Skip to content

The Pistol

The Browns Board
29 12 1.2k
  • From what I remember we used pistol a lot more in the first few games. As the season went on with hoyer we used it less and less. My theory is that as the team was learning the offense (earlier in the year) they used a set that more basic plays are ran from. As the team progressed and learned it was used less. Switching to JF made us need to go back to a more basic and limited offense, hence more plays from the pistol. It is also JF strong formation, or is supposed to be at least.

    Not sure how on or off this assessment may be, but its what I thought.

  • Wish they would've ran the offense Hoyer ran. Seemed like everyone was off on offense. Timing and everything

    @typicalbrowns said:

    Wish they would've ran the offense Hoyer ran. Seemed like everyone was off on offense. Timing and everything

    I Totally agree. I will admit JM looked like shit and at times he looked way over whelmed. This is just my observation tho, the total offense looked like they were all confused, and not on the same page. I believe its because they went pistol and read option so much, the line and everyone else was not familiar in playing that style. So my blame is more on the staff that they played a style the O was not used to playing. Go back to the original style, and let JM scramble and ad-lib if needed. Just My 2 cents.

  • Wish they would've ran the offense Hoyer ran. Seemed like everyone was off on offense. Timing and everything

    @typicalbrowns said:

    Wish they would've ran the offense Hoyer ran. Seemed like everyone was off on offense. Timing and everything

    Manziel never really played under center in college maybe that's part of it. Regardless running pistol every series didn't seem to help him.

  • True, bb... but I had the impression that JM had more success under center. Certainly seemed like his play action while dropping had more impact than his keeps off the read from the Pistol.

    Anyway looks like Leg gets the memory award...

    After very early, impassioned affair with the pistol, we put it away for the most part except for a little flirting. Usually in situations where we were behind... Dawggie style?

    Week-Pistols/Plays

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

    15 -

    Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

  • True, bb... but I had the impression that JM had more success under center. Certainly seemed like his play action while dropping had more impact than his keeps off the read from the Pistol.

    Anyway looks like Leg gets the memory award...

    After very early, impassioned affair with the pistol, we put it away for the most part except for a little flirting. Usually in situations where we were behind... Dawggie style?

    Week-Pistols/Plays

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

    15 -

    Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

    @tour2ma said:

    Anyway looks like Leg gets the memory award...

    That's pretty impressive given all the weed I used to smoke. My quitting now seems so validated.

    As for my theory of a possible more simplified version of Shanny's offense being run from the pistol, any thoughts?

  • Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

  • Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    @tacosman said:

    Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    😆

  • Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    @tacosman said:

    Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    But I thought JF was a playmaker?

  • Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    Ultimately he probably is, Leg...

    @tacosman said:

    Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

  • @everlastingxxx said:

    They need to work on it more. Just not enough reps changing the offense to something completely different. I think they will be better this week.

    Wow way to go out on a limb

  • Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    @tacosman said:

    Look ultimately it probably doesn't matter what offense the browns run with JF. Playmakers make plays....whether it's the pistol, read option, I, etc....

    Turn off your Xbox.

  • True, bb... but I had the impression that JM had more success under center. Certainly seemed like his play action while dropping had more impact than his keeps off the read from the Pistol.

    Anyway looks like Leg gets the memory award...

    After very early, impassioned affair with the pistol, we put it away for the most part except for a little flirting. Usually in situations where we were behind... Dawggie style?

    Week-Pistols/Plays

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

    15 -

    Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

    @tour2ma said:

    Week-Pistols/Plays

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

    15 -

    Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

    Curious..... is it tomorrow yet? 🙂

    Haha.....appreciate all you do, so no rush....but still wondering....how many pistol formations last week????

  • @everlastingxxx said:

    They need to work on it more. Just not enough reps changing the offense to something completely different. I think they will be better this week.

    I think it is a great way to get Manziel murdered.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    I think it is a great way to get Manziel murdered.

    It's also a good way to put interior lineman on IR.

    GO BROWNS !

