Stop the Piling On!
-
My .02 would be to resign Hoyer, name him the starting QB and Manziel have to beat him out in preseason. Fill in other holes we need on defensive line, Wr. , another O lineman.
My .02 would be to resign Hoyer, name him the starting QB and Manziel have to beat him out in preseason. Fill in other holes we need on defensive line, Wr. , another O lineman.
I would like to see the Browns pull off a trade for Nick Foles. Word is the Eagles REALLY want Mariotta, so this is what I do. I trade for Nick Foles and the Eagles 1st round pick of the 2016 draft (next year) and their second-round pick of the 2015 draft and some other later round pick. In exchange, I give them our pick at # 12. Based on the draft value charts:
Eagles give up: Next years # 1 (let's assume they pick ~23 next year) + Foles (assuming high 4th round value) + pick 52 + late round pick = ~1700 points
pick 12 = 1600 points.
Browns get a QB who had a great season in 2013 and shows promise but regressed in 2014 before his injury. They retain their 18th pick which hopefully they can shore up the D-line or right side of O-line. The eagles, on the other hand, now have enough assets to make a play for Mariotta. The Browns go into 2016 with 2 first rounders again, at which point if they STILL need a QB, there will hopefully be a better QB draft class.
-
The Browns will sign 2-3 big name free agents with Cameron, Gordon, Skrine, Rubin, etc all possibly being gone.
They will draft 2-4 day one starters.
I see this team only getting better.
I hope Manziel can bounce back this offseason. Big if.
Is piling on still a penalty call? Or is it all just "unnecessary roughness" now?
Anyway... it's what the media does. Feeding frenzies induced by blood in the water. AS sharks churn the water, so too do writers churn the story. Google "Cleveland Browns news" this morning and you'll find these two consecutive articles:
- Haslem's prints on Browns' woes - Toledo Blade-9 hours ago; and
- Jimmy Haslam Not the Problem, Front Office Is According to One - Dawg Pound Daily-17 hours ago
Big if.
First, you need an "if" for it to be big.
-
Is piling on still a penalty call? Or is it all just "unnecessary roughness" now?
Anyway... it's what the media does. Feeding frenzies induced by blood in the water. AS sharks churn the water, so too do writers churn the story. Google "Cleveland Browns news" this morning and you'll find these two consecutive articles:
- Haslem's prints on Browns' woes - Toledo Blade-9 hours ago; and
- Jimmy Haslam Not the Problem, Front Office Is According to One - Dawg Pound Daily-17 hours ago
Big if.
First, you need an "if" for it to be big.
Anyway... it's what the media does. Feeding frenzies induced by blood in the water.
and reaching epic proportions here in the Cleve......here the radio and written word no longer include "sports news". Now, they basically just report on personal issues and social networking types of things......
Good example.....the Cavs are hot and pushing for 1st place after an 11 game win streak....yet.....for 3 whole days, all day long, the news has only been focused on a Lebron "tweet".....
Seriously....being a "reporter" now just means regurgitating AP releases and scanning social media for dirt.....
-
Anyway... it's what the media does. Feeding frenzies induced by blood in the water.
and reaching epic proportions here in the Cleve......here the radio and written word no longer include "sports news". Now, they basically just report on personal issues and social networking types of things......
Good example.....the Cavs are hot and pushing for 1st place after an 11 game win streak....yet.....for 3 whole days, all day long, the news has only been focused on a Lebron "tweet".....
Seriously....being a "reporter" now just means regurgitating AP releases and scanning social media for dirt.....
and reaching epic proportions here in the Cleve......here the radio and written word no longer include "sports news". Now, they basically just report on personal issues and social networking types of things......
Good example.....the Cavs are hot and pushing for 1st place after an 11 game win streak....yet.....for 3 whole days, all day long, the news has only been focused on a Lebron "tweet".....
Seriously....being a "reporter" now just means regurgitating AP releases and scanning social media for dirt.....
You would think by winning games the reporting would get better but it doesn't look like it.
