Skip to content

The G.O.A.T.

The Browns Board
95 22 3.2k
  • @larryfine said:

    Hi. Basically starting in the super bowl era players were beginning to be bigger, faster and stronger than the previous decades. If thinking those so called "champinships" from 70 years ago make you feel better about the ineptness of our franchise for the last thirty years go for it, no need to get mad. Tell Ergo I said hi!

    Well, you are wrong. You apparently were not alive when all that went down.

    As I said, players in the 70s were much, much closer to the size, strength speed of the players in the 50s than they are to today's players. That is an uncontroverted fact. Players, especially linemen did not to get like 300 pounds until the mid 80s.

    Also, the nature of the game changed far far in favor of the offense. There was no 5 yard rule, no can't hit the QB rule etc. etc.

    Otto Graham and Joe Montana were about the same height/weight.

    The Browns last champion qb, Frank Ryan was 6'3". Pretty average for today's QBs.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, you are wrong. You apparently were not alive when all that went down.

    As I said, players in the 70s were much, much closer to the size, strength speed of the players in the 50s than they are to today's players. That is an uncontroverted fact. Players, especially linemen did not to get like 300 pounds until the mid 80s.

    Also, the nature of the game changed far far in favor of the offense. There was no 5 yard rule, no can't hit the QB rule etc. etc.

    Otto Graham and Joe Montana were about the same height/weight.

    The Browns last champion qb, Frank Ryan was 6'3". Pretty average for today's QBs.

    Oh I was around back then. I just don't know what I'm talking about. LOL

  • Brady may have just secured it.

  • Brady had a great comeback but it was won on a browns - like bungle.

  • Brady may have just secured it.

    @baconhound said:

    Brady may have just secured it.

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

  • @baconhound said:

    Brady may have just secured it.

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    Zombo said:

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    I think it would be a lot less pleasant listening to Richard Seymour and Marshawn Lynch running their fat punk mouths for a year...

    WSS

  • Zombo said:

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    I think it would be a lot less pleasant listening to Richard Seymour and Marshawn Lynch running their fat punk mouths for a year...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I think it would be a lot less pleasant listening to Richard Seymour and Marshawn Lynch running their fat punk mouths for a year...

    WSS

    They don't live here either. But every guy I sit next to in a bar down here is Jimmy from Brockton or Tommy from Taunton telling me how how Brady walks on water and the ol' "How did Cleveland ever let Belichick leave?"

    We didn't. Assholes.

    Zombo

  • @westside-steve said:

    I think it would be a lot less pleasant listening to Richard Seymour and Marshawn Lynch running their fat punk mouths for a year...

    WSS

    They don't live here either. But every guy I sit next to in a bar down here is Jimmy from Brockton or Tommy from Taunton telling me how how Brady walks on water and the ol' "How did Cleveland ever let Belichick leave?"

    We didn't. Assholes.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    They don't live here either. But every guy I sit next to in a bar down here is Jimmy from Brockton or Tommy from Taunton telling me how how Brady walks on water and the ol' "How did Cleveland ever let Belichick leave?"

    We didn't. Assholes.

    Zombo

    Actually the league should have told Art Modell to go fuck himself and sell the team. Then who knows?

    WSS

  • I'd still take Farve over Brady any day.

  • @baconhound said:

    Brady may have just secured it.

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    Zombo said:

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    ^^this.

    The ring discussion is media driven sensationalism. Brady, all by himself, won the Super Bowl. He's the one who picked off Wilson, he blocked for himself and also caught all of his passes.

    This isn't basketball, and if it was Brady would be terrible at it.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, you are wrong. You apparently were not alive when all that went down.

    As I said, players in the 70s were much, much closer to the size, strength speed of the players in the 50s than they are to today's players. That is an uncontroverted fact. Players, especially linemen did not to get like 300 pounds until the mid 80s.

    Also, the nature of the game changed far far in favor of the offense. There was no 5 yard rule, no can't hit the QB rule etc. etc.

    Otto Graham and Joe Montana were about the same height/weight.

    The Browns last champion qb, Frank Ryan was 6'3". Pretty average for today's QBs.

    Oh I was around back then. I just don't know what I'm talking about. LOL

    @larryfine said:

    Oh I was around back then. I just don't know what I'm talking about. LOL

    At least you have made one accurate statements on these boards.

  • @baconhound said:

    Brady may have just secured it.

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    Zombo said:

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    It was Brady's effort that gave his team the opportunity to be in a position to take advantage of the mistake the other team made.

