Skip to content

Ohio State QB's suck Balls!

College Football Forum
36 8 1.9k
  • I am a Browns fan. But I am a Michigan fan and alum. I love my school and its players. Their college days do not disappear when they are drafted to me. That is another element to the fan experience.

    The Browns losing to the Jags ssuuuucckkkedd. But it was great to see Denard go off.

    The love/hate thing with the Browns is great. I grew up in the Cleveland area, I support my team... but I prefer college football over the NFL.

  • I am a Browns fan. But I am a Michigan fan and alum. I love my school and its players. Their college days do not disappear when they are drafted to me. That is another element to the fan experience.

    The Browns losing to the Jags ssuuuucckkkedd. But it was great to see Denard go off.

    The love/hate thing with the Browns is great. I grew up in the Cleveland area, I support my team... but I prefer college football over the NFL.

    @mld-woody said:

    but I prefer college football over the NFL.

    I'm starting to go that route.

    The NFL has been bought and sold to advertisers, networks, commercials, and selling products.

    College Football is probably the last real thing we have to pure football.

  • Ya, it depends on how you look at it though. I think the game is being corrupted (namely the SEC) and the idea of winning "the right way" has disappeared. I don't want a minor league, I want college sports with student athletes.

  • The NFL is far superior talent wise, but College football is more enjoyable to watch. IMO

    unless you root for that school up north 😛

  • @the-gipper said:

    They are not trained in the NFL fashion.

    All of them?

    Idk where the OP came from, and the wording is a little harsh, but OSU QBs haven't exactly been the most successful in the NFL.

    @mld-woody said:

    All of them?

    Idk where the OP came from, and the wording is a little harsh, but OSU QBs haven't exactly been the most successful in the NFL.

    Yes, I did say all of them. Can you name one or more OSU Qb's that played in the NFL and had a successful career and didn't suck balls?

  • That "all of them" response was to Gipper and him saying they weren't trained for the NFL

  • @the-gipper said:

    They are not trained in the NFL fashion.

    All of them?

    Idk where the OP came from, and the wording is a little harsh, but OSU QBs haven't exactly been the most successful in the NFL.

    @mld-woody said:

    All of them?

    Idk where the OP came from, and the wording is a little harsh, but OSU QBs haven't exactly been the most successful in the NFL.

    More better QBs have come out of Purdue than just about any school. Yes, with all that Purdue has still always been a weak sister. OSU has produced as many good RBs, WRs, OL, DL, LBs, DBs as about any school...but yea, not really good pro QBs. About the best was Mike Tomscak.

    (but think about it.....besides the obvious....and one of the best of all time....Mr. Brady...who wasn't really all that in college....Michigan has not produced much beyond average QBs either. Grbac/Brian Griese....who else? Not much to write home about.)

    I mean, you could say that NO school has produced one guy as good as Brady.....maybe Tenn. with Peyton, ND with Joe Cool, Northwestern with Otto, Louisville with JU.

    Yea, it seems that Stanford and Purdue are the QB schools.

  • Uhh... I would say you could go a ways down Michigans QB list before you hit OSU level. Hell, what recent OSU QB has had the success of Henne?

    Idc about the schools success in college, or with other positions. We're just talking QB. You also made the assertion it was because they weren't trained for the NFL. I think that's BS honestly. Plenty of not pro style college offenses have produced NFL QBs. Also, you have always been a spread

  • When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

  • Brady and Brees go above and beyond "legitimate starters"

  • When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    @larryfine said:

    When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    How much cum guzzles out of your moms asshole on a weekly basis?

  • Uhh... I would say you could go a ways down Michigans QB list before you hit OSU level. Hell, what recent OSU QB has had the success of Henne?

    Idc about the schools success in college, or with other positions. We're just talking QB. You also made the assertion it was because they weren't trained for the NFL. I think that's BS honestly. Plenty of not pro style college offenses have produced NFL QBs. Also, you have always been a spread

    @mld-woody said:

    Uhh... I would say you could go a ways down Michigans QB list before you hit OSU level. Hell, what recent OSU QB has had the success of Henne?

    Idc about the schools success in college, or with other positions. We're just talking QB. You also made the assertion it was because they weren't trained for the NFL. I think that's BS honestly. Plenty of not pro style college offenses have produced NFL QBs. Also, you have always been a spread

    Here is the list of QBs that both OSU and Michigan have sent to the Pros. Here I am listing anyone that posted even as low as a 1 on the PFR Career Production Average stat:

    Michigan

    Tom Brady 145

    Brian Griese 53

    Elvis Grbac 46

    Chad Henne 26

    Todd Collins 11

    Larry Cipa 1

    Ohio St.

