Skip to content

Dick LeBeau resigns

The Browns Board
136 27 4.7k
  • @vagitron said:

    Lebeau is knocking on the door of 80. I think with the coaching vacancies Keith butler may have been getting phone calls. He's turned doen interviews in the past so it was shit or get off the pot time. As far as this benefitting the browns. I don't think any of you could be more wrong. Keith butler is legit and has an extensive pedigree. He also calls a very aggressive defense. The reality is its time someone else puts a mark on the Pittsburgh defense. I don't know anyone that is celebrating lebeau's departure but the base also knows its pretty much time.

    Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.

    @the-gipper said:

    Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.

    I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Keith Butler is to Dick LeBeau what Mark Malone was the Terry Bradshaw.

    I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.

    @vagitron said:

    I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.

    I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".

    And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).

  • @nickers said:

    Keith Butler is NOT legit until he actually "does something"...

    You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.

    @vagitron said:

    You aren't smart. He has an extensive coaching history and last I checked the steelers linebackers have been one of the best groups in the league for over a decade. I'm actually of the camp that thinks lebeau going is a good thing at this stage. The defense is young and lebeau even if he stuck it out wouldn't be the DC for another five. I think at most he was thinking one more season. Best to move forward now and not risk losing butler if the job does in fact go to butler.

    Except what he said isn't stupid at all. Just because one is successful at a lower level of something doesn't mean they'll translate to success in a higher position. If that was the case Manziel would be wrecking the NFL and every DC and OC that get head coaching gigs would win Super Bowls. Past performance is a good indicator of future success but it isn't automatic. A five year old can understand that.

  • @vagitron said:

    I'm not the only one that thinks he's capable. He's turned down several interviews over the last several years for DC positions with other teams. Your references and comparisons are as comical as the steelers finishing last in the divison this season.

    I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".

    And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".

    And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).

    I never at any point said he was going to be a hall of famer, all of that is very much to be determined. What I did say is he's had plenty of success elsewhere, he knows our system and will be able to add his own wrinkles. My point is people celebrating the lebeau departure like it's somehow a benefit to the rest of the division is naive. Our defense wasn't very good this season until Tomlin a former defensive coordinator himself started providing in game input for the first time in his coaching tenure with the Steelers. Tomlin and Butler both have a shared coaching history as well. It was time for Lebeau to pass the torch. I also think it's hilarious that you continually imply a lack of talent on the Steelers roster. You don't finish 11-5 without talent and the Browns are more than a capable QB away from sustained relevance. How many first round misses can a team have in 10 years?

  • @junkyard-dawg said:

    Dude was fucking garbage in the NFL 'till he became DC of a squad jacked up on HGH and Steroids, fuck his old overrated Rich4Eagle looking punkass.

    lol, he coached one of the few pro bowl linebackers the browns have ever had in the modern era and was the ONLY coach retained when Butch Davis was fired. I'm pretty sure he did just fine with your shit stains.

  • Let's go get him. Why not?

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am not saying Butler isn't capable. But he is by no means a proven Hall of Fame coaching talent the way LeBeau is. Mark Malone was "capable".

    And, yes, give the talent level, the Steelers could be fully capable of finishing last in the division. (but probably will not do so as long as the Browns have no QB).

    I never at any point said he was going to be a hall of famer, all of that is very much to be determined. What I did say is he's had plenty of success elsewhere, he knows our system and will be able to add his own wrinkles. My point is people celebrating the lebeau departure like it's somehow a benefit to the rest of the division is naive. Our defense wasn't very good this season until Tomlin a former defensive coordinator himself started providing in game input for the first time in his coaching tenure with the Steelers. Tomlin and Butler both have a shared coaching history as well. It was time for Lebeau to pass the torch. I also think it's hilarious that you continually imply a lack of talent on the Steelers roster. You don't finish 11-5 without talent and the Browns are more than a capable QB away from sustained relevance. How many first round misses can a team have in 10 years?

