Skip to content

He gave himself up? Defense disputes call.

The Browns Board
15 11 617
  • mohicanM mohican wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-notebook-defense-disputes-touchdown-robbing-ruling-on-billy-winn-s-interception-1.551907

    also in article - free agent Desir starts ahead of Justin Gilbert

    So The Browns used two first round picks on people who can't even practice at an NFL level?

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I think the Browns got robbed of a touchdown. No whistle, he hadn't been touched by any Panther players and he handed the ball off. I think that might be the first time I ever heard of a player giving himself up.

  • darkside5D darkside5 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Yea that was a horseshit call. He didn't slide he dove, secured the ball and rolled over and wasn't touched down by a defensive player. The bullshit explanation "he didn't make an immediate move" Hell I'm 6'3" 350 lbs. and I can tell you from experience us big fuckers just rolling over is immediate enough !

    GO BROWNS !

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Desir played excellent starting him was the right call, Gilbert's fine. We have the deepest, youngest backfield in possibly forever. Enjoy it.

    As far as the call, absolutely terrible. Blow the whistle when you say he's down, whether that's because he "gave up" or got touched.

    The rule should be, when you get touched down you're down. Why have rules that are subject to such debate when it could just be so much simpler.

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #5

    If a new rule is going to be made, it's gonna be during a Browns game

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I was impressed with Desir's play given who he had to cover. Real future there for small college kid.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Desir looked unphased...

    As for the ruling... broadcast interpretation seemed to ultimately hang it's hat on the down player (Winn) handing the ball to the standing player (Poyer). I can't find that rule.

    As for giving up... Winn did go fetal for a beat (or two) before Poyer made his grab for the ball and that opened the door for the ruling. The end zone replay showed a few CAR players "stopping" at that point.

    I think it was the correct call, but the whistle was late.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #8
  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #9

    So we have:

    - Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

    - Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

    - Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

    - Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

    - Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

    In addition to:

    - Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

    - Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

    - Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

  • So we have:

    - Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

    - Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

    - Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

    - Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

    - Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

    In addition to:

    - Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

    - Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

    - Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @bbedward said:

    So we have:

    - Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

    - Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

    - Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

    - Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

    - Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

    In addition to:

    - Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

    - Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

    - Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

    Bingo.

    I think Pettine & Farmer have already finished step #1 in this defense...a shut down "man to man" defensive backfield

    Next...front 7....they'll get it done. And next year, with this Backfield gelling and all these young guys one year better....we WILL be shutting down passing games week after week....this year, they just adjusted and ran at us....next year, hopefully, they wont be able to

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I have never seen a player give up for no reason when he was on the ground in the middle of a game

    It usually happens when a player intercepts a pass and while running he falls to the ground and gives up to end the game. Or when the running back breaks through the line for a game ending first down and before he runs out of bounds he falls down to keep the clock moving.

    as for Skrine, he is NOT a pro bowl player. He has gotten better each year, that is for sure, but he still commits way to many penalties. 14 penalties this year, 9 accepted, 3 declined, and 1 offsetting.

  • Yea that was a horseshit call. He didn't slide he dove, secured the ball and rolled over and wasn't touched down by a defensive player. The bullshit explanation "he didn't make an immediate move" Hell I'm 6'3" 350 lbs. and I can tell you from experience us big fuckers just rolling over is immediate enough !

    GO BROWNS !

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @darkside5 said:

    Hell I'm 6'3" 350 lbs. !

    Think it might be a good idea to cut down on some calories bro

  • So we have:

    - Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

    - Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

    - Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

    - Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

    - Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

    In addition to:

    - Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

    - Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

    - Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bbedward said:

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    The phrase "an embarrassment of riches" comes to mind.

    But I do not see us standing pat... in fact, I will be shocked if at least one of our DBs is not traded before Kick Off 2015... possibly as soon as the draft.

  • @darkside5 said:

    Hell I'm 6'3" 350 lbs. !

    Think it might be a good idea to cut down on some calories bro

    darkside5D darkside5 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @clevfan4life said:

    Think it might be a good idea to cut down on some calories bro

    BACON MMMMMMMMM

  • So we have:

    - Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

    - Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

    - Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

    - Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

    - Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

    In addition to:

    - Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

    - Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

    - Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #15

    @bbedward said:

    So we have:

    - Haden played like the best corner in the game until last weeks injury

    - Skrine who had a near pro bowl campaign and has consistently gotten better, barring some of the ticky penalty habits

    - Gilbert who has been showing flashes, but for some reason (lesser practice quality?) isn't getting much time on the field. I believe he'll be good still.

    - Williams UDFA who has come in and played like a stud

    - Desir 4th rounder who got his first legit NFL time yesterday and played like a stud

    In addition to:

    - Gipson who was destined for Hawaii

    - Whitner who has been solid, albeit I still think Ward's better. Possibly pro bowl level.

    - Leonard the vet who replaced Gipson and didn't miss a beat.

    It's been a long time we've been clamoring about how badly we need a secondary. Well don't look now but we have a young, talented backfield that could potentially be the best in the NFL very soon...

    We have plenty of ammo to beef up the LOS on both sides of the ball. I don't know why people are so down on this team.

    Yep. Even with the injuries defense has usually turned in solid performances except against the run which is pretty hard on everything. Line of scrimmage is a definite need.

    As for that ridiculous gave himself up rule... Maybe he was just protesting Ferguson? Don't shoot Ref!

    WSS