Skip to content

The "other" G.O.A.T.....?

The Browns Board
17 13 542
  • Ok.....as a spin off from Gippers Goat thread, I got to thinking about this GOAT thing and how many GOATS really exist. And, base upon the QB thread, Id say there isn't a QB who stands above all the rest...meaning....there are a number of GREAT ones, but people cant come together on a consensus goat...which means there isnt one that completely stands out as the obvious choice....for QB

    But, what about the other positions......to me, there are only a hand full of players that I would considered as goats and think MOST others would pick too......ala "consensus" GOATS......of course, there will NEVER be a player everyone agrees on, cause thats impossible.....but I think there are a few slamdunks!....so, here are my slam dunk GOATS from the NFL......

    WR...Jerry Rice....The whole package. To me, no one else is even close.

    RB...Jim Brown.....another easy one for me....never will there be another JB

    LB...Lawrence Taylor......you kids need to watch his highlights...unparalleled in every way....

    DL...Reggie White/Bruce Smith.......co award.....these 2 are very close, yet both are MILES ahead of everyone else......shared greatness right here!!

    And thats it......I think every other position is open to debate and most have several players that would be appropriate.......no slam dunks.....here are a couple "proposals" though....

    OL....Bruce Mathews.....who is the first that quickly comes to mind as the best ever...

    DB...Ronnie Lott.....probably should be on my first list, but Ill see what others think....

    And Im not looking to debate the best player at every position....that would drone on forever,,,,,really just looking for opinions on "slam dunk best ever" types......got any?

    @mudfly said:

    Ok.....as a spin off from Gippers Goat thread, I got to thinking about this GOAT thing and how many GOATS really exist. And, base upon the QB thread, Id say there isn't a QB who stands above all the rest...meaning....there are a number of GREAT ones, but people cant come together on a consensus goat...which means there isnt one that completely stands out as the obvious choice....for QB

    But, what about the other positions......to me, there are only a hand full of players that I would considered as goats and think MOST others would pick too......ala "consensus" GOATS......of course, there will NEVER be a player everyone agrees on, cause thats impossible.....but I think there are a few slamdunks!....so, here are my slam dunk GOATS from the NFL......

    WR...Jerry Rice....The whole package. To me, no one else is even close.

    RB...Jim Brown.....another easy one for me....never will there be another JB

    LB...Lawrence Taylor......you kids need to watch his highlights...unparalleled in every way....

    DL...Reggie White/Bruce Smith.......co award.....these 2 are very close, yet both are MILES ahead of everyone else......shared greatness right here!!

    And thats it......I think every other position is open to debate and most have several players that would be appropriate.......no slam dunks.....here are a couple "proposals" though....

    OL....Bruce Mathews.....who is the first that quickly comes to mind as the best ever...

    DB...Ronnie Lott.....probably should be on my first list, but Ill see what others think....

    And Im not looking to debate the best player at every position....that would drone on forever,,,,,really just looking for opinions on "slam dunk best ever" types......got any?

    Don't be such a homer. Jim Brown weighed more than most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now a days he would be avearge.

  • You can't leave out DT Merlin Olsen-tied with Bruce and two others for 14 Pro Bowls (all but his last season).

  • Fainting goats are the GOATS of goats

  • QB Montana

    FB Csonka

    RB Brown

    WR Rice

    WR Moss

    TE Gonzalez

    T Willy Roaf

    T Walter Jones

    G Allen

    G Hannah

    DT Greene

    DT Lilly

    DE White

    DE Deacon ones

    OLB Taylor

    OLB Rickey Jackson

    MLB Lewis

    CB Sanders

    CB Green

    S Lott

    S Reed

    K Andersen

    P Guy

  • One RB I always want to throw into the conversation is Barry Sanders. It's a shame that dude played for the Lions for so long but his moves are stuff of legend if you ask me. A lot of the other guys in that talk were the "you know I'm coming but good luck stopping me" type of back. Sanders I'd say is the greatest RB of all time in terms of making plays in space.

    @jrb12711 said:

    One RB I always want to throw into the conversation is Barry Sanders. It's a shame that dude played for the Lions for so long but his moves are stuff of legend if you ask me. A lot of the other guys in that talk were the "you know I'm coming but good luck stopping me" type of back. Sanders I'd say is the greatest RB of all time in terms of making plays in space.

    He's got my vote. I wasn't around for JB but Sanders (and Farve) are what got me interested in football.

    Granted I might be biased due to my affiliation with the real OSU but I was also in grade school at the time and didn't realize college football was a thing back then so........Yeah. Sanders is, and always will be, a badass.

  • Here is my GOAT lineup:

    QB Manning

    FB Motley

    RB Brown

    WR Rice

    WR Hutson

    TE Gonzalez

    T Munoz

    T Groza

    G Hannah

    G Allen

    C Otto

    DT Greene

    DT Page

    DE White

    DE B. Smith

    MLB Butkus

    OLB Taylor

    OB D. Brooks

    S Lott

    S Reed

    CB Lane

    CB Sanders

    K Vinitieri

    P Guy

    ST Tasker

    Ret Cribbs

    HC Paul Brown

    Zombo said:

    Here is my GOAT lineup:

    QB Manning

    FB Motley

    RB Brown

    WR Rice

    WR Hutson

    TE Gonzalez

    T Munoz

    T Groza

    G Hannah

    G Allen

    C Otto

    DT Greene

    DT Page

    DE White

    DE B. Smith

    MLB Butkus

    OLB Taylor

    OB D. Brooks

    S Lott

    S Reed

    CB Lane

    CB Sanders

    K Vinitieri

    P Guy

    ST Tasker

    Ret Cribbs

    HC Paul Brown

    Looks pretty darn good. I won't even bother messing with it. Except, of course, at QB.