  • @tour2ma said:

    Week-Pistols/Plays

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 2/38 at the half vs. IND

    15 -

    Complete Wks 14 & 15 to come... maybe tomorrow.

    Curious..... is it tomorrow yet? 🙂

    Haha.....appreciate all you do, so no rush....but still wondering....how many pistol formations last week????

    @mudfly said:

    Curious..... is it tomorrow yet? 🙂

    Haha.....appreciate all you do, so no rush....but still wondering....how many pistol formations last week????

    I can send you a PM with my PayPal addy... 🙂

    This past week, as you are likely now aware, our Pistol count was:

    Week 15 22/42 vs. CIN ... Even added a "Full-House" pistol.

    Also ran 2 in IND's 2nd half for a total of 4/64.

    And Ever... I saw a grand total of 2 read-options vs. CIN.

    The first JM kept after a gross misread, and the DE buried him.

    The second was a near disaster as West bobbled the ball on his way to an 8-yard gain.

    A few other Pistols had Read-option looks, but weren't. They were either predetermined hand-offs or PAP calls.

  • @mudfly said:

    Curious..... is it tomorrow yet? 🙂

    Haha.....appreciate all you do, so no rush....but still wondering....how many pistol formations last week????

    I can send you a PM with my PayPal addy... 🙂

    This past week, as you are likely now aware, our Pistol count was:

    Week 15 22/42 vs. CIN ... Even added a "Full-House" pistol.

    Also ran 2 in IND's 2nd half for a total of 4/64.

    And Ever... I saw a grand total of 2 read-options vs. CIN.

    The first JM kept after a gross misread, and the DE buried him.

    The second was a near disaster as West bobbled the ball on his way to an 8-yard gain.

    A few other Pistols had Read-option looks, but weren't. They were either predetermined hand-offs or PAP calls.

    @tour2ma said:

    I can send you a PM with my PayPal addy... 🙂

    This past week, as you are likely now aware, our Pistol count was:

    Week 15 22/42 vs. CIN ... Even added a "Full-House" pistol.

    Also ran 2 in IND's 2nd half for a total of 4/64.

    And Ever... I saw a grand total of 2 read-options vs. CIN.

    The first JM kept after a gross misread, and the DE buried him.

    The second was a near disaster as West bobbled the ball on his way to an 8-yard gain.

    A few other Pistols had Read-option looks, but weren't. They were either predetermined hand-offs or PAP calls.

    Great thanks.....so compiled....

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 4/64 -- @ Indy

    15 - 22/42 -- @Cinn

    Wow! Big difference.....

    So, ima guess this is an attempt to "utilize" JFF's special skills? As opposed to asking him to perform more like a prototype pocket QB?

    I know Ive heard many say we should adopt a special offensive system that highlights his strengths and all....but now maybe they're saying "why did we change things up for Johnny?"....I dunno...

    So, this week do we go back to the Hoyer style offense and not use JFF's skills?....or do we stick with the JFF's Special offense and put him(and the team) in a difficult position because it's not what Hoyer had??

  • @tour2ma said:

    I can send you a PM with my PayPal addy... 🙂

    This past week, as you are likely now aware, our Pistol count was:

    Week 15 22/42 vs. CIN ... Even added a "Full-House" pistol.

    Also ran 2 in IND's 2nd half for a total of 4/64.

    And Ever... I saw a grand total of 2 read-options vs. CIN.

    The first JM kept after a gross misread, and the DE buried him.

    The second was a near disaster as West bobbled the ball on his way to an 8-yard gain.

    A few other Pistols had Read-option looks, but weren't. They were either predetermined hand-offs or PAP calls.

    Great thanks.....so compiled....

    01 - 21/67 - @PTG

    02 - 12/75 - NO

    03 - 6/62 -- BLT

    05 - 5/78 -- @TN

    06 - 1/59 -- PTG

    07 - 8/76 -- @JAX

    08 - 3/56 -- OAK

    09 - 1/65 -- TB

    10 - 1/77 -- @CIN

    11 - 4/72 -- HOU

    12 - 3/76 -- @ATL

    13 - 3/70 -- @BUF

    14 - 4/64 -- @ Indy

    15 - 22/42 -- @Cinn

    Wow! Big difference.....

