Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. The Hobbit, Battle of Five Armies.

The Hobbit, Battle of Five Armies.

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
65 Posts 8 Posters 2.9k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 20k Posts
    • 5k Reputation
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Resident Tolkien Fanatic checking in. Yall want some battles- you got it.

    I'm not going to rate it- or give away too many spoilers, because I can't hardly be objective. If you've read the books- you have to know by now Jackson took some serious artistic license on several points- Azog should never have been in any of the movies- the Dwarves killed him off in the Battle in front of the gates of Moria. Of course, you have to enhance a few scenes for screenplay drama.

    I will say the White Council rescuing Gandalf from Dol Gildur is way cool- and again- us Lore Masters know they weren't really sure at the time if that was Sauron or not.

    Complaints? Jackson could have done a better job of tying up the loose ends at Erebor. Positives are he did a pretty good job of linking the Hobbit into what happens 60 years later in Lord of the Rings.

    So if you're a Tolkien fanatic it's must see. And if you're into action adventure, it's certainly worth a look.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • USFBrown USFBrownU Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 2k Posts
      • 270 Reputation
      USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Can't wait to see this. I don't mind it was three movies, I know its partially money grab and partially Jacksons vision. But if it has lotr, take my money!

      How'd you get to see it early?

      hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • USFBrownU USFBrown

        Can't wait to see this. I don't mind it was three movies, I know its partially money grab and partially Jacksons vision. But if it has lotr, take my money!

        How'd you get to see it early?

        hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 20k Posts
        • 5k Reputation
        hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @usfbrown said:

        Can't wait to see this. I don't mind it was three movies, I know its partially money grab and partially Jacksons vision. But if it has lotr, take my money!

        How'd you get to see it early?

        Definitely has a "Return of the King" feel to it. As to how I got to see it early- Midnight showing. Since I usually don't get off work until 11:30 no big deal. 🙂

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
          • 57k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
          #4

          FYI, though some parts and characters were fabrications of Jackson's, other significant parts of the first two movies that were not in "The Hobbit" book actually came out of the Silmarillion. e.g. a lot of the history/background scenes plus some of the necromancer stuff.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
            • 15k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I usually like fantastical movies but neither the movies or tolkeins books could hold my interest. There's so much better than "lord of the rings" out there.

            Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
            The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • T The Cysko Kid

              I usually like fantastical movies but neither the movies or tolkeins books could hold my interest. There's so much better than "lord of the rings" out there.

              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @the-cysko-kid said:

              I usually like fantastical movies but neither the movies or tolkeins books could hold my interest. There's so much better than "lord of the rings" out there.

              I would like to know what you think is better.

              T 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • gftChris gftChrisG
                • 13k Posts
                • 428 Reputation
                gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I used to think the same about more movies = better, but then the hobbit got stretched over three movies? That book was smaller than each of the three main books which got only one movie each.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                  • 28k Posts
                  • 6k Reputation
                  DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  I liked Lord of the Rings. Didn't think I would until I caught a marathon a TV a few years back.

                  "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • The GipperT The Gipper

                    @the-cysko-kid said:

                    I usually like fantastical movies but neither the movies or tolkeins books could hold my interest. There's so much better than "lord of the rings" out there.

                    I would like to know what you think is better.

                    The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                    • 15k Posts
                    • 2k Reputation
                    T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @the-gipper said:

                    I would like to know what you think is better.

                    In book form? Martin's game of thrones series is wildly better. David eddings' 'the Belgariad' and 'the malloreon' were both better epics. Even weak juvenile shit like Weiss and Hickman were better. Harry fuckin' potter was better. Tolkien sucks balls. The Lord of the rings sucked.

                    I've suffered through the first lord of the rings movie and it blew. Trash. I will not ever watch another.

                    Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                    The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 10k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Cysko, I can't get on board with that. I just can't.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                        • 15k Posts
                        • 2k Reputation
                        T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        God forbid I don't share anyone's fan boy love of unreadable British fantasy. Did you ever try to read 'the silmorillian'? It's way more effective than ambien.

                        Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                        LogicIsForSquaresL 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • T The Cysko Kid

                          @the-gipper said:

                          I would like to know what you think is better.

                          In book form? Martin's game of thrones series is wildly better. David eddings' 'the Belgariad' and 'the malloreon' were both better epics. Even weak juvenile shit like Weiss and Hickman were better. Harry fuckin' potter was better. Tolkien sucks balls. The Lord of the rings sucked.

                          I've suffered through the first lord of the rings movie and it blew. Trash. I will not ever watch another.

                          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                          • 57k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @the-cysko-kid said:

                          In book form? Martin's game of thrones series is wildly better. David eddings' 'the Belgariad' and 'the malloreon' were both better epics. Even weak juvenile shit like Weiss and Hickman were better. Harry fuckin' potter was better. Tolkien sucks balls. The Lord of the rings sucked.

                          I've suffered through the first lord of the rings movie and it blew. Trash. I will not ever watch another.

                          I am talking about the movies, not the books.

                          Anyone can have an opinion about some fantasy sci-fi book being better or not. There are too many of those to compare....though some say that the Dune series is the one great series that could match LOTR. (We used to have a Steeler fan on here that propped up the Hyperion/Endymion series. I read them and liked them)

                          But for this, just stick to just movies.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                            • 39k Posts
                            • 9k Reputation
                            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Heh

                            Well I've read Lord of the Rings trilogy probably 18 times. Not for many years though and love them.

                            I like Game of Thrones a lot but never tried either of your others. Read a few books of the Wheel of Time, goes nowhere really.

                            The Bartimaeus trilogy is great I like that it lost. Never started Harry fucking Potter.

                            WSS

                            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                              • 28k Posts
                              • 6k Reputation
                              DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Harry Potter what a joke. Some gay English kids flying around on Broomsticks

                              "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                • 15k Posts
                                • 2k Reputation
                                T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                "No one in The Lord of the Rings can say so much as 'hand me that spoon' without risking a response like, 'Do you mean Fobulir, the Spoon of Dessert? Forged in Glomiel during the reign of Hothemor, this spoon has ferried rich custards to the beards of kings and dwarves, and all sing of its unparalleled elegance of curvature. Use it with care, my friend; gladly do I give it.' I dont know what things cost in Middle Earth, but I bet everyones paying too much."

                                Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                  • 15k Posts
                                  • 2k Reputation
                                  T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  As far as movies go give me "the princess bride" over "lord of the rings" any day.

                                  Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                    • 15k Posts
                                    • 2k Reputation
                                    T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    Steve I know you've got an xbox. If you like high fantasy do yourself a favor and go get skyrim.

                                    Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                      • 39k Posts
                                      • 9k Reputation
                                      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      X Box One

                                      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

                                        Harry Potter what a joke. Some gay English kids flying around on Broomsticks

                                        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                        • 57k Posts
                                        • 4k Reputation
                                        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @diehardbrownsfan said:

                                        Harry Potter what a joke. Some gay English kids flying around on Broomsticks

                                        Harry Potter is great.....and it was not just for kids. And to my knowledge none of the characters depicted were gay.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                                          • 28k Posts
                                          • 6k Reputation
                                          DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          In your opinion. Not mine.

                                          "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                                          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate