Jones allowed to test market
-
Kokinis said....."Sean has done some good things here"....Hardly a ringing endorsement.
It makes me think they WANT to go in another direction.
-
Zombo said:
As for Jones ... I'm not in love with the guy. He's average and can be replaced. So just don't overpay him.Zombo[/b][/color]
Today's paper also reports that Cribbs will get a look at a DB position. Clearly, the new front office is beginning to catch up to Roach's evaluation of talent. Thank goodness. It's lonely up here.
-
-
I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).
Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?
-
I was thinking Chung may be high on there boards for S in second round.
-
What troubles me is that Anderson seems to be a better practice player than Quinn. Gametime that seems to change. I hope it's just posturing in order to keep the value up.
What troubles me is that Anderson seems to be a better practice player than Quinn. Gametime that seems to change. I hope it's just posturing in order to keep the value up.
Good point Sez, and I've said this for awhile. DA is a better practice player than Queen, I saw it with my own eyes. However, in actual games, those defenses can actually hit you standing back there,
Posturing is everything from here on out.
-
I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).
Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?
I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).
Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?
A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.
I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.
-
He said they are going to take a look at Cribbs at both safety and corner.
I know...Roach and I were ahead of the curve.

-
I wonder if this means they are looking at Jenkins and then a LB in the 2nd (or maybe hoping they can trade for another first to get their LB).
Someone posted the other day that Jenkins wouldn't fit in at SS. What do you look for in a FS vs. SS?
A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.
I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.
A little more physicality IMO. Jenkins is strong and athletic, but he has about 3 to 4 years to be elite at corner first. I just can't see drafting a corner with size at pick 5 and converting him to SS for run stuffing and TE responsibilities.
I'm a huge Jenkins fan, but I can't see it. We've got two decent young corners already, but Jones is not special and shouldn't be paid too much just because of need.
I agree. I think Jenkins will be a good corner. But I don't think he's the impact player you need with the #5 pick
Although it's well known that Mangini loves big physical corners.
-
I can echo the practice God that DA presents. Spent a day at training camp in Berea and came away flat out dazzled at the way his ball looks through the air. Cutting, tight and effortless motion. Guy throws a beautiful ball.
I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?
-
I can echo the practice God that DA presents. Spent a day at training camp in Berea and came away flat out dazzled at the way his ball looks through the air. Cutting, tight and effortless motion. Guy throws a beautiful ball.
I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?
I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?
I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.
I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.
-
I'm worried about Jones. Primarily because we don't have an alternative at this stage. If we go out and sign a FA why not simply have tagged Jones?
I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.
I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.
oldcow1945 said:
I'm sure it's a cost thing. I don't know the numbers but I think someone on this board said he get's over 6 mil if he's tagged.I imagine they believe they can obtain another safety for a lot less money and Mangini probably wants that cap room for other positions of need.
Yeah, what you just said.
-
For safety, the franchise tag is $6.3 million. For the transition tag, it is $5.13 million.
By not tagging Jones either way, it means we won't pay 6.3 million and don't want to start the bidding on him at 5.13 million.....and it probably wouldn't start that high, we would be stuck with that amount.
We are doing it the right way....let some other team start the bidding so we can consider beating it, or just let him go.
Some of you seem too eager to overpay for a pretty average performer.
JMO
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login