2015 - FA / Draft / Notes
-
OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."
I wish I only had a bad knee...
OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."
And Ag's kiss-of-death is placed upon yet another A&M prospect...
-
Hmmm, novel idea :
Browns defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil: ‘We will stop the run next year’
On a blustery January day in Cleveland, just after the NFL season ended, Browns defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil and the entire defensive staff locked themselves in a meeting room on the second floor of the team facility.
For 13 hours.
Sandwiches were eaten on the go. A swift, 20-minute workout time was permitted. Every single defensive play from the 2014 season was dissected, both the fantastic and the ugly. Constructive criticism was hurled from all different angles.
The purpose of the meeting? How to fix Cleveland’s run defense, which ranked 32nd in the NFL last season.
“We’re going to stop the run. And I want to say that again – we will stop the run next year,” O’Neil said Thursday during an appearance on Cleveland Browns Daily.
There were several epiphanies from what is now being coined by some as the “defensive summit.”
And one of the bigger takeaways is that the defensive line has unfairly shouldered most of the blame for running backs being galloping through the Browns defense. It takes all 11 players to stop the run, a theme that got away from the Browns last season but will be stressed the minute the players walk through the doors April 20.
“It’s not an easy fix but it starts with me,” O’Neil said about making the proper adjustments.
O’Neil’s comment means a few things. One, several slight tweaks to the scheme have been discussed and will be taught in the classroom setting and during OTAs. It was less challenging for the coaches to break down the film now that it was all of the Browns instead of prior cut-ups of coach Mike Pettine’s system with the Bills and Jets.
And secondly, now that the coaching staff has a proper grasp on what exactly the personnel on defense can do, O’Neil can line certain players in different positions where he knows they can succeed.
And if not?
“Players get better naturally Year 2 in the system and if some guys don’t get it fixed, they are not going to be out there,” O’Neil said. “That’s what we’ve been doing most of the offseason – figuring out each player’s biggest strengths as opposed to installing an entirely new system. And I think guys will feel comfortable in Year 2 knowing when they can take more chances. We will go more graduate level with the material.”
Much has been made of Cleveland’s 2015 offseason, but O’Neil unveiled this anecdote few know: Several of the Browns’ defensive coaches had offers to move on to other teams, some with rather large promotions. But the entire staff is back for a second season. That, alone, spoke volumes to O’Neil, who said his group of coaches and players are unequivocally committed and truly believe they can turn the Browns into a regular playoff contender.
“We are going to build a dominating, intimidating group that the Dawg Pound can be proud of,” O’Neil said. “We are going to knock players down and we’re not going to help them up. We are going to build a bully on defense.”
There's also some audio on the link, though it's pretty low quality :
-
OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."
Oh, we're all getting in on the Cardale fun?
Jabrill Peppers in 2 years. Safety/Nickel

Oh, we're all getting in on the Cardale fun?
Jabrill Peppers in 2 years. Safety/Nickel

Peppers's got the size to be a boundary CB. I also thought he had pretty good speed but I haven't kept up with his progress since he signed with Michigan so I could be way off on that...
-
Oh, we're all getting in on the Cardale fun?
Jabrill Peppers in 2 years. Safety/Nickel

Peppers's got the size to be a boundary CB. I also thought he had pretty good speed but I haven't kept up with his progress since he signed with Michigan so I could be way off on that...
Peppers's got the size to be a boundary CB. I also thought he had pretty good speed but I haven't kept up with his progress since he signed with Michigan so I could be way off on that...
He hurt his ankle last year after only appearing in 3 games. He was granted a medical red shirt (FYI, some here don't quite understand what a MR is).
Over the offseason, he was moved to Safety. We're going to be playing a variation of the 46 with him as the 46. Basically, he'll do everything. Cover deep, player the run, man the slot, etc. This should allow us to use our best player as efficiently as possible.
Report from spring practice is that he is our best player. He has an NFL body, is a vocal leader on D, etc.
When he eventually declares (probably early), he'll go in the top half of the first rd
-
Peppers's got the size to be a boundary CB. I also thought he had pretty good speed but I haven't kept up with his progress since he signed with Michigan so I could be way off on that...
He hurt his ankle last year after only appearing in 3 games. He was granted a medical red shirt (FYI, some here don't quite understand what a MR is).