    I agree that the "ring game" is not the be all and end all of deciding who the GOAT is......but it is an important factor.

    Winning in the clutch.....guiding a team to a championship or to the cusp of a championship is important.

    But,no, winning this one didn't elevate Brady above the other candidates in my mind. I already had him up there.

    If you just want to go on basic innate pure passing ability....put Jeff George and Jay Cutler into your mix.

    Winning does matter.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I think it would be a lot less pleasant listening to Richard Seymour and Marshawn Lynch running their fat punk mouths for a year...

    WSS

    They don't live here either. But every guy I sit next to in a bar down here is Jimmy from Brockton or Tommy from Taunton telling me how how Brady walks on water and the ol' "How did Cleveland ever let Belichick leave?"

    We didn't. Assholes.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    They don't live here either. But every guy I sit next to in a bar down here is Jimmy from Brockton or Tommy from Taunton telling me how how Brady walks on water and the ol' "How did Cleveland ever let Belichick leave?"

    We didn't. Assholes.

    Zombo

    You are exactly right. Tell them that the official agreement that created the Baltimore Ravens occurred on February 9, 1996.

    Bill Belichick was fired as the coach of the Baltimore Ravens on February 15, 1996.

    So, BB was the HC of the NYJ for one day....and HC of the Ravens for one week.

    http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/franchises.aspx

  • Zombo said:

    Because an undrafted CB from West Alabama made a great play?

    That's why I don't play the ring game.

    If Lynch punches it in like everyone expected, then Brady hasn't won a SB in 11 years and only has one more ring than Russell Wilson.

    Pete Carroll allows his offensive coordinator to call an insipid play and Brady is now the Greatest ever.

    He was, of course, on the sideline when this was all happening to him.

    Zombo

    --I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.

    It was Brady's effort that gave his team the opportunity to be in a position to take advantage of the mistake the other team made.

    I agree that the "ring game" is not the be all and end all of deciding who the GOAT is......but it is an important factor.

    Winning in the clutch.....guiding a team to a championship or to the cusp of a championship is important.

    But,no, winning this one didn't elevate Brady above the other candidates in my mind. I already had him up there.

    If you just want to go on basic innate pure passing ability....put Jeff George and Jay Cutler into your mix.

    Winning does matter.

    @the-gipper said:

    It was Brady's effort that gave his team the opportunity to be in a position to take advantage of the mistake the other team made.

    I agree that the "ring game" is not the be all and end all of deciding who the GOAT is......but it is an important factor.

    Winning in the clutch.....guiding a team to a championship or to the cusp of a championship is important.

    But,no, winning this one didn't elevate Brady above the other candidates in my mind. I already had him up there.

    If you just want to go on basic innate pure passing ability....put Jeff George and Jay Cutler into your mix.

    Winning does matter.

    Yes, winning matters. Manning, Montana and Graham won a hell of lot of footballs games. I look at entire careers. Brady had a good game, threw two interceptions, but brought the team back, played steady. But if he lost, if Seattle scored there, I wouldn't of held it against him. He is still the same QB he was before Wilson threw that interception. A damn good one. But not my GOAT.

    Zombo

  • My Mt. Rushmore:

    ottograham03pf-1.jpgUnitas.jpgmrwlxhnaoklekxjy5p0d.jpgTom_Brady.jpg

  • <<I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.>>

    So you don't draft Steelers or Ravens players for you Fantasy Team. Do you not sell houses to Patriots fans?

  • <<I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.>>

    So you don't draft Steelers or Ravens players for you Fantasy Team. Do you not sell houses to Patriots fans?

    @chicopee-john said:

    <<I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.>>

    So you don't draft Steelers or Ravens players for you Fantasy Team. Do you not sell houses to Patriots fans?

    I sell many houses to Patriot fans.

    That's why I don't want them winning because I have to hear about it.

    Plus they are in the AFC.

    Seattle wins .... doesn't change my life.

    Patriots win ... Blah blah blah Brady, blah blah.

    And then we move into training camp and the Red Sox .... Blah blah Sox Blah blah.

    I prefer to remember the Patriots and Red Sox from the 20th century ... painfully tortured (like us) ... When the Browns were the Browns and all was right with the world.

    I didn't have to worry about drafting Ravens cause there weren't any fucking Ravens. Not much fantasy football for that matter.

    Ahh, those were the days.

    1994. I was blissfully single, living in Florida and the Browns were in the playoffs. I bame Modell for everything that has happened since.

