Skip to content

Dick LeBeau resigns

The Browns Board
136 27 4.7k
  • George C said:

    He's on his way to join Bruce Ariens staff when they lose their DC.

    Interesting thought...

  • Strange turn of events, wouldn't think at 77 Dick goes anywhere else.

  • Maybe. Sounds like something spurned fans (or jilted lovers) tell themselves so as to feel better about the loss.

    We shall see.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Maybe. Sounds like something spurned fans (or jilted lovers) tell themselves so as to feel better about the loss.

    We shall see.

    WSS

    It was time a dick to hang them up especially with how young the defense has become once the older guys decide to retire. All of which could happen this season. Butler has been the heir apparent for several years. If its not him I will be shocked.

  • Arizona for sure

  • Don't people go to Florida retire also.

  • Not all steeler fans but there are wrinkles of his defense that are tied to a different era of playing the game and his unwillingness to not press the defensive backs and give the cushion is really the only point of major contention with the fan base. I'm surprised he is resigning and not retiring.

    @vagitron said:

    Not all steeler fans but there are wrinkles of his defense that are tied to a different era of playing the game and his unwillingness to not press the defensive backs and give the cushion is really the only point of major contention with the fan base. I'm surprised he is resigning and not retiring.

    Plus the Steelers impeccable draft record has left him with garbage to work with. J. Jones looks like a bust. Troy and Ike are not the players they used to be.

  • The only person in the organization I had any respect for

    @comeonman said:

    The only person in the organization I had any respect for

    My God yes...and you should be thankful the browns don't have an organization like the Steelers.

  • stooler nation is continuing its downfall, once Ben is done so are they. Tomlin wore out Cowhers coat tails and now he's riding Big Ben's til the end.

    @topdawg31 said:

    stooler nation is continuing its downfall, once Ben is done so are they. Tomlin wore out Cowhers coat tails and now he's riding Big Ben's til the end.

    lol...I love the perpetual Steeler "downfall" talk. From 8-8 to 11-5 wouldn't classify as a downfall.

    brown fans have been hoping for a Steeler "downfall" longer then they have been hoping the browns get to 8-8.

  • Why would stooler fans call for his resignation.

    HOF guy, as usual an idiotic fan base.

    @bbedward said:

    Why would stooler fans call for his resignation.

    HOF guy, as usual an idiotic fan base.

    The Steelers statistically had their worst defense franchise performance since 1990. That will unfortunately not allow you to keep your job, especially when the offense is so strong.

    The defense went from being a rock to a liability.

    Love LeBeau but the change needed to be named.

  • This is great news for Browns fans (and Ravens and Bengals fans)

    @thenew23 said:

    This is great news for Browns fans (and Ravens and Bengals fans)

    If this happened before November I'd say it would be good for Browns fans...

    But given the mess Cleveland has readmitted itself to there will be a lot of work needed to be done in house before they can capitalize on yet another prophecy of the "Steelers downfall"

  • @vagitron said:

    Not all steeler fans but there are wrinkles of his defense that are tied to a different era of playing the game and his unwillingness to not press the defensive backs and give the cushion is really the only point of major contention with the fan base. I'm surprised he is resigning and not retiring.

    Plus the Steelers impeccable draft record has left him with garbage to work with. J. Jones looks like a bust. Troy and Ike are not the players they used to be.

    @stewie said:

    Plus the Steelers impeccable draft record has left him with garbage to work with. J. Jones looks like a bust. Troy and Ike are not the players they used to be.

    Jarvis Jones started as a rookie in an complex defense and then broke his wrist this season. How exactly does that make him a bust? We have one first round miss over the last ten years and that's Ziggy hood and he still wasn't terrible. Mendenhall is a fringe because he did have a couple solid seasons. Roddy white must have been a bust because he didn't do anything until his 3rd year. Vontae Davis must have been a bust because he wasn't terrific in Miami. Aquib talib must have been a bust because he didn't turn it on until he was in new england. Keenan lewis must be a bust because it took him until his contract year to have a good season. Jamie Collins got traded to the patriots for a song. I could probably go for another ten minutes. Jarvis Jones hasn't had the opportunity to play a full season while understanding the nuances of professional football. Get real.

  • So... LeBeau's leaving is a good thing?

  • Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    @vagitron said:

    Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...

  • So... LeBeau's leaving is a good thing?

    @tour2ma said:

    So... LeBeau's leaving is a good thing?

    Painfully, I would say so.

    It's a lot like Terry Francona leaving the Boston Red Sox a few seasons ago. Nobody wanted to be the guy to tell the manager who brought titles to a team that hadn't won in 86 years that he needed to go but it was a mutual decision.

    Same deal in Pittsburgh (or so they say) with the whole "mutual" part.

  • @vagitron said:

    Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...

    @nickers said:

    Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...

    You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.

  • Who cares?

  • Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    @vagitron said:

    Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.

  • @bbedward said:

    Why would stooler fans call for his resignation.

    HOF guy, as usual an idiotic fan base.

    The Steelers statistically had their worst defense franchise performance since 1990. That will unfortunately not allow you to keep your job, especially when the offense is so strong.

    The defense went from being a rock to a liability.

    Love LeBeau but the change needed to be named.

    @go-losers said:

    The Steelers statistically had their worst defense franchise performance since 1990. That will unfortunately not allow you to keep your job, especially when the offense is so strong.

    The defense went from being a rock to a liability.

    Love LeBeau but the change needed to be named.

    I agree.....get rid of all the dead weight you had there: LeBeau, Polamalu, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, Will Allen. Remove the entire over the Hill Gang.

  • @nickers said:

    Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...

    You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.

    @vagitron said:

    You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade.

    Because of LeBeau's guidance.

    I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young...and mediocre and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler. If not, I hear PeeWee Herman is available.

  • @vagitron said:

    Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.

    @the-gipper said:

    Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.

    I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.