Over the offseason, he was moved to Safety. We're going to be playing a variation of the 46 with him as the 46. Basically, he'll do everything. Cover deep, player the run, man the slot, etc. This should allow us to use our best player as efficiently as possible.
Report from spring practice is that he is our best player. He has an NFL body, is a vocal leader on D, etc.
When he eventually declares (probably early), he'll go in the top half of the first rd
He hurt his ankle last year after only appearing in 3 games. He was granted a medical red shirt (FYI, some here don't quite understand what a MR is).
Over the offseason, he was moved to Safety. We're going to be playing a variation of the 46 with him as the 46. Basically, he'll do everything. Cover deep, player the run, man the slot, etc. This should allow us to use our best player as efficiently as possible.
Report from spring practice is that he is our best player. He has an NFL body, is a vocal leader on D, etc.
When he eventually declares (probably early), he'll go in the top half of the first rd
Doubt it.
-
He hurt his ankle last year after only appearing in 3 games. He was granted a medical red shirt (FYI, some here don't quite understand what a MR is).
Over the offseason, he was moved to Safety. We're going to be playing a variation of the 46 with him as the 46. Basically, he'll do everything. Cover deep, player the run, man the slot, etc. This should allow us to use our best player as efficiently as possible.
Report from spring practice is that he is our best player. He has an NFL body, is a vocal leader on D, etc.
When he eventually declares (probably early), he'll go in the top half of the first rd
Doubt it.
Well, anything can happen. But he has the build NFL teams want at a position in high demand. Combined that with coaching that has a ton of NFL experience, and I think it has a very good chance of happening.Doubt it.
I'll admit though, I'm just riding his hype train right now. He has a very good chance though
Also... Ya... Top half of the first is kind of an outrageous prediction for a sophomore that hasn't really played, no matter how hyped or highly rated he is, haha. I'll give you that.
-
Well, anything can happen. But he has the build NFL teams want at a position in high demand. Combined that with coaching that has a ton of NFL experience, and I think it has a very good chance of happening.Doubt it.
I'll admit though, I'm just riding his hype train right now. He has a very good chance though
Also... Ya... Top half of the first is kind of an outrageous prediction for a sophomore that hasn't really played, no matter how hyped or highly rated he is, haha. I'll give you that.
Well, anything can happen. But he has the build NFL teams want at a position in high demand. Combined that with coaching that has a ton of NFL experience, and I think it has a very good chance of happening.
I'll admit though, I'm just riding his hype train right now. He has a very good chance though
Also... Ya... Top half of the first is kind of an outrageous prediction for a sophomore that hasn't really played, no matter how hyped or highly rated he is, haha. I'll give you that.
I was basing it more off of the fact that those SS/LB tweeters seemingly always get hyped early and then plummet. Carolina had a few guys like that over the last years, called them "spur" backs. Always got a lot of hype, never ended up doing too much. Darian Stewart was one and he ended up going undrafted.
Not to say that will happen here, it's just those positions have a bad juujuu.
-
Well, anything can happen. But he has the build NFL teams want at a position in high demand. Combined that with coaching that has a ton of NFL experience, and I think it has a very good chance of happening.
I'll admit though, I'm just riding his hype train right now. He has a very good chance though
Also... Ya... Top half of the first is kind of an outrageous prediction for a sophomore that hasn't really played, no matter how hyped or highly rated he is, haha. I'll give you that.
I was basing it more off of the fact that those SS/LB tweeters seemingly always get hyped early and then plummet. Carolina had a few guys like that over the last years, called them "spur" backs. Always got a lot of hype, never ended up doing too much. Darian Stewart was one and he ended up going undrafted.
Not to say that will happen here, it's just those positions have a bad juujuu.
I was basing it more off of the fact that those SS/LB tweeters seemingly always get hyped early and then plummet. Carolina had a few guys like that over the last years, called them "spur" backs. Always got a lot of hype, never ended up doing too much. Darian Stewart was one and he ended up going undrafted.
Not to say that will happen here, it's just those positions have a bad juujuu.
