he has the best chance to succeed? Either that, or don't put him in at all.

    @billy-cool said:

    Which is horseshit. Why is it a good idea to throw a rookie in the game after the team is losing? Why not start Manziel, so he has the best chance to succeed? Either that, or don't put him in at all.

    I don't think he should have put JFF last week. Now, it appears to me that it was a lesson to Hoyer to perform better or sayonara.

  • "Brian Hoyer got us to 7-5"

    But it's NEVER his fault when we lose. Ever.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I've always seen both sides of this, but this is the game Hoyer makes it or breaks it. Hell, I'd tell him his leash is half-time. If the fire isn't lit under his ass to play well by then it's time to move forward.

    I think we may see a bit less of a conservative Brian...which could be good, but it could also be bad if aggressiveness turns into recklessness.

    @bbedward said:

    I think we may see a bit less of a conservative Brian...which could be good, but it could also be bad if aggressiveness turns into recklessness.

    Can't see less conservative being good... Only thing BH has that I see giving him the start is decision making.

    @tiamat63 said:

    It isn't just about Hoyer. The entire offense needs to play better. The Oline, the backs, Gordon. If these things improve, you'll see the QB be successful as well.

    Agree... BH has to lead a team win that has to start with the O-line.

  • It isn't just about Hoyer. The entire offense needs to play better. The Oline, the backs, Gordon. If these things improve, you'll see the QB be successful as well.

    That said, if Hoyer trips over himself, I do hope that Johnny cuts the late nights out this week and gets extra reps in after practice.

    @tiamat63 said:

    It isn't just about Hoyer. The entire offense needs to play better. The Oline, the backs, Gordon. If these things improve, you'll see the QB be successful as well.

    That said, if Hoyer trips over himself, I do hope that Johnny cuts the late nights out this week and gets extra reps in after practice.

    Yeah, WR's need to fight for the ball, not drop passes, and the RB's need to hang onto to the ball.

    Would also be nice to not have to go to the 3rd String Center this game . . . maybe I need to add that we don't need to see the 4th or 5th String C as well.

    Manziel turns 22 on Saturday - he needs to keep the celebration under control in case he does need to come in.

  • "Brian Hoyer got us to 7-5"

    But it's NEVER his fault when we lose. Ever.

    @walterwhite said:

    "Brian Hoyer got us to 7-5"

    But it's NEVER his fault when we lose. Ever.

    The team got themselves to 7-5. Pettine puts its as best as anyone can - the QB gets too much credit in a win and too much blame in a loss.

    I'm still hoping to see Tour's Oline breakdown for this past game shortly, I'm certain the coaching staff saw that as well.

  • "Brian Hoyer got us to 7-5"

    But it's NEVER his fault when we lose. Ever.

    @walterwhite said:

    "Brian Hoyer got us to 7-5"

    But it's NEVER his fault when we lose. Ever.

    Yes it is, but more often that not he's either brought us back or kept us in it for the most part.

    Brian's not perfect, but he's the best QB we've had in ages.