Dick LeBeau resigns
-
This is great news for Browns fans (and Ravens and Bengals fans)
If this happened before November I'd say it would be good for Browns fans...
But given the mess Cleveland has readmitted itself to there will be a lot of work needed to be done in house before they can capitalize on yet another prophecy of the "Steelers downfall"
-
Not all steeler fans but there are wrinkles of his defense that are tied to a different era of playing the game and his unwillingness to not press the defensive backs and give the cushion is really the only point of major contention with the fan base. I'm surprised he is resigning and not retiring.
Plus the Steelers impeccable draft record has left him with garbage to work with. J. Jones looks like a bust. Troy and Ike are not the players they used to be.
Plus the Steelers impeccable draft record has left him with garbage to work with. J. Jones looks like a bust. Troy and Ike are not the players they used to be.
Jarvis Jones started as a rookie in an complex defense and then broke his wrist this season. How exactly does that make him a bust? We have one first round miss over the last ten years and that's Ziggy hood and he still wasn't terrible. Mendenhall is a fringe because he did have a couple solid seasons. Roddy white must have been a bust because he didn't do anything until his 3rd year. Vontae Davis must have been a bust because he wasn't terrific in Miami. Aquib talib must have been a bust because he didn't turn it on until he was in new england. Keenan lewis must be a bust because it took him until his contract year to have a good season. Jamie Collins got traded to the patriots for a song. I could probably go for another ten minutes. Jarvis Jones hasn't had the opportunity to play a full season while understanding the nuances of professional football. Get real.
-
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...
-
So... LeBeau's leaving is a good thing?
Painfully, I would say so.
It's a lot like Terry Francona leaving the Boston Red Sox a few seasons ago. Nobody wanted to be the guy to tell the manager who brought titles to a team that hadn't won in 86 years that he needed to go but it was a mutual decision.
Same deal in Pittsburgh (or so they say) with the whole "mutual" part.
-
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...
Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...
You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.
-
Who cares?
-
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.
-
Why would stooler fans call for his resignation.
HOF guy, as usual an idiotic fan base.
The Steelers statistically had their worst defense franchise performance since 1990. That will unfortunately not allow you to keep your job, especially when the offense is so strong.
The defense went from being a rock to a liability.
Love LeBeau but the change needed to be named.
The Steelers statistically had their worst defense franchise performance since 1990. That will unfortunately not allow you to keep your job, especially when the offense is so strong.
The defense went from being a rock to a liability.
Love LeBeau but the change needed to be named.
I agree.....get rid of all the dead weight you had there: LeBeau, Polamalu, Harrison, Taylor, Keisel, Will Allen. Remove the entire over the Hill Gang.
-
Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...
You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.
You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade.
Because of LeBeau's guidance.
I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young...and mediocre and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler. If not, I hear PeeWee Herman is available.
-
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.
Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.
I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.
-
Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.
Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.
Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.
I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.
-
Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.
I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.
I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.
I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".
And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).
-
Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...
You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.
You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.
Except what he said isn't stupid at all. Just because one is successful at a lower level of something doesn't mean they'll translate to success in a higher position. If that was the case Manziel would be wrecking the NFL and every DC and OC that get head coaching gigs would win Super Bowls. Past performance is a good indicator of future success but it isn't automatic. A five year old can understand that.
-
I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.
I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".
And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).
I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".
And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).
I never at any point said he was going to be a hall of famer, all of that is very much to be determined. What I did say is he's had plenty of success elsewhere, he knows our system and will be able to add his own wrinkles. My point is people celebrating the lebeau departure like it's somehow a benefit to the rest of the division is naive. Our defense wasn't very good this season until Tomlin a former defensive coordinator himself started providing in game input for the first time in his coaching tenure with the Steelers. Tomlin and Butler both have a shared coaching history as well. It was time for Lebeau to pass the torch. I also think it's hilarious that you continually imply a lack of talent on the Steelers roster. You don't finish 11-5 without talent and the Browns are more than a capable QB away from sustained relevance. How many first round misses can a team have in 10 years?