    @vagitron said:

    I never at any point said he was going to be a hall of famer, all of that is very much to be determined. What I did say is he's had plenty of success elsewhere, he knows our system and will be able to add his own wrinkles. My point is people celebrating the lebeau departure like it's somehow a benefit to the rest of the division is naive.

    No it isn't. Dick LeBeau is generally regarded as THE greatest defensive coordinator in history.

    Unless you think that Butler is what Steve Young was to Joe Montana, you defense just got worse.

    Our defense wasn't very good this season until Tomlin a former defensive coordinator himself started providing in game input for the first time in his coaching tenure with the Steelers. Tomlin and Butler both have a shared coaching history as well.

    OK, so now you have both Mark Malone and Bubby Brister putting their heads together to replace Terry Bradshaw.

    It was time for Lebeau to pass the torch.

    OK, probably...since he is like 77-78

    I also think it's hilarious that you continually imply a lack of talent on the Steelers roster. You don't finish 11-5 without talent and the Browns are more than a capable QB away from sustained relevance.

    Yes you do when you have a great QB. Of the 22 starting positions on the Browns vs. Steelers roster I would unlikely trade you straight up more than 5-7 players straight up.

    In fact....I will do you this: I will trade you ONE player.....your QB for ours straight up....and see how we do.

    Yes, your RB is better now than what we have....and you have an LB or two....but I will let you keep them all......just give me your QB for mine.

    You wanna make that deal?

    How many first round misses can a team have in 10 years?

    I don't know....Yet eve with our first round misses, the Browns are better at about 75% of the positions on the field. You are what...imagine what could have been if we didn't have those busts: Of the 13 1st round picks, only 4 have proven to be quality:

    Winslow

    Edwards

    Wimbley

    Quinn

    Thomas

    Mack

    Haden

    Taylor

    Weeden

    Richardson

    Mingo

    Manziel

    Gilbert

    Only those highlighted in red are proven quality. And absolutely....a Quinn and a Weeden combined can't make a BR. Those are the worst of all....and the major difference between the teams.

    @junkyard-dawg said:

    Dude was fucking garbage in the NFL 'till he became DC of a squad jacked up on HGH and Steroids, fuck his old overrated Rich4Eagle looking punkass.

    lol, he coached one of the few pro bowl linebackers the browns have ever had in the modern era and was the ONLY coach retained when Butch Davis was fired. I'm pretty sure he did just fine with your shit stains.

    Ya I'm think he was talking about LeBeau, not Butler, Sparky.

    Butler did indeed coach the Browns linebackers under both Palmer and Davis, got let go when Davis fired Foge Fazio and staff as the scapegoat for the Browns playoff loss to the Steelers, even though it was Davis that had our corners not press the entire second half.

    and Jamir Miller did make a Pro Bowl while Butler was his position coach. So there's that. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. He also coached Wali Ranier.

    Zombo

  • Let's go get him. Why not?

    @brownbob said:

    Let's go get him. Why not?

    Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.

    Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.

  • @brownbob said:

    Let's go get him. Why not?

    Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.

    Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.

    Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.

    I believe Harrison stays. He's still posting shots on twitter of him working out in the facility. I believe Troy and Ike could both be done and I'm guessing keisel is also done.

  • @brownbob said:

    Let's go get him. Why not?

    Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.

    Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.

    Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.

    I agree, they played better when those guys were out.

    With LeBeau going, yes, it probably is time to transition that defense. Out with the old (Pola. Harrison, Keisel, Taylor, Allen..1-2 more....in with the new....)

  • @buck-the-frowns said:

    Because he will probably end up where all old Steelers end up, Arizona. He stayed around so long that his heir apparent would soon have been too old to get a DC job elsewhere.

    Pgh will likely take this opportunity to ease out Polamalu and Taylor. Their defense actually played better when both were out, which is fairly damning. Harrison only unretired due to Jones being on IR with a wrist injury, but ended up playing on a pretty good level.They and Keisel likely will all be gone, and Pgh defense should improve.

