Skip to content

Ohio State QB's suck Balls!

College Football Forum
36 8 1.9k
  • When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    @larryfine said:

    When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    The Big Ten has done as well or better than any other conference historically at producing QBs. Just not OSU. Here are the Hall of Famers ....and almost certain HOFers produced by the current lineup of Power 5 conferences:

    Big Ten

    Len Dawson Purdue

    Bob Griese Purdue

    Drew Brees Purdue

    Otto Graham Northwestern

    Tom Brady Michigan

    SEC

    George Blanda Kentucky

    Joe Namath Alabama

    Bart Starr Alabama

    Fran Tarkenton Georgia

    YA Tittle LSU

    Peyton Manning Tennessee

    Pac-12

    Troy Aikman UCLA

    Bob Waterfield UCLA

    John Elway Stanford

    Dan Fouts Oregon

    Norm Van Brocklin Oregon

    Warren Moon Washington

    ACC:

    Sonny Jurgenson Duke

    Jim Kelly Miami

    Dan Marino Pitt

    Johnny Unitas Louisville

    ....big maybe: Rivers NC St.?

    Big 12

    Bobby Layne Texas

    Independents and smaller schools:

    Joe Montana Notre Dame

    Terry Bradshaw La. Tech

    Roger Staubach Navy

    Steve Young BYU

    Ben Roethlisberger Miami Oh.

    Brett Favre So. Miss.

  • You forgot Brian Hoyer Mich St

  • You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Right. I missed him...not sure how.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    He doesn't play QB in the NFL, does he?

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    Grbac and Griese had careers about the same as Tomscak.....but definitely Harbaugh and Brady have been better.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    OSU HAS run the spread or something like it a lot longer than you thought (option QBs). Going back to Rex Kern and Cornelius Greene, Rod Gerald. Even Herbstreit was primarily an option QB, Stanley Jackson. Even Craig Krenzel....if you recall the championship game he won, he did a lot of it with his legs. And lately, Smith, Pryor, Miller, Barrett.....all as much run oriented as pass oriented.

  • You forgot Brian Hoyer Mich St

    @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Brian Hoyer Mich St

    You expect to make the HOF, eh? Cute.

  • Ohio State has had its attempts at having 'pro style" QBs start for them......Schlichter, Greg Frey, Jim Karsatos, Tupa, Kent Graham, Hoying, Tomscak.

    The fact is, that sort of QB has not had as much success for them as the more running QBs. And those guys did not translate into successful pros....with the limited exception of Tomscak.

    In the early 70s Michigan had their better success with "option" type QBs with Dennis Franklin and Rick Leach. But then they went to the "pro style" guys for a long long time with the likes of Steve Smith, John Wangler, Harbaugh, Michael Taylor, Harbaugh, Collins, Griese, Brady, Henson, Navarre, and Henne. Recently with Robinson and Gardner they have gone back to a more running/option/spread type of game.

  • I would think there's a difference between a run first spread option QB and a QB that can also hurt you with his legs. I'm guessing NFL types know this.

    Also, I mentioned Denard as a "what if" because of the first guy you listed that was mostly a HB

  • I would think there's a difference between a run first spread option QB and a QB that can also hurt you with his legs. I'm guessing NFL types know this.

    Also, I mentioned Denard as a "what if" because of the first guy you listed that was mostly a HB

    @mld-woody said:

    I would think there's a difference between a run first spread option QB and a QB that can also hurt you with his legs. I'm guessing NFL types know this.

    Also, I mentioned Denard as a "what if" because of the first guy you listed that was mostly a HB

    While Matte was primarily a HB, he did occasionally start at QB. ( I doubt that Robinson will ever start an NFL game at QB) In fact, Matte famously started at QB in a post season game for the Colts. Johnny Unitas was hurt, backup Gary Cuozzo was hurt, so Matte had to start at QB for the Colts vs. the Packers. Here is the famous wristband that he wore that day which can be seen in the PFHOF:

    artifact-wristband-story.jpg

  • I remember watching a special about that on NFL Network. And I saw it in Canton.

    No, the Jags would have to have some crazy shit happen at QB for Denard to play. There was a much better chance of something like that happening decades ago.

  • Compare this list: Purdue

    Drew Brees 134

    Len Dawson 110

    Bob Griese 104

    Jim Everett 87

    Jeff George 65

    Gary Danielson 48

    Mike Phipps 40

    Kyle Orton 34

    Mark Hermann 11

    Scott Campbell 8

    Curtis Painter 2

    Mark Stevens 1

  • I know Purdue is better lol

  • You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    Denard Robinson will never play a snap as a qb in the nfl. For as much as you suck that guys balls he's terrible

  • @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    Denard Robinson will never play a snap as a qb in the nfl. For as much as you suck that guys balls he's terrible

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Denard Robinson will never play a snap as a qb in the nfl. For as much as you suck that guys balls he's terrible

    I would bet he will take a snap at QB, They will run some gadget trick WildDawg stuff with him. But they better not let him throw. As he's an awful thrower of the ball.

    It will take some serious injuries for him to start an NFL game. No matter what team he plays for

  • @mld-woody said:

    You forgot Jim harbaugh, 78.