  • Ok.....as a spin off from Gippers Goat thread, I got to thinking about this GOAT thing and how many GOATS really exist. And, base upon the QB thread, Id say there isn't a QB who stands above all the rest...meaning....there are a number of GREAT ones, but people cant come together on a consensus goat...which means there isnt one that completely stands out as the obvious choice....for QB

    But, what about the other positions......to me, there are only a hand full of players that I would considered as goats and think MOST others would pick too......ala "consensus" GOATS......of course, there will NEVER be a player everyone agrees on, cause thats impossible.....but I think there are a few slamdunks!....so, here are my slam dunk GOATS from the NFL......

    WR...Jerry Rice....The whole package. To me, no one else is even close.

    RB...Jim Brown.....another easy one for me....never will there be another JB

    LB...Lawrence Taylor......you kids need to watch his highlights...unparalleled in every way....

    DL...Reggie White/Bruce Smith.......co award.....these 2 are very close, yet both are MILES ahead of everyone else......shared greatness right here!!

    And thats it......I think every other position is open to debate and most have several players that would be appropriate.......no slam dunks.....here are a couple "proposals" though....

    OL....Bruce Mathews.....who is the first that quickly comes to mind as the best ever...

    DB...Ronnie Lott.....probably should be on my first list, but Ill see what others think....

    And Im not looking to debate the best player at every position....that would drone on forever,,,,,really just looking for opinions on "slam dunk best ever" types......got any?

    @mudfly said:

    Ok.....as a spin off from Gippers Goat thread, I got to thinking about this GOAT thing and how many GOATS really exist. And, base upon the QB thread, Id say there isn't a QB who stands above all the rest...meaning....there are a number of GREAT ones, but people cant come together on a consensus goat...which means there isnt one that completely stands out as the obvious choice....for QB

    But, what about the other positions......to me, there are only a hand full of players that I would considered as goats and think MOST others would pick too......ala "consensus" GOATS......of course, there will NEVER be a player everyone agrees on, cause thats impossible.....but I think there are a few slamdunks!....so, here are my slam dunk GOATS from the NFL......

    WR...Jerry Rice....The whole package. To me, no one else is even close.

    RB...Jim Brown.....another easy one for me....never will there be another JB

    LB...Lawrence Taylor......you kids need to watch his highlights...unparalleled in every way....

    DL...Reggie White/Bruce Smith.......co award.....these 2 are very close, yet both are MILES ahead of everyone else......shared greatness right here!!

    And thats it......I think every other position is open to debate and most have several players that would be appropriate.......no slam dunks.....here are a couple "proposals" though....

    OL....Bruce Mathews.....who is the first that quickly comes to mind as the best ever...

    DB...Ronnie Lott.....probably should be on my first list, but Ill see what others think....

    And Im not looking to debate the best player at every position....that would drone on forever,,,,,really just looking for opinions on "slam dunk best ever" types......got any?

    You left out Paul Warfield.. He was a freak athlete and outstanding pass catcher.. He was a walking highlight reel...

  • Devon Hester over Josh Cribbs for me.

  • @mudfly said:

    Ok.....as a spin off from Gippers Goat thread, I got to thinking about this GOAT thing and how many GOATS really exist. And, base upon the QB thread, Id say there isn't a QB who stands above all the rest...meaning....there are a number of GREAT ones, but people cant come together on a consensus goat...which means there isnt one that completely stands out as the obvious choice....for QB

    But, what about the other positions......to me, there are only a hand full of players that I would considered as goats and think MOST others would pick too......ala "consensus" GOATS......of course, there will NEVER be a player everyone agrees on, cause thats impossible.....but I think there are a few slamdunks!....so, here are my slam dunk GOATS from the NFL......

    WR...Jerry Rice....The whole package. To me, no one else is even close.

    RB...Jim Brown.....another easy one for me....never will there be another JB

    LB...Lawrence Taylor......you kids need to watch his highlights...unparalleled in every way....

    DL...Reggie White/Bruce Smith.......co award.....these 2 are very close, yet both are MILES ahead of everyone else......shared greatness right here!!

    And thats it......I think every other position is open to debate and most have several players that would be appropriate.......no slam dunks.....here are a couple "proposals" though....

    OL....Bruce Mathews.....who is the first that quickly comes to mind as the best ever...

    DB...Ronnie Lott.....probably should be on my first list, but Ill see what others think....

    And Im not looking to debate the best player at every position....that would drone on forever,,,,,really just looking for opinions on "slam dunk best ever" types......got any?

    Don't be such a homer. Jim Brown weighed more than most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now a days he would be avearge.

    @larryfine said:

    Don't be such a homer. Jim Brown weighed more than most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now a days he would be avearge.

    Your ignorance really knows no bounds, does it.

  • QB Montana

    FB Csonka

    RB Brown

    WR Rice

    WR Moss

    TE Gonzalez

    T Willy Roaf

    T Walter Jones

    G Allen

    G Hannah

    DT Greene

    DT Lilly

    DE White

    DE Deacon ones

    OLB Taylor

    OLB Rickey Jackson

    MLB Lewis

    CB Sanders

    CB Green

    S Lott

    S Reed

    K Andersen

    P Guy

    @hauerland said:

    Not bad.

    QB Montana

    FB Csonka

    RB Brown

    WR Rice

    WR Moss

    TE Gonzalez

    T Willy Roaf

    T Walter Jones I would put in Munoz.

    G Allen

    G Hannah

    You forgot OC

    DT Greene

    DT Lilly

    DE White Reggie....or Randy (though Randy may have been a DT...but he was very good)

    DE Deacon ones

    OLB Taylor

    OLB Rickey Jackson

    MLB Lewis

    CB Sanders

    CB Green

    S Lott

    S Reed

    K Andersen

    P Guy