    I believe Harrison stays. He's still posting shots on twitter of him working out in the facility. I believe Troy and Ike could both be done and I'm guessing keisel is also done.

    @vagitron said:

    I believe Harrison stays. He's still posting shots on twitter of him working out in the facility. I believe Troy and Ike could both be done and I'm guessing keisel is also done.

    Of the four, he would be the one you would want back based on his play. I think that they did not use their own apprenticeship system for several years for some reason and old age caught up all of a sudden at too many positions.

  • @vagitron said:

    I believe Harrison stays. He's still posting shots on twitter of him working out in the facility. I believe Troy and Ike could both be done and I'm guessing keisel is also done.

    Of the four, he would be the one you would want back based on his play. I think that they did not use their own apprenticeship system for several years for some reason and old age caught up all of a sudden at too many positions.

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Of the four, he would be the one you would want back based on his play. I think that they did not use their own apprenticeship system for several years for some reason and old age caught up all of a sudden at too many positions.

    Injuries have slowed the development of a few but the 2008 draft was particularly bad outside of Mendenhall and even he's gone. If you miss on a majority of a draft class it sends waves through the franchise. I think they've recovered now. I still have high hopes/expectations for Jarvis Jones and believe worilds could be had for a reasonable contract. I also agree I want Harrison back and if he doesn't come back I'd like to see moats stay.

  • @buck-the-frowns said:

    Of the four, he would be the one you would want back based on his play. I think that they did not use their own apprenticeship system for several years for some reason and old age caught up all of a sudden at too many positions.

    Injuries have slowed the development of a few but the 2008 draft was particularly bad outside of Mendenhall and even he's gone. If you miss on a majority of a draft class it sends waves through the franchise. I think they've recovered now. I still have high hopes/expectations for Jarvis Jones and believe worilds could be had for a reasonable contract. I also agree I want Harrison back and if he doesn't come back I'd like to see moats stay.

    @vagitron said:

    Injuries have slowed the development of a few but the 2008 draft was particularly bad outside of Mendenhall and even he's gone. If you miss on a majority of a draft class it sends waves through the franchise.

    No shit Sherlock, tell us about it. What if you miss on a majority of a draft class for like 5 years in a row?

    I think they've recovered now.

    I don't think they've recovered, I think the repercussions are just about to start.

    I still have high hopes/expectations for Jarvis Jones and believe worilds could be had for a reasonable contract. I also agree I want Harrison back and if he doesn't come back I'd like to see moats stay.

    Are all "your" linebackers FAs? You make it sound that way

  • @vagitron said:

    Injuries have slowed the development of a few but the 2008 draft was particularly bad outside of Mendenhall and even he's gone. If you miss on a majority of a draft class it sends waves through the franchise.

    No shit Sherlock, tell us about it. What if you miss on a majority of a draft class for like 5 years in a row?

    I think they've recovered now.

    I don't think they've recovered, I think the repercussions are just about to start.

    I still have high hopes/expectations for Jarvis Jones and believe worilds could be had for a reasonable contract. I also agree I want Harrison back and if he doesn't come back I'd like to see moats stay.

    Are all "your" linebackers FAs? You make it sound that way

    @the-gipper said:

    @vagitron said:

    Injuries have slowed the development of a few but the 2008 draft was particularly bad outside of Mendenhall and even he's gone. If you miss on a majority of a draft class it sends waves through the franchise.

    No shit Sherlock, tell us about it. What if you miss on a majority of a draft class for like 5 years in a row?

    I think they've recovered now.

    I don't think they've recovered, I think the repercussions are just about to start.

    I still have high hopes/expectations for Jarvis Jones and believe worilds could be had for a reasonable contract. I also agree I want Harrison back and if he doesn't come back I'd like to see moats stay.