-
I'm glad Haslam stepped up on Wednesday, handled the press, and supported his guys. He also presented optimism and set the record straight on dysfunction. I would point out two errors: 1) Q do you know about what's on the texts? Hallam : "No" (which no one believes) My recommendation: I cannot comment on subjects that are currently a part of an on-going NFL investigation. 2) Q what is your response to claims that the management team is dysfunctional. Haslam: I don't think we're dysfunctional at all ... We straightened roles and responsibilities at an off season meeting and put together a winning plan. My recommendation: The dysfunctional parts of last year's management/coaching team are no longer with the team. (SLAM!)
-
I'm glad Haslam stepped up on Wednesday, handled the press, and supported his guys. He also presented optimism and set the record straight on dysfunction. I would point out two errors: 1) Q do you know about what's on the texts? Hallam : "No" (which no one believes) My recommendation: I cannot comment on subjects that are currently a part of an on-going NFL investigation. 2) Q what is your response to claims that the management team is dysfunctional. Haslam: I don't think we're dysfunctional at all ... We straightened roles and responsibilities at an off season meeting and put together a winning plan. My recommendation: The dysfunctional parts of last year's management/coaching team are no longer with the team. (SLAM!)
I'm glad Haslam stepped up on Wednesday, handled the press, and supported his guys. He also presented optimism and set the record straight on dysfunction. I would point out two errors: 1) Q do you know about what's on the texts? Hallam : "No" (which no one believes) My recommendation: I cannot comment on subjects that are currently a part of an on-going NFL investigation. 2) Q what is your response to claims that the management team is dysfunctional. Haslam: I don't think we're dysfunctional at all ... We straightened roles and responsibilities at an off season meeting and put together a winning plan. My recommendation: The dysfunctional parts of last year's management/coaching team are no longer with the team. (SLAM!)
Look at the 2014 Texans. New coaches, (one of them being former Browns HC Romeo Crennel) basically the same personnel and the 2-14 2013 team went 9-7 of course they had a J.J.Watt to whom they gave 100 mil and he earned every penny of it. 5 TD's no less. We are so much better off without Shanahan.
-
I believe these guys are doing their level best to put a winning team on the field so I support them. Even if some mistakes were made in the first year I believe these guys are smart enough to learn from the mistakes.
I believe these guys are doing their level best to put a winning team on the field so I support them. Even if some mistakes were made in the first year I believe these guys are smart enough to learn from the mistakes.
I agree and at this point am not convinced we really made mistakes. I haven't written off Gilbert by any means and Manziel is a toss up. I may have written him off but his checking in to rehab shows me the kid knows he has to get things straightened out. If he can get his mind right, I think he has the skill set to be a very good NFL QB, assuming we use him to his strengths and not force him in to a system that isn't his style.
I look at the draft a bit differently. My feeling is if you pull out 2-3 solid players in a draft cycle...that includes UDFA players, you have done a good job. Once the player is on the team, draft position IMO goes out the window, so if your first rounder flops but your 2nd rounder studs, it's all a wash. You can take that down to a guy like Crowell who wasn't drafted. He is a solid player. He makes up for someone else.
Teams have to get 2-3 solid players a draft. Where they come from doesn't really matter.
-
I believe these guys are doing their level best to put a winning team on the field so I support them. Even if some mistakes were made in the first year I believe these guys are smart enough to learn from the mistakes.
I agree and at this point am not convinced we really made mistakes. I haven't written off Gilbert by any means and Manziel is a toss up. I may have written him off but his checking in to rehab shows me the kid knows he has to get things straightened out. If he can get his mind right, I think he has the skill set to be a very good NFL QB, assuming we use him to his strengths and not force him in to a system that isn't his style.
I look at the draft a bit differently. My feeling is if you pull out 2-3 solid players in a draft cycle...that includes UDFA players, you have done a good job. Once the player is on the team, draft position IMO goes out the window, so if your first rounder flops but your 2nd rounder studs, it's all a wash. You can take that down to a guy like Crowell who wasn't drafted. He is a solid player. He makes up for someone else.
Teams have to get 2-3 solid players a draft. Where they come from doesn't really matter.
I agree and at this point am not convinced we really made mistakes. I haven't written off Gilbert by any means and Manziel is a toss up. I may have written him off but his checking in to rehab shows me the kid knows he has to get things straightened out. If he can get his mind right, I think he has the skill set to be a very good NFL QB, assuming we use him to his strengths and not force him in to a system that isn't his style.