    Zombo

  • @chicopee-john said:

    <<I wanted Seattle to win to just not to have hear how great the Patriots are from all the Patriots fans here. There are no Seahawk fans in Florida.>>

    So you don't draft Steelers or Ravens players for you Fantasy Team. Do you not sell houses to Patriots fans?

    I sell many houses to Patriot fans.

    That's why I don't want them winning because I have to hear about it.

    Plus they are in the AFC.

    Seattle wins .... doesn't change my life.

    Patriots win ... Blah blah blah Brady, blah blah.

    And then we move into training camp and the Red Sox .... Blah blah Sox Blah blah.

    I prefer to remember the Patriots and Red Sox from the 20th century ... painfully tortured (like us) ... When the Browns were the Browns and all was right with the world.

    I didn't have to worry about drafting Ravens cause there weren't any fucking Ravens. Not much fantasy football for that matter.

    Ahh, those were the days.

    1994. I was blissfully single, living in Florida and the Browns were in the playoffs. I bame Modell for everything that has happened since.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I sell many houses to Patriot fans.

    That's why I don't want them winning because I have to hear about it.

    Plus they are in the AFC.

    Seattle wins .... doesn't change my life.

    Patriots win ... Blah blah blah Brady, blah blah.

    And then we move into training camp and the Red Sox .... Blah blah Sox Blah blah.

    I prefer to remember the Patriots and Red Sox from the 20th century ... painfully tortured (like us) ... When the Browns were the Browns and all was right with the world.

    I didn't have to worry about drafting Ravens cause there weren't any fucking Ravens. Not much fantasy football for that matter.

    Ahh, those were the days.

    1994. I was blissfully single, living in Florida and the Browns were in the playoffs. I bame Modell for everything that has happened since.

    Zombo

    How long of a drive from Sarasota to Naples?

    I will be in Sarasota next Friday afternoon thru Monday evening. Short trip. Visiting relatives.

    However, I pick my friends, not my relatives so...............if the drive isnt crazy - I am thinking 3 hours minimum, I believe I owe you a drink or lunch.

    PS I have to ditch my wife first, though.

  • Zombo said:

    I sell many houses to Patriot fans.

    That's why I don't want them winning because I have to hear about it.

    Plus they are in the AFC.

    Seattle wins .... doesn't change my life.

    Patriots win ... Blah blah blah Brady, blah blah.

    And then we move into training camp and the Red Sox .... Blah blah Sox Blah blah.

    I prefer to remember the Patriots and Red Sox from the 20th century ... painfully tortured (like us) ... When the Browns were the Browns and all was right with the world.

    I didn't have to worry about drafting Ravens cause there weren't any fucking Ravens. Not much fantasy football for that matter.

    Ahh, those were the days.

    1994. I was blissfully single, living in Florida and the Browns were in the playoffs. I bame Modell for everything that has happened since.

    Zombo

    How long of a drive from Sarasota to Naples?

    I will be in Sarasota next Friday afternoon thru Monday evening. Short trip. Visiting relatives.

    However, I pick my friends, not my relatives so...............if the drive isnt crazy - I am thinking 3 hours minimum, I believe I owe you a drink or lunch.

    PS I have to ditch my wife first, though.

    @chicopee-john said:

    How long of a drive from Sarasota to Naples?

    I will be in Sarasota next Friday afternoon thru Monday evening. Short trip. Visiting relatives.

    However, I pick my friends, not my relatives so...............if the drive isnt crazy - I am thinking 3 hours minimum, I believe I owe you a drink or lunch.

    PS I have to ditch my wife first, though.

    Just a little over an hour and a half. I could even meet you in Fort Myers which is closer. Ditch the wife, hope to see you!

    Zombo

  • @chicopee-john said:

    How long of a drive from Sarasota to Naples?

    I will be in Sarasota next Friday afternoon thru Monday evening. Short trip. Visiting relatives.

    However, I pick my friends, not my relatives so...............if the drive isnt crazy - I am thinking 3 hours minimum, I believe I owe you a drink or lunch.

    PS I have to ditch my wife first, though.

    Just a little over an hour and a half. I could even meet you in Fort Myers which is closer. Ditch the wife, hope to see you!

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Just a little over an hour and a half. I could even meet you in Fort Myers which is closer. Ditch the wife, hope to see you!

    Zombo

    Send your phone number to my email address, Johnny

    Meeting in FM would give me a chance to, at least, look at my condo. That would be the first time in nearly 10 years.