No no no. If anything he's a "CB/S tweener". Really though he's just a DB. He was rated the #1 CB/ #1 ATH. We are good at CB though, and he can play this Safety/Nickel/46 position very well. He's not a LB/SS tweener. He has the build to be a prototypical NFL CB, and may even get drafted as a CB still, but we're running him in this hybrid position because it allows him to make the most plays and best utilize his skilset
We had one of those awhile ago in Stevie Brown. He was the starting FS on the Giants and was leading the LG in INTs one season until he messed his knee up. I'm not sure where he is now.
-
and safeties aren't really hot commodities in the first round(ever)......lots and lots of super talented undersized linebackers and slow CB's to fill that void.....
and safeties aren't really hot commodities in the first round(ever)......lots and lots of super talented undersized linebackers and slow CB's to fill that void.....
I'm not sure what you mean by "hot commodity". Will there be 8 of them drafted? No. But I think 4 were drafted in the first last year. If you look back through the last 10 years or so of draft picks, 1st rd safeties are normally pretty good.
-
Joe Thomas: Johnny Manziel lost trust of locker room last year
Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel might be nearing the end of his rehab, but he still has a way to go before he can legitimately walk back onto the field for his team.
Last year’s first-round pick still has a long climb back to football relevance, after making such a mess of his hand-delivered starting assignment last year. And it’s the way he handled that assignment that makes his teammates wonder.
“I think he’s going to have to prove to the team that football is important and being the man, being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, is important, it is his goal, his single goal in his life,” left tackle Thomas told Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com. “You know, I think he lost probably a lot of trust among the guys on the team last year by the way he handled himself once he became the starter. And I think he had a lot of time to reflect, I’m guessing, after the season was over by the comments he made in the media and by his actions, checking himself into rehab, . . . I think those were really positive steps.
“I’m hoping when we comes back in April we see a new Johnny and everybody’s blown away with his commitment. And I think he’s got the talent, so it’s just a matter of if he commits himself to it, we can have a really good quarterback on our hands.”
Of course, the Browns have covered themselves for the possibility that he won’t by signing Josh McCown, and the fact they’ve been linked with Sam Bradford and Marcus Mariota makes it clear they’re not finished at the position.
“Obviously there’s some uncertainty with Johnny right now and that’s why we brought in Josh,” Thomas said. “He’s a guy that if he’s asked to carry the flag this year, he’s going to do a great job. There’s a chance we draft somebody or there’s a chance Johnny comes back and he’s a new person and he’s rededicated to football, and he turns into the great quarterback that we expected when we drafted him in the first round.”
And doing that might prove to be a bigger hurdle than anything he’s doing off the field.
He has a bit more hope than I do, but then he's been in practice with the guy . . .
-
Joe Thomas: Johnny Manziel lost trust of locker room last year
Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel might be nearing the end of his rehab, but he still has a way to go before he can legitimately walk back onto the field for his team.
Last year’s first-round pick still has a long climb back to football relevance, after making such a mess of his hand-delivered starting assignment last year. And it’s the way he handled that assignment that makes his teammates wonder.
“I think he’s going to have to prove to the team that football is important and being the man, being the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, is important, it is his goal, his single goal in his life,” left tackle Thomas told Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com. “You know, I think he lost probably a lot of trust among the guys on the team last year by the way he handled himself once he became the starter. And I think he had a lot of time to reflect, I’m guessing, after the season was over by the comments he made in the media and by his actions, checking himself into rehab, . . . I think those were really positive steps.
“I’m hoping when we comes back in April we see a new Johnny and everybody’s blown away with his commitment. And I think he’s got the talent, so it’s just a matter of if he commits himself to it, we can have a really good quarterback on our hands.”
Of course, the Browns have covered themselves for the possibility that he won’t by signing Josh McCown, and the fact they’ve been linked with Sam Bradford and Marcus Mariota makes it clear they’re not finished at the position.
“Obviously there’s some uncertainty with Johnny right now and that’s why we brought in Josh,” Thomas said. “He’s a guy that if he’s asked to carry the flag this year, he’s going to do a great job. There’s a chance we draft somebody or there’s a chance Johnny comes back and he’s a new person and he’s rededicated to football, and he turns into the great quarterback that we expected when we drafted him in the first round.”
And doing that might prove to be a bigger hurdle than anything he’s doing off the field.
He has a bit more hope than I do, but then he's been in practice with the guy . . .
He has a bit more hope than I do, but then he's been in practice with the guy . . .