I look at the draft a bit differently. My feeling is if you pull out 2-3 solid players in a draft cycle...that includes UDFA players, you have done a good job. Once the player is on the team, draft position IMO goes out the window, so if your first rounder flops but your 2nd rounder studs, it's all a wash. You can take that down to a guy like Crowell who wasn't drafted. He is a solid player. He makes up for someone else.
Teams have to get 2-3 solid players a draft. Where they come from doesn't really matter.
I haven't written off Gilbert either. Nobody could have predicted he would not live up to expectations when we drafted him. He has promised to do better next season so hopefully his actions will match what he is saying. I can overlook things if I see someone giving 100 percent and my anger with Manziel was he was paid to give us his best effort and he didn't do it. Some of that may have been his substance abuse problems and I am glad to see him going to rehab and I look forward to seeing him try again with his head in the game giving us his best effort. That is all we can ask out of someone. This club is real close to being a very good team. I keep going back to the Browns $100,000 study. it just doesn't make sense to do a study like that and not follow the recommendation.
-
Our owner has said there will be no big splash in free agency .........
Which means he thinks top players would be out of their minds to even want to come to such a dysfunctional team..... saying we wont spend is a nice way of saying we suck
-
I'm glad Haslam stepped up on Wednesday, handled the press, and supported his guys. He also presented optimism and set the record straight on dysfunction. I would point out two errors: 1) Q do you know about what's on the texts? Hallam : "No" (which no one believes) My recommendation: I cannot comment on subjects that are currently a part of an on-going NFL investigation. 2) Q what is your response to claims that the management team is dysfunctional. Haslam: I don't think we're dysfunctional at all ... We straightened roles and responsibilities at an off season meeting and put together a winning plan. My recommendation: The dysfunctional parts of last year's management/coaching team are no longer with the team. (SLAM!)
I'm glad Haslam stepped up on Wednesday, handled the press, and supported his guys. He also presented optimism and set the record straight on dysfunction.
Still catching up on all that was said, but good take on what Jimmy at least tried to do. Similar to what Kraft did prior to the Super Bowl.
Our owner has said there will be no big splash in free agency .........
Which means he thinks top players would be out of their minds to even want to come to such a dysfunctional team..... saying we wont spend is a nice way of saying we suck
Obviously your glass is nowhere near half-full...
I read "no big splash" and think, "we've conducted our review and do not see any stars coming available that will be worth the salary they will command to us".
-
Ive always considered "big splash" FA signings to basically mean popular, overpaid skill player......
Example of A BIG SPLASH.....burning the whole wad on a Dez Bryant.....or.....Suh type of player....which would cause many to dance in the street....
Where I think Farmer(and the Browns) would more likely sign 3-4 journeyman players(for the same money) and fill several needs.
This would get me dancing.....
-
Here is my honest opinion about these general issues:
The difference between the Browns and say the Patriots, is that they have (and have had) Tom Brady and we don't.
Yes....that means I don't think their owner Bob Kraft is any better of an owner than we have had in Lerner and Haslam. I think BB would have been a decent DC, but as a HC his success is fairly well much built on Brady. I don't think their scouting departments/GMs have been any better really than the Browns.
So, that's it.
-
I am enjoying it, we can develop an against the world attitude and say fuck everyone else
-
Our owner has said there will be no big splash in free agency .........
Which means he thinks top players would be out of their minds to even want to come to such a dysfunctional team..... saying we wont spend is a nice way of saying we suck
Our owner has said there will be no big splash in free agency .........
Which means he thinks top players would be out of their minds to even want to come to such a dysfunctional team..... saying we wont spend is a nice way of saying we suck
He didn't say that. He said we probably won't be as active and make as big a splash. Last year we were pretty active.
Start reading and comprehending what was written rather than read what you want to read in to it..
-
Our owner has said there will be no big splash in free agency .........
Which means he thinks top players would be out of their minds to even want to come to such a dysfunctional team..... saying we wont spend is a nice way of saying we suck
He didn't say that. He said we probably won't be as active and make as big a splash. Last year we were pretty active.
Start reading and comprehending what was written rather than read what you want to read in to it..
He didn't say that. He said we probably won't be as active and make as big a splash. Last year we were pretty active.