    Tom Matte 67 (While listed as a QB/RB....nearly all his production came as an RB)

    Mike Tomscak 43

    Tom Tupa 29 (his production was split between QB and Punter)

    Kent Graham 20

    Terrelle Pryor 7

    Troy Smith 6

    Art Schlichter 4

    Bobby Hoying 3

    Joe Germaine 1

  • You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

  • When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    @larryfine said:

    When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    The Big Ten has done as well or better than any other conference historically at producing QBs. Just not OSU. Here are the Hall of Famers ....and almost certain HOFers produced by the current lineup of Power 5 conferences:

    Big Ten

    Len Dawson Purdue

    Bob Griese Purdue

    Drew Brees Purdue

    Otto Graham Northwestern

    Tom Brady Michigan

    SEC

    George Blanda Kentucky

    Joe Namath Alabama

    Bart Starr Alabama

    Fran Tarkenton Georgia

    YA Tittle LSU

    Peyton Manning Tennessee

    Pac-12

    Troy Aikman UCLA

    Bob Waterfield UCLA

    John Elway Stanford

    Dan Fouts Oregon

    Norm Van Brocklin Oregon

    Warren Moon Washington

    ACC:

    Sonny Jurgenson Duke

    Jim Kelly Miami

    Dan Marino Pitt

    Johnny Unitas Louisville

    ....big maybe: Rivers NC St.?

    Big 12

    Bobby Layne Texas

    Independents and smaller schools:

    Joe Montana Notre Dame

    Terry Bradshaw La. Tech

    Roger Staubach Navy

    Steve Young BYU

    Ben Roethlisberger Miami Oh.

    Brett Favre So. Miss.

  • You forgot Brian Hoyer Mich St

  • You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Right. I missed him...not sure how.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    He doesn't play QB in the NFL, does he?

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    Grbac and Griese had careers about the same as Tomscak.....but definitely Harbaugh and Brady have been better.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    OSU HAS run the spread or something like it a lot longer than you thought (option QBs). Going back to Rex Kern and Cornelius Greene, Rod Gerald. Even Herbstreit was primarily an option QB, Stanley Jackson. Even Craig Krenzel....if you recall the championship game he won, he did a lot of it with his legs. And lately, Smith, Pryor, Miller, Barrett.....all as much run oriented as pass oriented.

  • You forgot Brian Hoyer Mich St

    @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Brian Hoyer Mich St

    You expect to make the HOF, eh? Cute.

  • Ohio State has had its attempts at having 'pro style" QBs start for them......Schlichter, Greg Frey, Jim Karsatos, Tupa, Kent Graham, Hoying, Tomscak.

    The fact is, that sort of QB has not had as much success for them as the more running QBs. And those guys did not translate into successful pros....with the limited exception of Tomscak.

    In the early 70s Michigan had their better success with "option" type QBs with Dennis Franklin and Rick Leach. But then they went to the "pro style" guys for a long long time with the likes of Steve Smith, John Wangler, Harbaugh, Michael Taylor, Harbaugh, Collins, Griese, Brady, Henson, Navarre, and Henne. Recently with Robinson and Gardner they have gone back to a more running/option/spread type of game.

  • I would think there's a difference between a run first spread option QB and a QB that can also hurt you with his legs. I'm guessing NFL types know this.

    Also, I mentioned Denard as a "what if" because of the first guy you listed that was mostly a HB

  • I would think there's a difference between a run first spread option QB and a QB that can also hurt you with his legs. I'm guessing NFL types know this.

    Also, I mentioned Denard as a "what if" because of the first guy you listed that was mostly a HB

    @mld-woody said:

    I would think there's a difference between a run first spread option QB and a QB that can also hurt you with his legs. I'm guessing NFL types know this.

    Also, I mentioned Denard as a "what if" because of the first guy you listed that was mostly a HB

    While Matte was primarily a HB, he did occasionally start at QB. ( I doubt that Robinson will ever start an NFL game at QB) In fact, Matte famously started at QB in a post season game for the Colts. Johnny Unitas was hurt, backup Gary Cuozzo was hurt, so Matte had to start at QB for the Colts vs. the Packers. Here is the famous wristband that he wore that day which can be seen in the PFHOF:

    artifact-wristband-story.jpg