Yes, Joe does... if you're looking for a flag bearer.
“He’s a guy that if he’s asked to carry the flag this year, he’s going to do a great job... or there’s a chance Johnny comes back and he’s a new person and he’s rededicated to football, and he turns into the great quarterback that we expected when we drafted him in the first round.”
-
Hypothetical here with the news that the Titans are shopping #2
Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.
I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.
-
Hypothetical here with the news that the Titans are shopping #2
Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.
I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.
Hypothetical here with the news that the Titans are shopping #2
Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.
I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.
If they traded up to #2 it would be for a QB.
-
Hypothetical here with the news that the Titans are shopping #2
Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.
I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.
Hypothetical here with the news that the Titans are shopping #2
Would you like the Browns to trade up to #2 to draft......... Leonard Williams? Keep in mind this would probably cost two 1st Rounders and two 3rd Rounders.
I for one would love this move. I know Farmer gets a lot of shit from a decent percentage of the fan base, but I think he did a great job with the 2nd, 3rd, and UDFA period of last years draft. The eye for "diamond-in-the-rough" talent seems to be there. I just don't want anymore wasted top draft picks, and I think if a trade is there for the best player in the draft, you take it.
Short answer, no.
-
NO. That would be a ridiculously dumb move.
-
Hmmm.. Surprised by this
I guess I'm about as far away from the terrible NT/RT or NT/WR or OLB/WR 1st Round ideas floated around here.
I'd rather have an elite talent or Mariota then some of these other scenarios
Hmmm.. Surprised by this
I guess I'm about as far away from the terrible NT/RT or NT/WR or OLB/WR 1st Round ideas floated around here.
I'd rather have an elite talent or Mariota then some of these other scenarios
L. Williams is the best prospect in this draft period not Mariota. And they do need a QB. Hearing No on draft trades so what. Offer 12 OR 19, Manziel, Gordon or T. Benjamin(FA 16) or Schwartz (FA 2016). Yea I know, maybe my dumbest post ever. Or is it??
-
I agree he is on the 2015 elite short list (and it is a short list), but is Williams the best prospect in this draft for Pet's system?
As for terrible 12/19 combos... there have been a few, but packaging them up with both 3rds trumps is right up (down?) there with them.
-
Stand pat and take the 2 of the best 20 players available to be drafted. Would be nice to replace some of the playmakers we lost. Rubin, Sheard, Skrine and Cameron.
We really don't need another CB, which is why I'm not to upset with letting Skrine go, loved that guy but we are stacked at CB right now and I think Buster deserved a payday.
Sheard was a DE/OLB and we have a few of those on the roster. I would love to see Denzel Perryman though in Orange and Brown. The FO missed the boat when they could have taken Burfict but maybe Farmer is smarter than the last crew.
Replacing Rubin will be tough, through and through Cleveland Brown... for years and years, grinding away. I love Rubin, he's a warrior. But, if we can replace Rubin with Danny Shelton I'll consider it a good move, because as good as Rubin has played for us he's not the same caliber of player that Dan Shelton is. There is a reason Shelton is a Top 10 talent and Rubin went in the 6th round.
Losing Cameron was a HUGE BLOW to Cleveland. Not only losing him but the way in which it went about. I've been rooting for him since we first heard about him before the draft when he was taken in the fourth round. I don't think he has injury issues, just the luck of the draw. And any man that lays out for ball like Cam did for those broke ass passes that got him hurt deserves props... that said though, Cam can go fuck himself. Dude burned us for Miami, that's fine Cam, that's fine. Peace out, you made your bed bro. I say replace him with Maxx Williams. First round TE? Yeah, we don't see many of those, so why is this guy a first round talent? Well, he's big as hell, strong and smart. He'll be able to block in the run game(something Cam couldn't do), block in the pass when needed to(something Cam couldn't do) and he'll make the tough catches much like a Todd Heap for the Ravens. Heap was is the Career Receptions for TD leader and played 10 seasons and in two probowls. Williams' dad and his grandpa both played in the NFL, so the pedigree and the knowledge of what it takes is known to him. He could replace Cameron and we wouldn't miss a beat or even know that he was gone.
I'm asking that we take Shelton and Williams at 12 and 19 and that will be a monster first round. Studs on both side of the ball.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login