    So, ima guess this is an attempt to "utilize" JFF's special skills? As opposed to asking him to perform more like a prototype pocket QB?

    I know Ive heard many say we should adopt a special offensive system that highlights his strengths and all....but now maybe they're saying "why did we change things up for Johnny?"....I dunno...

    So, this week do we go back to the Hoyer style offense and not use JFF's skills?....or do we stick with the JFF's Special offense and put him(and the team) in a difficult position because it's not what Hoyer had??

    @mudfly said:

    Great thanks.....so compiled....

    Except IND and CIN were home games...

    The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

    The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

  • The offense for Hoyer was better. Play action and run

  • @mudfly said:

    Great thanks.....so compiled....

    Except IND and CIN were home games...

    The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

    The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

    @tour2ma said:

    Except IND and CIN were home games...

    The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

    The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

    It was pretty clear that Cinci decided to force the pass by being 100% committed to stopping the run. Pretty much saying to us "if your gonna beat us, JFF and the passing game are the only way.....""

    I wonder if this was charted and planned...or was shanny reacting, rather than attempting to dictate....

    Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Except IND and CIN were home games...

    The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

    The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

    It was pretty clear that Cinci decided to force the pass by being 100% committed to stopping the run. Pretty much saying to us "if your gonna beat us, JFF and the passing game are the only way.....""

    I wonder if this was charted and planned...or was shanny reacting, rather than attempting to dictate....

    Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

    @mudfly said:

    It was pretty clear that Cinci decided to force the pass by being 100% committed to stopping the run. Pretty much saying to us "if your gonna beat us, JFF and the passing game are the only way.....""

    I wonder if this was charted and planned...or was shanny reacting, rather than attempting to dictate....

    Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

    Pretty much what everybody was saying teams were doing to Hoyer then?

    I don't understand running so many pistol sets in the game, non-adaptable game planning by shanahan. Maybe the coaches saw something on tape that they thought they could exploit cincy with.

    Regardless, the fact the offense wasn't working should have provoked shanahan to make some changes - but it didn't.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Except IND and CIN were home games...

    The pistol has been neck and neck with the I as our least effective set all year. It's high use rate had to contribute to our poor showing vs. CIN. It certainly did nothing to showcase JM's skills, which is the only plausible reason to use it.

    The Pistol is a significantly weaker platform for play-action and it absolutely eliminates bootlegs. Both have been staples of this offense all year. Sprinkle it in? Sure. Feature it? No....

    It was pretty clear that Cinci decided to force the pass by being 100% committed to stopping the run. Pretty much saying to us "if your gonna beat us, JFF and the passing game are the only way.....""

    I wonder if this was charted and planned...or was shanny reacting, rather than attempting to dictate....

    Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

    @mudfly said:

    Was the Pistol equal through the game, or did the reps "increase" or "decrease" as the game went on?....any notable in game adjustments in terms of that?

    But.. but... but... Johnny was supposed to put an end to stacking vs. the run. So if it did not that means that people here were lying to us... StockBoy was lying to us... *sniff*

    Now to bizness... I am very close to offering subscriptions... 🙂

    1st Half

    S1: 3 plays ... no pistols

    S2: 3 plays ... 2 power pistols

    S3: 5 plays ... 2 pistols and 2 power pistols

    S4: 3 plays ... no pistols

    S5:11 plays ... 6 pistols

    2nd Half

    S6: 3 plays ... 3 pistols

    S7: 3 plays ... 3 pistols

    S8: 7 plays ... 3 pistols

    S9: 3 plays ... no pistols

    S10:1 plays ... nada pistol

    JM was under center only 4 times the entire game: 2 I's, 1 power I, and one SingleBack.

    I feel pretty safe in saying that SB has been our most productive formation this year...

    ... but if you ask for the data I will cut you off.