Start reading and comprehending what was written rather than read what you want to read in to it..
Any comments about future strategy (i.e. Draft, Mariota, trades, FA signing, etc.) mean absolutely nothing and are usually more smoke screen than anything else. The Browns need a great draft and FA and perhaps one or two UDFA's to field a team that can consistently win. Call it a drip or call it a splash, we need some quality players and I expect them to be active in FA. Maybe it's not Suh-level dollars but as a body of work, I'll be disappointed in we don't get 6 FA players including a QB and two WR's.
-
I have confidence in Ray Farmer to get us the people we need to take us to the next level. Some people cannot get past the Manziel pick but you need to be objective and look at the bigger picture and how he did with his first draft in total including his free agents he brought aboard. I think Gilbert may turn around this year and if he doesn't that would be a big disappointment.
I would think an owner like Haslam who immediately gave Pettine a vote of confidence after the last game and now his standing behind Farmer over the textgate incident will only make these guys more motivated in their jobs. JMO.
-
I have confidence in Ray Farmer to get us the people we need to take us to the next level. Some people cannot get past the Manziel pick but you need to be objective and look at the bigger picture and how he did with his first draft in total including his free agents he brought aboard. I think Gilbert may turn around this year and if he doesn't that would be a big disappointment.
I would think an owner like Haslam who immediately gave Pettine a vote of confidence after the last game and now his standing behind Farmer over the textgate incident will only make these guys more motivated in their jobs. JMO.
I have confidence in Ray Farmer to get us the people we need to take us to the next level. Some people cannot get past the Manziel pick but you need to be objective and look at the bigger picture and how he did with his first draft in total including his free agents he brought aboard. I think Gilbert may turn around this year and if he doesn't that would be a big disappointment.
I would think an owner like Haslam who immediately gave Pettine a vote of confidence after the last game and now his standing behind Farmer over the textgate incident will only make these guys more motivated in their jobs. JMO.
Then I think you will be disappointed. I think we might sign 2-3-, maybe 4 players tops.
It's hard to say how we go after free agency. I think we will add a few players. Hard to say who or what positions. Once the free agents are actually free, then we might get a better idea.
-
FA must haves are: Gipson, a WR (hopefully 2) and a QB. I think they'll be as many as 6. None might be "splash" names, but I'm OK with that. As long as they contribute and improve the overall quality of the team.
-
I think we will. People complain about Farmer and possible bust picks in round one, but the way i see it is Farmer is very good at building the bottom of the roster. As good as I have seen in a long time, be it a limited time.
So that tells me he knows what he is looking for and is good at it. If Manziel and Gilbert totally flame out, I don't think many would have predicted that, especially Gilbert. I don't think either Gilbert or Manziel would have lasted more than a couple of picks further then when we took them, so sometimes it is simply luck of the draw. Some things can't be predicted.
-
I think we will. People complain about Farmer and possible bust picks in round one, but the way i see it is Farmer is very good at building the bottom of the roster. As good as I have seen in a long time, be it a limited time.
So that tells me he knows what he is looking for and is good at it. If Manziel and Gilbert totally flame out, I don't think many would have predicted that, especially Gilbert. I don't think either Gilbert or Manziel would have lasted more than a couple of picks further then when we took them, so sometimes it is simply luck of the draw. Some things can't be predicted.
I think we will. People complain about Farmer and possible bust picks in round one, but the way i see it is Farmer is very good at building the bottom of the roster. As good as I have seen in a long time, be it a limited time.
So that tells me he knows what he is looking for and is good at it. If Manziel and Gilbert totally flame out, I don't think many would have predicted that, especially Gilbert. I don't think either Gilbert or Manziel would have lasted more than a couple of picks further then when we took them, so sometimes it is simply luck of the draw. Some things can't be predicted.
I agree. Gilbert is an awesome athlete with the second fastest 40 time of any Browns player. With his height and ability, nobody could gave predicted the year he's had. Personally, I would have gone WR because we had Skrine and many draft picks. But I can't fault the Gilbert pick with the Buffalo trade. Manziel was a total high risk / high return pick, and sometimes you have to take those risks. Nonetheless, the Browns should have learned that selecting a "falling" QB in the draft is bad news. There is a reason why other teams are avoiding the pick, and they're probably right.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login