    Are all "your" linebackers FAs? You make it sound that way

    Gipper I wasn't responding to you, so if you want to get all huffy puffy take it somewhere else. Worilds is a fa, Harrison is a fa and moats whom we signed as depth is fa. We have a surplus at middle linebacker. I would ask you to enlighten me on how the repercussions are just about to start but I don't think you are capable without going to google and attempting to drum something up. The "demise" of the steelers already happened and that was two straight 8-8 seasons. If Bell didn't go down we would still be in the playoffs.

  • These idiot Squeeler trolls think that they have some juggernaut of a team that is a DC short of a dynasty. Well, sorry faggots, but your team sucks. This year was an anomaly; The Squeeler decline will continue for the next decade. Even an engine running out of gas has a last surge of power, and the Squeelers managed to win 11 games somehow--while still losing to the Buccaneers (lol) and Jets (lol). Get one big hit on Big Gay Ben and he sucks the rest of the game; next year he will be even worse.

    Make LeBeau the scapegoat, but it's not going to fix the fact that the Squeelers suck.

  • These idiot Squeeler trolls think that they have some juggernaut of a team that is a DC short of a dynasty. Well, sorry faggots, but your team sucks. This year was an anomaly; The Squeeler decline will continue for the next decade. Even an engine running out of gas has a last surge of power, and the Squeelers managed to win 11 games somehow--while still losing to the Buccaneers (lol) and Jets (lol). Get one big hit on Big Gay Ben and he sucks the rest of the game; next year he will be even worse.

    Make LeBeau the scapegoat, but it's not going to fix the fact that the Squeelers suck.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    These idiot Squeeler trolls think that they have some juggernaut of a team that is a DC short of a dynasty. Well, sorry faggots, but your team sucks. This year was an anomaly; The Squeeler decline will continue for the next decade. Even an engine running out of gas has a last surge of power, and the Squeelers managed to win 11 games somehow--while still losing to the Buccaneers (lol) and Jets (lol). Get one big hit on Big Gay Ben and he sucks the rest of the game; next year he will be even worse.

    Make LeBeau the scapegoat, but it's not going to fix the fact that the Squeelers suck.

    Want to bet? Our offense carried our defense this season and the defense turned a corner back quarter of the season. Ben tied for total passing yards, threw over 30 touchdowns and Bell broke a few all purpose yards records. He also tied Walter Payton for three straight 200 total yard games. Oh and then there is Antonio Brown, Bryant and Wheaton. Yea they are reaaaaly on the decline. I remember posting here before super bowl xl when you all were claiming a demise. They won the super bowl that year and went to two more. Im pretty sure you don't have much of a clue when it comes to predicting anything Pittsburgh.

    And no one is making lebeau a scapegoat. Butler turned down interviews with the dolphins, cardinals and had a interview denied by the steelers when whisenhunt came knocking again. The steelers likely didn't want to extend butler again as the linebacker coach and because lebeau was likely only going to coach one more he resigned. If teams weren't concerned with him being 77 he'd be the defensive coordinator in Arizona but instead he's taking a senior consultant position.

  • With regard to lebeau, he ended up with a good bit of talent.

    that always helps ya be a great coach....

    meanwhile...

  • With regard to lebeau, he ended up with a good bit of talent.

    that always helps ya be a great coach....

    meanwhile...

    @calfoxwc said:

    With regard to lebeau, he ended up with a good bit of talent.

    that always helps ya be a great coach....

    meanwhile...

    We've been wiping our ass with the browns. Grabbed your token win this season.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    With regard to lebeau, he ended up with a good bit of talent.

    that always helps ya be a great coach....

    meanwhile...

    We've been wiping our ass with the browns. Grabbed your token win this season.

    @vagitron said:

    We've been wiping our ass with the browns. Grabbed your token win this season.

    We beat your asses rather convincingly the first time around.. you beat us the second time around after we were banged up with injuries in key positions.. I wouldn't gloat if I were you.. Moron!