    Also, maybe we'll get to add Denard to that list in a season or two...

    Anyway, (removing the guy that played HB), that would mean Michigans top 4 QBs are higher than OSUs highest.

    But, all of this aside, the point I was making was I felt your assertion that OSU doesn't have alot of hugh producing QBs on that list because they "are not trained in the NFL fashion" is not really legitimate. Unless OSU has been a run spread for a lot longer than I thought.... But even then, we get NFL QBs from those systems.

    Denard Robinson will never play a snap as a qb in the nfl. For as much as you suck that guys balls he's terrible

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Denard Robinson will never play a snap as a qb in the nfl. For as much as you suck that guys balls he's terrible

    ..... I never said he'd play as a QB. Look at Gippers OSU list.bit included a guy that was basically a HB. That's why I mentioned. Calm down

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Denard Robinson will never play a snap as a qb in the nfl. For as much as you suck that guys balls he's terrible

    I would bet he will take a snap at QB, They will run some gadget trick WildDawg stuff with him. But they better not let him throw. As he's an awful thrower of the ball.

    It will take some serious injuries for him to start an NFL game. No matter what team he plays for

    @browns149 said:

    I would bet he will take a snap at QB, They will run some gadget trick WildDawg stuff with him. But they better not let him throw. As he's an awful thrower of the ball.

    It will take some serious injuries for him to start an NFL game. No matter what team he plays for

    He has taken a few WildDawg snaps, but usually the Jags fuck it up and blocking immediately disappears. Those were all last year. I think he attempted one this year but had no time to throw. He's a HB now though. Their starter.

    He's not a terrible thrower, he had his moments in college. He us by no means an NFL QB though

    Yes, the Jags would have to have every active QB in one gm get hurt. Very unlikely (though I'd love to see it, even I it will 98% go poorly)

  • @larryfine said:

    When you think about maybe you could include the big ten in general as not having a lot of QB's that played good in the NFL. There is Brady and Brees of course. Bob Greise Sr. Going back 40 years it doesn't seem there have been alot. I'm not talking about backups coming in after the starter gets injured and plays a couple of games or finihing a season out, I'm talking legitimate Starters.

    The Big Ten has done as well or better than any other conference historically at producing QBs. Just not OSU. Here are the Hall of Famers ....and almost certain HOFers produced by the current lineup of Power 5 conferences:

    Big Ten

    Len Dawson Purdue

    Bob Griese Purdue

    Drew Brees Purdue

    Otto Graham Northwestern

    Tom Brady Michigan

    SEC

    George Blanda Kentucky

    Joe Namath Alabama

    Bart Starr Alabama

    Fran Tarkenton Georgia

    YA Tittle LSU

    Peyton Manning Tennessee

    Pac-12

    Troy Aikman UCLA

    Bob Waterfield UCLA

    John Elway Stanford

    Dan Fouts Oregon

    Norm Van Brocklin Oregon

    Warren Moon Washington

    ACC:

    Sonny Jurgenson Duke

    Jim Kelly Miami

    Dan Marino Pitt

    Johnny Unitas Louisville

    ....big maybe: Rivers NC St.?

    Big 12

    Bobby Layne Texas

    Independents and smaller schools:

    Joe Montana Notre Dame

    Terry Bradshaw La. Tech

    Roger Staubach Navy

    Steve Young BYU

    Ben Roethlisberger Miami Oh.

    Brett Favre So. Miss.

    @the-gipper said:

    The Big Ten has done as well or better than any other conference historically at producing QBs. Just not OSU. Here are the Hall of Famers ....and almost certain HOFers produced by the current lineup of Power 5 conferences:

    Big Ten

    Len Dawson Purdue

    Bob Griese Purdue

    Drew Brees Purdue

    Otto Graham Northwestern

    Tom Brady Michigan

    SEC

    George Blanda Kentucky

    Joe Namath Alabama

    Bart Starr Alabama

    Fran Tarkenton Georgia

    YA Tittle LSU

    Peyton Manning Tennessee

    Pac-12

    Troy Aikman UCLA

    Bob Waterfield UCLA

    John Elway Stanford

    Dan Fouts Oregon

    Norm Van Brocklin Oregon

    Warren Moon Washington

    ACC:

    Sonny Jurgenson Duke

    Jim Kelly Miami

    Dan Marino Pitt

    Johnny Unitas Louisville

    ....big maybe: Rivers NC St.?

    Big 12

    Bobby Layne Texas

    Independents and smaller schools:

    Joe Montana Notre Dame

    Terry Bradshaw La. Tech

    Roger Staubach Navy

    Steve Young BYU

    Ben Roethlisberger Miami Oh.

    Brett Favre So. Mis s.

    Nice post there Gipper. Going back 50 years there appears not to be a lot of "great QB's". OHio State at least sent a lot to the pro's.

  • i guess the QB can suck balls when your team is great......dickhead.

  • i guess the QB can suck balls when your team is great......dickhead.

    @miktoxic said:

    i guess the QB can suck balls when your team is great......dickhead.

    Not in the NFL .........you illetrate Dickhead.

  • We got a Hobbs Fairy rumble!