-
@junkyard-dawg said:
Dude was fucking garbage in the NFL 'till he became DC of a squad jacked up on HGH and Steroids, fuck his old overrated Rich4Eagle looking punkass.
lol, he coached one of the few pro bowl linebackers the browns have ever had in the modern era and was the ONLY coach retained when Butch Davis was fired. I'm pretty sure he did just fine with your shit stains.
-
Let's go get him. Why not?
-
I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".
And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).
I never at any point said he was going to be a hall of famer, all of that is very much to be determined. What I did say is he's had plenty of success elsewhere, he knows our system and will be able to add his own wrinkles. My point is people celebrating the lebeau departure like it's somehow a benefit to the rest of the division is naive. Our defense wasn't very good this season until Tomlin a former defensive coordinator himself started providing in game input for the first time in his coaching tenure with the Steelers. Tomlin and Butler both have a shared coaching history as well. It was time for Lebeau to pass the torch. I also think it's hilarious that you continually imply a lack of talent on the Steelers roster. You don't finish 11-5 without talent and the Browns are more than a capable QB away from sustained relevance. How many first round misses can a team have in 10 years?
I never at any point said he was going to be a hall of famer, all of that is very much to be determined. What I did say is he's had plenty of success elsewhere, he knows our system and will be able to add his own wrinkles. My point is people celebrating the lebeau departure like it's somehow a benefit to the rest of the division is naive.
No it isn't. Dick LeBeau is generally regarded as THE greatest defensive coordinator in history.
Unless you think that Butler is what Steve Young was to Joe Montana, you defense just got worse.
Our defense wasn't very good this season until Tomlin a former defensive coordinator himself started providing in game input for the first time in his coaching tenure with the Steelers. Tomlin and Butler both have a shared coaching history as well.
OK, so now you have both Mark Malone and Bubby Brister putting their heads together to replace Terry Bradshaw.
It was time for Lebeau to pass the torch.
OK, probably...since he is like 77-78
I also think it's hilarious that you continually imply a lack of talent on the Steelers roster. You don't finish 11-5 without talent and the Browns are more than a capable QB away from sustained relevance.
Yes you do when you have a great QB. Of the 22 starting positions on the Browns vs. Steelers roster I would unlikely trade you straight up more than 5-7 players straight up.
In fact....I will do you this: I will trade you ONE player.....your QB for ours straight up....and see how we do.
Yes, your RB is better now than what we have....and you have an LB or two....but I will let you keep them all......just give me your QB for mine.
You wanna make that deal?
How many first round misses can a team have in 10 years?
I don't know....Yet eve with our first round misses, the Browns are better at about 75% of the positions on the field. You are what...imagine what could have been if we didn't have those busts: Of the 13 1st round picks, only 4 have proven to be quality:
Winslow
Edwards
Wimbley
Quinn
Thomas
Mack
Haden
Taylor
Weeden
Richardson
Mingo
Manziel
Gilbert
Only those highlighted in red are proven quality. And absolutely....a Quinn and a Weeden combined can't make a BR. Those are the worst of all....and the major difference between the teams.
-
@junkyard-dawg said:
Dude was fucking garbage in the NFL 'till he became DC of a squad jacked up on HGH and Steroids, fuck his old overrated Rich4Eagle looking punkass.
lol, he coached one of the few pro bowl linebackers the browns have ever had in the modern era and was the ONLY coach retained when Butch Davis was fired. I'm pretty sure he did just fine with your shit stains.
Ya I'm think he was talking about LeBeau, not Butler, Sparky.
Butler did indeed coach the Browns linebackers under both Palmer and Davis, got let go when Davis fired Foge Fazio and staff as the scapegoat for the Browns playoff loss to the Steelers, even though it was Davis that had our corners not press the entire second half.
and Jamir Miller did make a Pro Bowl while Butler was his position coach. So there's that. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. He also coached Wali Ranier.
Zombo
-
Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.Let's go get him. Why not?
Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login